THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren on McCoy and other picks

Zombo

Holmgren happy yet cautious on McCoy; Browns tried for No. 1 pick

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- The Colt McCoy Show won't open anytime soon in Cleveland.

With Browns fans already fired up by their team's third-round selection of McCoy, president and in-house quarterback savant Mike Holmgren said Saturday that there are no plans to play the Texas quarterback as a rookie.

Despite his pedigree, McCoy just isn't ready, and Holmgren won't force the quarterback on coach Eric Mangini.

Not yet, at least.

"He's not going to play this year," Holmgren said Saturday as he wrapped up his first Browns draft. "Things could change, but I don't expect him to play. We have three quarterbacks already here that we feel very good about. The best thing that might be able to happen to him is that he just sits, watches, learns and make the transition into the pro game."

McCoy might have other ideas, but the Browns, who scooped him up with the 85th overall pick, don't want to make a mistake with their potential franchise quarterback. Too often, Holmgren has seen rookie signal-callers suffer irreparable damage because they were prematurely shoved onto the field.

"You really run the risk of scarring the kid a little bit," Holmgren said.

Cleveland's quarterback carousel spun throughout the offseason. The Browns traded Brady Quinn, once viewed as the franchise's savior, to the Denver Broncos. Derek Anderson, a Pro Bowl pick in 2007, was released, then signed with the Arizona Cardinals. The Browns signed Jake Delhomme as a free agent after his dismal season with the Carolina Panthers and also acquired Seneca Wallace from the Seattle Seahawks in a trade. Brett Ratliff remained on Cleveland's roster as the third-stringer.

The Browns entered the draft intent on adding a young quarterback and tried to go all the way to the top to take one.

Holmgren made a last-ditch effort to pry the No. 1 overall pick from the St. Louis Rams and draft Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. When the Rams, who were noncommittal in preliminary talks with the Browns, didn't sign Bradford before the draft, Holmgren took one last shot.

Holmgren called Rams general manager Billy Devaney 20 minutes before Thursday's first round began with "an offer at the limits of what I was willing to do."

Holmgren didn't give specifics of his offer.

"I thought it was a pretty good deal based on what's been done historically in the last few years," said Holmgren, adding it wasn't the Browns' entire cache of picks, like then-New Orleans Saints coach Mike Ditka once did to draft running back Ricky Williams. "He (Devaney) said just, 'Mike, we're going to take him.' He probably got tired of us. It was getting close. He had to decide."

Cleveland's Plan B, it turns out, was McCoy.

The Browns never imagined McCoy lasting until the third round, but when he was still around after the team twice passed on chances to take him, Holmgren convinced Mangini and general manager Tom Heckert to select the winningest quarterback in NCAA history.

The pick delighted Browns fans, who flooded radio talk shows with positive feedback. Cleveland has featured eight different opening-week quarterbacks since 1999, with each of them being labeled as the one to finally deliver the Browns a Super Bowl title.

NFL ShopMore Cleveland Browns Gear >

Holmgren knew McCoy's selection would cause a stir.

"When we decided to do it, Eric leaned over to me and said, 'You know, this is going to get people going pretty good,'" Holmgren said. "And I said, 'Yeah.' But that's not why I did it. Honestly. Had we used picks and traded up to create something, then I probably would have went home and wondered, 'Was that the right thing to do?' But the way it happened, I'm glad there's a buzz. I think it's healthy, and I think it's a good thing that it gets people going."

But Holmgren cautioned Browns fans to remain patient, which isn't exactly one of their strong points.

"We have some other quarterbacks who've come in to do some other things," Holmgren said. "Colt's one of four. But I'm glad there's a buzz."

On the draft's third day, the Browns addressed some depth issues by taking Nebraska safety Larry Asante, South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchell and defensive end Clifton Geathers, whose brother, Robert, plays for the Cincinnati Bengals and whose uncle, Jumpy Geathers, also played in the NFL.

"He's a monster," Heckert said of Clifton Geathers, a 6-foot-8, 300-pounder who has a 7-footer's reach.

Geathers isn't bashful, either.

"I'm a freaky guy," he said. "With a little polishing and coaching, I'll be the best person probably in the league."

Cleveland's first draft under Holmgren and Heckert was split, as the Browns selected four defensive players and four on offense. The team patched up a major weakness in its secondary by taking Florida cornerback Joe Haden with the No. 7 pick and Oregon safety T.J. Ward, a punishing hitter and one of several players whom Heckert called "tough."

HQ video delivered by Akamai

"I enjoy whenever you can describe a player that way, it's much better than the alternative," Mangini said. "It's tough to coach soft."

But the biggest selection, the one that will be scrutinized for years and could eventually define Holmgren's tenure, is McCoy, who will be motivated by being passed over by 31 teams.

The plan is to bring McCoy along slowly, but as been shown in the past, plans can easily be wrecked by injuries, impatience or outside pressure. McCoy will arrive in Cleveland believing he can step in and lead the Browns, and he won't be the only who thinks that.

But Holmgren, who helped groom Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett Favre, knows better.

"He's going to say 'I'm going to go in and I'm going to start' because he's been told that since he was a little guy," Holmgren said. "The truth is, that doesn't happen at that position, usually. He strikes me as the type of kid, I don't know how much you have to nurture him."

At that point, Mangini, criticized for being too harsh on his players, jumped in, leading to an amusing exchange.

"And I'm known for my nurturing," he said.

"You are, you're very nurturing," Holmgren said.

"I am," Mangini said. "That's my reputation."

It won't matter....fans will ne cheering any injuries to the qbs before him, and chanting for mccoy at jakes first int

Colt definitely needs time to watch and learn im not saying he couldnt start and do alright but having delhomme and wallace certainly takes the pressure off the kid ,staff and hopefully the fans will accept it..however BQ syndrome does have to cross ones mind lets just hope the new regime gives colt an honest and fair shot down the road...i really hate QB bungling coaches and so far i have to perceive mangini as a potential bungler not to indifferent from romeo so lets hope holmgren can teach mangini the nuances of QB grooming and patience....

Never say never. But I would tend to believe that we wait and be patient on McCoy, so that he may develop as a player.

Men like Holmgren have to have thick skin and dont give into being pressured by the fans or media. So when he says he wont play this year we should be done with it. If Tim Couch could of had a year or two to develop instead of rushing him into action he may of had a deeper career.

Never say never. But I would tend to believe that we wait and be patient on McCoy, so that he may develop as a player.

Men like Holmgren have to have thick skin and dont give into being pressured by the fans or media. So when he says he wont play this year we should be done with it. If Tim Couch could of had a year or two to develop instead of rushing him into action he may of had a deeper career.

I think you're exactly right. Holmgren, above all else, knows he got a better project than expected. He's not going to rush him...but knowing The Colt, he's going to be chomping at the bit to get in there. They're gonna have to hide his helmet.

At that point, Mangini, criticized for being too harsh on his players, jumped in, leading to an amusing exchange.

"And I'm known for my nurturing," he said.

"You are, you're very nurturing," Holmgren said.

"I am," Mangini said. "That's my reputation."

I know right now we're in the honeymoon phase of the Holmgren/Mangini marriage, but it seems like these guys genuinely like each other.

Holmgren's presence has allowed Mangini to open up a bit with the lighter side of his persona, one that he didn't really feel comfortable revealing before. Holmgren's voice has established credibility with just about everything that's gone on, shielding Mangini from the incessant media attacks he had to face last year.

I can't say enough about the importance of all this. There is no question this organization, with the Trinity in place, is leading this franchise out of the decade of darkness. I just hope, I really truly hope, that we can get to the Big One and win it before Art Modell buys the farm. That would be sweet justice.

I know right now we're in the honeymoon phase of the Holmgren/Mangini marriage, but it seems like these guys genuinely like each other.

Holmgren's presence has allowed Mangini to open up a bit with the lighter side of his persona, one that he didn't really feel comfortable revealing before. Holmgren's voice has established credibility with just about everything that's gone on, shielding Mangini from the incessant media attacks he had to face last year.

I can't say enough about the importance of all this. There is no question this organization, with the Trinity in place, is leading this franchise out of the decade of darkness. I just hope, I really truly hope, that we can get to the Big One and win it before Art Modell buys the farm. That would be sweet justice.

I agree, and think Mangini will respond and become an even better coach.

No matter how chiseled you are, you can't but help hear some of the comments and have them have some impact.

The Browns are in a great spot with the QB situation now. If Jake gets injured, or falters badly enough, bring Seneca in. These guys have both done good jobs IN the NFL & we can truly take the time to develop Colt the RIGHT way.

As far as the Coach goes....From what I am seeing & hearing, NO ONE has benefited more from the hiring of Holmgren than Mangini. Props go to Mangini for his apparent open mind in his dealings with the big guy.

I wouldn't make any predictions as far as "on field" record goes, but there are still viable unsigned Free Agents out there, maybe some trade possibilities, & we'll see what happens, but it seems to me there's a darned solid plan in place.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

The Browns are in a great spot with the QB situation now. If Jake gets injured, or falters badly enough, bring Seneca in. These guys have both done good jobs IN the NFL & we can truly take the time to develop Colt the RIGHT way.

As far as the Coach goes....From what I am seeing & hearing, NO ONE has benefited more from the hiring of Holmgren than Mangini. Props go to Mangini for his apparent open mind in his dealings with the big guy.

I wouldn't make any predictions as far as "on field" record goes, but there are still viable unsigned Free Agents out there, maybe some trade possibilities, & we'll see what happens, but it seems to me there's a darned solid plan in place.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

Mike, I agree that EM benefitted from Holmgren. Perhaps it's the mentoring aspect of it. I would add though that these two guys were brave enough to go against the preconceptions. They were brave enough to marry the Walsh and Parcells trees which has never been done. It seems to be going very smoothly and respectfully. I love the experiment.

Two things I heard this weekend that I really liked

1)The presser after the Haden selection...Heckert and Mangini,none of the secret spy double agent B/S we got last year,Heckert

answered most of the questions but Mangini jumped in too and shot straight from the hip,no Belichick bull,no shuffle around stare at the desk,play with the mic,just answered the questions...."Yes we liked Thomas very much....Yes we liked Wilson...we just felt Haden was the best fit"

2) Holmgren mentioned during an interview that "The more I'm around Eric the more I'm convinced I made the right coaching decision"

Mike, I agree that EM benefitted from Holmgren. Perhaps it's the mentoring aspect of it. I would add though that these two guys were brave enough to go against the preconceptions. They were brave enough to marry the Walsh and Parcells trees which has never been done. It seems to be going very smoothly and respectfully. I love the experiment.

I doubt much mentoring has gone on at this point, and that is a process that takes time....not a few months.

As stated by someone before....the single biggest thing Holmgren did for Mangini was coming out and saying Mangini is a good coach and he was going to keep the guy.

All the media members and fans on the Mangini death watch pretty much shut up within a few days.

I doubt much mentoring has gone on at this point, and that is a process that takes time....not a few months.

As stated by someone before....the single biggest thing Holmgren did for Mangini was coming out and saying Mangini is a good coach and he was going to keep the guy.

All the media members and fans on the Mangini death watch pretty much shut up within a few days.

peen...I was thinking of the "mentoring aspect" going forward (not "to date")

Raiders/Longhorn fan here to applaud your pick of Colt McCoy. I think you got an absolute steal in the third round. I think he may end up being the best QB of this class. He was only the most accurate QB in NCAA history.

Yeah. He's only 6' 1" tall but I've been watching him for 4 years at UT and he is an absolute winner and has a great attitude about everything. He beat the snot out of Bradford 3 out of 4 years and Bradford had way more weapons.

You guys should be very excited. And he gets to sit for a year and learn from Holmgren - a great situation.

I think you finally have the QB that will take you to the top of this division.

Good luck and God Bless!

A friendly Raiders fan...

Archived