THE BROWNS BOARD

Energy sets Browns' new linebacker apart

Browns57

Energy sets Browns' new linebacker apart By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 10:18 p.m. EDT, Jun 03, 2010

BEREA: Somebody must have forgotten to remind veteran linebacker Chris Gocong that the Browns aren't practicing in pads until later this summer.

Clad in a pair of shorts, a brown and white No. 51 jersey and a helmet, Gocong took his pass-rushing duties seriously Thursday during organized team activities. Instead of going through the motions as some players do this time of year, Gocong zoomed past offensive linemen, ripping and spinning his way toward quarterback Jake Delhomme.

When rookie running back Montario Hardesty fumbled after catching a pass, Gocong scooped the ball off the ground with a lightning-quick reaction. Last week during another OTA session open to media, Gocong unintentionally leveled Hardesty with a clothesline that would have made legendary professional wrestler Ric Flair scream, ''Whoooo!''

''Sometimes you've got to dig down and find it on days like this — long days,'' Gocong said. ''I feel like I have a high motor, and it's contagious. When I'm flying around and when other linebackers are flying around, it translates to other people, so we try to keep that going.''

With his enthusiasm and ability to adapt, Gocong has caught the attention of Browns coach Eric Mangini.

''I think Chris Gocong has really made some excellent strides,'' Mangini said. ''He's a really smart guy. He's heard things now two or three times, and some of the littler things are starting to come.''

Gocong is one of the new faces at the Browns' headquarters this offseason. In early April, the Browns acquired Gocong and veteran defensive back Sheldon Brown for backup linebacker Alex Hall and two 2010 draft picks (fourth- and fifth-round selections) in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Of the 47 games in which he played for the Eagles, Gocong started in 35 of them. Last season, he had 50 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble in 15 games, but he lost playing time to Moise Fokou toward the end of the season.

Nevertheless, the Browns and General Manager Tom Heckert, who became familiar with Gocong and Brown during his time with the Eagles, have faith in Gocong's ability to excel in their 3-4 defense. In recent practices, Gocong has been switching between the inside and outside linebacker spots along with Scott Fujita, David Bowens, Jason Trusnik and David Veikune.

''I think it's great to have guys that can [play inside and outside linebacker] because it gives you depth on the [active roster],'' Mangini said. ''When you play the game, you may not have to carry an extra inside linebacker or outside linebacker, you can just shift one of those guys to those spots and they can give you a level of play that maybe that extra guy that you would have carried would give you. Now it gives you some versatility if you want to carry an extra receiver or a core special teams player.''

Gocong, who said he played in a hybrid 3-4 system during his college days at Cal Poly, enjoys alternating positions for another reason: It creates chaos.

''Whenever we're moving around, it's keeping the quarterback [off balance],'' said Gocong, a California native. ''As much as I can move around, the more confusion it creates on the other side of the ball. I really don't have a preference. I just love the confusion it breeds.''

Perhaps more important than his relentlessness and flexibility, Gocong, like Brown, Delhomme, Fujita and tight end Ben Watson, bring leadership to the Browns. After all, they've been there and done that when it's mattered most.

''We have so many guys who have so much playoff experience, you know Super Bowl rings,'' said Gocong, who made three starts in his four career postseason appearances with the Eagles. ''I feel like we do have the talent. We have the guys who have been there before, who have been in that pressure and all that stuff. I feel like we've got something special.''

Now Gocong simply needs to show his new teammates he's capable of maintaining a high intensity level when it's time to wear pads and hit in earnest.

''I can't wait,'' he said.

I am really excited about our LB's this year overall and I think this guy is going to be great for us. With his fit in our defensive scheme he should really excel. And with a better secondary our lb's should be able to get more pressure on the QB. I can't wait to see our improvement in this area this year. Lets see if we can drop Big Ben 10 times a game this year! Go Browns!

i think gocong struggled in philly because they ran the 4-3 and he's better suited and more experienced in the 3-4. i posted some info on him a few days ago and i also saw him on the news. he seems excited and relieved to finally play in a system that he knows well and can play to his strengths in.

I'm likin it, I'm likin it.

Let's just hope he doesn't put someone in hospital before the pads come on. Great spirit, we are shaping up - I feel we will do well consistently on D this season. I wish Roth wasn't acting like a dickhead - I think two of them ripping through the line would be awesome - I am rapidly going off Roth.

Gocong is a guy you cant help but to think is going to add a serious presence to our LB corp both against the run ,blitz and short passing game...good speed with a built in QB radar and he is an opportunistic ballhawk in short coverage if the chance arises...

Gocong is a guy you cant help but to think is going to add a serious presence to our LB corp both against the run ,blitz and short passing game...good speed with a built in QB radar and he is an opportunistic ballhawk in short coverage if the chance arises...

agreed. damn, can september please hurry up??!! :D

Archived