THE BROWNS BOARD

New Coach

Chicopee John

I can hear it now..............the guy was simply awful at the end of the first game he coached. He is in over his head.

However, if we agree that the team needs a 'no-nonsense' guy, somebody with fire in his belly, and somebody who knows about winning in a cold climate, why not put Mike Singletary on the short list.

He lacks experience. So does just about everybody else compared to Schottenheimer. At the same time, Singletary is on the upside of his career, while Marty is on the backside.

I say shake things up and bring in Singletary.

However, the Niners have been playing pretty well lately, and he might not be interested in other positions if he has an opportunity to stay in SF.

Shake things up, IMHO. Bring in a HOFer. Bring in a tough guy. Bring in a winner.

Here is why I say fire Crennel now, get Cowher or Marty in here now, throw the bank at them over pay them I don't care, so they know to start looking at draftees now. Not after they have been hired 2 months down the road. Lets not play chess lets play football.

crennel was in no way an affirmative action hire. he looked like a good candidate at the time. tons of experience, winning tradition, players love him. it just turns out he was over his head.

but affirmative action had nothing to do with him being hired.

THey hire someone else with no experience and im telling you shit WILL hit the fan.

I agree completely lerner cant afford to take the chance again most coordinators are not really groomed to be head coaches some are.. marty was as well as cowher because modell liked being able to have a guy familiar with the team take over when he fired really good coaches for stupid reasons.

We need an experienced guy like marty or cowher to re-program the browns current useless and undisciplined program and begin the process of bringing back stucture and identity to the team structure either or both of these guys can and will do that...

Afterwards with a successful structure in place the head coaches new coordinators and assistants will be capable of running the team in a mentored way when the HC steps down...currently we get a dc or oc as a new hc and reegime in and regime out they want to try their own thing instead of staying with a proven successful structured identity because they dont have a proven or structured identity..you guys do remember what it was like having an identity dont you?

There is not a lot of people out there that can bring back what shottenslimer or cowchin can bring back to this team in the sense of structure and identity they both learned their game in cleveland and they never left that structure when they left town think about it a bit watch some old tapes of marty and cowher and tell me you dont want the browns to have that structure and dawg pound identity/mentality again..

So to sum it up we need someone capable of successful structure building with hiring the right assistants to learn and prepare for the next level when the time comes..we need those assistants to be devoted to the successful developement of the players in the system and the system it self we need marty or cowher to get things started in brownstown again...

Both these guys are more than proven leaders they were mentored and learned their trade right there in cleveland and carried it where they went and they still have it how many others have IT?

I like young and fiery coaches as much as anyone but i prefer that they are locked into a successful system and mentored to be a head coach unlike the lousy staff crennel has assembled so eventually the HC will step down and leave a young deserving and prepared coordinator to run the show we can only get this by rebuilding our structure with the right people and by having proven stable success over time...

Or we can hire another coordinator and kick back for 4 more years of misery only to have to rebuild again lerner really needs to get it right this time..

I'd have to disagree with ANYONE who says Romeo was an affirmative action hire.

Romeo is a Parcels tree coach (highly sought after) with plenty of rings.

He's great as a dc when someone else keeps feet up his guys' asses for him, but he's too buddy buddy to be a hc, and unfortunately we've found that out here.

You know the saying "nice guys finish last" ?

Yeah I know that saying but that doesnt apply here and sometimes they dont finish last. Romeo Crennel had his shot here and he blew it. We should have made the playoffs in '06 and '07, even this year. You cant be buddy buddy with the players. When they drop a pass, fumble on accident, too many penalties, or do other stupid stuff, the coach should grab their face masks and yell in their faces. No "its ok youll get it next time" bs. And you can forget that blank stare Romeo has. I cant stand it.

Cleveland has to stop bringing in these first time head coaches. Its just not working anymore. We need somebody with experience and one that gets jacked up. You can forget Cowher because its wishful thinking at this point. We do need him, we do want him, but its NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. And Marty? I dont know. Maybe.

We need to change the 3-4 to a 4-3 defense. We need a new WR. Forget Edwards. Stick a box of forks in Anderson. He is a horrible quarterback. Quinn is our man. Hes alot quicker in the pocket and far more accurate. He knows where hes throwing. He gets rid of it quicker. Savage? I say get rid of him too.

It sucks that we may have to revamp the entire system again. In order to have continuous winning seasons like the Steelers, that has to be the plan. No questions asked. We can start with a new head coach. One thats described above. I still have faith as I have been a fan all my life. We are the lost loyal fans in all of football. Its frustrating to watch the Brownies fall but dont worry they will get back up someday soon. Rooting for other teams just cuz they win isnt right.

Im not too sure about us making the Playoffs this year, but we should have a lot more wins under our belt for sure. romeo never was the type of coach to get tough with the players (maybe why the players like playing under him).

Also while I do love what I see in BQ to blame DA for our ills is also bad. If BE had made half the catches that he missed, then DA will not seem as bad as he is. Also this year, the teams we met are the teams that we would meet in a playoff picture and it shows just how badly lagging we are in talent in comparison with their likes. So, it is not just coaching .... we need to upgrade some of our players.

What I want to see is progress. And for that we can start this year by getting the right kind of Coach, OC and DC.

I'd have to disagree with ANYONE who says Romeo was an affirmative action hire.

Romeo is a Parcels tree coach (highly sought after) with plenty of rings.

He's great as a dc when someone else keeps feet up his guys' asses for him, but he's too buddy buddy to be a hc, and unfortunately we've found that out here.

Agree totally. The front office is always looking for a spawn of one of the greats. Walsh, Parcells, Noll, Landry, etc., all had multitudes of assistants be hired (and most then fired) as teams were grasping for a piece of the greatness they represented. But so many great coordinators don't pan out as HC's. Norv Turner, Dick LeBeau, Charlie Weis, Herm Edwards, Crennel...all are or were highly successful coordinators just not cut out for the HC job. It's the hiring process that makes the difference, and a good football mind doing the hiring.

Archived