THE BROWNS BOARD

NEW GUNS AND ROSES

Riffer X

I was fully prepared to HATE Chinese Democracy. I think Paxil Rose is the biggest douchebag on the planet, even bigger than Ben Frankenstein. 15 years to release this is just damn ridiculous. However, much to my surprise, I like this disc.

Aside from a few dogs (Shackler's Revenge, Scraped) these songs are pretty damn good. I wasn't spoiled by the deluge of demos that have leaked over the years so it's all new to me. I could probably have done without the over-processing and electronic beeps, boops and effects that Paxil seems to love, but all in all this is an album I keep spinning.

Although Slash and Izzy's signature guitar sound is missing, the guitar work here by Buckethead, Bumblefoot and others is actually pretty damn stellar. I'll give it a reluctant thumbs up.

Doug

This album isn't bad, although it shouldn't be after Axl Pose took half my lifetime to release it. I read a good article in Guitar World awhile back that broke down the absolute ridiculousness of this toolknob over the last 15 years. He's lucky he even got a record company to finally release it, he scared a bunch of them away and let's face it, releasing music today doesn't guarantee much return on your investment like it once did. The cost incurred and waste of making this album is beyond stupid, and another reason I consider Pose the number one jackass in rock n roll.

That being said, it's a decent album that is a bit eclectic. Typical of over production, however, is sometimes a bit too many things going on at once. That'll happen over the course of a century that it takes to keep tinkering with something.

If you're looking for badass hard rock, there's only a couple tunes like that, but it ain't bad for background music, and I mean that in a good way.

• 8 months later...
Been a big Guns N Roses for a long time, I have Chinese Democracy but haven't listened to it yet.

Get on it, it's not the best, but solid. You wonder this is what we waited for? But still good. Think about it, he wrote 1/2 this shit in the late 90's. Shit's changed.

• 3 weeks later...
Outside of hitting a major league pitch,being in a band is probably the next hardest thing to do.

Creative people walk a fine line between sane and insane and neither one are ever clear,then when you factor in ego and what is affectionately known as LSD{lead singers disease} its not an easy racket as most would think.

They have a choice Dan. I am one of those people who are "creative" and know what you are talking about, I just choose to be insane at this point.

Archived