THE BROWNS BOARD

So Who Starts Next Week?

irishlass

Greythan I can see how my post could be construed as a justification for DA. It really is not meant that way.

In a small sample of three games is not enough to examine what BQ may or may not be, he is not trending well but that can reverse. I am using Quinns failure to illustrate a much deeper flaw in our SYSTEM that has greatly affected TWO qbs now.

If BQ can deliver on midrange precision throws that will loosen the tight short coverage, the problem BQ faces that DA did also was CONSISTENCY with other contributing skill players. Outside of Winslow who BQ locks on just like DA did for one simple reason..... He consistently actually delivers. NO ONE ELSE DOES in the WR corps.

I am not saying our running game was not working last game more of how and often it was utilized by Chud, Harrison was used more often and early and Jamal is great in bursts.

Outside of Winslow BQ or DA has: BE........ Stallworth(recently for BQ not much for DA), steptoe, sanders, cribbs. Jamal numbers are WAY down and Harrison under utilized. That is not a recipe for success for any QB.

The hyper criticism of DA imho was not really accurate and now with Quinn who I think is actually more efficient in terms of comp ratings now tanking only further illustrates to me the same premise I had this entire season. When I was accused of being and apologist for DA because I talked about lack of consistent skill players and predictable Play calling from Chud along with decreased rushing contribution.

Remember the "cockpit" theory? Or locking onto and forcing it to Winslow to often, poor decsions making not route running or playcalling?

DA is not perfect by a mile but this BQ debacle only strengthens the systematic skill player plus oc play calling and rushing game decrease failure. I dont really blame BQ yesterday for much except for one pick. Stallworth is a bit mystifying in his disapperance or that might be Quinn not looking for him.

Sev, its comments like this that make it hard to give credence to your position.

First:

In a small sample of three games is not enough to examine what BQ may or may not be

Then:

The hyper criticism of DA imho was not really accurate and now with Quinn who I think is actually more efficient in terms of comp ratings now tanking only further illustrates to me the same premise I had this entire season.

DA is not perfect by a mile but this BQ debacle only strengthens

The rest of your post is based upon the following premise:

1) Quinn's results have been poor; therefore

2) Holding DA accountable for his results is faulty: its not DA its the supporting cast.

You can't have it both ways.

If you want to use Quinn's results to compare to DA then you are, in fact, acknowledging your expectations for a fourth year player with 25 starts is the same for a second year player in his third starts. Potentially worse, is the assumption that Quinn's play these last two weeks is typical when it may simply be part of the new QB learning process.

After all, if the cockpit is as flawed as you say, then you should compare Quinn's third start to DA's where DA threw 0 TD's and 4 INT's.

Point is, good QB'ing should be getting more out of this team. Will Quinn be the answer? Not sure. I feel that we know DA isn't.

Finally, the cockpit has some problems. No argument there. I still don't think its the worst cockpit in the league and yet that's where our starting QB rating dwells.

greythan you are cutting and pasting only half of the comments instead of the premise that is explicity explained constantly. A flawed system that is not beneficial for QB production.. for EITHER qb.

You cut our only half statements. I am not having it both ways reread the post. I am using BQ problems to illustrate the same systematic failure that is greatly affecting either QB.

You cant go back and compare singular games against different opponents with different contributing players from one or two years ago to find an average fair mean.

The arguments you and others used to criticize DA and anyone who was pointing to other contributing factors dont seem to hold up much water right now considering what is happening to BQ. The QB can only work with what they have and what and how the coaches gameplan and call plays.

I think BQ is suffering from the exact same problems DA did and his numbers are reflecting that. It is worse because of the level of competitiion we are playing defensively is poor also so it only further illustrates our systematic failure.

You cut our only half statements. I am not having it both ways reread the post. I am using BQ problems to illustrate the same systematic failure that is greatly affecting either QB.

I'll try to be concise.

What I am saying is that you should NOT use BQ problems to illustrate some justification for DA's poor play. Why? Because a) the comparative sample size is way too small (3 starts and you said this yourself, yet go on to use the information) and B) we have no idea if this is Quinn's worst or is truly indicative of his ability.

Yet, you keep trying to use Quinn's last 2 games as evidence to support your claim which seems to be DA should not be held accountable for his play.

Sorry if I'm not following. Really.

Well I don't have alot to add because I agree with Sev and Grey on this.

Only thing I would say is that when comparing starts I do not think you can compare 2006 with 2008 because of the many changes in the team that were made in 2007. If you want to compare I would compare with 2007 starts when DA had 3 starts with a horrible team. Also, though BQ has not started until now he has been in the system as long as DA has and if you listen to some on this board even longer because it is similar to the one he used in college.

My real issue is that people think that a year and half of starting makes for a seasoned veteran. I am not judging BQ on 3 games. He should stay the starter, no debate.

I think Sevs point is not that DA is blameless but that this team has many issues that make it difficult for the QB. That the switch of QBs did nothing to change the real issues of the team. That BQ got to play weak defenses and was still plagued by some of the issues that plagued DA. Putting Da in as starter would not solve these issues. Leave BQ in and see if he can grow.

I am tired of seeing the team change QBs every year. Leave BQ in so that you at least have some sample size to make an off season judgement with.

Good posts on this subject, thanks grey, wpb and sev.

thanks Cmac that is a pretty good summary. Greythan and I have a bit of history on this subject so posts tend to stray.

Grey I want Quinn to play out the rest of the season and thought him being pulled was silly, I suppose I can understand RAC on wanting to win right now to keep chasing but that pretty much was gone after last game.

I happen to think (this might be crazy) we are only about 4 players away from being really, really competitive. Plus or minus a coach or two maybe general manager or owner....

Archived