THE BROWNS BOARD

Chickens Coming Home to Roost?

Chicopee John

IMHO, everybody should keep their mouths shut and let this guy get his feet wet, at least, before critizing anything.

So far, since his victory, I believe he has said a heck of a lot that makes sense and I'd much rather have him opening his mouth right now than I would Bush, Paulson, Bernacke, Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand-types, etc.

Stay calm and, remember, we are one country.

Top Obama adviser pushes back

Responding to rising discontent on the left to President-elect Barack Obama’s centrist cabinet picks and early policy decisions, deputy campaign manager Steve Hildebrand has told progressive critics to take a deep breath.

With a long list of tasks ahead of him, Obama needs liberals to stand by him as he deals with a faltering economy, home foreclosures, an auto bailout and two wars, Hildebrand wrote Sunday on Huffington Post. Even so, Hildebrand added, Obama was elected “to be the president of all the people – not just those on the left.”

‘This is not a time for the left wing of our Party to draw conclusions about the Cabinet and White House appointments that President-Elect Obama is making,” Hildebrand wrote. “Some believe the appointments generally aren't progressive enough. Having worked with former Senator Obama for the last two years, I can tell you, that isn't the way he thinks and it's not likely the way he will lead. The problems I mentioned above and the many I didn't, suggest that our president surround himself with the most qualified people to address these challenges.”

Hildebrand’s column came after a weekend of increasing criticism from progressive bloggers and establishment liberal voices, including New York Times columnist Frank Rich and Mother Jones writer David Corn. Rich warned that Obama’s economic team of Larry Summers and Tim Geithner reminded him of John F. Kennedy’s “best and the brightest” team, who blundered in Vietnam despite their blue-chip pedigrees.

Like Obama has also done in recent weeks, Hildebrand asked for patience.

“As a liberal member of our Party, I hope and expect our new president to address those issues that will benefit the vast majority of Americans first and foremost,” Hildebrand wrote. “That's his job. Over time, there will be many, many issues that come before him. But first let's get our economy moving, bring our troops home safely, fix health care, end climate change and restore our place in the world. What a great president Barack Obama will be if he can work with Congress and the American people to make great strides in these very difficult times.”

Archived