THE BROWNS BOARD

Marty back to Cleveland?

titleist585

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that former Browns coach Marty Schottenheimer could be returning to the city in which his head-coaching career started.

Citing unnamed Browns sources, Mort reports that the team could pursue Schottenheimer if (when) Romeo Crennel is fired.

In our view, however, G.M. Phil Savage remains the wild card. Schottenheimer won’t want to play second fiddle to Savage, and Savage won’t want a head coach who got himself run out of San Diego because he couldn’t get along with the G.M.

So Savage might have to go before Schottenheimer could return.

And if Savage stays, he’ll lobby for a head coach who won’t try to undermine the G.M. or seize power.

And that leaves out Schottenheimer.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that former Browns coach Marty Schottenheimer could be returning to the city in which his head-coaching career started.

Citing unnamed Browns sources, Mort reports that the team could pursue Schottenheimer if (when) Romeo Crennel is fired.

In our view, however, G.M. Phil Savage remains the wild card. Schottenheimer won’t want to play second fiddle to Savage, and Savage won’t want a head coach who got himself run out of San Diego because he couldn’t get along with the G.M.

So Savage might have to go before Schottenheimer could return.

And if Savage stays, he’ll lobby for a head coach who won’t try to undermine the G.M. or seize power.

And that leaves out Schottenheimer.

Make it so.

The ULTIMATE story book ending.

Saw two interviews...1 where Marty said he's done coaching and another where Cowher said he wouldn't coach the Browns while rooney jr was still alive! Just what I've seen!

Spagnola 09"

Not another DC. Been there done that. They need a coach with HC experience. I read somewhere where marty said that cleveland would be his first choice.

Saw two interviews...1 where Marty said he's done coaching and another where Cowher said he wouldn't coach the Browns while rooney jr was still alive! Just what I've seen!

Spagnola 09"

Can't imagine why he would care about Rooney Jr. This is a business. If he is offered enough $$$ and power, he will come.

Not another DC. Been there done that. They need a coach with HC experience. I read somewhere where marty said that cleveland would be his first choice.

If we dont get a new coach thats a proven coach with roster power instead of another inexperienced coordinator with potential this team is shot and we need a new gm that dont have a problem with the coach calling at least 3/4 of his own roster...afterall its his job that hangs in the balance..

If savage could live with a demotion of power he is fine by me if not bye bye..

If we dont get a new coach thats a proven coach with roster power instead of another inexperienced coordinator with potential this team is shot and we need a new gm that dont have a problem with the coach calling at least 3/4 of his own roster...afterall its his job that hangs in the balance..

If savage could live with a demotion of power he is fine by me if not bye bye..

Since Cowher and Marty aren't coming, which one of the retreads out there, with experience, do you want to hire to turn this franchise around.

Which OC with experience makes more sense to you, since you don't want a defensive coach, Cam Cameron or Norv Turner (who should be fired by the end of the season).

Spagnola instead of a retread makes more sense to me.

Guest Aloysius
That would be the best thing to happen in cleveland. It would also be great to see his son brian come and be the OC and move chud out or to TE coach like he was for marty in San Diego.

Brian can't make a lateral move to another organization; either he sticks around as OC of the Jets or he takes a HC job elsewhere.

The more likely second Schottenheimer on our staff would be Marty's brother, Kurt, as DC.

And I'm not sure that's a good thing. From what I gather, he doesn't have a very good reputation as a DC. In fact, the final straw that led to Marty getting canned in San Diego was his wanting to interview Kurt for their vacant DC position.

On the other hand, Kurt's done a good job as Green Bay's secondary coach (his current job). Their pass defense this year is ranked 5th in the league.

Also, Kurt was Shaun Rogers' DC in Detroit for two seasons ('02-'03). Those were two good years for Shaun, and I'd be curious to know how the two of them got along / if Kurt was responsible for keeping Shaun motivated.

Archived