THE BROWNS BOARD

Roger Goodell defends his decision to suspend Ben Roethlisberger

SJ_Browns

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5121963

So now we know what booze, bad judgment and a bathroom encounter with a 20-year-old woman did for Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger. In handing him a suspension of six games, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a powerful, undeniable message to the Steelers' star quarterback. Milledgeville (Ga.) District Attorney Fred Bright may not have been able to make a case for a sexual assault charge against Roethlisberger. But Goodell had read and heard more than enough evidence to sting Big Ben for tarnishing the league's shiny shield.

For the record, the punishment is fair. Roethlisberger is a star -- he's easily one of the 10 most recognizable faces in the league -- and that means he should be held to a tougher standard. He's one of the players whom the NFL wants and needs to market, mainly because he's a 28-year-old quarterback with two Super Bowl wins on his résumé. A man with those credentials simply can't be linked to the kind of sketchiness that has dogged Roethlisberger for almost a year.

This is the kind of logic that most of the biggest names in the league understand and accept. Now it's time for Roethlisberger to get on board with this type of thinking as well. If he thought winning championships and playing in Pro Bowls gave him the freedom to play fast and loose with his reputation, then he was sadly mistaken. If anything, those accomplishments only meant he'd encounter more restrictions on his behavior as his career progressed.

We must assume that was one of the messages Goodell imparted to Roethlisberger when they met at NFL headquarters last week. With one scandalous night of barhopping in a small Georgia town, Roethlisberger put his career, image, team and league in a compromising place that defied explanation. Goodell couldn't react to such idiocy by diminishing it or pointing out that charges hadn't been filed. He had to respond with a message that made everybody understand such recklessness -- especially by someone of Roethlisberger's stature -- will never be tolerated.

It's not even fair to compare Roethlisberger's situation with that of Colts defensive tackle Eric Foster, who faces a civil lawsuit from a woman who claims he sexually assaulted her in an Indianapolis hotel room. Foster is an obscure player who doesn't have a reported history of such problems. Roethlisberger can create chaos just by walking into a room. Every bit of negative news he's made -- including his motorcycle accident and the civil lawsuit he faces from another woman accusing him of rape in 2008 -- has spurred conversation for sports fans across the nation.

There's little doubt that Goodell's ruling will have any less of an impact. Some people will say it is way too harsh for a player who hasn't been convicted or charged with a crime. Others will wonder about the damage it will do to the Steelers' season and whether Roethlisberger can abide by the requisite conditions to reduce it.

As for this writer, the suspension does exactly what it should do -- it tells us that NFL stars who mess up these days better beware the wrath of their commissioner.

here are some more interesting bits of info from goodell and a portion of the letter he sent to ben.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...ethlisberger-/1

From Goodell's letter to Ben: "You are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans," Goodell told Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger will not be allowed to participate in the Steelers' offseason workouts until his behavior is evaluated by medical professionals. The evaluators will confer with Goodell later this summer, and if Roethlisberger is progressing he will be allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason.

Goodell noted that Roethlisberger was charged with no crime. But he said the fact that the QB provided alcohol to underage people was a factor in his decision. "There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk," he told Roethlisberger.

Goodell spoke with Georgia DA Fred Bright, who decided not to charge Roethlisberger, as he considered the punishment. He told the QB to consider the ban not only a punishment but a second chance to reform his decision-making.

"In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people," he told Roethlisberger. "I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track."

more from goodell on his decision.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...minal-charges/1

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended his decision to suspend Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday despite the absence of criminal charges against him.

Goodell banned Roethlisberger for six games under the league's personal-conduct policy. He was accused of sexual assault in Georgia on March 5, but the local DA declined to prosecute him and cited a lack of evidence needed for a conviction.

Goodell said the absence of a legal certainty did not affect his decision.

"You don't have to be convicted of a crime or even charged with a crime," Goodell said of his authority under the personal-conduct policy. "If there's a pattern of behavior that reflects poorly on yourself, your team, and the league in general, it's important for us to have early intervention to stop that behavior and to correct the behavior. And that's what our intent is here.

"Correct the behavior so that they live up to the standards people expect in the NFL."

Goodell scolded Roethlisberger in a letter announcing the suspension and said there was no doubt the Steelers QB had tarnished the league's image. Still, he ordered Roethlisberger into counseling and said his goal is to encourage the QB to make himself into a better person.

"The intention is to change the behavior," he said.

These are the two very main points the Commissioner made in his letter to Ben Roethlisberger:

First: 'The personal-conduct policy states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that ‘undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.’ By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard.”

Second: “Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare.”

How come Antonio Cromartie can be drunk at a bar and accused of assult with a deadly weapon AND have 7 children to 6 different woman?....

Doesn't assult with a deadly weapon while drunk "...undermine or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players."?

Doesn't fathering over a half-dozen children to seven non-spouses and being named in five paternity suits in two years "... raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare.”?

$500,000 of his Jet's "advanced pay" went straight to unpaid child support.

How come Goodell has yet to suspend Cromartie?

Goodell is telling Ben and all the other players in the league it's OKAY under the "higher standards" of NFL players to impreganant 6 different woman (none of which you are married to) all in a span of four years and refuse to pay the child support on them until your team gives you the needed money in an advanced pay.

after years of the nfl sucking the dick of the stools, you're bitching about unfair treatment?

Cry me a river....it about time. Go whine to someone who gives a rats ass

Well, atleast your admitting it's unfair...But the point of my thread is the message it send to the rest of the league - impregnate all the women you want and only pay child supposed if your team specifically gives you the money you owe.... The two statements Goodell made that I posted I agree with 100%. I just wish Goodell wouldn't pick and choose you has to follow his standards - every player should.

As opposed to giving him a slap on the wrist and lettong everyone know that abusong amd taking advantage of drunk college students is ok?

Hardly unfair....cromartie did something stupid while drunk and angry. Ben, on the other, repeatedly made the calculated decision to use his entourage to run cover while he bangs drunk chicks in a public bathroom.

Why am I not surprised you don't understand the difference. ...

As opposed to giving him a slap on the wrist and lettong everyone know that abusong amd taking advantage of drunk college students is ok?

Hardly unfair....cromartie did something stupid while drunk and angry. Ben, on the other, repeatedly made the calculated decision to use his entourage to run cover while he bangs drunk chicks in a public bathroom.

Why am I not surprised you don't understand the difference. ...

I'm not disagreeing with the 6 game suspension of Ben. I agree with Goodell's statement and a 6 game suspension sends a strong message....

The problem is no charges were filed in either case, but both did dumb (but legal things) while drunk at a bar. How could Ben make a "calculated decison" while drunk?

Certianly, Cromartie violated the rules according to both of Goodell's statements. If he violated the rules, why hasn't he been punished?

after years of the nfl sucking the dick of the stools, you're bitching about unfair treatment?

Cry me a river....it about time. Go whine to someone who gives a rats ass

EXACTLY! this isn't unfair treatement, ben got what he deserved. the dude is a serial sexual offender who has been doing things like this since college (and yes there are a few people with connections to miami u in ohio like rizzo that have said ben had a number of accusations that were swept under the rug by his school).

goodell was disgusted by the details of ben's behavior from what he read in the police reports and everything surrounding that situation along with the nevada situation and the 3rd sexual assualt accusation. ben is almost 30 and is hanging out with college girls and he likes to get them drunk so he can take advantage of them. no comparison at all with cromartie. i don't see ben arguing against goodell's comments, why should anyone else?

so in closing, cry me a freaking river, boo freaking hoo lol.

How do you know he wasn't? In fact, I thought he was.

I googled it and nowhere did I find anything about him ever being suspended for anything, not to specifically mention his assult with a deadly weapon incident or fathering atleast 7 kids the past 4 years to 7 different women from 5 different states. If he has, please let me know.

Best I can tell, cromartie is still under investigation...so presuming he won't face discipline is premature. Take it a step farther....reed supposedly assaulted a po. He's a known drunk as well who constantly is in the papers.

Why is he still playing?

Best I can tell, cromartie is still under investigation...so presuming he won't face discipline is premature. Take it a step farther....reed supposedly assaulted a po. He's a known drunk as well who constantly is in the papers.

Why is he still playing?

Becuase Goodell is a hypocite who never punsihes players fairly. I honestly don't know how owners, coaches and players especially can respect his rediculously obvious hypocrisy.

Best I can tell, cromartie is still under investigation...so presuming he won't face discipline is premature.

EXACTLY! that was my understanding, that cromartie was still under investigation. plus, how can anyone compare his situation to ben's? cromartie didn't rape women and get them pregnant. i'm not saying what cromartie is doing is right, because it isn't. all i'm saying is that his situation is totally different than ben's and is probably still under investiagtion.

why the hell is a steeler fan asking us these questions and filing their complaints to us lol. go holla at goodell, he's the one who made the call on ben.

btw, i'm glad bitchburgh finally got hit in the mouth. it's about time those spoiled brats get the red carpet pulled out from under them!!!

49% of pa. thinks it's a fair penalty, 26% think it's not enough of a penalty and 25% thinks it's too harsh of a penalty (7,023 votes).

52% of america thinks it's a fair penalty, 27% think it's not enough of a penalty and 21% think it's too harsh of a penalty (109,215 votes).

EXACTLY! that was my understanding, that cromartie was still under investigation. plus, how can anyone compare his situation to ben's? cromartie didn't rape women and get them pregnant. i'm not saying what cromartie is doing is right, because it isn't. all i'm saying is that his situation is totally different than ben's and is probably still under investiagtion.

why the hell is a steeler fan asking us these questions and filing their complaints to us lol. go holla at goodell, he's the one who made the call on ben.

btw, i'm glad bitchburgh finally got hit in the mouth. it's about time those spoiled brats get the red carpet pulled out from under them!!!

The situation is a bit different, but look at my thread on this issue. Look at the two quotes of Goodell talking about behavior and personal responsiblity. Cromartie's action certianly fall under Goodell's statements. Why doesn't he punish accordingly?

The atleast 6 kids in 4 years and refusal to pay child support is clear cut, not under investigation. At the very least, Goodell could meet with him and maybe suggest counseling. Instead, Goodell lets the Jets pay his child support.

Well, atleast your admitting it's unfair...But the point of my thread is the message it send to the rest of the league - impregnate all the women you want and only pay child supposed if your team specifically gives you the money you owe.... The two statements Goodell made that I posted I agree with 100%. I just wish Goodell wouldn't pick and choose you has to follow his standards - every player should.

Because having bad debt and reneging on court ordered payments is not part of the Player Conduct Policy. The policy isn't about not fathering children with women who you are currently/previously engaged in a relationship. Secondly, in many states, the child-support laws are ludicrous when considering how much the father has to pay in. Especially if the woman was "used to a particular lifestyle" that father has to continue to support that lifestyle even if he later starts earning significantly less money.

The issue is not the same, not even close to the same, as supporting underage drinking and/or fathering children irresponsibly.

As for the assault with a weapon while drunk. If memory serves, he did get suspended for that.

... but both did dumb (but legal things) while drunk at a bar.

You are assuming that what he did was legal simply because the prosecutor said he could not prosecute. While the legal requirement is to prove guilt, not innocence, don't use that as a platform to claim that what Ben did was legal.

That is something that the vast majority of us will not know for certain one way or another, but my two pence is that his activity was illegal, it just didn't satisfy the burden of proof.

You are assuming that what he did was legal simply because the prosecutor said he could not prosecute. While the legal requirement is to prove guilt, not innocence, don't use that as a platform to claim that what Ben did was legal.

That is something that the vast majority of us will not know for certain one way or another, but my two pence is that his activity was illegal, it just didn't satisfy the burden of proof.

If I can't use the court of law to see if someone has committed a crime, what do I use? You need proof to convict someone. You need reasonable evidence to charge someone. If a police investigation can't find reasonable evidence, most likely reasonable evidence doesn't exsist. If reasonable evidence doesn't exsist I will assume that person is innocent...But that's just me, you can call whoever you want guilty of any crime.

Because having bad debt and reneging on court ordered payments is not part of the Player Conduct Policy. The policy isn't about not fathering children with women who you are currently/previously engaged in a relationship. Secondly, in many states, the child-support laws are ludicrous when considering how much the father has to pay in. Especially if the woman was "used to a particular lifestyle" that father has to continue to support that lifestyle even if he later starts earning significantly less money.

The issue is not the same, not even close to the same, as supporting underage drinking and/or fathering children irresponsibly.

As for the assault with a weapon while drunk. If memory serves, he did get suspended for that.

I belive raising/supporting your child is personal conduct you are legally obligated to provide for your own children, unless you put them up for adoption. Wether or not unfair or rediculous laws come into play, Cromartie must follow them since he put himself into a situation where child support comes into play.......(remember how Browns fans from this board made the claim Ben should be suspended even if he is not gulity simply for putting himself in this situation?)

"The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.' By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

"“Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare"

I guess Goodell doesn't believe Cromartie's actions fall under these two quotes he made to Ben.

Now that the Commissioner has opened this can of worms -- where he is the arbitor of when a player 'needs effective intervention' because of embarrassing-but-not-criminal behavior, he must be consistent in his application of the wildly expanded personal conduct policy by suspending jokers like Antonio Cromartie, whose conduct clearly not only undermines the integrity and reputation of NFL players, but also undermines the integrity of human males.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/14043-p...-james-harrison

the list goes on with steeler players getting away with shit. you cite one other player and claim conspiracy. how many women need to fall to angry/stupid steelers before suspension is ok in your eyes?

According to the court of law, James Harrison has never been convicted of assult.

If I can't use the court of law to see if someone has committed a crime, what do I use? You need proof to convict someone. You need reasonable evidence to charge someone. If a police investigation can't find reasonable evidence, most likely reasonable evidence doesn't exsist. If reasonable evidence doesn't exsist I will assume that person is innocent...But that's just me, you can call whoever you want guilty of any crime.

Millions of people do illegal things every day, and they aren't charged, arrested, questioned, or what have you. Just because they aren't prosecuted, does not mean that they are not guilty of their crime.

You can certainly use the legal argument if you wish. That is your prerogative. However, whether he knew about it or not, everyone knows he is at the very least guilty of providing alcohol to an underage drinker.

Why is it, that of all the thousands of professional athletes (not just football players) who make millions of dollars, you can't find another single story quite like this? Perhaps because he IS guilty and just got off on a technicality?

Lets not be stupid because of homerism here.

Archived