THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Savage Drafts

Sony Reed

So the NYT, ESPN, Sporting News, NOLA, Football Guys, and NY Daily News are all following my political board tricks here? I dont get it, Flugs. You say he wouldve fit our system. I post the opinion of every major source I can find saying that he didnt fit Mangini's 3-4. You tell me I'm Christopher Columbus??

And how on earth do you think his injury HELPS your argument?? His big dropoff was from 05 to 06. He barely played at all in '07. And the Jets thought his injury would have long-term affects. But you wanted Phil to sign him? Sorry that I left out the injury. I can see how that makes him more a attractive player.

wtf?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the NYT, ESPN, Sporting News, NOLA, Football Guys, and NY Daily News are all following my political board tricks here? I dont get it, Flugs. You say he wouldve fit our system. I post the opinion of every major source I can find saying that he didnt fit Mangini's 3-4.

wtf?

LOL! Just busting your balls about Columbus.

I think GOOD ILBers are flexible. Ray Lewis and Leon Williams went to the same school right? They both went to pro teams that have used 3-4s. Ratbirds have used both a 4-3 and a 3-4. Lewis was solid enough for both.

I thought that Jets team that almost beat Pitt without a healthy John Abraham had a nice D. They used a 3-4 - maybe not Manigini's version but they used it. Roberstson was drafted to play Nose Tackel Tups. Vilma hurt his knee in 2007 and never fully recovered in 2007. I think it was more that than what the column sists were saying.

Back to the point of the WHOLE arguement. After 4 years of Savage we should have betetr LBers for a 3-4. Maybe they'll prove me wrong today.

- Tom F.

I'm thinking Lerner should stick with Phil. I think his eye for talent is better than average. I think there is adequate talent here and with the right coaching, we'll be competitive and even a 10 win team.

Savage + Schottenheimer is my vote. (Romeo just called timeout, down 19, the Titans have the ball, with 1:53 left in the game. Titans fans boing confusingly. Pffft).

D. Jackson had a great game today.

LOL! Just busting your balls about Columbus.

I think GOOD ILBers are flexible. Ray Lewis and Leon Williams went to the same school right? They both went to pro teams that have used 3-4s. Ratbirds have used both a 4-3 and a 3-4. Lewis was solid enough for both.

I thought that Jets team that almost beat Pitt without a healthy John Abraham had a nice D. They used a 3-4 - maybe not Manigini's version but they used it. Roberstson was drafted to play Nose Tackel Tups. Vilma hurt his knee in 2007 and never fully recovered in 2007. I think it was more that than what the column sists were saying.

Back to the point of the WHOLE arguement. After 4 years of Savage we should have betetr LBers for a 3-4. Maybe they'll prove me wrong today.

- Tom F.

Do you remember Ray lewis bitching up a storm when they were playing a 3-4? Couldn't roam and make plays.. instead got locked up with guards and had a bad year>>>> Ray lewis isn't a great 3-4 LB imo... as to savage's lb drafts....he has atleast tried to get lb's...Jackson,wim, hall, and a slew of fa's...i'm sure that plays into your point....what I like is he see's the Problem...No?

I'm thinking Lerner should stick with Phil. I think his eye for talent is better than average. I think there is adequate talent here and with the right coaching, we'll be competitive and even a 10 win team.

D. Jackson had a great game today.

That was the best I've ever seen him play so is that the rule or the exception? Sure would be nice if we ONLY needed to replace Andra Davis because we ALSO need a bigtime RB, right side upgrade on the oline (bad stuff this year), WR opposite Edwards, and an x-factor pass rusher. Wimbley had 1 nice pass rush but the key word in that sentence is 1. We also need to think about age/upside at Center and at Willie McGinest's spot. Hall impressed me this year and I forgot him in some of my rants against this last draft. Could it hurt to play Beau Bell over Andra Davis right about now? What would we lose in doing so?

I'm arriving at the point where if we land Cowher - I won't MIND what we do at the GM spot. At least we were all in unison that RAC sucks in Cleveland. I never argued against his departure - I just wanted to make sure we got all of the staff infection this time around. A prescription of Bill Cowher or even Marty would really release alot of the ugly venom I've had lately. That doesn't mean I'm a rah rah Savage guy at all. I'm still not - just means bringing on Marty or Cowher will dot this i and cross this t about whether Savage can

I'm just so sick of debating WHY we suck all the time. Trust me when I tell you I'd rather be exchanging high 5s and summarizing Ws with "wasn't that pretty freakin cool to see Eroc Wright take Eli's pass 92 yards for the game sealing score?"

I think we deserve SO MUCH better than ending every season arguing over why we suck and who is most at fault. Been there, done that.

I'm wrong alot - just not this time. Only kidding!The kinder, gentler version of Tom F.

I continue to read people praising Phil Savage has a talent guru and for his great drafting, we all know of Savage's era in Baltimore drafting quarterbacks thats not very good, what I have also noticed is Phil has not been so great at drafting wide receivers and linebackers while in Cleveland.

Wide Receivers Drafted:

Paul Hubbard

Syndric Steptoe

Travis Wilson

Braylon Edwards

Besides Braylon Edwards not such a impressive list

Linebackers:

David McMillan - Not On A NFL Roster

Nick Speegle Not On A NFL Roster

Leon Willams FLOP

D'Qwell Jackson - Best Linebacker of a poor linebacker group

Kameiron Wimbly BUST - One rush move, nothing since rookie season

The Browns under Phil Savage has drafted 30 players in the 4 drafts Savage has conducted and out of those drafts we currently have 9 starters: Wright, McDonald, Pool, Jackson, Wimbley, Edwards, Thomas, Vickers and Quinn and 8 backup players.

IMO looking at that list with Edwards and Thomas being top 3 picks I don't see any other player being a impact player or playmaker from that group though Eric Wright might become a top cornerback in this league and Quinn could become the franchise quarterback we have been looking for.

When I look at a guy like Lance Moore last night whom the Browns released it makes me question the talent evaluators on this team, Lance Moore would be a excellent number 2 receiver on this team yet behind Edwards and Stallworth we have a group of special teamers pretending to be NFL receivers and who is the guy responsible for the roster? Phil Savage

But People here believe Savage is this great talent guru.

Where are all these gems Savage has found? other than Josh Cribbs ?

Well, Sonny you certainly understand that Phil Sewage does not have a clue........yet the populous of Browns fans think he has upgraded the talent..........and all the fault is Romeo's for a POS team.............Sonny you get it.........as for Browns Town.............we been snockered............and did you notice Jeff Davidson leading the offense of the Panthers run over Tampa.......he got fired by Sewage..........and Sewage passed on Williams and cut Antonio Bryant

• 2 months later...
Guest Aloysius
seeing as how we likely can't steal dick lebeau to be our DC, what do you guys think of at least stealing their LB coach? keith butler was a seahawk from 1978-87. joined the steelers in 2003. was the browns LB coach from 99-02. was DC at arkansas state in 1998.

i don't know if he could be a decent DC, but i think he's proven himself a great LB coach. why'd we let him get away? could we get him back?

Apparently, you & Ken Whisenhunt think alike. The Cardinals have received permission to interview Butler for their vacant DC job.

It's unlikely that the Steelers would have given us permission; in fact, they wouldn't let Butler go when Whisenhunt tried to bring him to Arizona two years ago. But it looks like Butler is indeed an up & comer in the league.

It should be interesting to see who we bring in to be our LB coach. Mangini seemed to imply that the coach will be coming from the college ranks. Maybe he's bringing in someone like Bob Diaco from Al Groh's staff at Virginia.

Have to quote you Tupa in response to Flugs.

Because this is yet again a case where people want to complain about a player getting a free agent contract that made them "overpaid". They weren't "overpaid" they were paid what the market would bear that year, and as you pointed out, there weren't any stellar replacements out there in FA to take his spot.

And I've said this before too. You can't claim any of these players were that over paid when we have NEVER in the Savage era been anywhere near in any kind of trouble with the Salary cap.

Have to disagree. Good football teams don't pay too much for bad players, even if they don't have a replacement. They wait until replacements are available and get by. Paying too much for mediocracy just eats up cap space and wastes money.

Archived