THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner speaks

gmyers

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner spoke to select members of the media this morning, including the Orange and Brown Report's Fred Greetham. Here are Lerner's remarks as the team struggles to the end of a difficult season...

BEREA - Browns Owner Randy Lerner met with members of the local media for 67 minutes to address various concerns. He addressed his commitment to being the owner of the Browns, as well as his disappointment of the 2008 team.

He prefaced his remarks by saying that he would not discuss any personnel evaluations, including Romeo Crennel or Phil Savage’s future. He said all evaluations will be made in January at the conclusion of the season.

“We will not discuss any jobs until the end of the season,” he said. “I don’t think it’s in the best interest of the organization to discuss. We will take the issues, criticisms and concerns seriously and deal with them in January, hopefully late January.”

Lerner did say that the biggest thing would be to evaluate the state of the team in the big picture.

“Was last year a fluke?” he said. “How did we go 10-6, play good football and have the NFL excited to put us on national television.”

Lerner said his mind isn’t made up yet and that the five remaining games are important.

“We have five games left,” he said. “They are highly relevant. There’s lots of football left that will tell us a lot.”

He did say that if a change is made, he doesn’t think the team would be totally starting over. In other words, he thinks the Browns have some talent.

“No, not with this group of players, I don’t.”

Lerner said that he is not planning on selling the team and renewed his commitment on turning the Browns around.

“I think it is a privilege beyond belief to be involved with a team, particularly your hometown team,” Lerner said. “I’m not prepared to throw in the towel at the age of 46 and admit I can’t get the job done.

“I have no plans to sell the team,” he said. “Last year we were 10-6 with six Pro Bowl players. We don’t want to make excuses, but this year is what it is.”

Lerner did say what he will evaluate with concerns to Savage.

“I’ll weigh the strengths and weaknesses,” he said. “Phil recruits as aggressively and thoroughly as anyone.

“I think you have to give the guys some slack,” he said. “His responsibilities cut across a wide variety of roles. I think he’s capable of doing his job.”

Lerner used the word “sickened” when asked how he would describe his feelings at around 4 pm after the Browns lost to the Texans 16-6.

Some of the other key questions he addressed:

On how important continuity is: “It’s a big measurement. How big do you want to make it? It’s immeasurable. Continuity speaks directly to the situation. It takes time to get players established, to establish a system. If you interrupt continuity, you have to expect some adjustment. It’s a component of the evaluation process and most serious piece.”

On the financial burden if decisions are made considering both Crennel and Savage were given contract extensions: “Zero. It has no bearing.”

Any contact with Bill Cowher: “No.”

On the email from Savage to the fan by Savage: “I was embarrassed, as Phil was embarrassed. I would think most of us have responded to emails and wished we hadn’t pushed the send button. It was out of character for him. He has dealt with it and apologized and it’s over.”

On being more involved: “The quick answer is I totally care about the team. When reflected, it’s probably my management approach. In short, when I give authority I feel I have to get out of the way, particularly, when they have skills you don’t have.

“The by-product is it might appear that I’m not as engaged. I’m very concerned.”

On being more in the public eye: “It’s worth considering. It’s a shortcoming on my part. I’ve always been nervous about being in the public eye. In this situation, I regret not being more, but I’m not sure how it would play out.”

On Kellen Winslow’s situation: “There were two specific comments that caused flags. The staph infection is a terrible thing and scary. Supposedly, the organization didn’t care about the player concerning the illness. That flies in the face of our organization and we addressed it. As far as telling him to keep it quiet fell through the cracks regarding an injury or illness as we deal with illnesses different than injuries. We have addressed the situation with respect to Kellen and Joe Jurevicius.”

On the perception of the staph infection problem: “It’s larger than the Browns. We’ve had third party analysis of the locker room, our indoor field, our procedures and the responses have been that we have been proactive. I think it’s unfair to say we have a problem. It happens in professional sports.”

On the identity of the franchise: “We have not established an identity like the Steelers have the past 37 years. The Rooneys have been able to parlay that with (Chuck Noll) and kept it going with (Bil

574498.1. Part 2

by Thomaspro, 11/25/08 13:06 ET

Re: Lerner Speaks (From The OBR) by Thomaspro, 11/25/08

On the identity of the franchise: “We have not established an identity like the Steelers have the past 37 years. The Rooneys have been able to parlay that with (Chuck Noll) and kept it going with (Bill) Cowher and only two coaches for that time. I’m very envious of that.”

On "Do you have the right people": “There are signs we’ve hired the right people. Last year, a 10-6 record and six Pro Bowl players.”

On relying on Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar for advice: “It depends on so many things, but yes they have good thoughts.”

On Winslow coexisting with the team: “I would think so.”

Guest ATENEARS

He's satisfied me on his hands-off approach. big deal that he has other interests, the fact that he has another sports franchise will only add to his experience. He is only 46 years old, I didn't realize that. I think he is committed.

Perhaps going 10-6 last season was worst than us going 6-10, as it provided slack in the line, but I'm confident that Randy can balance a knee-jerk reaction against going stale for too long.

I personally don't have a big problem with Savage, but I think the players need to be pushed more and I'm afraid Crennel has planed out.

I'd allowed Savage to find another coach, cut some dead weight contracts, and go full steam ahead in Free Agency and the draft.

He's satisfied me on his hands-off approach. big deal that he has other interests, the fact that he has another sports franchise will only add to his experience. He is only 46 years old, I didn't realize that. I think he is committed.

Perhaps going 10-6 last season was worst than us going 6-10, as it provided slack in the line, but I'm confident that Randy can balance a knee-jerk reaction against going stale for too long.

I personally don't have a big problem with Savage, but I think the players need to be pushed more and I'm afraid Crennel has planed out.

I'd allowed Savage to find another coach, cut some dead weight contracts, and go full steam ahead in Free Agency and the draft.

I'm not opposed to Savage getting one more chance but if him keeping his job as GM interferes with our coach hiring process then I'm against him staying.

Guest ATENEARS
I'm not opposed to Savage getting one more chance but if him keeping his job as GM interferes with our coach hiring process then I'm against him staying.

That's a good point.

Phil is a loser and I agree immensely .............with yur assessment...........but does Randy have the courage to understand that Phil must go .............sooner the better

i agree with you ate, savage seems to be getting romeo what he asks for. the problem is coaching and motivation imo. personally i've never met a person what was a leader, and got along well with his subordinates, and been successful. if its happens its rare. RAC's philosiphy doesn't work, the players don't need a buddy, they need someone to push em, and let them know when they've screwed up . leaders have to be tough, and not worry about who likes them. RAC's whole "the player's coach" just doesn't work, and never will work.

I much prefer the hands-off ownership approach. When the owner thinks he knows football, and is best suited to make personnel decisions, a team can run into alot of problems.

I want a guy who has business sense. He doesn't have to know anything about running a football team. He has to know about running a business, hiring good people, and writing the checks. The fact that he's a Cleveland guy, a family man, who cares about his fathers legacy, makes it pretty much a perfect fit, in my opinion.

And as far as Aston Villa FC, I'm a huge "soccer" fan. So I probably follow the EPL more than most Browns fans. But having seen what Villa has been able to do, since Lerner took ownership in 2006, gives me a lot of faith in him as the Browns owner. He's shown he's willing to spend the money to put a successful team on the field, buying players to help Villa improve and developing players through their youth system. Hiring a successful coach in Marty O'Neill, involving the fans in the development of new uniforms and a team crest, and having made the decision to NOT take a corporate sponsor for this season, and instead representing a childrens hospital. They're expanding the stadium and built new training facilities.

Some may read this, and think he should be spending that kind of money here. I think the fact that he's shown willingness to do so with Villa, should make Browns fans feel that he has the business sense and passion for sports in general, to be a great owner of this team.

Just my two cents.

Guest Masters

Agree 100% with you Stan. I have never had much problem with Lerners approach to management. To me it is the right way, no matter the business. When you give people authority, you have to get out of the way.

RAC is the problem (along with members of his staff). I used this example before, and I think it still holds true. Look at the San Diego Chargers. That team is loaded with talent, yet terribly under achieving. Why? One simple answer, the HC. Turner, like RAC gets lost in the game. Neither are capable of looking at the big picture during the week or game day. They are much better when they are only a coordinator.

Guest Masters
I would just hate to see a quality coach come in here and leave without a contract because he wanted some control over personnel and we all know Savage is too proud to give that up in any way shape or form...

That is kind of a farce. Originally RAC had more control. That was slowly taken away when he showed he couldn't do it. I really don't think Savage is the control freak that people like to make him out to be. Keep in mind, it has never been reported as such by any news organization. Only people on message boards and talk radio have ever painted him that way. With no evidence, just assumption.

That is kind of a farce. Originally RAC had more control. That was slowly taken away when he showed he couldn't do it. I really don't think Savage is the control freak that people like to make him out to be. Keep in mind, it has never been reported as such by any news organization. Only people on message boards and talk radio have ever painted him that way. With no evidence, just assumption.

you are full of crap.............Crennel has been dangling on a string since day one as the GM SEWAGE wanted it..............to have a scape goat when it got miserable..........like now

Guest Masters
you are full of crap.............Crennel has been dangling on a string since day one as the GM SEWAGE wanted it..............to have a scape goat when it got miserable..........like now

Really, so show me how. Pull up some articles, quotes, etc. Where any of it is wrong. I can pull stories of RAC getting less power after his second year.

phil Savage versus Collins

Phil Savage firing Carthon

Phil Savage trading Frye

Phil Savage hiring Chud and Tucker

Phil does an awful lot of media interviews

Brady quinn starting abruptly obviously something RAC did not want yet

Obviously this is conjecture but the incidents where he steps in where normally a head coach has full control. I am not defending RAC but usually the GM's are a whole lot less visible than he is.

Guest Ghoolie

There are always things in life that amaze us. Buster Douglas punking Tyson, The USA gold medal hockey team.

This is NOT one of those times when anyone has been given any cause but to yawn.

If it was not for the fact that Jim Brown taped a three by five index card to Lerner's wrist, randy wouldn't have even known that the Browns went 10 - 6 last year.

Lerner is a loser. He is a jack off and a mental masturbationist. He opens his anus of a mouth and nothing but carefully polished turds come out. His team is a joke and STILL he has no emotion, no fire, no anger, nothing, Ladee Dooo Dee Laaa Laaaa Looooo.............

Duh, geeee we waz good last year so duh dat means we might have da right guys, Maybe it meanst that dis yea we really don't suck but LAST year waz the real Browns.

Even though we didn't win shit last year, even though we got bent over by teh Steelers, Even though we didn't go to the playoffs.............. 2007 is SOMETHING important. People should keep their jobs because in 2007 we went 10-6 and didn't do a F#@&$^% thing.

He's envious of Rooney? He blows Rooney. Lerner doesnt have a freaking concept of what Pittsburgh has. He woudn't know how to hire a man based on values, principles and fundamentals if I hired the guy for him.

Lerner is an insult to everything the Browns once were. If he was any kind of man he would fire Savage and Crennell right now.

Other teams point to playoff runs and SB wins as their sign that their team is good. We point to 10 - 6 and home for the holidays.

I hope the Steelers mangle and crush this pile of shit call the Browns. Hey, maybe Lerner will suit Kosay and Jim Brown up. Hey, I know............. lets dig Gene Hickerson up out of his grave and let him block for JB.

I mean, he can't be much older and slower thanWillie Mcgimpiest can he?

Lerner is shit. His father was shit.

Guest Masters
phil Savage versus Collins

Phil Savage firing Carthon

Phil Savage trading Frye

Phil Savage hiring Chud and Tucker

Phil does an awful lot of media interviews

Brady quinn starting abruptly obviously something RAC did not want yet

Obviously this is conjecture but the incidents where he steps in where normally a head coach has full control. I am not defending RAC but usually the GM's are a whole lot less visible than he is.

And Collins started that struggle.

Do you think CLE shouldn't have traded Frye?

Savage did hire Chud (would you rather have Carthon?). Tucker was a promotion from within and was a hire of RAC.

Should they really have continued on with DA when it was obvious the season was going no where with him?

RAC started with control and it slowly got taken away. Starting with him sticking with Mo.

anyone think savage would be ok with being director of player personnel if he absolutely has to? personally, i like him as GM and want him to stay on, but i'm not nuts about his PR abilities. dude needs to take some college courses or something.

That quote about his mind not being made up scares the SHIT out of me. It says to me that RAC COULD still be here next year. After last week, I can't believe it's Tuesday and we're still talking about the fat oaf in the context of 'still coach'.

What the hell does it take? It seems everyone who watches football can see what an absolute disaster this guy is a headcoach. FIRE HIM ALREADY!

I honestly don't know if I can take another season of fatty on the sidelines looking like friggin' Eeyore.

If Crennel is retained and I'm Brady Quinn, Edwards, Winslow, and Shawn Rogers, I'm on the phone with my agent begging to be traded.

Agreed 100%. There are a few people in this thread who have some obvious mental issues, and I would recommend help. Personal vendettas it seems, though I highly doubt these ingrates have any inside information, nor personal experience with any of the men they are trashing. Get rid of Romeo and most if not all of the rest of the coaching staff, and get a disciplinarian with some fire in his belly in here. (Marty) You people seem to forget Romeo was on his way out the door last year, and Savage had intended on replacing him with the giant orange pumpkin. After the shocker of a season last year, his hands were tied ...as were Romeos with starting that career 3rd string DA. And so it goes.

Guest Ghoolie
Well maybe Quinn, but I have a feeling Crennel has a lot of the other guys in his pocket, he's laid back he doesn't ride them too hard. The players coach as they say. Does not bode well for successful football though...

This is a sick franchise. The owner is not a football man, his football man is a jackoff and his head coach is laying low, collecting a check just waiting for his next head coaching opportunity. You think Crennel cares abotu this dysfunctional pile of shit? I don't. He is simply riding the wave. Sewage makes too many football decisions and THAT is what has kept Crennell from being fired.

Seriously man, this franchsie is sick and its not going to change. Not until we get a new owner or this team moves.

You are a real sucker atenears if you think that lerner is committed to this team keep dreaming man you guys that buy all that crap need to learn from the past i have no confidence in lerner at all in the man or the people he will hire/promote i would love for him to fix things but he is not capable of tying his own shoe when it comes to football personnel and i expect nothing to really change where it counts..in management mark my words names will change but the clubs inept organization will not its part of the owners dna and lerners dna is weaksauce...with lots of McCash from suckers that buy the change is coming routine and blindly fill his coffers like zombies..if he proves me wrong i will be the first to stick my foot in my mouth but nothing is getting better for a very long time..

Archived