THE BROWNS BOARD

Buckeyes Do get a BCS Game

Earle

Breaking News: MSU source: Spartans preparing for Cap One

Mickey and Minnie Mouse will get introduced to Sparty, not Brutus Buckeye, according to a source at Michigan State.

A source within the MSU football program said the Spartans are preparing for the Capital One Bowl, presumably for a game against Georgia.

The source said MSU coach Mark Dantonio told his staff they would receive an invitation to the Capital One Bowl on Sunday and would accept it.

A spokesman for Florida Citrus Sports, which oversees the Champs Sports and Capital One Bowls, said no invites have been issued and formal invites will not be made until Sunday.

An MSU spokesman denied any invitation for the team.

"We don't anticipate an official bowl offer and announcement until Sunday, Dec. 7," the spokesman said in an e-mail. The spokesman did not confirm or deny coach Dantonio's statements to his staff.

If Michigan State (9-3, 6-2), the Big Ten's third-place team, is planning for a trip to Orlando, it would mean a BCS bowl is in Ohio State's future.

Representatives for both the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls said Ohio State is a team being considered by their committees.

Ohio State (10-2, 7-1) is a co-Big Ten Champion along with Penn State (11-1, 7-1), but the Nittany Lions are the conference's representative in the Rose Bowl, having defeated the Buckeyes.

OSU is currently ranked 10th in the BCS standings, one spot behind undefeated Boise State (12-0).

Many speculate that the Broncos are Ohio State's top competition for a BCS at-large selection on Sunday, along with Ball State.

Conference championships in the SEC, ACC and Big 12 are Saturday and will determine three of the automatic BCS bids.

Big Ten champion Penn State, Big East champion Cincinnati and the Pac 10 champions, (USC currently leads the Pac 10), are the other automatic bids to BCS bowls.

Utah is also an automatic bid because they have the highest BCS ranking from a non-BCS conference and are ranked ahead of a BCS conference champion.

The second 2008 BCS Commissioner Team Selection call will be held today.

After the second call, a press release will be distributed naming the teams held for possible selection to this year's BCS bowl games and the BCS National Championship.

post-434-1228340607_thumb.jpg

What I have heard from a friend with actual ties to the Sugar Bowl is the Sugar is working to keep Utah out and keep them out west in the Fiesta and work to invite OSU to the Sugar Bowl to play the loser of the Fla/Alabama game this weekend.

OSU can expect to play in the Sugar.

AN SEC TEAM????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That is what I hear....the Sugar got strapped with BC last year and doesn't want Utah this year....OSU is heading to New Orleans

Best case scenario was for OSU to play Georgia in the Outback and MSU to get South Carolina. The Big Ten could have garnered some respect back and Penn State would have raked Lumsquad like they did earlier.

It is going to be very difficult for OSU to beat either Florida or Saban's gathering of high school dropouts, they're the two hottest teams in the country.

BTW, how long is it going to take for Bama to get busted under Saban's watch? He's recruiting anybody that can play, the total opposite of Notre Dame.

It is going to be very difficult for OSU to beat either Florida or Saban's gathering of high school dropouts, they're the two hottest teams in the country.

BTW, how long is it going to take for Bama to get busted under Saban's watch? He's recruiting anybody that can play, the total opposite of Notre Dame.

I don't know...too bad...Alabama is a fine school

Here are some figures I found for top programs:

Football Graduation Rates: Selected Others

Notre Dame 96%

Nebraska 85%

Florida 80%

Virginia Tech 72%

Michigan 68%

Wisconsin 67%

Miami 67%

Ohio State 54%

Georgia Tech 53%

Florida St. 52%

Oklahoma 51%

LSU 51%

Tennessee 49%

Georgia 45%

Texas 40%

Alabama 39%

I am a bit surprised Michigan is that low....they are known for being a top school...and those figures are adjusted for players who leave early for the NFL...as they should be.

You can't hold grad rates against schools for players who leave early to make possibly millions of dollars.

The Buckeys will either play Alabama/Florida (my money is on Florida to win) in the Sugar or Texas in the Fiesta. Both teams would be a difficult battle for the Buckeyes, but I think a lot of people will want to see them play another SEC team...so 'Nawlins is where we're probably headed. Man, I really hope we win. After this horrific season for the Browns, I really need the Buckeyes to go out on top.

Don't forget, I'm a Gator fan too. I lived there for 4 years. My uncle's neighbor was Jeremy Foley. I knew Mick Huber (voice of the Gators "Oh my"), Larry Vettel (local sportscaster) and was a general Gator guy, although everybody knew I was a Buckeye first. Even had a party with Don Devoe once.

Urban Meyer is from my hometown of Ashtabula, although he went to my arch rival Ashtabula St. Johns. Florida is a very fine academic institution, and while I don't know that much about Alabama (except a former girlfriend teaches there and says the academics lack-----especially among females because they're looking to mate first and foremost), I find it difficult to believe they're on the up and up right now.

My point about Alabama is simple: When you recruit as many players as Saban has this quick, there is something shady going on there.

He doesn't care though, because he'll move on like Granny Holtz used to do before the NCAA catches up with him.

BTW, grad rates are way overrated IMO, there are much better ways to determine the academic strength of a football team.

That said, I don't give OSU much of a chance against either team, their offensive line is offensive.

I am pretty sure the info I got is good...the Bucks may head west, but the Sugar is the SEC's game...they have a bit of clout, and got strapped with a bad draw last year....it would be a bad match to have Utah heading south.

There are going to be lot's of Ohio tags driving down through Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi on their way to N.O. in late December.

I don't know...too bad...Alabama is a fine school

Here are some figures I found for top programs:

Football Graduation Rates: Selected Others

Notre Dame 96%

Nebraska 85%

Florida 80%

Virginia Tech 72%

Michigan 68%

Wisconsin 67%

Miami 67%

Ohio State 54%

Georgia Tech 53%

Florida St. 52%

Oklahoma 51%

LSU 51%

Tennessee 49%

Georgia 45%

Texas 40%

Alabama 39%

I am a bit surprised Michigan is that low....they are known for being a top school...and those figures are adjusted for players who leave early for the NFL...as they should be.

You can't hold grad rates against schools for players who leave early to make possibly millions of dollars.

60% Graduation Rate is what is needed or schools will start losing scholarships!

I played golf with Jeremy Foley 3-4 years back in a football booster golf outing.

Best AD in the country.

My uncle just got a couple beautiful lab pups and they got out. The Foley's found them hiding under their porch and got them their shots and everything then returned them after finding out who they belonged to.

They're high integrity folks.

If you want to show grad rates, why not show PSU's?

That said, something remarkable about PSU this season is the fact that every starter on offense is maintaining a 3.0 GPA. That in itself is remarkable.....

Couple that with the fact that they had FOUR first-team Academic All-Americans - no other school had more than one, and the only other "big name" players from well-known schools were Tim Tebow and Myron Rolle (the Rhodes Scholar).

Pretty impressive if you ask me - something Terrell Pryor or Maurice Clarett never have to or had to worry about.

If you want to show grad rates, why not show PSU's?

That said, something remarkable about PSU this season is the fact that every starter on offense is maintaining a 3.0 GPA. That in itself is remarkable.....

Couple that with the fact that they had FOUR first-team Academic All-Americans - no other school had more than one, and the only other "big name" players from well-known schools were Tim Tebow and Myron Rolle (the Rhodes Scholar).

Pretty impressive if you ask me - something Terrell Pryor or Maurice Clarett never have to or had to worry about.

Little bitter are we?

Yep, PSU sure has had a lot to brag about recently as far as behavior goes.

Don't feel bad, Michigan doesn't like Pryor either.

I am pretty sure the info I got is good...the Bucks may head west, but the Sugar is the SEC's game...they have a bit of clout, and got strapped with a bad draw last year....it would be a bad match to have Utah heading south.

There are going to be lot's of Ohio tags driving down through Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi on their way to N.O. in late December.

Isn't this what I posted a few weeks ago...saying that the Buckeyes could get a BCS bid because the have fans who travel well and in this economy that it's an attractive option to a bowl game?

Not saying that it's right or that OSU deserves a BCS bid...but it is a factor when considering who goes to what bowl game.

Little bitter are we?

Yep, PSU sure has had a lot to brag about recently as far as behavior goes.

Don't feel bad, Michigan doesn't like Pryor either.

Bitter? At what? Last I checked Pryor is 0-1 vs PSU, at home, nonetheless. Secondly, I was not so sure I wanted the kid after reading all the garbage about him and his mouth. Surely alot of it was just people running their mouth, and then, football season began and I watched him game after game running his yapper at players on the other team. He would fit in ala Joey Porter or with the Steelers, like how they celebrate after four yard gains.

I sure as heck will not sit here and defend PSU's recent off-field troubles, but guess what? They are all GONE. But I thought this topic was about academics? I dont recall anyone bringing up behavior - just you.

We have Daryl Clark from OH and you have TP (and that doesnt stand for Terrell Pryor) from PA. I will take Clark over him any day.... class kid who does his job and has a great attitude. Last thing we needed was another problem child. Personally, I think Boeckman got the shaft... had you had him, OSU would have beat PSU. He shredded us the year before. Two bad games and Tressel throws him under the bus, unlike some other certain Ohio QB who gets 30 games to suck before being shown the pine.

Now, that's ok, you can keep him. And dont expect next year's results to be any different.

Pryor is just a young pup, he is getting on the job training. dont expect penn state will repeat what they did this year. the only reason Penn State won was because they pulled Clark! Like I said we shouldn't of hit the boy so hard! Clark was getting ready to hand us the game!

Bitter? At what? Last I checked Pryor is 0-1 vs PSU, at home, nonetheless. Secondly, I was not so sure I wanted the kid after reading all the garbage about him and his mouth. Surely alot of it was just people running their mouth, and then, football season began and I watched him game after game running his yapper at players on the other team. He would fit in ala Joey Porter or with the Steelers, like how they celebrate after four yard gains.

I sure as heck will not sit here and defend PSU's recent off-field troubles, but guess what? They are all GONE. But I thought this topic was about academics? I dont recall anyone bringing up behavior - just you.

We have Daryl Clark from OH and you have TP (and that doesnt stand for Terrell Pryor) from PA. I will take Clark over him any day.... class kid who does his job and has a great attitude. Last thing we needed was another problem child. Personally, I think Boeckman got the shaft... had you had him, OSU would have beat PSU. He shredded us the year before. Two bad games and Tressel throws him under the bus, unlike some other certain Ohio QB who gets 30 games to suck before being shown the pine.

Now, that's ok, you can keep him. And dont expect next year's results to be any different.

Hey my man, have more than one decent year where you beat OSU because a frosh QB fumbled. My god, of all schools to be talking shit it ain't PSU. Your vitriol for Pryor is ridiculous, he has done nothing to warrant the questioning of his character or his academics. It's purely speculation on your part construed as fact.

What is up with some of you guys? I realize OSU is hated around the country, but we got Tennessee hillbillies on another thread talking shit and now this guy. Here's something, be able to back up your smack for more than one year.

Come back at me, I may just have to lay the wood. I'm feeling kind of frisky.

Pryor is just a young pup, he is getting on the job training. dont expect penn state will repeat what they did this year. the only reason Penn State won was because they pulled Clark! Like I said we shouldn't of hit the boy so hard! Clark was getting ready to hand us the game!

Yeah, Devlin did a great job of handing off, huh? :blink:

Sounds a lot like ZOMBO

Guest ATENEARS

PSU also grabbed Michael Zordich and Brandon Beachum of Youngstown Cardinal Mooney last season. Zordich went there because his father was a star at Penn State. Beachum is another story. The kid was tough as nails as a RB/LB as a four-year starter at Youngstown, but attended three area camps (at OSU, Michigan & PSU) and PSU was the only one of the three to offer him. He received other offers from some very big DI schools, but I found it interesting that he was in Michigan's and OSU's camp and had interest in going to those places but never got invited after working out for them.

PSU also grabbed Michael Zordich and Brandon Beachum of Youngstown Cardinal Mooney last season. Zordich went there because his father was a star at Penn State. Beachum is another story. The kid was tough as nails as a RB/LB as a four-year starter at Youngstown, but attended three area camps (at OSU, Michigan & PSU) and PSU was the only one of the three to offer him. He received other offers from some very big DI schools, but I found it interesting that he was in Michigan's and OSU's camp and had interest in going to those places but never got invited after working out for them.

Beachum is built like a tank. I actually had the opportunity to speak to him LAST year when he and DJ Woods were at PSU together for a visit. Nice kid and a nice family. He starts on special teams and actually got some carries this year as a running back - PSU went four deep this year with Royster, Green, Carter and Beachum - until Carter tore his ACL. Not saying this group is near the four-deep that USC sports, but, a good group nonetheless.

Archived