THE BROWNS BOARD

Why isnt Edwards benched ?

BrownIndian

Driving home today, I was wondering the same thing. There's a point and I think BE has reached it. In the past, there is no real depth on the WR chart to replace BE. but after a while, he shouldn't be starting, he'll have to play only because we don't have anyone else. But to make the point... let him go from Pro Bowler, to second string for a game.

Because there is no one to replace him, and prior to this year, there was no doubts about him. He had the best season a Browns receiver ever had last year.I loved how at the game Braylon jumped offsides and the crowd went off on him. Then, Joe has two straight penalties and no one says anything. Browns fans are gonna run him out of town and he is going to light it up somewhere else. yes, he is having a bad year, but he has the talent and its all mental. Coaches are supposed to help with the mental part.

I hear the commentator telling "I would not throw to BE, I hate to pick on anybody in the NFL, but if I were a Cleveland QB I would not throw to him". I mean there has to be some draft pick or someone in the roster whom we must at the least try to see if they are worth it right ?

Because there is no one to replace him, and prior to this year, there was no doubts about him. He had the best season a Browns receiver ever had last year.I loved how at the game Braylon jumped offsides and the crowd went off on him. Then, Joe has two straight penalties and no one says anything. Browns fans are gonna run him out of town and he is going to light it up somewhere else. yes, he is having a bad year, but he has the talent and its all mental. Coaches are supposed to help with the mental part.

No one to replace him? We have several guys on the bench, Jerome Harrison, and a couple of TEs who would lvoe to play. You can't continue to play him because he isn't even a decoy anymore. He isn't running routes and isn't consistent enough to catch the ball.

Hell, just sending out 10 guys would be better than letting BE play at this point.

with the season lost at this point, it's more important to restore BE's confidence than it is to send him a message. he knows he's playing like shit and he likely hates himself for it. it's a vicious circle type situation. he's got low confidence so he doesn't play well and his confidence gets lower.

it's exactly the kind of thing that coaches should fix, like subpar playcalling, defensive schemes and lackluster QB play.

and steve sanders can't replace BE and be any sort of productive. it doesn't work like that. the only thing to do is to work with him and get him out of his slump.

I really don't get it with Bray. I understand what happens in a situation where he's dropping maybe 1 a game, or goes through maybe one horrid game of 3 or 4 drops.

But 3 or 4 drops every game? I literally don't understand how this is possible. After you go through your initial spurt of drops, your focus and determination should so insanely keyed on catchnig the damn football that you catch everything in sight. Not worrying about YAC, not worrying about breaking tackles, not worrying about bracing his fall, or even worrying about getting to the sticks. Just block everything else out, look the ball in, and catch the fucking thing.

I genuinely do not understand how it is possibly for a prolonged streak of drops like this. His sense of awareness and focus should be heightened, not lowered.

I really don't get it with Bray. I understand what happens in a situation where he's dropping maybe 1 a game, or goes through maybe one horrid game of 3 or 4 drops.

But 3 or 4 drops every game? I literally don't understand how this is possible. After you go through your initial spurt of drops, your focus and determination should so insanely keyed on catchnig the damn football that you catch everything in sight. Not worrying about YAC, not worrying about breaking tackles, not worrying about bracing his fall, or even worrying about getting to the sticks. Just block everything else out, look the ball in, and catch the fucking thing.

I genuinely do not understand how it is possibly for a prolonged streak of drops like this. His sense of awareness and focus should be heightened, not lowered.

Let's just hope we're not looking at a Rick Ankiel/Steve Sax situation here. Completely mental: Ankiel couldn't throw a strike and Sax couldn't throw it to first while playing second base.

Look at BE's face during the games. He just looks frightened to make a mistake.

Here's my take on the "nobody on the bench" that can come in....

If the players on the bench can't come in and at least be serviceable, then they have no business being on the roster.

We don't need someone to come in and light the world on fire. We need someone to come in and run proper routes, play like they actually give a shit, not get called offsides ELEVENTY BILLION times as a WR (WTF!?!?!?!?,) and manage to not lead the league in drops.

In case you haven't been paying attention boys and girls, that's all that it would take for the guy to be an upgrade over Edwards this year.

And once again, if we have WRs on the bench who can't do that (or at least most of it,) then they don't belong on the roster. Period.

it's not just "can they run routes and catch," though. WRs have to be able to get open. we saw steptoe have problems getting open when stallworth was injured. why would other guys be any better?

i understand that we won't be sure until we try, but don't you think these guys would be on the field if they'd shown something in practice? our coaches can't be that inept.

If you think Braylon isn't trying hard or doesn't care, your insane. Read the article on the browns website.

I'm with you, man. Despite his Michigan status, I really LOVE Braylon's attitude. Always have, regardless of his drops. He wants to win, he's a team guy, and I know he's dying inside not pleasing these fans. He's articulate, intelligent, and a great guy for the community.

I just don't get why he can't get his mind right. As much as I hate when he plays like shit, my heart goes out to the guy when I see the pain of dissapointment in his face. I always had the same feeling for DA.

Tim', GREAT posts. I don't buy the "know one else to play" theory either.

What I see is a total lack of accountability for BE, K2 and DA. It appears to me that RAC clearly prefers the guys who have been there before for him and they obviously know that. They play without any desire or professionalism because they CAN. They're untouchable and they know it. (Well, DA was, until someone obviously made the decision for RAC.)

BE is the poster boy for this lack of accountability. I haven't played at the NFL level but Rich Gannon has and when Gannon -- a former Pro Bowl QB -- kept calling BE out for his route running and drops time and again, how can it not be obvious to his ACTUAL coaches and teammates how badly he's playing?

You don't think EVERYONE on that team knows that BE, K2 and DA get a free pass? And how do you think that sits with them?

How do you think JLew feels about it? Or Josh Cribbs? Or Shaun Rogers? Y'know, guys who go ALL OUT ON EVERY PLAY?

Sitting BE or at least scheming AWAY from him would be the right thing to do. Y'know, the thing that RAC can't do.

it's not just "can they run routes and catch," though. WRs have to be able to get open.

Well, one of the biggest keys to getting open is running crisp routes. That's why there are guys who are very good receivers who don't have overpowering size or blinding speed.

The perfect example of poor route running resulting in not being open was BE's half-assed effort on that slant that got picked. He flat out gave up on that route....bad route....WR not open....even worse, gives inside position on a timing route to the DB to serve up a pick.

Speed and size are great, but they are rarely going to get you open without good route-running.

Well, one of the biggest keys to getting open is running crisp routes. That's why there are guys who are very good receivers who don't have overpowering size or blinding speed.

The perfect example of poor route running resulting in not being open was BE's half-assed effort on that slant that got picked. He flat out gave up on that route....bad route....WR not open....even worse, gives inside position on a timing route to the DB to serve up a pick.

Speed and size are great, but they are rarely going to get you open without good route-running.

Not to clear Braylon of fault on that play, but they ran that slant how many times today? 5? 6? 7? Of course the DB will jump the route after a while. There's not a ton that Bray can do about that beside hope BQ makes the read and doesn't throw it or the play doesn't get called.

If you think Braylon isn't trying hard or doesn't care, your insane. Read the article on the browns website.

Yeah, that's the first place I go when I want to see what the current flavor of propaganda will be after a bad game.

I'm pretty sure Goebbels is the editor for their "articles" that they put out.

it's not just "can they run routes and catch," though. WRs have to be able to get open. we saw steptoe have problems getting open when stallworth was injured. why would other guys be any better?

i understand that we won't be sure until we try, but don't you think these guys would be on the field if they'd shown something in practice? our coaches can't be that inept.

We just watched fatass bench our 2 game-old QB for playing less worse than the guy he replaced him with.

Yes, they can be that inept.

And, yes, I do feel for Braylon to some extent, but at some point you have to cut bait with the guy. This isn't a recent trend (dropping a bunch of passes), it's just worse now than ever.

Get the guy to a psychiatrist. We know he CAN catch the ball. It IS mental.

does any of you actually think sanders would be better than braylon?

put the anger aside for a second. measure their skills and abilities. could steve sanders really contribute more to this team then edwards?

really, it doesn't matter. we'd just have a stupid argument because i'm the idiot who's not ready to give up on BE. we saw what he's capable of doing last year. there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do that again. nothing's changed, he's just having a shitty year.

and if we want to get anything for him, he has to keep playing and show some sign of improvement. the season's lost, anyway.

does any of you actually think sanders would be better than braylon?

Braylon last year? Probably not.

Braylon this year?

Well, if Sanders could simply manage to not lead the league in drops and not get called for more false start penalties as a WR than some of our linemen have been called for.....that would be a start.

alright, i'll listen.

but since there's the last year vs. this year comparison, what changed?

BE was a beast last year and a bitch this one. what happened to him during the off-season or at some point during this season to turn him from from great to goat?

alright, i'll listen.

but since there's the last year vs. this year comparison, what changed?

BE was a beast last year and a bitch this one. what happened to him during the off-season or at some point during this season to turn him from from great to goat?

Perhaps taking too much for granted after being named a Pro-Bowler.

Who knows?

But more importantly, what does it matter? I know that as a coach you would want to know the cause so you could fix it, but this staff has shown that they're grossly incompetent and can't "fix" anything.

His play this year has spoken for itself, and that's what matters. And it's not like he just all of a sudden just had one bad game this week.

It's time to give someone else a chance, if for no other reason than to give BE a little wake-up call. And who knows....we may find out in the process that we have had a viable WR riding pine while we've backed up the Brinks truck to Stallsworthless' front door.

I have seen BQ nation vs DA nation calling out for each others heads but as long as it is BE that they have to throw to what chances do either of them have ? Why isn't the dude with the most drops benched ? can anyone tell me why please ?

He should be benched or traded in my honest opinion this is more than a slump BE is somewhat hit shy now and he plays like he has oil on his hands and the ball he is not that fast and does not posess any extrordinary capabilities..

But we have a real Retard for a coach and an idiot for a GM so why do we expect anything to be done right as long as lerner is making money thats all he cares about stop supporting the soccer freak and maybe he will sell otherwise we are stuck with him and his awful football philosophy..

You can still be a fan and support your team without supporting the nfl or a bad owner in you know..

All we have are the colors we dont have a real blue collar football mentality anymore its the fans fault for not being more vocal and demanding things change and fast..

it matters because, if the guy does have talent, there's at least the chance that he could be fixed in the future.

i'm more in favor of benching stallworth. we're gonna cut him at the end of the season, anyway. if we're gonna see what we've got in other players, we should find out about the guys who are actually gonna be on the team in the future.

The Immediate boo's killed his confidence yesterday. He was doomed from the start and the fans did most of it. Did he drop em? yeah... did we help one bit? Not at all. Worst crowd ever. I have never heard that stadium so quiet... or seen a crowd so ready to boo. terrible

Archived