THE BROWNS BOARD

Hire Urban Meyer and Flyod Reece

Sony Reed

The Browns need changes at both GM and head coach, does anyone really believe that Cowher wants to come into this mess that Crennel and Savage has created when he can have a job of his choice?

I don't want to hire another assistant coach with no track record as a head coach, how many times have we seen these great coordinators fail when they become the head coach, yes Spagnola (sp) McDaniel, Rex Ryan and others are top coordinators but they have not been the head man.

I say a guy like Urban Meyer who has turned every team he has coached into a winner and looks like he is about to win his 2nd NCAA Championship, Meyer is ready to be a head coach in the NFL he is also very innovative something this team needs and personality wise he is the total opposite of RAC

Now lets get a experienced GM in here and quit making the Browns the Detroit Lions of the AFC, Reece can get the front office in order and he also has many years experience as a NFL GM with the Titans.

Sorry people Phil Savage is a glorified scout and not a GM and for all the pro Savage people who want to mention how he upgraded the roster from Butchies days well with 2 draft choices in the top 3 and close to 150 million in free agent money to spend on free agents who could not have upgraded the talent, but look what Savae got for all the money he spent and it does not look very good and I won't get started on his draft picks which for where the Browns were drafting have not been what you would expect.

Please lets not hear any Mr. Sweatervest Jim Tressel talk about being head coach, I think Tressell has proven he can't make in game adjustments or beat anyone outside the Big Ten and this is the same guy who thinks the punt is a good offensive play.

please don't.

Tressel can't beat anyone outside of the Big Ten?

What about Miami in 2002? Texas Tech in 2002? Washington State in 2002?

Washington in 2003? North Carolina State in 2003? Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl in 2003?

North Carolina State in 2004? Oklahoma State (coached by Les Miles) in the Bowl in 2004?

Notre Dame in 2005?

Texas in 2006?

Washington in 2007?

What coach has more BCS bowl wins than Tressel? None.

No, he wouldn't be a good NFL coach. Neither would Meyer. But he has won more BCS bowl games than any other coach.

Josh McDaniel

If we hadn't screwed up in selecting coaches since 1999, this is the guy I want. Has been tutored by Bill B and Scott Pioli, the best in the business. This is the hot new coach.

Sadly we do not have the luxury of selecting him as head coach since this team needs to be run by an experienced guy.

The only guy who can do this job is Bill Cowher and he isn't coming here.

Basically we're screwed.

If we hadn't screwed up in selecting coaches since 1999, this is the guy I want. Has been tutored by Bill B and Scott Pioli, the best in the business. This is the hot new coach.

Sadly we do not have the luxury of selecting him as head coach since this team needs to be run by an experienced guy.

Basically we're screwed.

They won't wire McDaniel because of his lack of experience and also because of the failed RAC ex Patriot coordinator

The problem I see is that no experienced head coach is going to want this job and have Savage in complete charge of the roster and draft unless he is some retread coach just looking for another job.

Ideal situation would be both Crennel and Savage being FIRED

Basically we're screwed.

I agree completely if we cant sucker some real pro's to come into this shitfaced poorly owned and operated organization the new cleveland browns are screwed and thats the way im viewing this team as the new cleveland browns because to me at this point the real cleveland browns football team died when art modell moved it to baltimore and from the look of things the real rowdy loud and outspoken and flat out demanding fans that followed this great franchise died too...the new fans suck as bad as the new browns they simply call diehards whiners while they themselves take it in the rear from this organization and rarely raise a whisper other than to whine about fans that miss real browns football and want to see it return...

Im only in it now for the false hope that someday while im still alive i can see this team become even a shadow of its original form but hope fades with every randy lerner bad hiring and every empty owner box game after home game..

Lerner doesnt really have any interest in returning this team to a formidable contender as long as the idiots fill his stadium the people of cleveland bought the douche and his cash coffers stay full..this city has lost its reputation as a real football town outside of cleveland this team and its owner are the laughing stock of the football world i dont live in cleveland anymore so im not influenced by the hype and lies that fill the media waves in that now dying city maybe most of the real fans moved because a bad football team doesnt lure people back and certainly isnt good for business or jobs...

I think the fact that we had a 10-6 season recently may clear up some of that stigma associated with our team. We are capable of having a winning season and challenging for a playoff spot. And that's under some piss-poor management and coaching.

I think whoever takes over may only do it if given both HC and GM duties.

Bah, screw it. Hire Jim Mora Sr

Now lets get a experienced GM in here and quit making the Browns the Detroit Lions of the AFC, Reece can get the front office in order and he also has many years experience as a NFL GM with the Titans.

My only disagreement with your post is Reese. He pretty much screwed up the Titans and got them in all kinds of cap trouble. Remember a few years ago when they were giving players away and cutting them to get under the cap. One of the best HCs in the game was going to quit if they didn't get rid of him. After firing Reese, it took them until last year to get the team rebuilt.

Guest Aloysius

I'll take Savage over the guy who drafted Pacman Jones any day.

And I'm not too high on Charley Casserly either. The guy's trying to get a GM job by telling owners, "I was the genius who picked Mario Williams," when it was actually Kubiak's call.

Inasmuch as I'm frustrated with Savage's management style, he's much better at drafting talent than Reese or Casserly.

first, meyer's not leaving florida. he saw what happened to steve spurrier and doesn't want the same thing to happen to him. florida's been consistently the best football school in the country for their two regimes. there's no way he leaves.

second, his gimmick offense won't work in the NFL. it's a gimmick offense that takes too much time to develop. it would get the QB killed. it also relies on a key difference between NFL and college rules: in college, offensive linemen are allowed to be beyond the line of scrimmage when someone attempts a forward pass. in the NFL, that's a penalty.

he'd have to design a traditional offense, something we have no idea if he's capable of doing.

And I'm not too high on Charley Casserly either. The guy's trying to get a GM job by telling owners, "I was the genius who picked Mario Williams," when it was actually Kubiak's call.

I thought the same RE: Casserly, but I have really grown to respect him and his insight. I just feel like the guy "gets it."

And Gary Kubiak can kiss my Bronco-hatin' ass. :)

I think these successful college coaches, like Urban Meyer, would be foolish to go coach in the NFL. They are worshipped on campus, paid very well, and can actually bring in their own players. Plus, no salary cap games to deal with. Look at Pete Carroll, who might have the best gig in football, he won't come back to the NFL because of some of the reasons above.

Where's Russ Grimm? We need an NFL guy, IMHO.

No matter who's call it was, Casserly shouldn't get any credit. He quit very shortly after drafting Williams, so he either couldn't stand behind his own decision like a man or it was Kubiak's decision and he wanted out for it.

Guest Aloysius
I thought the same RE: Casserly, but I have really grown to respect him and his insight. I just feel like the guy "gets it."

Casserly had a reputation for being good with the media when he was GM, which is great...as long as you know how to draft players.

Actually, what I would be interested in is brining in Casserly to work the media/management side of the front office, letting Savage focus exclusively on scouting. However, I doubt Savage would accept what would amount to a quasi-demotion.

No matter who's call it was, Casserly shouldn't get any credit. He quit very shortly after drafting Williams, so he either couldn't stand behind his own decision like a man or it was Kubiak's decision and he wanted out for it.

I don't think he "quit" as much as he was forced out. The Texans retained him through the draft season, but it was understood that it was Kubiak's decision which way to go on the #1 pick.

I'm not sure how much control Casserly had over the later picks, but I bet he's claiming he made those as well. Looking back, the Texans had a frickin' awesome '06 draft:

• Round 1: Mario Williams - 'nuff said
  • Round 2: DeMeco Ryans - Defensive ROTY, great linebacker
  • Round 3: Charles Spencer - Looked like a possible franchise LT before suffering a devastating injury
  • Round 3: Eric Winston - Currently their starting RT.
  • Round 4: Owen Daniels - Promising young TE's on pace for 70 catches & 850 yards.
  • Round 6: Wali Lundy - Contributed as a rookie, but is no longer in the NFL
  • Round 7: David Anderson - Solid depth receiver who contributes on special teams
If Casserly did make those later-round picks, I'd have a lot more respect for him.

I would pay Charley Casserly some of my own $ to come be our GM. He is great on CBS' pregame show.

Casserly, the guy who was the Houston GM when they drafted Mario Williams, couldn't deal with the fans hating on him and quit? No thanks... Turns out he made a decent decision. Young and Bush aren't exactly tearing things up.

The Browns need changes at both GM and head coach, does anyone really believe that Cowher wants to come into this mess that Crennel and Savage has created when he can have a job of his choice?

I don't want to hire another assistant coach with no track record as a head coach, how many times have we seen these great coordinators fail when they become the head coach, yes Spagnola (sp) McDaniel, Rex Ryan and others are top coordinators but they have not been the head man.

I say a guy like Urban Meyer who has turned every team he has coached into a winner and looks like he is about to win his 2nd NCAA Championship, Meyer is ready to be a head coach in the NFL he is also very innovative something this team needs and personality wise he is the total opposite of RAC

Sorry people Phil Savage is a glorified scout and not a GM and for all the pro Savage people who want to mention how he upgraded the roster from Butchies days well with 2 draft choices in the top 3 and close to 150 million in free agent money to spend on free agents who could not have upgraded the talent, but look what Savae got for all the money he spent and it does not look very good and I won't get started on his draft picks which for where the Browns were drafting have not been what you would expect.

Please lets not hear any Mr. Sweatervest Jim Tressel talk about being head coach, I think Tressell has proven he can't make in game adjustments or beat anyone outside the Big Ten and this is the same guy who thinks the punt is a good offensive play.

Great post...............I like the Urban Meyer idea.........NOT THE FLOYD REESE IDEA.........To me Tennessee has improved the last two years without Reese

As far as Tressel is too sad you throw him under the bus for having the best record of all coaches in football the last 23 years..............but heh do what you wish because he lost two successive National Championship games when no one even plays in two straight.........too cool

But I do like your thinking about SEWAGE he is totally useless

Guest Aloysius
Casserly, the guy who was the Houston GM when they drafted Mario Williams, couldn't deal with the fans hating on him and quit? No thanks...

As I've mentioned, that's not at all what happened. He had already lost his job, but the owner had him stay on & resign after the draft.

Guest Aloysius
Well the least Casserly could have done was fire off a f@#$ you e-mail... lol

:D

Instead of doing that, he's going around bragging about a decision that wasn't his.

Here's an interview of Casserly from earlier this year:

What was the single most difficult decision you had to make as a GM?

Well it was probably the last one I ever made — taking Mario Williams as the number one overall pick in Houston in the 2006 draft. It came down to three names: Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Mario Williams. The popular pick was Vince Young. The second popular pick was Reggie Bush. And nobody wanted us to take Mario Williams. But we thought it was the right decision. We did it. And I think now, after Mario’s successful season, people are starting to see why we made that decision.

You want to hire a guy because he sounds good on the TV?

The TV comment was obviously (well, maybe not) tongue-in-cheek.

Casserly had an outstanding career with the 'Skins, and learned from one of the best (Bobby Beathard). I don't see much to not like here.

urban meyer isn't an NFL head coach. he's creative, but his offense is purely a college one. NFL players are too fast and smart to fall for the kind of misdirection he relies upon to have success. he'd be another spurrier in the NFL: someone who shouldn't have left college because their style of play isn't made for the NFL.

The TV comment was obviously (well, maybe not) tongue-in-cheek.

Casserly had an outstanding career with the 'Skins, and learned from one of the best (Bobby Beathard). I don't see much to not like here.

In retrospect Casserly did the right thing in chosing Mario Williams and he was road kill because of that

Guest Aloysius

I'm surprised I can't find the original article, but here's Houston Chronicle reporter/columnist Richard Justice:

[You have your facts wrong. Charley Casserly didn't pick Mario Williams. Gary Kubiak did.--Richard]

It makes intuitive sense. After another horrible season, everyone knew that Casserly was about to get fired. If so, why would the owner let him decide who to take with the #1 overall pick?

What the owner did do was allow Casserly to take the heat for Kubiak's decision to make the unpopular choice. For that, Casserly does deserve a little credit.

It makes intuitive sense. After another horrible season, everyone knew that Casserly was about to get fired. If so, why would the owner let him decide who to take with the #1 overall pick?

You're right, it does make intuitive sense, but this is the first time I've heard this, that's all.

Urban Meyer is an interesting suggestion. I can understand the hesitance about him succeeding in the NFL. However, he is a fiery and intelligent coach. With the right coordinators around him, I think he could succeed. He is also from Ashtabula originally, so he may be a Browns fan. Although, as someone pointed out, he probably has no plans to jump to the NFL. He has a great job without the pressure of being an NFL coach, and his winters are a hell of a lot warmer where he is.

Archived