THE BROWNS BOARD

Chris Gamble re-signs with Carolina

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

This news broke on Friday, but I didn't hear about it until now:

Gamble’s contract one of largest ever for cornerback

On Black Friday, the Carolina Panthers spent millions.

Carolina re-signed prospective free agent cornerback Chris Gamble to a six-year, $53 million contract on Friday that includes $23 million worth of guaranteed bonuses. The deal is one of the richest ever given to a cornerback and it will not only help Carolina this season, but this offseason as well.

Carolina would like to re-sign both defensive end Julius Peppers and offensive tackle Jordan Gross. If the Panthers can get one of those players signed, they always can slap their franchise tag on the other.

But now they will not have to worry about Gamble, who has emerged as one of the game’s top young cornerbacks. He is signed, sealed and delivered. On Black Friday no less, though Carolina did not get much of a discount.

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, it's much more than I expected. If we had given him that much money this offseason, I would have been pissed.

But Gamble probably was the only starting-caliber CB on the FA market. Nmadi Asomugha will be a free agent, but Al Davis is going to fight tooth and nail to keep him Oakland (reports are that Nmadi wants to leave).

Dunta Robinson will also be available, but he's got some serious durability issues.

So it's a good thing that BMac's starting to play well, because we'd probably have to go CB in Round 1 to get a guy who could replace him immediately.

The signing does look ever-so-slightly more palatable considering the dearth of FA CBs, Alo.

There is good news (I am not kidding)...we get Holly back. Not something to be overlooked.

Archived