THE BROWNS BOARD

WR Roy Williams

ATENEARS

P.M. Cleveland Browns Links: Roy Williams an option? Doing some QB math

By Starting Blocks, The Plain Dealer

April 28, 2010, 1:32PM

Cleveland, Ohio -- Brian DiTullio, writing for bleacherreport.com, offers an interesting prospect:

The Browns drafted a wideout -- Carlton Mitchell, in the sixth round. The incumbent receiving corps -- Chansi Stuckey, Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie and Syndric Steptoe -- doesn't exactly inspire fear in the hearts of opposing defensive backs. Josh Cribbs technically is part of that group, but his value is more as a returner and WildDawg.

So maybe free agency? And that's where DiTullio's idea comes in.

Enter the new free agents, among them Roy Williams, the seemingly odd man out in Dallas after the Cowboys drafted Dez Bryant this past weekend.

Williams, who has just 57 receptions and eight touchdowns in 25 games with the Cowboys, has been a huge disappointment after costing them their first-, third-, and sixth-round picks in the 2009 draft.

Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones re-affirmed his commitment to keeping Williams on the roster, and quarterback Tony Romo said one main goal of the offseason was to develop better "chemistry" with Williams.

That's good to hear if you're a Cowboys fan, but the truth is they have Bryant on the roster now and Miles Austin had a Pro Bowl 2009 season.

If Jones isn't quietly entertaining trade offers for Williams, that would be surprising.

roy-williamsjpg-682c5e3161c589c1_medium.

IMO: Williams hasn't lived up to his potential with any of the teams he has been on. does he have a problem with memorizing the play book or is he just lazy at practice.

So we know he can run and catch, what we dont know is if he is stupid or if he is just lazy.

Roy has been a very disappointing WR.

That doesn't mean he can't turn things around, but he's Jerry Jone's boy. I don't see Dallas getting rid of him, or they would have gotten rid of him when Miles Austin emerged as their clear cut #1.

I don't want him.

When Irvin showed up at Camp (or practice, I forget which) last year, he gave pointers to the WR's on the squad. Irvin indicated that All the other receivers took his pointers, and Miles Austin turned out pretty good. Whether that was because of Irvin, or natural talent, who knows.

But Williams didn't want anything to do with Irvin's advice. And he had a crap year.

IMO: Williams hasn't lived up to his potential with any of the teams he has been on. does he have a problem with memorizing the play book or is he just lazy at practice.

So we know he can run and catch, what we dont know is if he is stupid or if he is just lazy.

Exactly what I was going to post. The man has talent pouring out of his ears but it's never been talent he's lived up too. I also can't imagine Jones unloading him. You go after Bryant because he's a immense talent but also a compliment to Williams on the other side. Who are they going to plug in opposite Williams? Crayton? I doubt they move Roy Williams and I wouldn't put a lot of credence to the rumor. If I'm a Browns fan I don't want him unless you think Mangini and Holmgren can bring him full circle. If he's going to go somewhere it better be with a strong minded coach, a tough coach. A guy like Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher, Tomlin etc. I certainly don't want him in the black and gold and if I were you I wouldn't want him in the orange and brown either.

Exactly what I was going to post. The man has talent pouring out of his ears but it's never been talent he's lived up too. I also can't imagine Jones unloading him. You go after Bryant because he's a immense talent but also a compliment to Williams on the other side. Who are they going to plug in opposite Williams? Crayton? I doubt they move Roy Williams and I wouldn't put a lot of credence to the rumor. If I'm a Browns fan I don't want him unless you think Mangini and Holmgren can bring him full circle. If he's going to go somewhere it better be with a strong minded coach, a tough coach. A guy like Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher, Tomlin etc. I certainly don't want him in the black and gold and if I were you I wouldn't want him in the orange and brown either.

Well, as far as I know, William has not been a bad character. He just hasn't lived up to his billing. If he is a free agent, he may be worth taking a shot at. (Hell, its just Randy Lerners money).

I mean, with the Browns overwhelming plethora of talent at WR, why would we need him? :wacko:

Yea, goodness, it would be foolish to want to give up on Syndric Steptoe and Chansi Stuckey and put Williams in his place :o

RW isn't a bad character. But if he can't be successful in Dallas with Romo and Miles Austin lining up on the other side of the field, why would he be any good here with our second level qb's? Don't bother telling me Romo sucks either, he has averaged about 4000 yards passing yardage over the last three years.

No thanks to giving up anything for RW, much less paying his ridiculous salary that we would inherit in a trade.

RW isn't a bad character. But if he can't be successful in Dallas with Romo and Miles Austin lining up on the other side of the field, why would he be any good here with our second level qb's? Don't bother telling me Romo sucks either, he has averaged about 4000 yards passing yardage over the last three years.

No thanks to giving up anything for RW, much less paying his ridiculous salary that we would inherit in a trade.

But what I read was that he could be a free agent....either because his deal with Dallas is up, or because he would be released.

Well, as far as I know, William has not been a bad character. He just hasn't lived up to his billing. If he is a free agent, he may be worth taking a shot at. (Hell, its just Randy Lerners money).

I mean, with the Browns overwhelming plethora of talent at WR, why would we need him? :wacko:

Yea, goodness, it would be foolish to want to give up on Syndric Steptoe and Chansi Stuckey and put Williams in his place :o

So Robiskie and Massaquoi aren't worth a sh.it? Roy Williams hasn't come anywhere close to living up to his billing and yes while intriguing I wouldn't want him on my roster for much more than vet minimum. I also don't imagine Jones will cut him loose and if he does what makes you think he'll want to play for the Browns? or better yet that the Browns will want to pay what he's likely going to ask?

christ...here i am on the side of snatch....

at some point, you have to let the draft process run its course. are we gonna be a superbowl contender with RW catchin passes? he didn't do shit on a fairly well balanced team in dallas, the the xxxx would he do here?

oh yeah....mentor...blah blah blah.

So Robiskie and Massaquoi aren't worth a sh.it? Roy Williams hasn't come anywhere close to living up to his billing and yes while intriguing I wouldn't want him on my roster for much more than vet minimum. I also don't imagine Jones will cut him loose and if he does what makes you think he'll want to play for the Browns? or better yet that the Browns will want to pay what he's likely going to ask?

Well, first off, the Browns are likely to have as many as 3 WRs on the field at a time...and MoMass and RoBo have not demonstrated that they necessarily have any more capability than he has, no.

And like I said, this is all hypothetical: IF he is let go by the 'Boys, and IF he can be had at whatever price Randy Lerner is willing to pay him, he WOULD be someone worth possibly taking a chance on, because right now, the Browns entire receiving corps is unproven. But, if they decided they didn't want him, that wouldn't break my heart either. Onward and upward..

christ...here i am on the side of snatch....

at some point, you have to let the draft process run its course. are we gonna be a superbowl contender with RW catchin passes? he didn't do shit on a fairly well balanced team in dallas, the the xxxx would he do here?

oh yeah....mentor...blah blah blah.

Don't let it become a habit. I wouldn't want to have to play nice ALL the time. However you are correct in letting the "draft run it's course" Look at the teams that have won the super bowl recently. You then need to evaluate the number of high profile free agents any of the teams have acquired in their quest for the Lombardi. Bottom line, Great teams build through the draft. Yes those same teams dip in to free agency here and there but they aren't routinely going after the high profile guys looking for a quick fix. It's a process. I know at one point 19 of the 22 starters for the Steelers were drafted. I believe that number is still damn close.

Roy isn't worth it. He was overrated when we had him at Texas. He broke out a little in Detroit. That's about it. He's a hamstring injury waiting to happen every single time he suits up. He won't play if he's the least bit tweaked. That's just the reputation a friend of mine in the program related to me.

Archived