THE BROWNS BOARD

Tribe drafts Pomeranz

Chris.

Drew Pomeranz

Can't say I know a whole lot about him, but there's this...

He was the top rated pitcher in college.

He's left handed.

He's huge at 6'5 and 230 pounds.

He has a 93-ish mph fastball.

He has a pretty good breaking ball.

His changeup is going to be the main focus going forward (where have I heard that before?).

I'll post more once the more knowledgeable people start their writeups, and if anyone knows any more....let us know.

Here's his mlb.com profile (with video)

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id...tent_id=7222487

From Castro

Because they possessed such a prominent pick and because their Draft history the past 10 years has, to put it politely, left a lot to be desired, the Indians recognized the importance of getting this pick at No. 5 correct.

So what pointed them to Pomeranz?

This is a Draft pitching pool that is said to be much deeper on the right-handed end, so the Indians used their high pick on one of the few highly touted lefties in the mix. The scouting reports on Pomeranz, who turns 21 later this month, indicate that he could have an effective three-pitch mix at the Major League level someday.

Pomeranz, a native of Collierville, Tenn., throws a fastball up to 94 mph (more often, it's at 91-92), a curveball with two variations to keep the hitter off balance and a changeup said to be improving with age. He has shown control of his pitches and poise on the mound. He threw seven scoreless innings in the Rebels' 10-5 win over St. John's in the first round of the NCAA Tournament's Charlottesville Regional on Friday.

The Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Year, Pomeranz went 9-2 with a 2.24 ERA in 16 starts for Ole Miss this season. He struck out 139 and walked 49 in 100 2/3 innings of work, holding the opposition to a .195 average against. He led the league in ERA, strikeouts and opponent batting average.

A pull in his pectoral muscle hampered Pomeranz's control a bit in the later stages of the season but is not considered a major issue.

"He's the premier college pitcher in the country," St. John's coach Ed Blankmeyer recently told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal of Pomeranz. "He works both sides of the plate with that power breaking ball. He's going to be in the big leagues very quick. He's on the fast track."

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

I am an Ole Miss alumnus, and currently live in Oxford (MS).

I can tell ya, I had my fingers crossed Pom would be a Tribesman. I've seen all home starts this year (roughly 10 or so). Fastball usually around 92-93, nice movement, usually away from righties. Three pitch guy, great command of all 3. Good stamina, as he usually pitched us to the 7th inning or later. I can honestly say, we could play with anyone in the NCAA when Pom was on the hill. IF this changeup he's been working on becomes effective, we shall see him within 2 years. As far as the pectoral injury goes, it definitely affected him later this year (fastball lost a couple mph, command was off-see bb totals), but all indications I've heard locally are that it is not a big deal long-term.

I hate to lose Pom from OM, but I'm THRILLED he's with my Tribe!!!

(Stephen Head in AAA is also from OM, so it keeps getting better and better for me)

Hotty Toddy and GO TRIBE!!

Im really excited about him. At the same time I cant get used to the players we have now, because we get rid of them when they peak. I hope he can stick for a few years though.

Im really excited about him. At the same time I cant get used to the players we have now, because we get rid of them when they peak. I hope he can stick for a few years though.

I'd hope we could take the Westbrook/Fausto approach and sign him once he gets a call up (hopefully after June next year).

Long term deal, low $$ as he would still be "high risk" at that point in his career.

This dude is solid, trust me.

I am an Ole Miss alumnus, and currently live in Oxford (MS).

I can tell ya, I had my fingers crossed Pom would be a Tribesman. I've seen all home starts this year (roughly 10 or so). Fastball usually around 92-93, nice movement, usually away from righties. Three pitch guy, great command of all 3. Good stamina, as he usually pitched us to the 7th inning or later. I can honestly say, we could play with anyone in the NCAA when Pom was on the hill. IF this changeup he's been working on becomes effective, we shall see him within 2 years. As far as the pectoral injury goes, it definitely affected him later this year (fastball lost a couple mph, command was off-see bb totals), but all indications I've heard locally are that it is not a big deal long-term.

I hate to lose Pom from OM, but I'm THRILLED he's with my Tribe!!!

(Stephen Head in AAA is also from OM, so it keeps getting better and better for me)

Hotty Toddy and GO TRIBE!!

Good stuff. He seems like the real deal, hopefully with some pro coaching he can be more consistent in the 93-94 mph range and keep developing his secondary pitches.

As for the rest of the picks, seems like the Tribe is really going with the high upside guys, the last two drafts seem to be working out so hopefully it's more of the same this year.

And as always for me...

www.indiansprospectinsider.com is the place to go to read up on all of these guys.

Archived