THE BROWNS BOARD

So long, Charlie...

Legacy Fan

Pretty sure the Motor City Bowl will be Weis' last as HC of the Irish. I wouldn't mind him sticking around in some sort of talent evaluation capacity. Michael Floyd (WR) has got more talent in his injured knee than Samardzija ever did. Golden Tate (holy crap), David Bruton, Allen, Aldridge, and sometimes Claussen can all play ball.

They just can't get their act together as a team.

I think Crum, Kuntz & Bruton can play on Sundays (or at least dress).

If it were any other team than Notre Dame, there is no way they would get a bowl invite. A 6-6 record, with a two game losing streak in which they lost to a terrible Syracuse team and didn't get a first down until the last play of the third quarter against USC.

Here's a look at how they got to six wins: Beating San Diego State (2-10), Michigan (3-9), Purdue (4-8), Stanford (5-7), Washington (0-11), and Navy (7-4). That's right, folks, six wins, one win against an opponent with a winning record, and a combined record of 21-50 (.296). Also, when's the last time he beat a ranked opponent? Has he beaten a ranked opponent?

And, in the most enjoyable irony, Coach Ten-Year-Extension-After-One-Season now has a worse winning percentage than Ty Willlingham. You remember Ty, the guy that ND scrapped their "at least five years for a coach" rule for, because the program was clearly headed in the wrong direction? Clearly Willingham wasn't a great coach, and his disastrous run at Washington has proven that. But once you scrap the rule, you have to apply the same standards to every other coach. For the first two years, Weis received hardly any criticism--if they won, he was a genius for coaching up Willingham's lousy recruits. If they lost, how could you expect him to win with Willingham's lousy recruits? There was even some of that last year--as if you couldn't expect the guy to recruit players and coach them into becoming leaders by their junior years.

In any event, I'm not going to turn this into a "Fire Weis!" post; after watching what happened at UT this year, I've seen how foolish that sort of thing can be--for one thing, even bad coaches have forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know. For another, even if you're a fan of the team, screaming for the coach's head is an exercise in futility; if they fire him, it's not because of anything you've done, and saying, "I said they should have done that a year ago!" when you're working the cart corral at Wal-Mart is embarassing both for you and the guy who's just trying to get in his car; if they don't you're getting yourself all worked up for nothing.

Where was I going with this post? Oh, right--no way Notre Dame should go to a bowl game. They probably will, because bowl organizers aren't stupid, and they know that they will get higher ratings (and higher ticket sales) if they invite Notre Dame as opposed to another undeserving yet bowl eligible team like Vanderbilt.

Incidentally, if you're still looking for that perfect gift for the Notre Dame fan on your enemies list (or just someone who enjoys irony), you might want to browse over to Amazon and buy them a copy of "The New Gold Standard: Charlie Weis and Notre Dame's Rise to Glory." New and used copies starting from $1.50! Here's the publisher's description:

>>The Gold Standard -- abandoned by most of the world in the 1930s -- has been an article of faith in South Bend, Indiana, for almost a century. Mere winning records and second-tier bowl games? Not good enough for Fighting Irish fans. No college football program has produced more national championships, more consensus All-Americans, and more Heisman Trophy winners than Notre Dame. But recently, not so much: no national championship since 1988 and a combined 11–13 record in the 2003-2004 seasons. So out went Tyrone Willingham, fired just three years into his tenure, the first Irish coach ever to be dismissed before the end of his original deal. In came Charlie Weis, a forty-eight-year-old Notre Dame grad with four Super Bowl rings as an assistant coach. Weis proved, in the space of a single season, to be a football maestro with a hard edge, a brilliant mind, an affinity for detail, and an uncanny sense of how to motivate people. He returned a program mired in the blahs to its rightful (and historic) place among college football’s elite. This book takes you inside a season unlike any other in Fighting Irish history -- and inside Weis’s master plan for restoring the Gold Standard in South Bend. <<

Dennis

Well, he's clearly earned it. I mean, a worse winning percentage than Davie or Willingham, back-to-back "largest margin of defeat" losses to USC, a loss to Navy last year, followed by one to Syracuse this year, one win against a team with a winning record...I mean, things are getting better every day. But as anyone who follows college football will tell you, you can't really judge a coach until the guys who red-shirted their freshman year are seniors.

Dennis

Archived