THE BROWNS BOARD

Ahtyba Rubin

SJ_Browns

http://www.ohio.com/sports/95289569.html

BEREA: Cast aside and ignored by most college football programs, Ahtyba Rubin strapped shoulder pads to his massive body, stomped onto a field in east Texas and dominated anyone who dared to challenge him.

Mark Sartain still vividly recalls the moment he realized Rubin, who's now a defensive tackle for the Browns, had the potential to become an NFL player.

During Trinity Valley Community College's first day of full-contact hitting in the summer of 2004, Rubin, who entered the training session as an overlooked freshman out of Escambia High School in Pensacola, Fla., unleashed his raw power. The all-conference defensive lineman whom Rubin faced in a practice drill became just the first in a long line of victims.

''Tuba just stepped up and stoned him at the line of scrimmage and made him look like a JV player,'' said Sartain, Rubin's coach at Trinity Valley who's now at East Texas Baptist University. ''It just tickled us with laughter. I think it surprised us, and it surprised Tuba. From that day on, nobody messed with Tuba.''

About five years later, Rubin proved himself once again.

After defensive lineman Shaun Rogers suffered a season-ending ankle injury last year in Week 12 against the Cincinnati Bengals, Rubin filled the Browns' void at nose tackle. In his five starts, the Browns compiled a 4-1 record, yielding 110.6 rushing yards per game after allowing an average of 159.9 yards on the ground against their previous 11 opponents.

Now the 6-foot-2, 330-pound Rubin is poised to push for a starting job as he enters his third professional season. Browns coach Eric Mangini acknowledged Rubin's emergence has forced his staff to consider moving Rogers to defensive end, so Rubin, who had 38 tackles and a forced fumble last season, can continue to serve as a run-stuffing force in the team's 3-4 scheme.

''I think Rubin did a nice job last year,'' Mangini said. ''I'm excited about seeing his continued growth. I think he played well, and I think he made a really strong case to continue to play and that's a good thing.''

Rubin, however, has resisted falling prey to hype. Production, not expectation, has carried him this far. Last Thursday at organized team activities, Rubin insisted he's not planning to change his approach anytime soon.

''That would be great if that happens,'' Rubin said of possibly starting alongside Rogers. ''I just can't really worry about that too much. I just come out and practice and try to show Mangini that if he does give me the chance, I can make the best of it.''

The likelihood Rubin will receive more opportunities increased when Rogers, who's been sidelined during OTAs while he continues to rehabilitate his ankle, was arrested in early April for possessing a loaded gun at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The severity of Rogers' punishment remains unclear, but a suspension from the league appears imminent.

Meanwhile, Rubin continues to toil toward improvement.

After all, his work ethic helped him excel as an offensive lineman at Trinity Valley and eventually earn a chance to thrive as a defensive tackle at Iowa State. It paid off again when the Browns drafted him in the sixth round (190th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.

Rubin slipped through the cracks during the college recruiting process because of his academic problems, Sartain said, adding Rubin had difficulty reading when he arrived at Trinity Valley.

But with encouragement from his mother, Marion, father, Ronnie, and coaches, Rubin earned an associate degree in kinesiology from Trinity Valley despite hailing from a rough neighborhood that he believes hindered his development.

''Pensacola, Fla., there's not much hope for kids out there,'' Rubin said. . . . ''But my mom and dad supported me the whole way. I had a great family. My mom, she stuck with me through thick and thin, through good and bad times. She knew I was gonna be something successful. She always had my back.''

Since 1986, Trinity Valley has produced more than 20 NFL players. Sartain said he coached 14 of them, and he predicts Rubin's history of triumph will continue to motivate him.

''His best football is still well ahead,'' Sartain said.

''He's kind of gotten somewhere and he's settled in. I really believe he'll prove to be one of the best late-round draft picks that the Browns have ever had.''

yes, articles like this definitely make me more optimistic. the ground work for success in the regular season is laid down in the off-season. this is where it all starts, so let's hope our browns stay consistent and build off of this.

So whenever I see a degree that I've never heard of before, especially one that a football player who couldn't read before going to college achieved, I have to look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesiology

I really like Rubin and think he's a force to be unleashed. I can see how this degree could help an athlete understand body movements and such to help them gain an advantage on an opponent. I hope he really did learn this field and wasn't just given a degree because he's a stellar athlete. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since Mangini is big on smart, high character guys.

I really like the idea of moving Rogers to end, he's very quick and powerful and penetrates the line regularly. Unfortunately other teams used that speed against him last season by shedding him through the 2 gap and running through the 1 gap. I remember seeing that all too often and was a big reason we gave up so many yards before he went down with the injury. I saw Rubin stand up the center and guard more at the line of scrimmage, essentially closing both the 1 and 2 hole, which allowed or LB's to hit the runner when there was no place up the middle to go.

I think Rogers is more suited for the end position...

With Rubin occupying the middle of the line, it should allow Shaun more opportunities to make the play behind the line of scrimmage...

I like how our D is shaping up and if all goes well it should make us a more active defense...

If we stay healthy it could be a fun year....

Peace

T.Dawg

We, I think, are finally starting to see our list of late round and undrafted gems playing great.

hitting on late round and ufa can really boost a team. i hope the browns can get some production out of theirs.

Rogers would extend his career playing at end, I think, and thought before.

Having them playing side by side? you have to grin at the possibilities of a very,

very differently performing Browns defense.

Having them playing side by side? you have to grin at the possibilities of a very,

That certainly sounds like an intriguing possibility. One of the best ever, Reggie White shifted back and forth from DE to DT. Can Rogers do the same? Worth a try.

having them play side by side sounds like a good idea. i can't wait to see how ryan lines these guys up on the d-line.

Only problem is how much of a suspension is looming for Rogers, but when both are in there it could get REAL interesting (and exciting)!

Mike

Archived