THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Slaton

neomogo

Steve Slaton just tore up the Jags on MNF. Some say he couldn't handle the "load" I would say by tonight's performance and over the course of the season Slaton has been superb.

I can't help but see the similarities between Slaton and Harrison. Then again Harrison has been talked about at length over the course of this season and his need to get more involved. Watching Slaton should send a message to the Browns coaching staff, but they are too busy looking for new jobs.

Mike

Great post Mike.

Slaton had a crummy year at WVU before he got drafted. Pat White carried the team that year. Subsequently, Slaton slid to day two, when he was all but annointed a 1st rounder prior to that season. White just became the all-time leading rusher for QB's in D1 this season, but he's not having the phenomenal season he had a year ago. He could easily be one of the fastest guys in the league, and is tough as nails.

I don't think we have a 3rd rd pick, but if he's available in 4, we just found our replacement for Stallworthless.

Slaton is outstanding. What a game he had.

In his previous year, he and Pat White were outstanding, and it was awesome to watch.

I was hoping we'd have a chance at Slaton, but if we got Pat White, what an excellent FOOTBALL PLAYER we could use

in different ways.

Of course, this coaching staff would play him for 1 or 2 plays his third year.

This coaching staff has no nads to let talented players play until the choice may happen to be made for them.

I can't take anymore of this "what are we trying to accomplish" defense, and "usually sleepy-bye defense".

Play aggressive or don't play. Why play the Colts and Giants, so aggressive, and then sit back in a loose zone

that can't stop the simplest pass, against several other teams?

I'm STILL peeved about that field goal with 2 minutes left and two TD's behind, I guess....*&$&^%(*%

Slaton is outstanding. What a game he had.

In his previous year, he and Pat White were outstanding, and it was awesome to watch.

I was hoping we'd have a chance at Slaton, but if we got Pat White, what an excellent FOOTBALL PLAYER we could use

in different ways.

Of course, this coaching staff would play him for 1 or 2 plays his third year.

This coaching staff has no nads to let talented players play until the choice may happen to be made for them.

I can't take anymore of this "what are we trying to accomplish" defense, and "usually sleepy-bye defense".

Play aggressive or don't play. Why play the Colts and Giants, so aggressive, and then sit back in a loose zone

that can't stop the simplest pass, against several other teams?

I'm STILL peeved about that field goal with 2 minutes left and two TD's behind, I guess....*&$&^%(*%

I must say i think Slaton is doing very well and will get better as that team grows ...but the browns pretty much kep him quiet ..same goes for joseph addai...weird?

I find it comical that the Browns have had a Slaton type guy since 2006. Slaton was never given a chance coming into the draft of being an every down back....I guess everyone was wrong except the Texans (same argument against Harrison). Speaking of the Texans is that not a team on the verge? They have built an impressive front on D. If Schaub continues to improve and stay healthy watch out.

The other thing about the Browns that chaps my ass is not using the 2 head running back approach. We could have gutted out a few more wins, but no this team's identity was to throw throw throw. I see the Giants with Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw #1 in the league. Eli has had to win very few games with his arm.

Overall, terrible game planning as it pertains to the running game and especially the use of Harrison.

Great post Mike.

Slaton had a crummy year at WVU before he got drafted. Pat White carried the team that year. Subsequently, Slaton slid to day two, when he was all but annointed a 1st rounder prior to that season. White just became the all-time leading rusher for QB's in D1 this season, but he's not having the phenomenal season he had a year ago. He could easily be one of the fastest guys in the league, and is tough as nails.

I don't think we have a 3rd rd pick, but if he's available in 4, we just found our replacement for Stallworthless.

A crummy year before getting drafted? :wacko: ... not quite sure what planet you are from or what college season at west virginia you are referring to. slaton was a heisman candidate and STUD in college, all 3 years.

carries yds ave long tds rec yds ave long t ds

2007 211 1051 5.0 58 17 26 350 13.5 51 1

Saw this on PFT today:

TEXANS HAVE SOMETHING EVEN BETTER THAN BUSH

Posted by Mike Florio on December 2, 2008, 9:18 a.m.

When folks discuss the wise-in-hindsight decision of the Houston Texans to pass on running back Reggie Bush, the player whose name always gets mentioned is defensive end Marion Williams.

The more appropriate guy to invoke is Steve Slaton. Because he’s looking to be far better than Bush.

Two years ago, a scout told me after watching practice at West Virginia University that the then-sophomore Slaton likely will be at the next level a poor-man’s version of the then-Saints rookie Bush.

Last year, however, Slaton’s stock fell. I attended at least five WVU home games and watched the rest of them on television, and it appeared that Slaton had become tentative, possibly fearful that he’d suffer a Michael Bush-style injury and squander his NFL payday.

As a result of a so-so final season, Slaton slid to bottom of the third round. And the team that passed on Bush with the No. 1 overall pick in 2006 grabbed Slaton with selection No. 89 in 2008.

Already, Slaton has become the superior NFL running back.

In Week Thirteen, Bush had three carries for zero yards, five receptions for 32, and two punt returns for minus-16.

Slaton, on Monday night against the Jags, carried 21 times for 130 yards and two touchdowns. He also caught two passes for 52 yards, one of which nearly resulted in another score.

The reality? Bush and his 3-point-something yards-per-carry average will continue to be a glorified third-down back. Slaton is blossoming into the every-down option that no one every dreamed he’d be at this level.

Otherwise, he would have been picked a lot higher, even in a draft class full of good tailbacks.

A crummy year before getting drafted? :wacko: ... not quite sure what planet you are from or what college season at west virginia you are referring to. slaton was a heisman candidate and STUD in college, all 3 years.

2007 211 1051 5.0 58 17 26 350 13.5 51 1

Compared to 2006, yes a "crummy year"

2006 248 1744 7.0 65 16 27 360 13.3 67 2

So, as somebody who actually watched him play (like Florio) as opposed to combing through the stat lines you can draw that conclusion. Not to mention White had about 350 more yards on the ground than Slaton did in 2007 (not to mention another 1700+ through the air), further illustrates my point that he wasnt the same back in 2007 that he was in 2006/05.

Guest Aloysius

And by the end of the season, Slaton had pretty much lost his starting job to Noel Devine.

Florio & Leg are right: Slaton had a very disappointing junior year. The letdown was so big that some people were wondering if he had permanently lost his speed.

Apparently, he hasn't.

And Harrison out ran both of Bush and Slaton in his last year.

Crennel is a f--ktard.

OMG.

The sheer idiocy of our coaching staff BLOWS my FREAKIN MIND! (and thanks to Flugel, I dont feel like saying FREAKIN!!)

Archived