THE BROWNS BOARD

Earl Thomas is being compared you know what-to Troy Polamalu

dawgpound3

Read this :

Scouting Report: Thomas has a solid build, lean with a small waist and long limbs. He plays a FS at Texas but is asked to do a little of everything. And trust me, he does it all. Only a redshirt sophomore but his coverage skills are very good. He has great anticipation and does an excellent job of reading and diagnosing the making the big play on the ball. He's one of the most physical safetys in the draft, and has no qualms about sacrificing his body for a play. Some think that he's better suited to play a very physical CB in the NFL, to maximize his coverage skills, and try and keep his body in tact. The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

Draft Status: Thomas is only a redshirt sophomore, but if the Longhorns win a national title, there's a real chance he makes the jump to the NFL. If he did, he'd be no worse than the 2nd safety off the board and probably the 3rd defensive back which means he's probably a top 15 pick. For a player so young, but so talented all that can happen at this point is to have his game get picked apart and hurt his stock. He's not going to get any bigger or any faster or any stronger, and his skills set is what it is.

Final Analysis: Love, love love what Thomas brings to the table. He reminds me a ton of Joe Haden only playing safety. He's got good size for CB, a little undersized for a safety as physical as he is. But he's got great strength both in coverage and in run support, he runs very well, is a great leaper, and has soft hands. He can blitz when asked to, and literally anchors the back 4 of the Longhorn defense. No matter what happens for the Longhorns this year, Thomas would be foolish to return to school when his stock really can't get much higher.

Reminds me of: Troy Polamalu, S Pittsburgh Steelers-Both a little undersized, super aggressive, and able to do anything on the football field. Thomas can certainly grow into the kind of impact player Polamalu is, given the right scheme and coaching. All the physical tools are there.

Now I know if Eric Berry isn't there, we must take Thomas. He could be the next Polamalu. ;)

His versatility and his skills are simply outstanding for a guy who is a little undersized for the safety. Sounds like another player I mentioned. Yep, the next Troy polamalu. :)

Polamalu is a physical safety who can tackle like a linebacker and excels playing in the box as a blitzer attacking the line of scrimmage. Thomas is a pure centerfielder free safety who doesn't tackle well and isn't quite as physical, though he can lay the wood and isn't "soft" at all. He's closer to Ed Reed or a rich man's Reggie Nelson than he Polamalu. He does have some of intangeable qualities of Polamalu though.

Polamalu is a physical safety who can tackle like a linebacker and excels playing in the box as a blitzer attacking the line of scrimmage. Thomas is a pure centerfielder free safety who doesn't tackle well and isn't quite as physical, though he can lay the wood and isn't "soft" at all. He's closer to Ed Reed or a rich man's Reggie Nelson than he Polamalu. He does have some of intangeable qualities of Polamalu though.

Hopefully not the awful hair and the high, squeeky..should I say...gay sounding...voice.

Archived