THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC Playoff Picture

WPB Dawg Fan

8 weeks into the season we can start to see which teams are for real...which ones are really bad...and which ones have an outside chance for the playoffs. Right now there are probably 13 teams with a SHOT at getting into the 6 playoff spots...but reality will cut that number considerably.

To start with, here are the division leaders:

East: New England 5-2 (division record is better than Buffalo)

West: Denver 4-3

North: Pittsburgh 5-2

South: Tennessee 7-0

And here are the CURRENT wildcard leaders:

WC #1: Buffalo 5-2

WC #2: Baltimore 4-3 (conference record is better than NYJ)

The next group is:

NY Jets: 4-3

Cleveland: 3-4

Indianapolis: 3-4

Miami: 3-4

Jacksonville: 3-4

Houston: 3-4

San Diego 3-5

Amazingly, this coming week is going to go a long way in determining who will still be in the hunt come the end of the season. Big games include:

NYJ @ Buffalo - The winner of this will likely have the inside track for the first WC spot, especially if it is Buffalo...but a Buffalo win also keeps their Div Champ hopes alive. With the Bills 3-0 at home and the Jets just 1-2 on the road...the Jets likely fall to 4-4 (with a 3-4 conference record.

Baltimore @ Cleveland - A Baltimore win solidifies them as a contender for BOTH the WC spot and the AFC North Div crown. A Cleveland win pulls them even with Baltimore and give them a 4-1 record in their last 5 games...and with games vs Denver/Buf/Hou/Indy in the next 4 weeks they would be in control of their own destiny. After the big road win I see the Browns finally getting a little more consistent.

Miami @ Denver - Miami is a strange team. They win games they shouldn't...and lose ones they should be competitive in. Already they have beaten NE/Buf/SD...all teams thought to be in the playoff hunt. Denver had a hot start, but have looked shaky of late...going 1-3 over their last 4 games. Their lack of defense should feed into the Dolphins strengths...and Porter may be visiting the Broncos backfield often.

New England @ Indianapolis - New England seems to be doing it with smoke and mirrors. Nothing really stands out about this team...their D is old..and their QB is NOT Tom Brady. The Colts are suffering from a sever lack of OL and D. With Indy at home and NEEDING a win to stay in the hunt...I highly doubt Manning will let this team lose.

Other games with playoff implications: Jax @ Cinci; Hou @ Min; Pit @ Was

8 weeks into the season we can start to see which teams are for real...which ones are really bad...and which ones have an outside chance for the playoffs. Right now there are probably 13 teams with a SHOT at getting into the 6 playoff spots...but reality will cut that number considerably.

The next group is:

San Diego 3-5

Amazingly, this coming week is going to go a long way in determining who will still be in the hunt come the end of the season. Big games include:

NYJ @ Buffalo - The winner of this will likely have the inside track for the first WC spot, especially if it is Buffalo...but a Buffalo win also keeps their Div Champ hopes alive. With the Bills 3-0 at home and the Jets just 1-2 on the road...the Jets likely fall to 4-4 (with a 3-4 conference record.

Baltimore @ Cleveland - A Baltimore win solidifies them as a contender for BOTH the WC spot and the AFC North Div crown. A Cleveland win pulls them even with Baltimore and give them a 4-1 record in their last 5 games...and with games vs Denver/Buf/Hou/Indy in the next 4 weeks they would be in control of their own destiny. After the big road win I see the Browns finally getting a little more consistent.

Miami @ Denver - Miami is a strange team. They win games they shouldn't...and lose ones they should be competitive in. Already they have beaten NE/Buf/SD...all teams thought to be in the playoff hunt. Denver had a hot start, but have looked shaky of late...going 1-3 over their last 4 games. Their lack of defense should feed into the Dolphins strengths...and Porter may be visiting the Broncos backfield often.

New England @ Indianapolis - New England seems to be doing it with smoke and mirrors. Nothing really stands out about this team...their D is old..and their QB is NOT Tom Brady. The Colts are suffering from a sever lack of OL and D. With Indy at home and NEEDING a win to stay in the hunt...I highly doubt Manning will let this team lose.

The magic number is 6 my friend....Browns win 9 games they will make the playoffs.

The next group is:

San Diego 3-5

Great post a lot of good stuff there and clarification of who is still in and who is playing who and all those things. Oddly the Steelers are going to be in position here possibly to help out the Browns in the coming weeks in the wildcard standings should they beat the Colts and Chargers in Pittsburgh which I believe will happen. I agree with you that Indy is facing a MUST win game this week at home against the Patriots before coming to play the Steelers here at Heinz Field the next week. They cannot afford to fall to 3-5 and then make a trip to Pittsburgh the week after where they have been terrible on the road this season.

Buffalo is still in excellent shape to win the division because they still have 2 games left with the Patriots and 2 games left with the Jets. Dont count out the Texans and Jags the next 2 weeks either. They both have winnable games coming up Houston plays the Vikings on the road and the Ravens at home the next 2 games, and the Jags play the Bengals and the Lions the next 2 weeks both are the only winless teams in football. So both of them can easily be 5-4 as well and right back in the thick of things. The two teams that stand out I think that really need to start winning are the Colts and Jags because both of them have already lost a lot of tiebrakers in the AFC, both have terrible conference records, and both have a lot of tough games coming up later on in the season or in the Colts case the next few weeks.

Oddly the Steelers are going to be in position here possibly to help out the Browns in the coming weeks in the wildcard standings should they beat the Colts and Chargers in Pittsburgh which I believe will happen.

Kind of a win/win for the Browns. If the Steelers win, we gain on the WC spot...and if the Steelers lose, we gain on the Division lead.

GOTTA LOVE IT!!! icon_mrgreen.gif

Oddly the Steelers are going to be in position here possibly to help out the Browns in the coming weeks in the wildcard standings should they beat the Colts and Chargers in Pittsburgh which I believe will happen.

Kind of a win/win for the Browns. If the Steelers win, we gain on the WC spot...and if the Steelers lose, we gain on the Division lead.

GOTTA LOVE IT!!! icon_mrgreen.gif

You gain if the Browns win of course that has to happen first and foremost...Im rooting for the Browns this week because I want both the Browns and Ravens to be 4-4 and the Steelers to win on Monday night it puts them at 6-2 and a full 2 1/2 games up on both of them. Even if the Steelers do lose on Monday night and the Browns happen to win and be 4-4 they will still be 5-3 still with no conference losses in the AFC at 5-0 and have the next 3 games at home against AFC teams such as the Colts,Chargers,and Bengals. I'm not expecting the Steelers to lose to the Redskins but if they do it wont mean the end of the world because the Steelers will still be in pretty good shape with a not so good Colts and Chargers teams coming in here the next 2 weeks before the winless Bungles on the Thursday night in November.

The bottom line is the schedule sets up very well for the Steelers in the upcoming weeks after the Redskins game Monday night win or lose. If the Steelers win the Skins game they are at the very worst going to go 2-1 in that 3 game home stretch. Both Indy and San Diego will not beat the Steelers. One of them might, but both of them wont. And the Steelers are going to beat the Bengals. So in my opinion, if we beat the Skins Monday night we go into the Pats game on November 30th with no worse then an 8-3 record. The Browns are going to lose at least one game between now and November 30th so that will give them at least 5 losses and possibly more depending upon what happens.

all these for sure wins and losses you know about make me want to contact you about helping me pick some numbers for the lottery.

Not saying anything is for sure I just said the way the Colts and Chargers have looked thus far this season being inconsistent and playing horrible on the road I dont see both of them being able to beat the Steelers here at Heinz Field. The Giants are a much better team on both sides of the ball then both the Colts and Chargers are and the Steelers were one botched long snap on a punt away from beating them.

Terrific stuff, John.

I agree with whoever said the magic number is 6 more wins and a 9-7 record. That gets us to the playoffs.

To drag my favorite subject back in: The Browns go 9-7 and get in as a Wild Card. Anderson has a 75 passer rating, good for 23rd in the NFL. He's owed a $5 mill bonus that all but guarantees he's the starter again next year, sealing Quinn's trade fate.

What do you do?

Keep them both for another year....Quinn is under contract for 3 more years and $5M isn't really that big of a gamble.

I figured we were doomed after the Washington loss, and I may be wrong.

The way I see it is we absolutely have to win our next 2 games at home...can we score enough to beat Balt? Can we actually beat Denver (they have owned us since the early 70s)?

We will have to score TDs to beat Balt, no more red zone disasters for #3.

If we get to 5-4, then we can start hoping....

I figured we were doomed after the Washington loss, and I may be wrong.

The way I see it is we absolutely have to win our next 2 games at home...can we score enough to beat Balt? Can we actually beat Denver (they have owned us since the early 70s)?

We will have to score TDs to beat Balt, no more red zone disasters for #3.

If we get to 5-4, then we can start hoping....

I would have to agree with the "doomed" feeling and would love to be wrong about us making the playoffs but as someone said in an earlier post.."we have to win those games first". Now if you are talking about our records vs other teams then here are a few matchups.

Against BAL we are 5-11

The Broncos have owned us at 5-16 but thank god we are playing at home.

7-5 against BUF

2-2 against HOU

14-10 against the colts

32-26 over the Titans

31-14 over PHI

33-34 against CIN

and 55-53 over the Squeelers (but I think that's wrong. I think they lead in all time Wins)

I have to agree with the fact the the Broncos have owned us in the past but as long as we don't see any major meltdowns we should be able to handle them at home.

and the Steelers were one botched long snap on a punt away from beating them.

Hahahahaha...

I just find it hilarious to see a steeler fan talking about "one play away from victory"

The Browns have been there with you guys for the past few games, one play away indeed.

I know you personally haven't busted our balls over this (or maybe you have and I missed it) but many of your brethren have slammed us for such talk.

The Browns are playing better and have definitely turned things around over the last 4 games going 3-1. They have played just as good if not better as the Steelers have over the course of the last few weeks. But they are still are 2 games behind in the standings at the end of the day with a trip to Pittsburgh still yet to come. I will come on here and make no excuses the Steelers didnt get it done against the Giants and they made more plays then the Steelers did. But for some Browns fans to come on here and say the Steelers are about to go into a downslide because of one loss is just dumb. We were hearing the same exact things on this board from the same people after the loss to the Eagles where the Steelers played horrible as well about how things were about to fall apart and look what happened. One game and one loss will not destroy this Steelers team. It has too much talent, and is too good on both sides of the ball to just completely go in the tank and fall apart like so many on this board like to think will happen. Like it or not the Steelers arent gonna fall apart and the Browns are still going to have to go through the Steelers that last game of the season here at Heinz Field most likely to either win the division or make the playoffs as a wildcard team when all is said and done.

Nice Work Dawg Fan! It would be awsome if you could keep this post updated every week.

That is the plan...I will be editing the first post every week to show things are progressing....as long as we are even remotely in the running.

The results of these games did a lot....

NYJ @ Buffalo - the Jets win takes them to 5-3 and are not among the leaders for a playoff spot. Buffalo, also now 5-3 are in a bit of trouble as they are 0-2 in division and due to that are in 3rd in the East.

Baltimore @ Cleveland - Baltimore, now at 5-3 (same in conference) is now in the #1 WC spot....and a loss by Pittsburgh tonight gives them a share of the North. Cleveland is now 0-2 vs Baltimore...and 0-1 vs Pittsburgh...which means it's only chance is to catch at least 2 teams that are 2 games ahead of them....which is NOT LIKELY!

Miami @ Denver - Miami continues to beat playoff level teams...and with this victory is sitting 8th and still in a viable position. Denver is melting down, and is 1-4 over it's last 5 games....I still think they continue this and SD ends up winning the West.

New England @ Indianapolis - The Colts win keeps them in the chase for the final WC spot...and makes things very confusing in the East with NE/NYJ/Buf all at 5-3...and Miami at 4-4!!!

Other games with playoff implications: Jacksonville's loss has all but eliminated them as they have slipped to 12th. Houston is also pretty much out of it now ranking 13th.

Pittsburgh @ Washington has become a HUGE game for the Steelers. They need this considering the remaining schedule they face compared to what the Ravens face.

Here are the standing as of now:

East: New England 5-3 (overall like games record)

West: Denver 4-4

North: Pittsburgh 5-2 (will still lead even if they lose...by head to head)

South: Tennessee 8-0

WC #1: Baltimore 5-3 (best conference record of teams at 5-3)

WC #2: NY Jets 5-3 (Head to head vs Buffalo)

The next group is:

Buffalo: 5-3

Indianapolis: 4-4

Miami: 4-4

San Diego: 3-5 (best bet is winning the west)

They all but deads:

Cleveland: 3-5

Houston: 3-5

Jacksonville's loss to Cleveland actually makes it's chances worse than Houston's...so count them out.

The results of these games did a lot....

NYJ @ Buffalo - the Jets win takes them to 5-3 and are not among the leaders for a playoff spot. Buffalo, also now 5-3 are in a bit of trouble as they are 0-2 in division and due to that are in 3rd in the East.

Baltimore @ Cleveland - Baltimore, now at 5-3 (same in conference) is now in the #1 WC spot....and a loss by Pittsburgh tonight gives them a share of the North. Cleveland is now 0-2 vs Baltimore...and 0-1 vs Pittsburgh...which means it's only chance is to catch at least 2 teams that are 2 games ahead of them....which is NOT LIKELY!

Miami @ Denver - Miami continues to beat playoff level teams...and with this victory is sitting 8th and still in a viable position. Denver is melting down, and is 1-4 over it's last 5 games....I still think they continue this and SD ends up winning the West.

New England @ Indianapolis - The Colts win keeps them in the chase for the final WC spot...and makes things very confusing in the East with NE/NYJ/Buf all at 5-3...and Miami at 4-4!!!

Other games with playoff implications: Jacksonville's loss has all but eliminated them as they have slipped to 12th. Houston is also pretty much out of it now ranking 13th.

Pittsburgh @ Washington has become a HUGE game for the Steelers. They need this considering the remaining schedule they face compared to what the Ravens face.

East: New England 5-3 (overall like games record)

North: Pittsburgh 5-2 (will still lead even if they lose...by head to head)

WC #2: NY Jets 5-3 (Head to head vs Buffalo)

The next group is:

They all but deads:

Cleveland: 3-5

Houston: 3-5

Jacksonville's loss to Cleveland actually makes it's chances worse than Houston's...so count them out.

The Steelers are still even if they lose tonight not only in good shape to win the division still even though they would be tied with the Ravens, but also get that number 2 seed in the AFC quite simply because the Steelers still have 0 conference losses and are currently 5-0 in the AFC with 3 winnable AFC games coming up at home these next 3 weeks against Indy,SD,and Cincy. In the AFC East no matter who is leading that division here is how it breaks down with AFC games at the moment. Buffalo has 2 conferences with a record of 5-3,the Jets have 3 conference losses with a record of 5-3 ,and the Pats have 3 as well with a record of 5-3. And all 3 of these teams play each other the next few weeks which will give them more conference losses. In the AFC West the Broncos are at first place at 4-4 but are 2-4 in the AFC, and the Chargers are 3-5 and are 3-3 in the AFC. So the point is we can still lose to Washington tonight and have 0 conference losses and be in first place with the Ravens since we did beat them and have the head to head.

I dont know where you get off in thinking that the Ravens have an easier schedule then the Steelers the rest of the way. The Ravens the next 2 weeks have to go to Houston and play the Texans who always play good at Reliant and are desperate to get a win to stay in wildcard contention, and then they have to go play the Giants down in New York the week after. The Steelers in that span will be home against the Colts and Chargers followed by the Bengals. The Ravens also have games still left with Philly,Washington,and Dallas as well. So while the Steelers schedule is tough and the Ravens still have a game with us at the own place in December the Steelers still have the favorable matchups in the schedule I believe coming up over the next few weeks.

As I said in another post the Browns chances of catching the Steelers or the Ravens in this division now went poof like a fart in the wind yesterday. I do enjoy reading your post WPB and how you break everything down. But I really think you and a lot of other people on this board overlooked the Ravens, and automatically thought just because the game was in Cleveland and the Browns got their ass kicked in Week 3 by the Ravens that they just had to show up and they were going to win this game.

As I said in another post the Browns chances of catching the Steelers or the Ravens in this division now went poof like a fart in the wind yesterday. I do enjoy reading your post WPB and how you break everything down. But I really think you and a lot of other people on this board overlooked the Ravens, and automatically thought just because the game was in Cleveland and the Browns got their ass kicked in Week 3 by the Ravens that they just had to show up and they were going to win this game.

The Ravens didn't give us an ass whoopin in either game. We gave it to them plain and simple. Both games were hi-lighted much more by what we FAILED to do than what the Ravens actually did.

In game 1....DA INT's destroyed an incredible defensive game and handed them the victory...and you cannot even say those INT's were great plays...YOU could have made them.

In yesterday's game....the offense did NOTHING in the first half except the tying FG...and then Cribbs handed them ANOTHER TD before they went into hibernation for the rest of the game and left the D out to dry. And again, a DA INT on a gimme sealed it.

Cleveland LOST 2 games...Baltimore was just the lucky recipient.

Anyway, we are pretty much done...I am hoping to see if we have the future sitting on the bench over the next couple weeks....otherwise this season will be a total loss and not worth watching.

The Ravens didn't give us an ass whoopin in either game. We gave it to them plain and simple. Both games were hi-lighted much more by what we FAILED to do than what the Ravens actually did.

In game 1....DA INT's destroyed an incredible defensive game and handed them the victory...and you cannot even say those INT's were great plays...YOU could have made them.

In yesterday's game....the offense did NOTHING in the first half except the tying FG...and then Cribbs handed them ANOTHER TD before they went into hibernation for the rest of the game and left the D out to dry. And again, a DA INT on a gimme sealed it.

Cleveland LOST 2 games...Baltimore was just the lucky recipient.

Anyway, we are pretty much done...I am hoping to see if we have the future sitting on the bench over the next couple weeks....otherwise this season will be a total loss and not worth watching.

This Ravens team is no slouch as Ive been saying here and I really believe you arent giving them the kind of credit they deserve. They took the Steelers to OT and could have easily won that game here a month ago in Pittsburgh. They were shutting down the Tennessee Titans the entire game in Baltimore and were up 10-6 with 2 minutes left before the Titans took the lead for the only time in the game with about a minute or so left. Those two teams are currently the number 1 and 2 seeds in the AFC right now and the Ravens were very very close to beating them both on back to back weeks. And they beat as were finding out a pretty good Miami Dolphins team on the road as well. This is the same Dolphins team that has went into New England and Denver and won, and also beat two pretty good teams in San Diego and Buffalo in Miami. The Ravens I do believe are legit and will be able to stay in this AFC North race for the majority of the season. Give them a little bit of credit here at least because they have earned it and deserve I think based on what I just said here.

They have the same defense they always have...but I still think they are basically a flawed team. Our problem with them is that we GAVE them too many plays. The Browns...as a team...are better than their record. But unfortunately they have not played consistant on EITHER side of the ball, but primarily on the offensive side.

I give them credit...and I think they will be in the playoffs...but I really don't think they ass-whooped us. We GAVE THEM too many plays and they took advantage.

Just for an example...the INT for a TD....that play was set up PERFECTLY and they bought into it...but DA threw the ball outside instead of where it was set to go....result, TD for Ravens instead of HUGE gainer for Cleveland. Nothing the Ravens did on that play was good....we handed it to them.

Again, look at the pass to BE. It was perfect. BE had his guy beat. WE dropped it. Not anything Baltimore did effected that play either. OUR mistakes cost us the game.

They have the same defense they always have...but I still think they are basically a flawed team. Our problem with them is that we GAVE them too many plays. The Browns...as a team...are better than their record. But unfortunately they have not played consistant on EITHER side of the ball, but primarily on the offensive side.

I give them credit...and I think they will be in the playoffs...but I really don't think they ass-whooped us. We GAVE THEM too many plays and they took advantage.

Just for an example...the INT for a TD....that play was set up PERFECTLY and they bought into it...but DA threw the ball outside instead of where it was set to go....result, TD for Ravens instead of HUGE gainer for Cleveland. Nothing the Ravens did on that play was good....we handed it to them.

Again, look at the pass to BE. It was perfect. BE had his guy beat. WE dropped it. Not anything Baltimore did effected that play either. OUR mistakes cost us the game.

They are definitely a legit wildcard contender as we sit here today and are still very much alive in the AFC North race as well. A loss tonight in Washington by the Steelers puts the Ravens in a tie for first place with the Steelers and Ravens both having 5-3 records. The Steelers still hold the tiebraker of course since they did beat the Ravens and would remain in first place overall. I definitely am a bit more concerned about the Ravens in this division then I was let's say after the Colts spanked them a few weeks back. The schedule still as I said before favors the Steelers the next few weeks seeing that the Ravens have their next 2 games on the road at Houston and the Giants followed by having to play a tough game at home against the Eagles. The Steelers as Ive been saying for awhile have Indy,SD,and Cincy at home in that same stretch for 3 weeks in a row. So let's see how the Ravens fair the next few weeks on the road in Houston and against the Giants. Then, we will know for sure if they are a legit threat to overtake the Steelers in the AFC North Division which I still dont think they are just yet.

Pittsburgh's win over Washington despite Ben coming out with an injury has solidified them (along with some other key losses) as the #2 team in the AFC. It should be an interesting finish!!!

East: New York Jets 5-3 (best divisional record)

North: Pittsburgh 6-2

WC #2: New England 5-3 (better divisional record than Buffalo)

The next group is:

They all but deads:

Cleveland: 3-5 (can the change at QB turn them around?)

Houston: 3-5 (change at QB too, but not by choice)

Jacksonville's loss to Cleveland actually makes it's chances worse than Houston's.

As for the key games this coming week:

Denver @ Cleveland: The Browns problems have primarily been on the offensive side of the ball. Denver has the WORST defense in the NFL. I believe the change at QB for the Browns and the atmosphere in Cleveland this Thursday will bring a new level of play and the Browns should be able to win this one...that and the fact the Broncos are 1-4 in their last 5 games and their only road win was vs lowly Oakland in week 1.

Baltimore @ Houston: Schaub went down and will be out for several weeks at the least. The Ravens meanwhile have put together a 3 game winning streak by an average of 14 points. With the Baltimore defense clicking...the Texans should say goodbye to any and all playoff hopes this week...and the Ravens will put themselves in great position for a WC or even a run at the North.

Buffalo @ New England: Both teams are coming off a loss, but Buffalo is 1-3 over their last 4 games and looking shaky offensively (over 20 only 1x). Buffalo has also failed to beat a single team with a winning record. New England is 3-1 at home and had won 2 straight before last week. New England @ home should be too much for Edwards and the Bills.

Indianapolis @ Pittsburgh: I could go on and on...but the fact is Indy is an injured and incomplete team and Pittsburgh is winning even when Ben is out of the game...and against much better competition than Indy represents. This SHOULD be an easy win for the Steelers.

Other games of interest: Seattle @ Miami (who would have imagined Miami in the hunt?), St. Louis @ NY Jets (Jets need this to keep their playoff spot), KC @ SD (good chance a win here ties them with Denver for the West lead...at 4-5!!!)

The Browns are definitely underachieving based on their talent (which is substantial). It really boils down to coaching, and that issue will define the Browns until it's corrected.

Looking at this...and now with a little hope (I said HOPE) for consistency...the Browns have pretty good control of their own destiny. They sit 11th in the division, but play Denver/Buffalo/Houston/Indianapolis over the next 4 weeks.

Denver is 1-4 over their last 5 games

Buffalo has lost 2 in a row and now face NE...so it might be 3 in a row by Monday

Houston is 3-5 and going up against Baltimore and Indy before they come to us

Indianapolis is facing @ Pittsburgh/Houston/@ San Diego before coming to town

All in all, those 4 are games we could legitimately win...and if we do it will put us at 7-5....and Indy/Buffalo/Denver should all end up behind us in the standings....leaving us to fight it out with Baltimore and two of the remaining AFC East (NY/NE/Mia) for the remaining WC spots (keep in mind one of the East teams will be the Div Champ).

The remaining games include Cinci/Phili/Tennesee/Pittsburgh. Tennessee is likely a loss no matter what, Cinci SHOULD be a win, so that leaves Phili (we are sandwiched between games vs the Giants and Redskins) and the Steelers (we come off of Cinci and they come off of Tennessee and may not need the win for home field).

Damn Browns....always finding just the right cord to pluck to give us HOPE!!! (HOPE is a four letter word!!!)

Looking at this...and now with a little hope (I said HOPE) for consistency...the Browns have pretty good control of their own destiny. They sit 11th in the division, but play Denver/Buffalo/Houston/Indianapolis over the next 4 weeks.

Denver is 1-4 over their last 5 games

Buffalo has lost 2 in a row and now face NE...so it might be 3 in a row by Monday

Houston is 3-5 and going up against Baltimore and Indy before they come to us

Indianapolis is facing @ Pittsburgh/Houston/@ San Diego before coming to town

All in all, those 4 are games we could legitimately win...and if we do it will put us at 7-5....and Indy/Buffalo/Denver should all end up behind us in the standings....leaving us to fight it out with Baltimore and two of the remaining AFC East (NY/NE/Mia) for the remaining WC spots (keep in mind one of the East teams will be the Div Champ).

The remaining games include Cinci/Phili/Tennesee/Pittsburgh. Tennessee is likely a loss no matter what, Cinci SHOULD be a win, so that leaves Phili (we are sandwiched between games vs the Giants and Redskins) and the Steelers (we come off of Cinci and they come off of Tennessee and may not need the win for home field).

Damn Browns....always finding just the right cord to pluck to give us HOPE!!! (HOPE is a four letter word!!!)

The Browns have to win the next 4 games I think to have any realistic chance to compete for a wildcard spot at this point...They already have a bad conference record and have lost tiebrakers to Baltimore who looks to be a wildcard team, but the bottom line is either the Browns win against the Broncos,Bills,Houston,and Indy and get to 7-5 like you said or their playoff chances are all but done. Maybe having Brady Quinn at QB at this point will give the Browns at least a chance to do that because it's obvious if Derek Anderson is at QB for the Browns the next 4 games they have no chance of winning all of them.

yeah, we know Holmes, they are going to win 5 straight. Wait, no, you changed that to 4 straight after they got beat and then won at washington. Titans I heard have an okay defense too.

All I know is the Steelers will be in the playoffs and have a chance to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl and the Browns like always will be sitting at home watching it all take place...So 4 straight or 5 straight doesnt really matter the Steelers are actually going somewhere this season. Where are the Browns going?? Nowhere!!!

Nobody on this board gives a rats ass about the steelers and there playoff asperations, dont you have some steeler buddies you can go gloat with somewhere else. The Browns time will come, in the meanwhile we do not need you steeler fans on our site telling us how great the steelers are. Oh and Tennesse is gonna whomp your guys' ass.

The big news coming out of last week was Baltimore catching Pittsburgh in the AFC North (but they face the NYG, so will it be short lived?). The other big news was New England beating Buffalo to remain atop the East. Cleveland's loss to Denver (man that hurt) was all but the last straw. They are MATHEMATICALLY still alive...but let's face it...this season is over so I am hoping for more of our young guys!!! Anyway...the playoffs....

East: New England 6-3 (best divisional record)

West: Denver 5-4

North: Pittsburgh 6-3

South: Tennessee 9-0

WC #1: Baltimore 6-3

WC #2: New York Jets 6-3

The next group is:

Buffalo: 5-4

Indianapolis: 5-4

Miami: 5-4

San Diego: 4-5 (best bet is winning the west)

Jacksonville: 4-5

They all but deads:

Cleveland: 3-6 (BQ looked good, but they need 7 in a row, not likely)

Houston: 3-6 (almost no hope as they are not looking good)

As for the key games this coming week:

NY Jets @ New England - Wow, for the second straight week the Patriots are playing in a game with a co-leader in the East. They got by Buffalo (who has been struggling), but the Jets are 4-1 in last 5....I think the experience of Favre will outweigh the home field advantage.

Houston @ Indianapolis - Indy is playing for their playoff lives...and although Houston is technically alive they are in reality playing for draft position. Indy showed it's true heart by beating the Steelers and will continue the run. This shouldn't even be close.

Tennessee @ Jacksonville - The Jags managed to keep their hopes alive, but they are playing at home where they are 1-3 so far this season. The Titans showed they can win using the pass against the Bears...and I don't see them falling here.

San Diego @ Pittsburgh - The Chargers remain in the running for the West...and the Steelers are still clinging to the lead in the North...but with the injuries the Steelers have...will they be able to rebound from the melt-down against Indy??? SD has not traveled well (1-4), but the Steelers home field advantage has been minimal (2-2). The question will be if SD can get to Ben. If so, the Chargers should win this one.

Cleveland @ Buffalo - The Browns need 7 in a row...and that may not even be enough. The change to BQ seems to have given the offense a new look...but the injuries on the DL (Rogers in particular with ribs and wrist) took a huge bite out of the D! The Bills are in the middle of a 1-4 swoon...and Edwards has struggled as of late. Are the Browns catching the Bills at the right time? It depends on Rogers. If he is healthy, look for the Browns to win this one.

Baltimore @ NY Giants - The Ravens have fought their way all the way back to tie the Steelers...but the Giants are just playing at another level completely. This is going to be a black and blue slugfest...but I just don't think Flacco is ready for the kind of pressure the Giants can bring!!!

Other Games of Interest:

Denver @ Atlanta

Oakland @ Miami

Honestly, I am more interested to see if Harrison/Steptoe/Sanders/Bell get more playing time and what they can do. I want to know what we have before the end of the season so we can fill in the gaps for next year.

Archived