THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Free Agent Spending

Rocky20

I was one of the guys who found your board last summer and claimed that the Browns were making a big mistake signing the free agents that you signed - All of you disagreed.

The Steelers shelled out around $10 million last March for Moore, starting center Justin Hartwig and special teams extraordinaire Keyaron Fox. The Browns gave wide receiver Donte Stallworth $10 million in guaranteed money as part of the spending spree they embarked on last March.

Stallworth's numbers this season: 13 receptions for 126 yards and a touchdown in seven games.

See Atlanta - that is the way you should try and rebuild - not the Savage way.

As usual...people look at the TOTAL numbers instead of looking at what the contract REALLY does. Here is Stallworth's contract:

3/1/2008: Signed a seven-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $10 million in guarantees. 2008: $605,000, 2009: $745,000 (+ $4.75 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: $2.775 million, 2012: $4.55 million, 2013: $5.65 million, 2014: $5.95 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charges: Unknown (2008), $6.4 million (2009).

Basically he got $605k this year and is due a roster bonus in March. If we don't pay it...he is gone and doesn't cost us a dime more. He was a one year cheap rental with an option to buy....and I doubt we buy!!!

These are the kinds of contracts the Browns are giving out. PROVE IT contracts. They gave one to DA as well....and now DA and Stallworth are gone (they failed to prove it).

Missing the point as usual.....Browns go for the big splash, Steelers are looking for small pieces to solve the puzzle.

Your logic is wrong.

Actually, YOUR logic is wrong.

The Browns were starting from scratch only 9 years ago. They had ZERO pieces to the puzzle...while the Steelers have had consistant player additions and development all along.

Add into that the fact the Browns have changed systems at least 4 times since their inception...and they need to get more than a 'little piece' to fit in. They need to get the ENTIRE PUZZLE.

I am willing to be that THIS YEAR...we don't go after big FA players....becuase we finally have the base team in place.

It is not the wrong philosophy...it is the lack of a base team that REQUIRED we go for more than a little tweak here and there.

It is nearly impossible to look at the Browns and any of the TOP teams and compare....because we didn't even have a base team and they were just filling holes.

Actually, YOUR logic is wrong.

The Browns were starting from scratch only 9 years ago. They had ZERO pieces to the puzzle...while the Steelers have had consistant player additions and development all along.

Add into that the fact the Browns have changed systems at least 4 times since their inception...and they need to get more than a 'little piece' to fit in. They need to get the ENTIRE PUZZLE.

I am willing to be that THIS YEAR...we don't go after big FA players....becuase we finally have the base team in place.

It is not the wrong philosophy...it is the lack of a base team that REQUIRED we go for more than a little tweak here and there.

It is nearly impossible to look at the Browns and any of the TOP teams and compare....because we didn't even have a base team and they were just filling holes.

Exactly. Great post. I still don't get the psychology of trolling opponents boards, especially when the approach is acerbic and your team is better. I have no desire to look at the Bengals boards for example, especially for "I'm right" or "I told you so" posts.

I get lurking, but not trolling.

I was one of the guys who found your board last summer and claimed that the Browns were making a big mistake signing the free agents that you signed - All of you disagreed.

See Atlanta - that is the way you should try and rebuild - not the Savage way.

Atlanta signed a FA RB to a $35 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.

Atlanta signed a FA RB to a $35 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.

Other than the Turner signing, and bringing John Abraham in a few years ago, Rocky does have a point...ATL is a team built almost entirely through the draft.

Other than the Turner signing, and bringing John Abraham in a few years ago, Rocky does have a point...ATL is a team built almost entirely through the draft.

and despite not having to go through expansion....are currently working on only their 3rd winning season since 1999!

Guest ATENEARS

You told us Shaun Rogers would be a lazy ass of a bust too, right?

How did that prediction work out?

Savage knows the cap....knows how to "rent" players. I liked everyone of his signings. He got burned by Bentley and Baxter due to injury. He got DA off the waiver wire and signed him to a modest 1 year deal in hindsight. He played the cards right after the 06 season heading into the 07 draft. Thomas, Quinn, Wright and McDonald in the first 5 rounds...Brilliant.

Heading into 08 got everyone excited by being aggressive...Rogers, Williams, and Stallworth. I like a guy willing to win now and put it all on the line. Williams doesn't fit in a 3 / 4 scheme....Rogers is awesome and Stallworth is not durable. Hard to say what Bell and Rucker will turn out to be. Hall looks like a real talent in the 7th round.

We're in good shape heading into 09 assuming we can get a solid head coach and staff that works with the existing talent and not having to start all over.

Mike

You told us Shaun Rogers would be a lazy ass of a bust too, right?

How did that prediction work out?

You are right - good point. Like I have always said, I would be hear to eat my words and face you every time (unlike most of you guys who ignore when I am correct - Atenears).

I was wrong about Rodgers. He has shown up and played to his potential (even though I think you guys use him too much - he is still a fat f.uck and needs to be rotated more often to be effective ala Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke).

So Atenears - In the summer, I told you to look south to Atlanta as a prime example of how to rebuild a football team - You scoffed and laughed at me - you told me the Falcons would be terrible this year and they had no idea what they are doing..........I am waiting......Just one of many correct predictions I made about the Browns, the Steelers, and the rest of the NFL.

Guest ATENEARS
So Atenears - In the summer, I told you to look south to Atlanta as a prime example of how to rebuild a football team - You scoffed and laughed at me - you told me the Falcons would be terrible this year and they had no idea what they are doing..........I am waiting......Just one of many correct predictions I made about the Browns, the Steelers, and the rest of the NFL.

The Falcons have beaten teams with a combined record of 35-61. They have faced only 5 teams with above .500 records and are 1-4 in those matchups. Just exactly what path should we be following? Insert new QB that no one has a read on yet and play the leagues easiest schedule? We did that in 2007, and finished just as the Falcons will.

If you are hinting that we need a running game, I'm all with ya, but don't go acting like Matt Ryan is all that already because he's had a hell of a ground game to hide behind. Michael Turner just eclipsed 1200 yards already out of a team whopping 1800 yards through a dozen games.

In contest with Matt Ryan facing decent teams he's thrown 2-TD to 5-INT's with a passer rating of 64.9.

He will be next years goat ... stick around.

How many people after the first 6 games this year were saying "Look how great Trent Edwards is!!! We should have a guy like him!!!"

Now everyone that is a Buffalo fan is asking "what happened to Trent", like some Browns fans wonder what happened to DA.

Its amazing how quickly you can go from hero to zero in the nfl. you do see it alot. once the d's get a good read on a qb thats when you find out who the real qb's are. can they adapt and keep making the big plays or do they throw that same tired bomb into the corner and hope the wr comes down with it.

as far as free agents for this year, if you look at how the browns players were treated by the organization and the fans why would anyone with any talent want to come in here.

Guest ATENEARS

You gotta get on a roll and then all FA's seem to workout, all draft picks look good.

Pittsburgh is on a roll, Ohio State are on a roll. The Browns are not on the roll, and the University of Michigan just rolled past'em, heading downhill.

It starts with having an attitude and hurger/desire to win. It's gotta be set from the top and reach the guys who haven't even been brought in yet.

We seem to have a nitch for bringing in guys and lulling them to sleep. It's been time to throw a few chairs and refuse to accept it any longer. I think Savage still has the door open to be the guy who can pull the trigger. I like Crennel as a person, but this nice guy crap isn't my style.

Cowher used to have that fire, but I'm concerned that it may not be there anymore. Schottenheimer could be a real dick and many players did not like him, but I like that, just not necessarily him.

Man, somethings gotta give. Here's my Wish List for Santa:

Dear Santa,

Please provide us Browns Fans with some sweet-ass cheerleaders. Distract our drunk asses for a year, even 18 months, with bombshells everywhere. Then as soon as the lust wears off, have us a slobberknocking blue collar football teams that's lead by Line Backers and a Running game. Put any sissy pretty boy QB you want back there, but let us pound the ball deep into January on the Lake front with a couple victories in February down in those sissy Southern States.

P.S.: For a stocking stuffer, toss in a pair of them Chear squads panties and some plastic shot glasses for the tailgate parties.

Love,

Atenears

NO NO NO!!! The Browns way DOES NOT WORK! The most stupid line in this post is something about the Browns only having 9 years to get it together. LOSER MENTALITY!

The Brown are losers because they dive into free agency instead of building through the draft. And when they draft they take players with big names rather than those that fit the team. I've said it time and time again. Big money free agents don't make a team good. A solid scouting corp, smart drafting, a specific way to play the game, and adding mid-level/cost free agents is the way.

I respect the Steelers but follow the Browns. But just look at the drafting over the past 5 years of both teams and tell me who did better. Then look at the free agent signings, and see who did better. Who got the bigger names, and spent more, but who got the most out of the players?

Agrue all you want that the Browns know how to put a team together. The proof is plain to me. They don't.

Hell, they've only had 9 years to build this team. HA!

Dear Santa,

Please provide us Browns Fans with some sweet-ass cheerleaders. Distract our drunk asses for a year, even 18 months, with bombshells everywhere. Then as soon as the lust wears off, have us a slobberknocking blue collar football teams that's lead by Line Backers and a Running game. Put any sissy pretty boy QB you want back there, but let us pound the ball deep into January on the Lake front with a couple victories in February down in those sissy Southern States.

P.S.: For a stocking stuffer, toss in a pair of them Chear squads panties and some plastic shot glasses for the tailgate parties.

Love,

Atenears

:lol::lol:

Nice one!!!!!!!!!!

so wtf does rocky want, a cookie...a hug? Obviously he wants something since he's here preaching on a browns thread and he's not a browns fan. I am guessing that early in life he didn't get enough attention and now is trying to overcome that thru the world wide web.

I am guessing that early in life he didn't get enough attention and now is trying to overcome that thru the world wide web.

Stu - Rim,

Man, I have been waiting for this type of analysis.....you have solved my problem! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! Let me know where to send you a check - you have missed your calling.

Archived