THE BROWNS BOARD

Nebraska to Big Ten

From all I heard it is not a done deal . Let's just wait till it is to be sure .

If ESPN is reporting they have accepted and Tom Osbourne is telling coaches there moving to the Big Ten I'd say its fair to discuss it

How bout them to Youngstown coaches in the Big Ten, Tressel and Polini.....Pretty exciting

Would this go into effect this year?

I think what is happening is this:

Big Ten comes out a few months ago saying they are on a 12 to 18 month investigation on expansion.

Rumors state 2 to 4 Big 12 teams could be targets of such an expansion.

A few months after all this talk, the Big Ten announces that no expansion vote will be held at the latest meeting. I think its actually about 6 months after the initial announcement.

Then a month or so later, the PAC10 announces it is most likely going to expand, and the rumors are, its going to take 4 to 6 of the Big 12. Boise State also announces that it is going to hold off on deciding whether to join the Mountain West until the PAC10 has finished its business.

The Big 12 then gives Nebraska and Missouri a deadline on whether they will join the Big 10 or not.

Now when the Big 10 initially made its announcement, they said that part of their process will first be to privately gauge interest without embarassing either side. So if an invitation is made, it will be accepted. They also indicated that they would talk to the respective conferences first before an invitation or formal inquiry about interest is made.

My guess, is that the Big 10 decided they wanted either Nebraska or Missouri and informed the Big 12 that they might make an invitation.

The Big 12 is trying to end-run this possibility by creating a dead-line way in advance of the Big Ten making any kind of decision. Basically making Nebraska and Missouri choose without knowing whether they actually will be invited by the Big Ten or not.

The PAC10 I think is jumping the bandwagon here, or after realizing that the Big 12 could be sinking should the Big 10 get one or two teams from them, they wanted to sweep up some of the Texas/Oklahoma power teams.

Tom Osborne's interview seemed to indicate that Nebraska is seriously considering joining the Big 10, but by all reports there has been no official invitation. They've indicated that they will not do anything (as far as leaving the Big 12) without an official invitation.

This means that Nebraska is essentially telling the Big 10, "Hey, we are interested, we want in, but if you don't invite us by Friday, we are staying with the Big 12."

Now its up to the Big 10. Send the official invite by Friday, or lose out. Problem is, they already had their conference meetings and weren't planning to meet for like another 6 or 9 months. So they need to have an emergency conference call or give Delaney the power to make the invite by proxy.

My guess, the Big 10 waits and loses out on Nebraska and Missouri because they are still hoping that Notre Dame will change their mind.

It ran across on ESPN that they have accepted the invitation

and heres a article and Video

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

This is a good thing for the Big Ten........and if it is a done deal.........Missouri will be in as well. I would also expect the unknown shoe to drop is that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St come as well and Notre Dame...............WOW WHAT A CONFERENCE that would be.................too cool...........thanks in advance

btw ND is between a rock and hard place................or just being irrelevant..........BIG Ten makes these deals .......ND sucks wind or joins................and they have sucked wind for ten years ............the NBC thang is over

This is a good thing for the Big Ten........and if it is a done deal.........Missouri will be in as well. I would also expect the unknown shoe to drop is that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St come as well and Notre Dame...............WOW WHAT A CONFERENCE that would be.................too cool...........thanks in advance

btw ND is between a rock and hard place................or just being irrelevant..........BIG Ten makes these deals .......ND sucks wind or joins................and they have sucked wind for ten years ............the NBC thang is over

Its being reported that Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Colorado will join the PAC 10

Its being reported that Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Colorado will join the PAC 10

And then the ACC and Big East merge and we have four Super Conferences?

I guess we are headed in that direction...

Zombo

It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

It's time to move up and on.

And then the ACC and Big East merge and we have four Super Conferences?

I guess we are headed in that direction...

And that's the reason Notre Dame is considering joining the Big Ten; they don't want to be left behind when everyone else merges.

If I'm the teams in the big ten right now (especially osu and psu) I worry about this. Nebraska may not be a power house but they are definately competitive. I think that Bo Pelini is a good coach and the huskers will be in the top ten in the next couple of years. It's better for the big ten if they join, but it should scare Jimmy T.

Also, as a huge Notre Dame fan, let me just say that I would love to see the Irish join. It gives them a consistent schedule every year, it puts an end to the argument of "Notre Dame doesn't play anybody", they already play 3 or 4 big ten schools every year, and it gives them some identity. Also, I agree with Alo: the Irih may be getting nervous about being left out in the rain when these new "super conferences" emerge. They will want to be a part of that.

Not that they leave but that they will get left out and end up in a conference with no BCS ties

The Big East is contractually one of the 6 BCS conferences. I think the only way the Big East gets left out is, if, as a conference they continually score lower (on the new BCS conference formula) than say the Mountain West or the WAC.

It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

It's time to move up and on.

Ballpeen-

I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.

Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.

I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.

Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.

A Kansas City TV station reported the Texas teams are heading to the Big 10, but Chip Brown - the guy who's owned the realignment story - doesn't believe the report:

There's a Kansas City TV report saying Texas and A&M to the Big Ten. That would be news to those schools.

via here

Based on what I've read, it sounds like Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, and Missouri are more likely Big 10 expansion schools. Texas and five other Big 12 teams are expected to head to the Pac 10.

Ballpeen-

I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.

Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.

I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.

Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.

Well Bob, I like tradition as well. On a whole, I enjoy college football way more than the NFL. I can sit and watch all sorts of college games, but with the NFL, unless the Browns are involved, I rarely watch full games other than post season.

It is what it is Bob....I don't think the SEC or Big 12 hurt anything.

As for conditions...how is that an argument? You play where you live...or go to school. You go to your bowl game wherever it is scheduled. If they start scheduling bowl games in Newark, so be it.

Is it my fault or the SEC's fault that when they started the whole bowl game deal, back when the Big 10 was the top conference 90 years ago the powers that be decided to play Bowl games in places like Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pasedna, and not in places like Detroit, Chicago, New York or Bismark??

Travel is travel no matter how far you go....unless you are talking a big time change, but for the most part time change isn't a issue because most bowl games are played in eastern or central time, and most teams get to their destination well in advance to make the adjustment.

Again....I embrace tradition, but there is nothing wrong with new tradition.

I don't think a Texas as an example would be a good addition for the Big 10....they are a mid west outfit....but will say Nebraska fits the Big 10....not much different then Iowa really.

I don't want the SEC as an example taking some team up in Pennsylvania....that isn't SEC country....the SEC is southern teams....and that isn't putting any northern teams or people down.....I was born in Ohio even if I have lived in the south most of my life and with a Alabama Mama was raised as a southern boy despite of the fact I lived on the shore of Lake Erie and my closest neighbor to the north was Canadian.....north side of Lake Road, Bay Village.

Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm

Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm

Yes, you nailed it. The Big 10 & Pac 10 want more $$, plain & simple.

College football is great, however, I don't like the direction it's heading to. All of us here could list a ton of pros & cons on college football today- it just seems to me that it's all about the $$ anymore.

As for arguing about where you play & location...I could type all day about it, but I would much rather be aggrevated playing golf or doing yardwork...

"I love the thought of playing Iowa and Ohio State and going in there and kicking some (butt)," - Genrich

This may get interesting, especially since Michigan cannot bring anything to the table anymore. It will be nice to play some real competition.

Source

This may get interesting, especially since Michigan cannot bring anything to the table anymore. It will be nice to play some real competition.

Source

I think the Big Ten is playing roulette with the Big 12 courting both .......the Texas Teams and the Oklahoma Teams........knowing no matter which group comes aboard...........they win a financial windfall................and the Pac 10 loses

just my stupid view

Archived