THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting Titans vs Browns stat tidbits

Riceloft

The Titans use two or more tight ends on nearly 40 percent of plays, more than any other offense in the NFL. The Browns so far this year have allowed 6.8 yards per play to offenses with two or more tight ends on the field -- worse than any defense besides Oakland. (The average team gains 4.9 yards per play with two or more tight ends in the game.)

If the Browns want a chance at an upset, they need to change their habits and run outside instead of inside. The Browns are one of four teams that send running backs up the middle on over 60 percent of runs. Yet they are much better running outside -- the Browns rank 16th in Adjusted Line Yards up the middle but seventh around left end and sixth around right end. Meanwhile, Tennessee's defense ranks in the top 10 in four of the five directions we track. That includes left end, but it doesn't include right end, where the Titans' defense ranks 28th. More Jerome Harrison, please.

Looks like one of the only weaknesses on a stellar run defense. I sure hope our coaching staff reads football outsiders.

Guest ATENEARS

Nice find.

And I hope they are not afraid to use Jason Wright more as well. He hit the holes up the middle a hell of a lot faster last week.

Keep teams honest with Wright.

Pound a Fresh Jamal in short yardage runs.

Get Harrison & Cribbs free in open space outside.

How hard is that recipe when we had a healthy Winslow to keep LB's at home over the middle, Braylon to stretch the coverage deep, and Stallworth to run crossing routes underneith?

How can we be such screw-ups week-in and week-out?

Nice find.

And I hope they are not afraid to use Jason Wright more as well. He hit the holes up the middle a hell of a lot faster last week.

I noticed that too, Ate. But I mentioned that Indy has the smallest D in the league too. It could have given that appearance when there isn't the beef in the middle to stuff us up. That and they were on their 3rd or 4th MLB by the time the game was over. :unsure:

I hope it's a sign that Wright's stepped up.

Why can't we just use JL for the short yardage. He loves the responsibility of being in a "must gain" situation. He takes pride of his "8 in the box" nickname (something that we'll surely see in those short yardage situations). Why can't a coach explain to him this role and we actually use it? He revel's in "having his number called" to go in and be responsible for making a play, even if it's a yard or two. Plus he can get his 6'ers on goalline situations where we don't have to send in Josh Cribbs to try and fool the world just to get a TD.

Archived