THE BROWNS BOARD

An interesting year

Furnier

This has certainly been an interesting year in Rock 'N' Roll. If you just glanced at the names of the bands selling big this year, you might think it's 1988 rather than 2008 with quality new releases from the likes of: Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Loverboy, Metallica, AC/DC & Guns 'N' Roses.

I'm certainly not averse to newer bands, but you can't deny this has been a huge year for the dinosaurs. AC/DC is already approaching 3 million sold and that is a HUGE number in this era of Limewire, Soulseek, Torrents and the like. Metallica is near 2 Million and it looks like the new G 'N' R is gonna debut with about half a mill in it's first week.

I'm currently working on my "2008: The Year In Music" post in which I will expound on EVERY new release I bought this year. This has been IMO the best overall year for new tunes of this decade by a large margin.

Doug

I was listening to the radio the other day and the DJ said that AC/DC's "Back in Black" still sells approx. 9,000 copies a week. That album came out my freshman year of high school in 1980 !

The week Black Ice came out last month, Back In Black sold 21,000! Which was good enough for the 5th highest selling disc of that week...28 YEARS after it came out!

Back In Black came out the summer of my Graduation. I saw that tour at Cleveland Public Hall in October of '80. I'll never forget it. Killer freakin' show.

Doug

I've gotta rank Back in Black barely above Pyromania as the all time best hard rock album, it's just simply a classic through and through.

AS far as the new DC goes, I'm hugely let down by it. Perhaps I'll give it another try, but the riffs don't do it for me and the overall production I don't care for. The guitar sound is too flat and doesn't have the old school edge to it. I haven't read much about the production on this but they must have done something different.

Considering the amount of time and buildup for this it just simply doesn't do it for me.

Furns, I didn't know Loverboy had a new one.

What's it like?

BTW, you sound like a resident expert on tunes, I'm digging that.

New Loverboy (Just Gettin' Started) came out back in January. It quite literally sounds like it could have come out in 1982. If you liked Get Lucky and Lovin' Every Minute Of It, this disc is for you.

And yeah, I do follow music pretty fervently. It's been a lifelong obsession.

Doug

New Loverboy (Just Gettin' Started) came out back in January. It quite literally sounds like it could have come out in 1982. If you liked Get Lucky and Lovin' Every Minute Of It, this disc is for you.

And yeah, I do follow music pretty fervently. It's been a lifelong obsession.

Doug

I'm going to start catching up in a few weeks on ordering new tunes, so I'll be throwing stuff at you asking for opinions.

Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Loverboy, Metallica, AC/DC & Guns 'N' Roses.----Furns

Let's not leave out new ones from Iced Earth, Metal Church and Yngwie Malmsteen. Three killer albums there man, and I do mean killer from all the old schoolers.

Yngwie has Ripper singing on his and it's fantastic, some of Yngwie's best shredding with masterful tunes the likes of I Am a Viking. Tim's vocals are his best to date, and that includes what he did with Priest, Iced Earth, Winters Bane or his solo project Beyond Fear.

Metal Church's release is their best new album in awhile and all their new stuff has been good, so it's REALLY good. There are a couple of epic riffs on there and it's typical Metal Church tight and well written.

Iced Earth has once again put out phenomenal stuff. For my money, they are the best in the business at Power/Thrash metal, followed closely by Metal Church.

I'm kinda pumped to check out Loverboy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived