THE BROWNS BOARD

The nail in the proverbial coffin for DA.

TheBestPlayersPlay

Well, I hated seeing DA go out that way. While it's true that he is a terrible leader, and putting up 6 points will bring you a loss in the NFL each and every week, I liked the way the Browns had DA playing this week. Very safe. They kept DA from throwing downfield, which is the only way to get any type of consistency out of him. There seems to be a huge MYTH going around in Cleveland, and these forums in general. DA is great at throwing the deep ball. DA in fact, was the worst QB in the league at throwing deep this season. Yes, the ball looks pretty going through the air ....but the problem comes when the ball doesn't go where it's supposed to, or is thrown into double and triple coverage. In any case, I was feeling very positive about the direction of the draft pick we might get for DA by the end of the season, because of the way they were managing him .....but to no avail, DA couldn't make it through the game uninjured. I would be tempted to call him a porcelain doll, like Cumbergh so affectionately calls Quinn on a regular basis, but I have more class. I thought DA did a decent job today, while it's true he didn't put hardly any points on the board ....he also only gave the Colts one TD .....which is improvement, and I give credit where it is due. I really don't see us losing to the Bengals even with Dorsey at QB, so that gives us one more victory this season ....does that put us in the top 5 for draft picks?

Kudos to the Browns defense, who put together one of, if not the best effort this season, and also to BE who I think only had one drop.

Offensive line has not looked good all year IMO. Don't know what happened to Thomas, he just doesn't look the same. Maybe getting lazy with all the new found wealth. Pity.

Sorry I gotta disagree here, the O-Line played fine today. DA had some pressure put on him a few times by two of the better d linemen in the league, but you'll have that. Thomas got bull rushed one time back into DA, but that does not a bad LT make against a premier DL. Did you notice how slow DA is when dropping back away from center compared to Quinn? Oh, and did you also notice Fraley not allowing pressure up the middle like he did time and time again when Quinn was in there. Fraley got our franchise QB injured, and I am still pissed off about it. We need to replace him.

If I'm not mistaken, Thomas was the cause of the fumble which led to the TD by the Colts Defense?

Yeah i mean, one play he let him get through? Tough break seeing as he's one of the best DE playing. That play really didn't lose us the game, i think we settled for 3 FG attemps inside the redzone and made 2.

BE has 0 drops thank you.

Da didn't even get hit in the arm on that fumble. He got freaking pushed in the back and coughed it up. Pussy.

Harrison had like 2 carries. Jamal averaged about his usual 3 yards a carry.

Yep, Anderson is a pussy. Us real men hang out on message boards and call other people pussies.

Guest ATENEARS

Our deep passes are among the worst in the league because we don't know how to adjust to the ball and we've dropped too many of them.

The deep pass to Stallworth today wasn't nearly off-target as Stallworth made the end result look. When DA launched that puppy, Stallworth was breaking into the free, The ball was to his outside shoulder and "only where he could catch it", but Stallworth acted like he never saw it until it was on it's way down. By time he adjusted to the pass that was leading him away from the defender, he was so turned around and out of position that it looked like DA threw it into no-man's land.

This ain't a post excusing DA, but why exactly are we paying the recievers millions? So that they can catch a good portion of the passes that hit them on the money?

Must have been something in the air tonight because peyton Manning made the worst decisions of any QB on that field. The INT that McDonald grabbed in man-to-man was a horrible decision. Manning had a guy dopwn the middle wide open. He over threw another deep pass in the end zone and missed many open receivers.

DA just played it too safe ... and out play calling could be fit on one page.

Offensive line has not looked good all year IMO. Don't know what happened to Thomas, he just doesn't look the same. Maybe getting lazy with all the new found wealth. Pity.

I'm not so sure we were the WORST oline today in the absence of Jeff Saturday. I think Indy had more turnovers and we might have outrushed them. DA's pocket presence was bad on that play. Protect the freakin ball because the difference in the game was that play. If ANYTHING, I think holding an All Pro DE like Dwight Freeney to just that 1 hit on the QB with slippery footing is a decent job by Joe Thomas. I didn't really hear Freeney's name once until then.

Try to think if you've ever seen a QB on our team that has had more turnovers turning into opponent TDs. I'm not sure it's ALL bad luck etc. Teams game plan according to what his tendencies are. We couldn't throw to the right and that's not new so they overloaded the middle in the second half and Cross noted he suddenly went 8 of 17 as the reps became increasingly more important.

- Tom F.

It was a pretty poor pass to Stallworth..the ball landed out of bounds so that makes it kinda tough when he was about 3 yards behind the defender and if he hits him in stride its a TD.

However, the playcalling was embarrassing. run, run pass is pretty sad. When an idiot like me sitting here can tell what play is coming next, it's embarrassing play calling for an NFL offense.

I would like to smack DA in the head every time he throws an errant pass and then we see a close up of him smiling about it like he thinks it's funny that he has no clue where the ball is going when he throws it sometimes.

Anderson didn't play terrible, but he didn't play very good either.

This team sucks...when the offense shows up, the defense is non existant and now the last two weeks the defense played well and we score 6 fucking points.

I'll watch the tivo of the game next Sunday night after spending the day on the golf course. Sorry to you cold weather fans who don't have this option for next weekend.

Our deep passes are among the worst in the league because we don't know how to adjust to the ball and we've dropped too many of them.

The deep pass to Stallworth today wasn't nearly off-target as Stallworth made the end result look. When DA launched that puppy, Stallworth was breaking into the free, The ball was to his outside shoulder and "only where he could catch it", but Stallworth acted like he never saw it until it was on it's way down. By time he adjusted to the pass that was leading him away from the defender, he was so turned around and out of position that it looked like DA threw it into no-man's land.

This ain't a post excusing DA, but why exactly are we paying the recievers millions? So that they can catch a good portion of the passes that hit them on the money?

Must have been something in the air tonight because peyton Manning made the worst decisions of any QB on that field. The INT that McDonald grabbed in man-to-man was a horrible decision. Manning had a guy dopwn the middle wide open. He over threw another deep pass in the end zone and missed many open receivers.

DA just played it too safe ... and out play calling could be fit on one page.

Let me help you Stan.

DA played fine, the other 10 guys around him and the coaching staff failed.

You could have saved us all some time with that simple sentence. We already know where you stand on this. OL sucks. Receivers can't catch OR run routes and are the worst in the league at both. Winslow is a no heart pussy.

You actually even refer to there being something in the air that affected DA's passes. Seriously? You're unreal.

Guest Aloysius
If ANYTHING, I think holding an All Pro DE like Dwight Freeney to just that 1 hit on the QB with slippery footing is a decent job by Joe Thomas. I didn't really hear Freeney's name once until then.

I agree.

In a way, I think Freeney was as great a challenge for Thomas as Mario Williams was last week. Because of his height, Thomas sometimes struggles against short, stocky pass rushers. In the preseason of his rookie year, Elvis Dumervil (5'11", 260) got under him on back to back plays. And during the regular season last year, I remember Antwan Barnes (6'0 5/8", 245) giving him some trouble. So it's not surprising that Thomas was bull-rushed by Freeney (6'1" 268).

Thomas fared pretty well, but I hope he works on playing lower when he's facing guys like Freeney.

I agree.

In a way, I think Freeney was as great a challenge for Thomas as Mario Williams was last week. Because of his height, Thomas sometimes struggles against short, stocky pass rushers. In the preseason of his rookie year, Elvis Dumervil (5'11", 260) got under him on back to back plays. And during the regular season last year, I remember Antwan Barnes (6'0 5/8", 245) giving him some trouble. So it's not surprising that Thomas was bull-rushed by Freeney (6'1" 268).

Thomas fared pretty well, but I hope he works on playing lower when he's facing guys like Freeney.

JT has not played as well as he did last year, but that doesn't mean he's still not at a really high level. Fans will see 2 or 3 plays in a few weeks and determine a guy is playing terribly. I thought he did fairly well against Williams and Freeney beat him once today.

JT will occasionally allow someone with a a low center (James Harrison) get under him because his first priority is shutting off the speed from the outside.

He's still a great player and the least of this team's problems. Now Shaffer, that's another story. I'd like for him to be moved and free us up from his contract. Pretty sure he can be replaced with just about anybody for way less cost that are just as effective. Who knows, maybe Tucker can come back and give us another year at tackle, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would also look to upgrade Fraley.

Agreed, Fraley and Shaeffer need upgraded in a huge way. I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker is done, and if he isn't, will he really make it through a whole season? Add two more holes to the long list. :(

Oh, and did you also notice Fraley not allowing pressure up the middle like he did time and time again when Quinn was in there. Fraley got our franchise QB injured, and I am still pissed off about it. We need to replace him.

Wouldn't surprise me dude, Fraley didn't have anything nice to say about the QB change, quite the opposite in fact.

Guest Aloysius
JT has not played as well as he did last year, but that doesn't mean he's still not at a really high level. Fans will see 2 or 3 plays in a few weeks and determine a guy is playing terribly. I thought he did fairly well against Williams and Freeney beat him once today.

JT will occasionally allow someone with a a low center (James Harrison) get under him because his first priority is shutting off the speed from the outside.

He's still a great player and the least of this team's problems. Now Shaffer, that's another story. I'd like for him to be moved and free us up from his contract. Pretty sure he can be replaced with just about anybody for way less cost that are just as effective. Who knows, maybe Tucker can come back and give us another year at tackle, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would also look to upgrade Fraley.

istockphoto_1535790_i_agree.jpg

Archived