WPB Dawg Fan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playground Legends Official Cleveland Browns Mock Draft

Round 1: Rey Maualuga

306220971_52160ae780_o.jpg

Highlights

Round 2: Phil Loadholt (Right Tackle, Oklahoma)

Phil%20Loadholt.jpg

Round 3: Best Corner Available

Round 4: Rashad Jennings (Runningback, Liberty)

38541.jpg

Highlights

Round 5: Will Davis (DE, llinois)

davis.jpg

Round 6: Lovon Ponder (SS, Miami)

580082m.jpg

Round 7: some awesome Phil savage Prospect (round 7 is his best one so far, I think Hall and Mcdonald came in round 7)

RD 1: Curry

RD 2: Chung

I also like Spikes at LB and Moore at S. They are all around players who have versatility to play more than one scheme....and even if they lack that ONE huge talent...they also lack that ONE glaring weakness.

We currently don't have a RD 3 pick...but I fully expect us to trade DA and, depending on how Rucker does, maybe K2....so I wouldn't be surprised to have a low 1st and a 3rd in addition to those picks.

Guest Aloysius

Playground, we don't have a 5th Round pick; we traded it way so that we could draft Russ's favorite player, Paul Hubbard.

EDIT: We don't have a 3rd (Martin Rucker) or 7th (Travis Daniels) either.

Guest Aloysius
I also like Spikes at LB and Moore at S. They are all around players who have versatility to play more than one scheme....and even if they lack that ONE huge talent...they also lack that ONE glaring weakness.

Not sure about Moore; I'm inclined to agree with Brent "SOBO" Sobleski's assessment:

When I look at Taylor Mays, I see a safety with the size and attitude of a LB. When I watch William Moore, I see a LB trying to play safety. Great in the box, but I question his overall coverage ability in centerfield.

Round 5: Will Davis (DE, llinois)

davis.jpg

Davis looks like he's struggling with SU's poor little Max Meisel there, all 5'4" and 145 lbs. of him.

PS How shitty does your program have to be when a 5'4" 145 guy gets some PT???

Not sure about Moore; I'm inclined to agree with Brent "SOBO" Soblieski's assessment:

Talking safety, no mention of Myron Rolle? The guy's a frickin' Rhodes Scholar too...how impressive is that? (though if he goes to Oxford he won't be in the NFL for a couple of years.)

Guest Aloysius

Here's a quick Browns mock:

Round 1: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

NFL Comparison: Keith Bulluck

016132060.jpg

Round 2: Alex Mack, C, California

NFL Comparison: Grey Ruegamer

md_gbmp0916063424.jpg

Round 4: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas

NFL Comparison: Brandon Stokley

482713.jpg

Round 6: Demonte' Bolden, DT, Tennessee

NFL Comparison: Rodrique Wright

2007_04_DemonteBolden.jpg

taylor mays in the first! if we're picking around 7-12, he should be there for us to snatch. hits like an LB, runs like a fast, fast safety and has decent ball skills. his 40 times so far haven't matched his football speed, which is probably good. it's better that a guy be able to play with pads on than sprint on astroturf with them off.

it's easier to find impact LBs in middle rounds than it is to find impact safeties. there are just more linebackers with similar physical tools that coaching staffs can mold into the player they want than there are safeties with the kind of physical skills that mays has.

his flexibility would be a nightmare for offensive coordinators to scheme for. if we're able to have both him and jones in our secondary, it would give us two excellent safeties who can both blitz and cover while still allowing us the second round to address our glaring needs at LB. if jones is gone, it's even more reason to target mays.

let's also hope we can get a fourth for DA, though it's unlikely. we need to get some depth out of this draft without trading the subsequent draft's picks away to get it.

i'm on the record as not liking maualuga. i've watched USC a few times this year and the guys that have shown up are cushing and mays. rey's made a couple plays, blown a couple guys up, but he disappears too much and is often out of position. i think he'll be a workout warrior who doesn't transition those numbers to the field, like vernon gholston, vernon davis and manny lawson.

i want to see clint sintim (OLB, virginia) play before i'm completely sold on him for us, but the reviews i've read are favorable: has played in the 3-4, has decent enough speed and bulk, and has consistently gotten to the QB in college. he's definitely someone we should keep our eyes on.

@ aloy: do you really think mack's gonna last until the second? i've seen him in a lot of places being listed as a first, which struck me as high for a center, but that's where some people have him pegged.

If Oakland picks before us, I think Mays is already off the board.

I don't think so, unless they are SO down on Michael Huff that they want to permanently replace him, as they picked him #7 2 years ago but have benched him this season, and just gave huge FA $ to Gibril Wilson...

Guest Aloysius
@ aloy: do you really think mack's gonna last until the second? i've seen him in a lot of places being listed as a first, which struck me as high for a center, but that's where some people have him pegged.

Cal's run game has struggled as of late, which has hurt his rep a little bit. nfldraftscout currently has him projected as a Round 2-3 guy.

A lot will depend on how he looks during Senior Bowl week.

Guest Aloysius
I don't think so, unless they are SO down on Michael Huff that they want to permanently replace him, as they picked him #7 2 years ago but have benched him this season, and just gave huge FA $ to Gibril Wilson...

So you're saying that Al Davis would have to be crazy to pick him?

My point exactly.

Guest Aloysius

By the way, it does sound like the Raiders are close to giving up on Huff:

The Raiders decided to bench FS Michael Huff in favor of backup Hiram Eugene, who will get the start for Oakland in Week Seven. Sources in Oakland say Huff is not being physical enough and he has not shown any improvement in his third season, even though the team moved him from strong to free safety, where it was believed he would be a more natural fit. Insiders would not call the decision to demote Huff a permanent one, but he’s on the cusp of falling into the category of draft busts. Drafted seventh overall in 2006, Huff has been a major disappointment after entering the league with high expectations. Eugene had an opportunity to start five games late last season when he replaced Stuart Schweigert, but he didn’t do enough to convince coaches he should hold on to the job heading into this season.

davis picking mays is always a worry. he's gone DB in the first five times since 2001, with the majority of those picks being because he thinks fast guys are always the answer. let's hope he acknowledges one of his more glaring needs and picks michael crabtree or a d-lineman with actual talent.

mays is a prototype al davis pick, though. at the same time, the raiders are only one win behind us and could still improve whereas we've sunk into a deep, deep valley.

Guest Aloysius

Aaron Curry's great & Everette Brown's pretty good, but neither of them is ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

Who is? This guy:

herzlich.JPG

Boston College junior linebacker Mark Herzlich has been named Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year, the league's sports media organization, ACSMA, announced Wednesday. Herzlich, a finalist for the Butkus Award, was named to the All-ACC first team earlier this week. On a team that leads the nation in interceptions, Herzlich leads the team with six picks and has returned two of those for touchdowns. He leads the Eagles in tackles with 98 (74 solos) and has notched 10 tackles-for-loss (35 yards), three sacks (14 yards), seven pass break-ups and two forced fumbles. Herzlich will receive his award at Friday's ACC Coaches' Luncheon in Tampa, a day before the Eagles take on Virginia Tech in the Dr. Pepper ACC Championship Game at Raymond James Stadium.

Herzlich says that he'll be staying at BC for his senior year. But if he changes his mind, he'll be one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects in this year's draft.

Guest Aloysius

And if the Browns end up drafting Herzlich, Stan's gotta recruit his dad.

From a NY Times interview of Herzlich:

I heard [your dad] is a message board poster?

Yes, he is a message board poster.

Is that good or bad?

To be honest, it’s good. It’s funny because I was a little nervous in the beginning for myself and the coaches. Ryan Mattison is one of our graduate assistants who does a lot with recruiting. He actually came up to me the other day, and my dad’s user name is herzylax22, and called me “Herzylax.” I was like, ‘Huh, where did you get that from.’ And he said, ‘Your dad’s posts.’ He said, ‘It’s really great to have him on there because he keeps everyone in perspective.’ He keeps everything under wraps that needs to be under wraps and he defends Boston College when need be. He enjoys it a lot. You can ask the guys on the team, he’s a die-hard B.C. fan. He loves it. He tailgates before every game. He’s been to every game except the Florida State game my freshman year. He loves it.

Switching gears for a second - Is Joe J. coming back next year? Might change our WR needs a bit, at least temporarily (in a draft where we are currently missing picks in rds 3, 5, & 7).

Also, getting some looks at Rucker is a necessity, and might change my mind about letting Winslow go for draft picks (right now I'm against). Also, Joey J.'s healthy hands on the field would play a role in that.

JJ's done after next year, so we need to look into replacing him. his coming back for one more year doesn't change our situation that much. we still need a reliable, sure-handed receiver who's willing to go over the middle and can block downfield. JJ is a stopgap solution at best.

rucker could be that guy, but we haven't seen him play enough. he's not a great blocker, but his speed and size should be comparable to JJ. we should give him a shot on the outside in the offseason and see how he does.

either way, we shouldn't go WR in this draft. we have too many other needs and already have developmental WRs. plus, it'll be good to see what steptoe can do with another offseason under his belt. he made dramatic strides coming into this year and looks like a reliable slot guy.

Guest Aloysius

A lot depends on whether we trade Winslow.

If we do, then we'll probably have two additional picks, giving us the luxury of expending one on a receiver (probably on Day Two).

And that would also mean that Rucker would assume more TE responsibilities, which leaves us in need of another receiver. That could be Joe J with a pay cut ($3.562 M is a lot for a veteran on his last legs), or it could be a medium-level FA option.

But JewDago's right: we shouldn't give up on Steptoe, who could turn into our own version of Lance Moore. And it'd be nice to see Paul Hubbard or Lance Leggett show enough to make our 53 man roster next season.

A lot depends on whether we trade Winslow.

If we do, then we'll probably have two additional picks, giving us the luxury of expending one on a receiver (probably on Day Two).

And that would also mean that Rucker would assume more TE responsibilities, which leaves us in need of another receiver. That could be Joe J with a pay cut ($3.562 M is a lot for a veteran on his last legs), or it could be a medium-level FA option.

But JewDago's right: we shouldn't give up on Steptoe, who could turn into our own version of Lance Moore. And it'd be nice to see Paul Hubbard or Lance Leggett show enough to make our 53 man roster next season.

Al, please stop. You know how I feel about that guy LOL.

I think we should institute a moratorium on anybody even mentioning him as a future player.

Leggett shows a little, but needs to get stronger.

Steptoe is what he is, which is a dependable guy out of the slot with steady hands. He should not be playing much at this point though, total product of the lack of depth we have there. I still think Kevvy Kasp hurt us, they were really planning on him taking JJ's spot.

Guest Aloysius

Ha. Hubbs is the future of the franchise, Russ. We're going to go with a bunch of long-striding gazelles who can jump really high but always juggle the ball. Our QB's completion percentage will be in the mid-30's, but we'll get a lot of "great" catches on SportsCenter.

About Steptoe: though I think he deserves to compete for the slot receiver job next year, it definitely was a crime for him to be starting outside early this season.

To me, that was one of the most grievous examples of Savage swinging for the fences this offseason. Despite knowing that JJ may not be able to play, he signed a very flashy but not very durable receiver, hoping that he'd make our offense dominant.

Instead, the Human Hamstring Pull got hurt in training camp, and we ended up starting the season without a legitimate #2 receiver.

Not a good move...

while stallworth hasn't worked out at all, you have to look at the crop of free agent wide receivers this past year. who else was there that would have made any significant contribution?

bernard berrian also went for a ton of money. marty booker kinda sucks and is also old. isaac bruce is on his last legs. reche caldwell? no. drew carter, devery henderson and keary colbert are the same shitty player. dj hackett is solid but can't stay on the field. mushin muhammad is ancient. moss was never leaving new england. ernest wilford was frighteningly overpaid. there really weren't any great options.

however, two names stick out to me: justin gage and justin mccariens. neither is spectacular, but both are serviceable. they're number two guys who are, to the best of my knowledge, fairly durable. however, hindsight blah blah blah.

still no need to go WR in this draft, though. even if there's no clear-cut number two on the team right now, i'd rank our needs as OLB, ILB, OL, CB, S, DL, RB, WR then TE. plus, in the coming FA, there's housh, anquan boldin and shaun mcdonald, so we'll have options once we cut stallworth.

Guest Aloysius
however, two names stick out to me: justin gage and justin mccariens. neither is spectacular, but both are serviceable. they're number two guys who are, to the best of my knowledge, fairly durable. however, hindsight blah blah blah.

Toop & I had a similar discussion a while back. IIRC, Bryant Johnson and Jabari Gaffney were a few other names mentioned.

In the spring, I preferred signing Gaffney & drafting a receiver. Gaffney's not a world-beater by any means, but I thought he was good enough to be JJ's backup (& possible replacement).

We probably could have gotten 40 catches out of him, and he would've come cheap (he's making $1.275M this year).

He'll be an FA after this season. I wouldn't mind us bringing him in for depth.

Archived