THE BROWNS BOARD

Jerome Harrison - Business as usual in Berea

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...e_harris_3.html

BEREA, Ohio — The Browns have Jerome Harrison's 8-year-old niece to thank for getting him back to organized team activities.

"We were just talking, and she said, 'Uncle J, just go play football.' My little niece. And I'm like, 'You're right,' " Harrison told The Plain Dealer.

His niece's innocent plea put things in perspective for Harrison, who joined voluntary OTAs last week after skipping the first week because he's not under contract. A restricted free agent, Harrison has yet to sign his one-year tender. But unlike four other Browns who are restricted free agents -- and absent -- Harrison signed an injury waiver and returned last Monday.

"It's what I love to do," Harrison said. "It doesn't matter the circumstances or the situation. Playing football is what I love to do and she just made it clear as day for me."

Harrison declined to say when or if he'll sign his second-round tender, which is worth $1.759 million for 2010. The deadline to sign is June 15, and if Harrison and the others don't sign by then, the Browns can reduce the offers to 10 percent above their 2009 salary, which in Harrison's case would be $593,000.

Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said the team has discussed reducing the offers, but hopes to avoid doing so. The Browns have a mandatory minicamp June 10-12, but the unsigned RFAs won't be penalized for not attending.

"I plan on playing football," Harrison said when asked if he'll sign the tender.

As for seeking a long-term deal, he said: "I just really like it in Cleveland. I like the fans. I like the people. I've built a lot of relationships with my teammates. That's why I'm just going to keep playing football."

He said he's not worried about getting hurt while not under contract.

"I'm not practicing not to get hurt," he said. "I'm just out here having fun with the guys. You get hurt when you're trying not to get hurt."

Harrison maintained that rookie running back Montario Hardesty did not factor into his decision to attend OTAs. Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to draft in the second round, began playing with the first-team offense in Harrison's absence and remains there. The situation is not uncommon when a veteran misses workouts, even voluntary ones.

"That had nothing to do with my return, nothing at all," Harrison said. "Montario's a good running back. What's in store for him is for him and what's in store for me is for me."

Coach Eric Mangini was effusive in his praise of Hardesty, but the Browns are still motivated to get Harrison under contract.

"I think Montario has had a really outstanding camp," Mangini said. "For a young guy, he makes very few mistakes. His level of maturity is one of the highest that I've been around and that's great. That's going to give him the best chance to not only play, but to play a lot if he continues along this path. That's exciting to see. Again, it's with a big asterisk because we don't have pads on and they're not games. But I really like what he's done to this point."

Harrison was a key factor in the Browns' four-game winning streak to end last season. He rushed for 561 yards and three touchdowns over the final three games, including his record-shattering 286-yard outing against the Chiefs.

"[Harrison's] looked good," Mangini said. "It's really hard to evaluate where guys are [without pads on]. You're looking at it more in terms of assignments, technique, things like that. He's made very few mistakes, which is excellent. He looks similar to the way he looked [at the end of last season]."

And if all goes as planned, he'll pick up where he left off.

"I'm not worried about the contract," he said. "I'm just happy to be back."

What I took from this article is that Hardesty's character and IQ reminds me of Thomas Jones and that is a really good thing!

As for Harrison, I think he's starting to realize he doesn't have much leverage in the matter and with the chance of a lock-out next year, he needs to get paid this year regardless whether or not it's what he thinks he's worth. 1.7 mil sounds much better than half a mil. And we have plenty of RBs on the team.

HB - Hardesty, Davis, Jennings

FB - Vickers, Hillis (can be HB as well)

What I took from this article is that Hardesty's character and IQ reminds me of Thomas Jones and that is a really good thing!

As for Harrison, I think he's starting to realize he doesn't have much leverage in the matter and with the chance of a lock-out next year, he needs to get paid this year regardless whether or not it's what he thinks he's worth. 1.7 mil sounds much better than half a mil. And we have plenty of RBs on the team.

HB - Hardesty, Davis, Jennings

FB - Vickers, Hillis (can be HB as well)

When Boo Boo got injured we saw what Harrison had to offer with more than a handful of 3rd down carries - and I liked what I saw and would like to see more of it this year. I'm glad he's back and I hope he signs up before the 15th - Hardesty looks good so far but unproven, Davis - hmmm not sure about him and Jennings is unproven and off an injury - I say we need Jerome.

Re Fullbacks, I love Vickers.

Sometimes having someone like a young kid around can help give a situation some perspective. Jerome Harrison loves playing football AND if things are meant to be, the contract stuff will work itself out. The worst he comes out of this IF he accepts the deal is with around a million dollar raise essentially. Parley that into a good season and you've got yourself all sorts of mad cash awaiting you. Getting into Mangini's favor NOW aid's this plan and also gets the coaches into thinking of Jerome as a primary weapon right from the start.

OBR is reporting that Harrison has changed representation.

If this is true, it may mean that Harrison realized the advice he was getting to “hold-out” was silly.

I put “hold-out” in quotes because a restricted free agent who hasn’t signed his tender is technically not under contract, and so is not “holding-out”.

If he doesn't sign soon he will only be hurting himself. Just look how long he had to wait to get a shot as the starter. Something tells me that the coaching staff will move on without him and start grooming the next guy in line.

Sometimes having someone like a young kid around can help give a situation some perspective. Jerome Harrison loves playing football AND if things are meant to be, the contract stuff will work itself out. The worst he comes out of this IF he accepts the deal is with around a million dollar raise essentially. Parley that into a good season and you've got yourself all sorts of mad cash awaiting you. Getting into Mangini's favor NOW aid's this plan and also gets the coaches into thinking of Jerome as a primary weapon right from the start.

agreed. jerome knows all to well how quickly a player can get pushed to the back of the line. it's good to see him at the otas and hopefully he gets his contract situation solved.

Archived