THE BROWNS BOARD

Besides Coaching - Here's WHERE We Need Improvement

Flugel

Right Tackle

Center

Runningback

WR position opposite Edwards (some will argue both but I think Edwards will return to form )

TE (we PRETEND we have the SAME Winslow pre-4 knee surgeriers/staph infections but we don't)

OLBer (Willie's old, people still complain obout Wimbley and at least Hall shows proimise so maybe just 1)

ILBer (even if D'Qwell turned the corner - Davis has not. Hopefully we only need 1)

DT/DE (had Robaire and Shaun Smith stayed healthy/100% maybe this ain't as bad but they didn't)

Safety (wouldn't you love an Ed Reed, Bob Sanders or Pollybottaboomba)

Depth Everywhere (History shows that stars like Assante Samuels are born when the starters infront of them go down)

QB (I'm hoping Quinn has the chance BUT I think that means DA needs to go and WHY is Dorsey still here? Need a vet backup QB capable going Don Strock on somebody instead of what we just saw)

They always say the worst time to go grocery shopping is when you're hungry because everything looks good. I did not prioritize in order of importance. I just slapped the subconscious up there in no significant order. Looking at our BIGPLAY scoring department - we need playmakers that can add points on any given play. While we've made plays on defense this year - we've just never been that team like Indy that can have our defense score when we're behind. We scored on the Giants when our lead and time remaining made them 1 dimensional and predictable with tendency. That was nice and well apreciated by all.

I'd be interested in hearing where you feel we need to prioritize the upgrading this offseason. We've had ENOUGH about the GM and the Coach so let's try to keep this thread on the players.

- Tom F.

Tom I agree on all points...I would also say The scheme on defense needs to be addressed and made to put more emphasis on actually getting to the QB instead of read and react,,,the reason we cant stop the run is simply because the D-line occupies the O-line and we dont have anyone woth a dick to rush the QB beside Rogers who we cant keep asking to do it all by himself...

The other thing is ...No competition and no more dicking around with Dumb Ass...We have seen enough of him to know he will never be good enough to be a starting QB in this league...Commit to Quinn and play Steptoe more...See what Rucker has...Id make Heiden the starter at TE...He's much more effective and he moves the chains..trade Winslow now...and I think this thing can be turned around...

Daven Holly, Lennie Friedman, Antwan Peek, Robaire Smith, Ryan Tucker, Joe Jurivicius, and Derek Anderson were all major contributors who are now on IR.

Those guys take care of about all of your needs and they're already on the payroll.

Get those guys back healthy and the team would be good again.

Daven Holly, Lennie Friedman, Antwan Peek, Robaire Smith, Ryan Tucker, Joe Jurivicius, and Derek Anderson were all major contributors who are now on IR.

Those guys take care of about all of your needs and they're already on the payroll.

Get those guys back healthy and the team would be good again.

Derek "I Suck At Playing QB" Anderson contributed nothing this year to deem himself worthy of a return...put the crack pipe down pookie and admit the failure your lover is..he sucked in college...he sucks now...and will always suck!

Right Tackle

Center

Runningback

Bless you, Mr. Flugels.

I would love a draft (excluding FA considerations), of LB, RT & DE (we traded Winslow or Edwards), RB, C.

And sign another DE. Is it safe to say the 3-4 hits the road with the new coaching staff?

Anyways, the #1 problem is Shaffer at RT. And let Tucker start til the young RT is ready and takes the job.

Let Shaffer back up at RG. or... something...

Right Tackle

Center

Runningback

WR position opposite Edwards (some will argue both but I think Edwards will return to form )

TE (we PRETEND we have the SAME Winslow pre-4 knee surgeriers/staph infections but we don't)

OLBer (Willie's old, people still complain obout Wimbley and at least Hall shows proimise so maybe just 1)

ILBer (even if D'Qwell turned the corner - Davis has not. Hopefully we only need 1)

DT/DE (had Robaire and Shaun Smith stayed healthy/100% maybe this ain't as bad but they didn't)

Depth Everywhere (History shows that stars like Assante Samuels are born when the starters infront of them go down)

QB (I'm hoping Quinn has the chance BUT I think that means DA needs to go and WHY is Dorsey still here? Need a vet backup QB capable going Don Strock on somebody instead of what we just saw)

They always say the worst time to go grocery shopping is when you're hungry because everything looks good. I did not prioritize in order of importance. I just slapped the subconscious up there in no significant order. Looking at our BIGPLAY scoring department - we need playmakers that can add points on any given play. While we've made plays on defense this year - we've just never been that team like Indy that can have our defense score when we're behind. We scored on the Giants when our lead and time remaining made them 1 dimensional and predictable with tendency. That was nice and well apreciated by all.

I'd be interested in hearing where you feel we need to prioritize the upgrading this offseason. We've had ENOUGH about the GM and the Coach so let's try to keep this thread on the players.

- Tom F.

With a laundry list that extensive, draft the best athlete/playmaker available. Fit them into the scheme and don't forget homegrown, backyard talent. The Stains have let so much local talent slip away for flashy big-name candy.

My first comment would be that we need to be patient and see who will be coach and what schemes on offense and defense he will run.

That being said, if we change to a 4-3, we have too many DT and only one DE (Wimbley) maybe Hall. Wimbley has shown that OLB in the 3-4 isn't his strength. Let him put on 10 to 15 lbs and play DE like he has always played. We have a MLB in Jackson. He should be a better fit at MLB then at ILB in the 3-4. Leon Williams could be a fit at WSLB and backup MLB. So in the 4-3 we wold need a good, athletic OLB and a pass rushing DE. WE also need help at safety. Jones wants a big contract and I don't think he has earned it.

If we maintain the 3-4, we have the DL set but must severely upgrade the LB positions. Davis is gone and McGinest is gone. Hall and Peek (if he could stay healthy) are decent at OLB, but you might as well trade Wimbley to a team that runs the 4-3 because he isn't a OLB. Definately need a ILB and OLB along with a SS. Jones may be a decent SS in the 4-3 but he can't even cover a TE.

So, we need a lot of help on defense. I'd say goodbye to McGinest, Davis, Saun "big mouth, no game" Smith, Cousins and let Jones walk.

On offense, trade Anderson, Shaffer, Stallworth and Winslow. Might not be able to get much for Stallworth or Shaffer but try or dump them. Also say goodbye to Lewis (when you talk you got to back it up), Dorsey (he'll make a nice coach some day). So, you need to find a #2 receiver, a power back to compliment Harrison and a RT to replace Shaffer. Tucker might be available for another year or two but you need to have someone behind him. JJ will be back for one year, but he is a slot receiver, you still need a #2 WR and Stallworth failed that test. Winslow has great talent, but his health is questionable and he is a major distraction, I want to see Rucker for the last 3 games and see what he's got.

Priority #1 - LB on defense, #2 - DE or LB depending what scheme we run, #3 a WR with hands and speed (TJ housyourmama) #4 - a SS who can rip your head off when he hits you, #5 - a power RB, #6 - a RT to replace pussy Shaffer and #7 - a veteran backup to Quinn. Those I would think are essential pickups. You also need to upgrade Center. Fraley just can't handle the big guys anymore. He faded this year. You also need another corner to compete with what we have and Holly. You need to convert Cribbs to RB and forget WR. The offense needs to include him and Harrison a lot more.

A lot of work to be done between FA and the draft. We need to pick up a few more first day draft picks.

Well I have to say this first Tom.

When I look at a list like that and don't have a lot of arguemnets with it, I am persuaded a bit more in your direction on the other arguement we won't discuss in this thread.

IF I had to prioritize the list you made. The LBers would be first. As you said, even if Jackson, wimbley and Hall pan out, you need more and you need quality depth there.

I'd then actually go RB. Lewis is done. While I wasn't convince of that coming into this season. I am now. And while I like Harrison and believe he needs to be used more. I am not convinced he's that "premier" back every great team needs.

after that, I'm not sure how I would rank the middle of the needs. but from your list I am least worried about TE. I think you give Rucker a chance if you don't keep Winslow. And QB, it's too early to really tell about Quinn, but I definitely don't think you try and find an upgrade to him yet. I agree we need a better back up than Dorsey, which is why I'd like to see Gradkoswski (sp) get playing time the rest of this year. No to see if he can ever start, but could be be a competent back up for Quinn.

Thanks JADBF!

Very good point about the LBers. We need depth and LBers are usally ideal special team guys as well so you can't ever have enough.

I hear ya about Harrison. I think maybe we could use him at the ratio of reps Jerrious Norwood gets to Michael Turner when we get our Michael Turner. I'm confident we will get a good RB for next year especially if you see Cowher or Marty here. That's enromous to either guy's philosophy

Actually the Gradkowski idea is good too. We may see this as early as Monday night because he'll know our playbook better by then. That would be really cool to learn we've found our backup QB in him as we close the season.

- Tom F.

Tom I agree on all points...I would also say The scheme on defense needs to be addressed and made to put more emphasis on actually getting to the QB instead of read and react,,,the reason we cant stop the run is simply because the D-line occupies the O-line and we dont have anyone woth a dick to rush the QB beside Rogers who we cant keep asking to do it all by himself...

The other thing is ...No competition and no more dicking around with Dumb Ass...We have seen enough of him to know he will never be good enough to be a starting QB in this league...Commit to Quinn and play Steptoe more...See what Rucker has...Id make Heiden the starter at TE...He's much more effective and he moves the chains..trade Winslow now...and I think this thing can be turned around...

Interesting stuff Nickers. Heiden and Rucker and Dinkins might mean we wouldn't have to worry about TE right now and Winslow might be able to open up some personnel opportunities for us.

- Tom F.

Right Tackle

Center

Runningback

- Tom F.

Flugs, I really believe we need to address many needs this offseason by trade, free agency and the draft

We need a game breaking type running back, Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno would be great choices though unless you can get a true game changing type back I don't advocate taking a running back with a top 10 pick.

We must get a linebacker I don't care if its a MLB or a linebacker that can be disruptive as a pass rusher, I feel this is our #1 need, what I don't understand is why nobody is mentioning our offensive line play this season, this o-line has been terrible, its not very athletic and is very slow, Fraley has shown he can't handle huge DT or NT and Shaffer has just been brutal, we need to get a run blocking center and a right tackle and hopefully we can add some offensive lineman who are athletic and can move a bit. We need some young athletic lineman.

I agree with you regarding Edwards and we need a #2 and #3 receiver the guys we have playing receiver are at best special teams players or 5th/6th type receivers and we have to get some ball hawking safeties, I know there are people who like to hype Sean Jones but this guy can't cover anyone and Brodney Pool does nothing for me has a safety and has poor ball skills and awareness.

I believe who we acquire will depend on who the new coach is and if we stay 3-4 or switch to a 4-3.

Part of a problem is admitting when you have a problem and its time for the Browns to start admitting that we made a mistake with Wimbley and he is not that linebacker we saw in year one and Brodney Pool is not a top ball hawk type safety you need for a playoff team.

We also have to look at getting some guys in here with heart and desire guys that will refuse to lose and do whatever to win games, yesterday we were just destroyed outmanned on both sides of the ball in the trenches yesterday

Here are a few guys I would like to see the Browns take a chance on: Larry Johnson, Steve Jackson Chad Johnson and Santana Moss these are guys that make plays and would upgrade our team.

larry johnson can't stop hitting women. i want no part of that guy. plus, his career's almost over. herm edwards ruined him as a football player by giving him the most touches a RB's ever had for a brutally bad KC team a few years back.

steven jackson can play. dude's ok by me, but i don't think there's any way StL lets him get away. his recent injuries are a concern, though.

chad johnson's under contract. i doubt cinci lets us get him.

same with santana moss. there's actually a better chance of us landing johnson.

i agree that no one should ever go RB in the top 10. the position just has too short of a shelf life. you want a long-term contributor out of a top-10 pick.

pass rush is our number one need. if we switch schemes, it's DE. if not, OLB. either way, we need guys who can get to the QB.

if we switch to a 4-3, we've got MLB covered. if not, our second need is ILB. a big guy.

after that, it's pretty subjective. i think BPA is a good route for us right now. we've got quite a few holes. there should more or less always be someone available that could work for us.

I would say that one thing that whent ignored this year is our kick return team!

I know that alot of people wont agree with me butt... i have noticed that we dont have the same caliber players blocking for Cribbs!

Vickers used to be a lead blocker along with Wright and ill tell you something... that first block that vickers lays makes a huge difference! Is Hieden even on kickoff any more.

If I had a return man of Cribbs caliber I would load that kick return team and let him make that difference.

On every kick off he is one or two blocks away... He is one tuff MFer.... so give the guy some help!

Not having Chaun Thompson in the wedge made a difference. Someone else was in the wedge last year that is not on the team (McMillian ???), but i can't remember who. But Cribbs made a comment that his blockers in front of him were different last year and he has to adjust to them. (polite way of saying, they aren't as good as the guys they have last year)

Archived