THE BROWNS BOARD

Big Gay Ben Suspended for 4-6 Games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ame-suspension/

Report: Roethlisberger expected to get 4-6 game suspension

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 10:34 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger is expected to be suspended 4-6 games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.

The conditional suspension will be a minimum of four games, but can reportedly be reduced based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators. Counseling may wind up being part of the deal, in addition to possible random alcohol testing.

The Steelers were reportedly bracing for an eight-game suspension, so this news may come as a small relief.

If Roethlisberger were to miss four games, he could return to the team after a Week Five bye. Pittsburgh's first four lucky opponents: Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore.

Roethlisberger is expected to accept the punishment without appeal, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

I knew that 4 games would be the penalty the second I saw the Steeler's schedule. The NFL has no balls and was terrified to put the Steelers in a prime time game without Ben. It's a four game suspension, followed by a bye week and then the Browns. This is such bull crap. Way to favor certain teams over others Goodell.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew that 4 games would be the penalty the second I saw the Steeler's schedule. The NFL has no balls and was terrified to put the Steelers in a prime time game without Ben. It's a four game suspension, followed by a bye week and then the Browns. This is such bull crap. Way to favor certain teams over others Goodell.

He should have gotten a firm six.

They will be 1-3 when he comes back.

Then we will bury them and end their season ... just like last year.

Zombo

He should have gotten a firm six.

They will be 1-3 when he comes back.

Then we will bury them and end their season ... just like last year.

Zombo

i would be ecstatic if we beat them twice, but if i had to choose one to beat them, it would definitely be the week 17 game. hopefully, it will be to ruin their playoff chances... again.

This compares to Jamal Lewis suspension when the bye week was counted as one of his weeks being suspended.

But really I want to see us beat the steelers with Big Gay in there so nobody will have an excuse.

i would be ecstatic if we beat them twice, but if i had to choose one to beat them, it would definitely be the week 17 game. hopefully, it will be to ruin their playoff chances... again.

Nah, I figure that game will be for nothing more than draft position...for them (and probably for us too)

This compares to Jamal Lewis suspension when the bye week was counted as one of his weeks being suspended.

But really I want to see us beat the steelers with Big Gay in there so nobody will have an excuse.

we already did....with brady quinn nonetheless.

i dont care either way...a W is a W.

Roethlisberger suspended six games, must undergo evaluation

NFL.com

Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roetholisberger Wednesday that he 1) must undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals and 2) will be suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season for conduct detrimental to the NFL in violation of the league’s Personal Conduct Policy.

After consultation with Commissioner Goodell, Steelers President Art Rooney and the commissioner informed Roethlisberger by telephone today of the two-step approach that is designed to hold Roethlisberger accountable for his conduct and provide him an opportunity to change his behavior and establish himself as a responsible individual.

In a letter to Roethlisberger, Commissioner Goodell said that Roethlisberger must adhere to any counseling or treatment that is recommended by the professional evaluators to help him make better decisions and avoid situations that can cause legal or other problems. A professional behavioral evaluation is mandatory for anyone that has violated the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. Roethlisberger may not attend any team off-season activity after today until he has completed the evaluation and the evaluating professionals confirm with the commissioner that Roethlisberger may resume football activities. If so cleared, Roethlisberger will be able to participate in training camp and preseason games this summer.

The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger’s progress under the plan prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow the plan could result in a longer suspension, the commissioner added.

“The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline ‘even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime’ as, for example, where the conduct ‘imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person’,” Commissioner Goodell stated in his letter to Roethlisberger. “As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk. The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that ‘undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.’ By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard.”

Commissioner Goodell said his review of the matter included the extensive volume of material released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Milledgeville Police Department; public comments by and a private conversation with Georgia District Attorney Fred Bright; comments and recommendations of Roethlisberger’s representatives; a personal interview with Roethlisberger on April 13; dialogue with current players, former players, the NFL Players Association, and others; and information learned by the NFL office in the course of examining the Milledgeville matter.

Other excerpts from Commissioner Goodell’s letter:

“I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you. My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans.”

“Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare.”

“I believe it is essential that you take full advantage of the resources available to you. My ultimate disposition in this matter will be influenced by the extent to which you do so, what you learn as a result, and a demonstrated commitment to making positive change in your life.”

“In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track.”

In addition to the discipline imposed on Roethlisberger, league policy requires that NFL teams remit to the league a portion of a suspended player’s salary starting with the second suspension in a year for violations of the personal conduct or drug policies. The second such suspension in a year results in the club being assessed 25 percent of the suspended player’s forfeited salary to a maximum of $200,000. Prior to the Steelers trading him to the New York Jets, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was suspended for four games for violating the substance abuse program.

Below .500??? Are you serious??? We still have DD and Leftwich who are 2 good QB's....just keep hoping u xxxxs would actually finish above us in the division

And Charlie Batch. He could probably push for a few snaps.

Maybe Randle el is the answer?

Yeah you guys are set at QB for those six games.

lol

Below .500??? Are you serious??? We still have DD and Leftwich who are 2 good QB's....just keep hoping u xxxxs would actually finish above us in the division

Dixon and Leftwich are good QBs? I want what to know what you're smoking seriously...

Leftwich's statistics in Tampa:

Completion Percentage: 54%

Passer Rating: 71.2

Dixon's statistics:

Completion Percentage: 46%

Passer Rating: 60.8

Seems Big Gay Ben has an alcohol problem....

Being a former bar owner here in pennsylvania, I can't understand how no one is being held responsible for buying and serving alcohol to an under aged person... Also if it's true that Big Gay Ben exposed himself, wouldn't that be a contributing or a diorderly conduct offense...

As I said previously, I hope the prosecutor is enjoying his new SUV....

Peace

T.Dawg

I agree with this much: Until about mid-2008 very little of the success or failure of the Steelers had to do with BR's performance. In the last year and a half however the Steelers became a QB dependent team. And the two guys you mention are not QBs to really be relied on for a QB dependent team. It is you who are dreaming if you think that. (Plus, as mentioned they have lost their best receiver...even when BR comes back). For the Steelers to be successful again, they have to revert to the sort of team they in BR's rookie and second year. They have to be a run/defense oriented team.

Let's face it though, their running game is nothing like it was when they had a combination of Jerome Bettis/Willie Parker. You can sing the praises of Warner Mendenhall all you want, but he is not proven to be anything on the order of Bettis/Parker.

The defense might show that same strenghth that they had. The operative word being "might". They still have LeBeau running things on defense, and that is everything to them. Yes, that defense will have to carry the Steelers if they want any chance to be a playoff team.

Dixon and Leftwich are good QBs? I want what to know what you're smoking seriously...

Leftwich's statistics in Tampa:

Completion Percentage: 54%

Passer Rating: 71.2

Dixon's statistics:

Completion Percentage: 46%

Passer Rating: 60.8

Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson would be better.

I bet the suspension gets reduced and he plays in the game against us..

Um the report already states that it's a conditional suspension. If he goes through a behavioral evaluation and maintains a certain demeanor through the first 4 game suspension it will only be a 4 game suspension. The kicker is he's held out of OTA's until this psyche evaluation is complete which is total B.S. I just hope that evaluation is done much sooner than later.

lol. A 6 game suspension is MORE than harsh. A 4 game suspension is still a little rough so I don't see how anyone is getting preferential treatment for a player that wasn't even charged. You're just pissed you're still going to lose that game. Hell you'd lose that game with DD behind center.

Since when do people base Leftwich's ability on what he did in f.ucking tampa? Oh let me answer that, absolutely no one.

Well xxxxing Tampa as you describe, had some recievers in 2009. Had Kellen Winslow, Marcus Stovall, Antonio Bryant(was hurt most of time but went to cinci), and Straughter. Why is that Freeman did better than him? Not stat-wise, but on game film? Cuz Leftwich sucks nut. END OF STORY. YOU FAIL. :lol:

Since when do people base Leftwich's ability on what he did in f.ucking tampa? Oh let me answer that, absolutely no one.

What has he done to prove he is a QB capable of carrying what has become a pass first team?

One playoff berth? Losing the starting job in two different cities?

Edit: He attempted fifty one passes as a Steeler.

Double Edit: Scratch that, it was only thirty six.

Well xxxxing Tampa as you describe, had some recievers in 2009. Had Kellen Winslow, Marcus Stovall, Antonio Bryant(was hurt most of time but went to cinci), and Straughter. Why is that Freeman did better than him? Not stat-wise, but on game film? Cuz Leftwich sucks nut. END OF STORY. YOU FAIL. :lol:

He did well when he started for us and he certainly played well for the Jags. His only detriment is his slow release. All this coming from a guy whose starting QB is Jake Delhomme lol.

lol. A 6 game suspension is MORE than harsh. A 4 game suspension is still a little rough so I don't see how anyone is getting preferential treatment for a player that wasn't even charged. You're just pissed you're still going to lose that game. Hell you'd lose that game with DD behind center.

i'm not pissed about the suspension. he's getting that he deserves. i am pissed that the nfl didn't have the balls to put the steelers in a prime time game without ben.

i'm not pissed about the suspension. he's getting that he deserves. i am pissed that the nfl didn't have the balls to put the steelers in a prime time game without ben.

If he gets the full 6 it does and why would the league? They know those prime time games make money. The Steelers without Big Ben draws less of a crowd. I'm sure you wouldn't give a sh.it if the Browns weren't slated to play the Steelers week six.

Archived