THE BROWNS BOARD

Carlton Mitchell

CLEVELandMILIDH

in honor of post-Mom's Day here's a cool story that highlights his Mom's influence and his character.

A Receiving Prospect Has His Mother in His Corner

AVENTURA, Fla. — One day during his sophomore season at the University of South Florida, Carlton Mitchell pulled on a pair of sweat pants that had once belonged to the boxer Antonio Tarver, a family friend.

Some of the hand-me-downs that Mitchell receives from Tarver, a former light-heavyweight champion, still have their store tags attached. But this tracksuit had clearly been worn. When Mitchell dug his hands into the pockets, he found $1,000 in hundreds.

In the lead-up to this week’s N.F.L. draft, Mitchell has been like that wad of bills in his pocket: an unexpected find for the league’s talent evaluators, a pleasant surprise.

With a 40-yard-dash time of 4.49 seconds at the scouting combine in February, Mitchell flew onto N.F.L. teams’ radar. And at South Florida’s pro day last month, he continued to impress, improving that 40 result in front of a group that included Giants Coach Tom Coughlin.

Mitchell is 6 feet 3 inches and 215 pounds, with winged feet and hands so big they swallow most that he shakes. Last season, as a junior, he had 40 catches for 706 yards and 4 touchdowns.

If Mitchell’s physical gifts are the bait, some receiver-starved team may decide to reel him in in large part because of his character, perhaps as early as the second round. After he found the money in Tarver’s discarded sweat pants, there was never any doubt in his mind what he would do.

“It felt better giving it back to him,” he said. “It wouldn’t have felt right spending it.”

Speaking by telephone last week, Tarver said: “It was forgotten money. He didn’t have to give it back, but Carlton’s just that type of kid.”

Tarver and Mitchell are not related, but there is a blood connection. Both have the same strong woman in their corner; Mitchell’s mother, Angela, a nurse anesthetist in Tampa, has worked as a cut man for Tarver, the first fighter to knock out Roy Jones Jr.

She got her start in boxing several years ago when a doctor heard her talking about the sport in the break room and asked if she had any interest in working a bout in Tampa.

Tarver acknowledged that he was not initially keen on having a woman in his corner, but came around after he saw Angela Mitchell keep a local boxer in a match that he eventually won.

She raised Mitchell, 22, and his sister by herself after her divorce from Carl Mitchell, who played professional basketball for more than 10 years in Europe. One of the few predivorce memories Mitchell said he had of them as a family was a trip to the zoo when he was 6 when he chased — and caught — a squirrel, which then bit him.

His mother confirmed the story. “That’s when I knew he’s a heck of an athlete,” she said.

Angela Mitchell’s shifts at the hospital required her to rise before dawn, so Mitchell learned to set his alarm for 6 a.m. every weekday so he could shuffle into her room and talk with her for 30 minutes while she fixed her hair and applied her makeup.

They would discuss the news of the day. Sometimes, Mitchell’s mother would read him newspaper accounts of people who were in trouble, and they would talk about how and where they went wrong.

“I’d ask him, ‘What would you do different?’ or ‘How would you handle this situation?’ ” Angela Mitchell said.

During his freshman year in high school, Mitchell surprised his mother by announcing he was trying out for the football team.

“I walked off laughing,” she said. “I didn’t even think he knew the rules. Then he came home and said: ‘Guess what, Mom? I made the team!’ I was shocked. I said, ‘What position?’ ”

Mitchell started out as the punter. But in one of his first games, he leapt to retrieve a high snap and took off running. When he returned to the sideline, he said, the coach turned to him and said, “Son, do you want to play some receiver?”

When Mitchell decided to forgo his final season at South Florida to make himself available for the draft, he heard from a lot of people who thought he was making a mistake. They told him that he would have a chance to grow into a first-round pick if he stayed in college for another year of seasoning. Mitchell was unbowed.

“I’m not a follower,” he said. “I travel to the beat of my own drummer. I know what I want in life, and I just feel like this is my time.”

Tarver says that the people who suggest Mitchell is setting himself up to fail are, in effect, helping him succeed.

“Sometimes, you need the naysayers,” Tarver said. “If you have everybody picking your coat, sometimes you take shortcuts.”

Mitchell spent most of February and March working out in Miami, a short walk from a beach and a nightlife that he said he forsook to focus on perfecting his routes, decreasing his dropped passes and improving his diet.

“I learned from being around boxers that one night of drinking cancels out two weeks of working out,” Mitchell said.

He may avoid the social scene, but he is not antisocial. In fact, Mitchell has the same outgoing personality as his mother.

“In the elevator, if you make eye contact, we’re about to talk,” he said, laughing.

He grows serious when he talks about his mother’s influence on his life.

“She’s always been my main motivation,” Mitchell said. “I always try to do the right thing for her. I don’t ever want to make her look bad.”

Angela Mitchell will be proud to see her son drafted, but no more so than she was the day she received the call from Tarver about the money Mitchell returned that Tarver had not even missed.

“I was just like, ‘Thank you, Jesus,’ ” she said. “He didn’t have any money, and he would do that? I always taught him to do the right thing. I told him, ‘You have to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of who you are.’ ”

Her voice cracked. “I guess Carlton was listening,” she said.

nothing new here but a decent article nonetheless

Cleveland Browns: Rookie Wide Receiver Carlton Mitchell Can Be an Impact Player

by J Gatskie

Correspondent Written on April 29, 2010

Carlton Mitchell, the 6'3" 215lb wide receiver from South Florida can have an immediate impact on the Browns. He fell to the Browns in the sixth round where they quickly pounced on him.

He has an elite size-speed combination with a 4.49 40 yard dash at the combine and huge hands and was projected by many, including CBS Sports, to be a second or third round pick. Michell ran 4.40 40 at his pro day and is reputed to have run in the range of 4.27.

After watching video of his combine workout and season highlights (www.carltonmitchell.net) I can definitely attest to his explosiveness for his size.

He has the prototypical build of a No. 1 receiver and can go up and make a catch in traffic and is willing to go across the middle.

In 2009 he had 40 receptions for 706 yards and four touchdowns.

The major knock on Mitchell is that he uses his chest to catch too many balls. This is a correctable flaw with hard work on the jugs machine and with Browns quarterbacks and whoever else he can get to throw to him.

His route running needs some refinement which is why he projects primarily as a vertical threat early in his career.

The Browns current receivers are Josh Cribbs, Mohamed Massaquoi, Chansi Stuckey, Brian Robiskie, and Jake Allen. There is not a true vertical threat in the group and that is where Mitchell can have the biggest impact as a rookie.

With Mitchell stretching the field, that would open things up for Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs and to a lesser extent Robiskie underneath and on the intermediate routes.

Of course the Browns could still add a veteran receiver before the start of the season and depending upon what type of receiver he is will depend on what happens to Mitchell.

If he is a burner, then Mitchell will probably be relegated to the bench and special teams. However, if he is a possession receiver, i.e. a Joe Jurevicius, then Mitchell will still have a chance to work his way into the lineup at the expense of Robiskie or Stuckey.

According to contributor, Richard Baird, Mike Holmgren identified speed as the biggest need for the Browns receiving corp headed into the draft. Mitchell fills that need and gives Delhomme a nice, big target to hit while he does it.

Mitchell is a deeply religious young man who is close to his family and has a wonderful reputation as a humanitarian.

http://www.carltonmitchell.net

aapparently this is his site, the heading at the top reads: "Cleveland, I'm home!"

love the way he's embracing the city>>>making that page and even joining us here on TBB. it might not mean much to some but i dig it.

http://www.carltonmitchell.net/interviews

Carlton: "she's an anesthesiologist and it went from there".

Jay Crawford (dumbass interviewer): "what's her background?"

Carlton: "she's an anesthesiologist"

lmao try listening dumbass!

One thing i'll say, i don't think Robiskie or anyone is guaranteed playing time. So if this kid comes in and shows something, he very well could see the field sooner than we think. As Mangini has always said, he doesn't care where you were drafted, he just cares about the kind of work you put in. While i imagine Robo has an itch to scratch, in terms of showing something, talent and heart combined together could win the day.

OK, I seldom make predictions, but here is one.....Carlton Mitchell WILL be our deep threat, & a good one. I won't say this year or next, but the kid understands his shortcomings & seems as if he will be VERY easy to coach. He may have some shortcomings similar to Braylon's, but his attitude is a lot different.

Mike

About the only Florida team I pay much attention to is in Gainesville.

I have a brother who lives in the Tampa Bay area....he's a brownie as well....and he gives me glowing reports on the kid....says we got the steal of the draft.

He thinks the kid will contribute in a big way early in his career. Thinks he will be every bit as good as Colston who was a 7th rounder for N.O.

I say even if he isn't quite that good, we have a player who is going to make us all very happy.

um...i'm pretty sure he didn't. ;)

a physical specimen with solid hands, immense heart, high character, AND leadership ability?!? awww Heck, Mangini...and it's not even my birthday!

As much as I hope this is the case its hard for me to actually think that a pro bowl WR is the poor mans version of a sixth round pick who hasn't even made the team yet. I dont understand why people get so optimistic every year about our picks when we consistently draft half ass.

The chance of any of our picks in rounds 5-7 making teh team are very slim. The same goes for the undrafted Free Agents. But you at least when you look at these guys you get a clear vision of what the team saw in them and that makes me feel good about Mangini and Heckert. Mitchell looks incredibly talented and pretty fricken fast. You can't really tell how well he runs routes or reads zones, but from that footage but you can see that he gets open a lot. And considering he was their only WR, that makes me feel good.

Asante was the 5th rounder.....he makes the team.

Carlton makes the team....Heckert won't let him get cut if he is a bubble player....why not keep him over Stuckey as an example??

Geathers was the 6th rounder....somehow I think that guy makes the team.....but....maybe not....he probably faces the stiffest challenge for a spot.....he could end up a P.S. player.

I think you are off on your projections Mo....I think at least 2 of the 3 make the team.

Look at it this way Mo....we weren't a very good team last year, so all things being even close to equal spell new blood on the roster.

As much as I hope this is the case its hard for me to actually think that a pro bowl WR is the poor mans version of a sixth round pick who hasn't even made the team yet. I dont understand why people get so optimistic every year about our picks when we consistently draft half ass.

I was pleased with last year's draft, but prior to that I wasn't as I didn't trust the FO & scouting staff. Keep in mind that this is NOT the same FO as we've had before. We have PROS in there now & I think it shows. Please don't compare these guys with past regimes.

I WILL say that I am VERY excited about this year's draft. I think they did very well, but only time will tell.

Mike

I was pleased with last year's draft, but prior to that I wasn't as I didn't trust the FO & scouting staff. Keep in mind that this is NOT the same FO as we've had before. We have PROS in their now & I think it shows. Please don't compare these guys with past regimes.

I WILL say that I am VERY excited about this year's draft. I think they did very well, but only time will tell.

Mike

Last years draft was nothing special aside from MoMass and Mack. Mack could eventually be a pro bowl cailber center and I think MoMAss could be a very good number 2 WR. And I think the previous regime did a ok job drafting and signing undrafted rookies it was just Savages fee agent signings that were a bit crazy. As far as this regimes being "pro's" imo if you look at Holmgrams draft as the Seahawks GM for the 4 years he held that position he did an aweful job and I think it was a worse job then Savage or Butch Davis before him did. Savage had a pretty decent eye for young talent.

Heckert though I will say had some very good drafts with the Eagles, but we will see how he does with the Browns. I kind of shake my head when people give Holmgram all this praise because he was a terrible GM w the Hawks.

This draft definitly has some potential but I need to see these guys perform before I buy into it as I feel like our second round was filled with reaches and in my opinion we definitly left some good players at positions we needed on the board. Personally I would have gambled on Bruce Campbell either over Lauvao or they could have potentailly traded back into the fourth to grab him. I would have also liked to see Myron Rolle instead of Asante. I feel like the upside on both of those guys is really good thats just my opinion though and obviously the FO know more then I do about these kids and they obviously saw something in the guys we drafted I am just stating a draft I would have been excited about. And I think Campbell would have been a great value pick in the third round just like I think he is a great value pick for the Raaiders who got him in the fourth

All I am saying is at the end of the day I hope this FO turns it around but I have gotten excited for previous regimes and thought they were gonna turn things around and haven't so I am done getting excited at the unknown.

Could Carlton Mitchell be good and a Marques Colston kinda find? Absolutely and I hope that is the case ... but the reality is he could also be Paul Hubbard or Travis Wilson and I would say that is the greater possibilty

jnuh i know just what you are saying. i have been let down too but i still fall for it, every year i get the warm fuzzies about the leggets, bells, pittmans, and purcells and i hear ya. but i won't stop cuz i love f.ucking presents. and i can't really agree on savage's eye for talent but i do about Heckert. i felt good about him running the board and liked what they came away with in retrospect.

and i hear you about Holmgren too. the press is the worst, they've been crowning the big show since before he showed up. it's been crazy! the guy is apparently NFL royalty or something. i don't understand it. but i have decided not to fight it anymore and just embraced it. it's really not so bad. not nearly as bad as feeling a warm spot in a public pool or shutting your thumb in a car door--not nearly! and i figured if Mangini doesn't mind then hell let Holmie the Walrus have his moment in the sun then.

Did you mean CM is a poor mans Braylon?

Sisky is correct. I meant exactly what I said. Carlton has Braylon's skill set without a history of dropped balls and a much better head on his shoulders. So yeah, I see Braylon as a poor man's Carlton. Carlton has a chance to become what Braylon was supposed to be for us except he was picked in the 6th round.

Thanks Phil Savage,

mopaji

All I am saying is at the end of the day I hope this FO turns it around but I have gotten excited for previous regimes and thought they were gonna turn things around and haven't so I am done getting excited at the unknown.

Could Carlton Mitchell be good and a Marques Colston kinda find? Absolutely and I hope that is the case ... but the reality is he could also be Paul Hubbard or Travis Wilson and I would say that is the greater possibilty

A few of the article's in regard to Carlton also stated that this kid could've been a second or third round pick -talent-wise-. So, in terms of thinking, we potentially got a higher level talent than where he was drafted. As you saw with a few of the player you like, it can happen and happen pretty easily. He very easily could turn out to be a Travis Wilson who sadly was drafted way higher than he had any right to be or Glue-hands Hubbard, who was picked because a HOF'er suggested we take a look at the kid. The teams talent at WR is a perfect in terms of creating a shot for this kid though, so it was a logical pick for us and a perfect spot for him.

Sisky is correct. I meant exactly what I said. Carlton has Braylon's skill set without a history of dropped balls and a much better head on his shoulders. So yeah, I see Braylon as a poor man's Carlton. Carlton has a chance to become what Braylon was supposed to be for us except he was picked in the 6th round.

Thanks Phil Savage,

mopaji

If CM had Braylons skillset coming out of college he would have been a top 5-10 pick just like Edwards was. Its not like Savaged reached for Braylon. Braylon should have been a top 5 pick and when Braylon had good QB play he had a monster year. You tend to forget Braylon had a bunch of ham and egger QBs throwing him the ball like Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn, and an assortment of other junk who made apperances. Lets see what CM does with Delhomme, Seneca Wallace and whoever else ends up QBing this team this season

Again to say Braylon, who has actually had a pro bowl season in the NFL, is a poor mans version of a sixth round pick who hasn't even made a team yet is a bit extreme.

He had some speed at his pro day atleast I am not gushing at a 4.9 at the combine.

We can use those as parameters.....so he is in the middle somewhere, though the bottom end tends to tip things in his favor and makes the 4.9 look more a fluke than an actual measure.

Say he runs a 4.55 as a norm.....plenty of speed....plus, speed in receivers is a bit over rated. What a receiver does to juke his defender or how he comes out of cuts is more the determining factor on if he is open or not....unless you are just using the guy to run fly patters all game long.

Does anyone recall or have MoMass or Robo's times to compare with?

I have no idea what they ran.

Bottom line is anybody can post up a time well below a normal time for any number of reasons. It doesn't take much to lose half a second.

On the other hand, it is hard if not impossible to post up a time significantly faster than your normal sprint time. A guy isn't all of a sudden going to run the 40 a half a second faster than he ever has.

I think it is safe to say he has 4.4 - 4.5 speed.

Archived