THE BROWNS BOARD

Local Media drags down Fan Base

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

I like Donovan, Dieken, and Rutigliano ... but the rest of this town's media is a two-bit whore. Bernie gets an effort for trying, but he'd be better in print as long as he didn't slur his typing as he does his words.

There are too many web reporters out there too that start shit for this wide spread fan base to absorb on a daily basis.

It has become a circus in this town, and it started twenty years ago:

Late 80's the media fueled the fans frenzy in ousting Schottenheimer out of town, for losing in the AFC Championship game(s).

Early 90's the media frustrated because Head Coach Bill Bellichick shit-canned their cozy media room (complete with daily doughnuts and coffee) in the Berea complex. The local media turned on Bill B because, like Crennel, he kept the locker room private, leading to speculation by media which spread to fans and a complete disconnect took place (with the canning of Bernie Kosar being the poster child).

The Move - even the local media couldn't screw this up, as it was a negative in it's own right. However, they did stick with the Raven team (and their inside contacts) much way too long, even ran full/front page spreads about the building of the Ravens franchise well after the Browns returned. Even an almost lifesize picture of Art Modell kissing the Lombardi Throphy.

1996-1999 - It was the fans on the Internet that lead the way in the reporting of the Expansion or Relocation trade-offs and debate, the ownership campiagn, the exspansion draft, college draft, etc...

1999 - Now the fans completely running the asylum, after still reeling over winning a victory using fax machines and now think they call the shots; They call for Tim Couch to take the reins just one game into his career as the backup. This comes after the Browns first draft Tim Couch thinking that the team needed a 'face' to sell to the fan base and completly miscalculated the long term effects it would cause.

2008 - The fans feeling they deserve something for all they have been through and begin to view death coming closer than ever seeing a Super Bowl seasons, want their guy again and this time it's Brady Quinn, Bill Cowher and a new owner who will be seen at games and as one of them. The media slithers to fuel the underground movement instead of selling the mothership.

What this fan base needs is an owner to step in and take charge and take this team back from a public opinion poll. An owner that will cut the balls off of any mis-reporting of the team, bar entire networks or papers for negative selling. An owner that will market his team by it's play on the field and lead by example.

2008 - The fans feeling they deserve something for all they have been through and begin to view death coming closer than ever seeing a Super Bowl seasons, want their guy again and this time it's Brady Quinn, Bill Cowher and a new owner who will be seen at games and as one of them. The media slithers to fuel the underground movement instead of selling the mothership.

Romeo said in his press conference last week "The whole time Derek was the starter, you guys hated him"

I noticed this in training camp in 2007. Grossi ran a headline that stated Anderson was going to get cut. He reported his opinion as fact that Anderson was the #4 QB.

Turned out he was #1A with Frye on a short leash.

Donovan is more brown nosed than grossi clevelands whole sports media is a joke thats tied to getting interviews with the tribe the browns and the cavs and helping those teams successfully in keeping fans tamed instead of breaking real news that may cause fan rabidness...

Anyone who thinks lerner is a good owner is blind and only afraid he may pull the browns out of cleveland if his soccer loving feelings get hurt honestly i would rather not have the browns if they arent the browns and lerners browns are currently not nor ever have been the browns we grew up rooting for...the fans are so sissy now whens the last time you threw a battery at oppossing players in the dawg pound im suprized the lerner patrol wasnt arresting fans for having banners that say "cowher power" and romeo must go..lol

Bruce drennan is the best brownstown has to offer...all others only jump on the bandwagon once its rolling and cant be stopped...pathetic.

What this fan base needs is an owner to step in and take charge and take this team back from a public opinion poll. An owner that will cut the balls off of any mis-reporting of the team, bar entire networks or papers for negative selling. An owner that will market his team by it's play on the field and lead by example.

Do you seriously want media controlled by the team? Just having kiss-ass media blowing sunshine up your ass when the Browns get clobbered 51-0 at home? Really? I thought Munch was bad enough, defending every single player and the team every week and hanging up on callers. I love reading Pluto's columns because he tells it like it is. I dont want to hear token bullshit positives about the Browns players saving a puppy or getting along great in the training room like you read every week on ClevelandBrowns.com. I'm a smart enough person that I can see if the team is in turmoil and I will completely tune out any bullshit team-skewed media as exactly that - BS. I want to hear what is wrong with this team so it can be fixed.

Guest ATENEARS
Do you seriously want media controlled by the team? Just having kiss-ass media blowing sunshine up your ass when the Browns get clobbered 51-0 at home? Really?

Nope, that's not what I said. I'd like the media to lead, not follow (an ambulance) and fuel.

The media is always looking for opinions more than stories. And if ever their prediction goes wrong they do an about U-turn in their story and pretend like they never reported it ... and if they are right they say atleast 50 time - "we reported this as early as" or "we were the first to exclusively report" !

Archived