THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns 2010 mandatory mini-camp

SJ_Browns

an article about sheldon brown:

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/06/11/1301889...is-blanket.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns quarterback Jake Delhomme took a snap, dropped back and looked toward wide receiver Brian Robiskie as the latter sprinted along the sideline.

Delhomme didn't dare throw the ball to Robiskie, though, because cornerback Sheldon Brown's coverage proved to be suffocating. Later, Robiskie caught a short pass and was immediately wrestled to the ground by Brown, even though nobody was wearing shoulder pads Thursday afternoon.

Life simply isn't easy when you compete against Brown.

Showing his ability to harass receivers during the first day of the Browns' mandatory minicamp, Brown hopes to become even more of a nuisance once he masters his new team's defense.

In early April, the Browns traded backup linebacker Alex Hall and a couple of 2010 draft picks (fourth- and fifth-round selections) to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Brown and linebacker Chris Gocong. Brown spent his eight-year professional career playing in the Eagles' 4-3 defense, so switching to the Browns' 3-4 scheme poses a challenge.

"It's our responsibility to learn the system as fast as we can, so we can all be on the same page," Brown said. "When you have mistakes, that's when you give up big plays and things don't go well on the field. The (other) new guys are in the same situation I'm in. We're all trying to learn the terminology and how (the coaches) want things to be played."

Browns brass views Brown as a reliable leader who can help the team on the field and in the locker room. Brown, however, insists that he must be a student before he can meet any other expectations.

"I definitely view that as part of my role," Brown said. "But for me, I have to really figure out what's going on, get the defense down, so I can help (younger) guys. (I need to) understand what I'm talking about before I can really do that.

"That playbook is in there. You have to study. You have to watch film. It's a different 25-30 plays a day that you have to know when they call them. When you go back, you have to be able to recall what you learned the day before, so it's tough."

Coach Eric Mangini is confident Brown will figure it out.

"In a lot of ways, he's like a rookie again," Mangini said. "He's learning everybody's name. He's learning all the stuff that for years he was really comfortable with. He's really diligent. He wants to know all the information, and he wants to know it in great detail. And he has been studying like crazy.

"You appreciate that because it could be easy for a veteran to come in and say, 'OK. I'll get it between now and training camp. I'll eventually absorb it.' But he wants it now."

In the past six seasons, Brown started all but one of the Eagles' games. Since his rookie season in 2002, Brown has played in 13 postseason games.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Brown turned 31 this past March, but he still appears to have enough left to deliver. In 2009, he had 68 tackles and a career-high five interceptions.

"I've always been a player that believes durability is really, really bigger than ability," Brown said. "I just try to show it week in and week out. It doesn't matter if I'm playing through injuries or whatnot."

looks like the offense is back on track:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...06/post_22.html

Crisp offensive day: The offense looked sharp in both sessions on Friday, hitting numerous TD passes in red-zone and other drills. Jake Delhomme hit Robert Royal with a short TD pass just inside the goal-line over Chris Gocong, and Wallace eluded a blitzing Ramzee Robinson to find Josh Cribbs in the back left corner for a 10-yard TD. Earlier, Delhomme lobbed a 50-yarder to Mohammed Massaquoi over the middle. In the morning, Wallace zipped a TD pass to Cribbs on a post route in seven-on-sevens. But the defense, which doesn't have the benefit of contact yet, had its moments. Batting down passes on the day were Thomas Brown, DeAngelo Smith, Jason Trusnik and Auston English.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...icamp_quic.html

CLEVELAND -- The following are quick hits from the final minicamp practice Saturday morning:

* Running back Montario Hardesty, who's had an outstanding camp, was idle on the final day. He has his left ankle taped during practice on Friday, but still practiced that day. Mangini said most of the players with minor tweaks were taken off the field for precautionery reasons.

* Linebacker Scott Fujita, who left practice Friday with a laceration on his right hand, was also idle on Saturday. He said after practice that he doesn't know how it happened, but that it's nothing serious. "Only a few stitches,'' he said.

* Cornerback Eric Wright, who missed the previous three practices with a tight muscle took a few reps Saturday, breaking up a pass from Colt McCoy. When asked how he's doing, he said, "I was back out there practicing.''

* Rookie safety Larry Asante, who came up limping slightly after a play on Friday and missed much of the afternoon session, sat out Saturday and rode the exercise bike. The Browns were without their two rookie safeties again, with T.J. Ward still nursing a tight muscle.

* Tight end Evan Moore returned to action after missing a few practices and caught two touchdown passes from Brett Ratliff on post patterns.

* Defensive lineman Brian Schaefering got the team off the field early by heaving a 60-yard pass through the narrow uprights. "He's got a gun,'' said Mangini. "Maybe we'll use him at the end of a game -- from the negative 20.''

* Eric Mangini stopped short of naming Jake Delhomme the starting quarterback heading into the training camp. "We're heading in that direction,'' said Mangini. "We'll head into training camp and see how it goes.'' He added that Seneca Wallace has looked good too. "They'll both work with the ones,'' he said.

an article about jake and senecca:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...mangini_25.html

CLEVELAND -- Browns coach Eric Mangini stopped short of naming Jake Delhomme the starting quarterback heading into training camp, saying Delhomme and Seneca Wallace will both work with the first-team.

"We're heading in that direction (with Delhomme as the starter), but we'll head into camp and see what happens,'' said Mangini. "Jake has looked good, but Seneca's done a really nice job too. They'll both get work with the ones. It's good to have this situation.''

He said he's not just saying this to gain a competitive advantage.

"It's just both of those guys are going to work with (the ones) and I want to see what happens,'' said Mangini. "It's not anything other than that. I just want to see how it goes. I really like what (Delhomme's) done though. I've really liked a lot of what he's done. And I've liked what Seneca's done. I just want to see a little bit more before we do that..''

He said the two will get an equal amount of reps, but not necessarily with the first team. He also said this situation shouldn't be compared to last year, when Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson split the reps in camp.

"Last season was last season,'' said Mangini. "It's worked for these guys and I'm happy with them. ''

an article about jake and senecca:

CLEVELAND -- Browns coach Eric Mangini stopped short of naming Jake Delhomme the starting quarterback heading into training camp, saying Delhomme and Seneca Wallace will both work with the first-team.

"We're heading in that direction (with Delhomme as the starter), but we'll head into camp and see what happens,'' said Mangini. "Jake has looked good, but Seneca's done a really nice job too. They'll both get work with the ones. It's good to have this situation.''

He said he's not just saying this to gain a competitive advantage.

"It's just both of those guys are going to work with (the ones) and I want to see what happens,'' said Mangini. "It's not anything other than that. I just want to see how it goes. I really like what (Delhomme's) done though. I've really liked a lot of what he's done. And I've liked what Seneca's done. I just want to see a little bit more before we do that..''

He said the two will get an equal amount of reps, but not necessarily with the first team. He also said this situation shouldn't be compared to last year, when Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson split the reps in camp.

["Last season was last season,'' said Mangini. "It's worked for these guys and I'm happy with them. '']

translation-new season,new QB's,same BS at QB position!

translation-new season,new QB's,same BS at QB position!

"We're heading in that direction (with Delhomme as the starter), but we'll head into camp and see what happens,'' said Mangini.

I just want to see a little bit more before we do that (edit: name a starter).''

"Last season was last season,'' said Mangini. "It's worked for these guys and I'm happy with them. ''

mangini said both qbs will get equal reps, but not necessarily with the first team. delhomme has been getting the bulk of the reps with the first team. mangini said he wanted to see a little more before he NAMES a starter. that doesn't mean both qbs are getting the same amount of reps with the first team like bq and da did last season. neither does it mean this will extend into the pre-season games where they'll rotate jake and senecca with the first team (like they did with bq and da). delhomme is basically the starter now, it just hasn't been made official.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...p_notebook.html

well, look who's back! and i love his dedication to the team.

Hillis returns: Running back Peyton Hillis returned to the team Saturday after missing all of minicamp and the final two OTA sessions with a cold and flu-like virus, but stood on the sidelines and didn't practice.

"I just flew in [Friday] night so they just wanted me to be around my teammates and help cheer them on," said Hillis. "Since I missed a week and a half, I'm going to stay here a little bit and work out, make sure everything's right with me before I head back home for the summer."

Hillis said he lost seven or eight pounds, but that he's confident he'll put it back on in a few weeks. He's also not worried about it being too big a setback.

"Anytime you're not around the team and not with the guys it's tough, but I stayed in my playbook and on the computer, keeping up with the installs," he said. "I've got a month and half before camp, and I know I'm good enough to play and compete."

________________________________________________________________________________

i like how mangini gives the guys a break every now and then.

Schaefering saves day: Second-year defensive lineman Brian Schaefering (6-4, 295) was the hero of the day when he heaved the ball at least 65 yards through the narrow uprights to get the Browns off the practice field early. As he trotted off, he said, "See, I should be a quarterback!"

Said Eric Mangini: "There was no run-up, nothing, just chuck it. He's got a gun. Maybe we'll use him for like the last play. The last play from the minus 20."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....about_holm.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- On minicamps, the town's busiest front office and young faces at the ballpark, Terry Pluto's talkin' ...

About the Browns ...

1. I talked to Mike Holmgren earlier this week about how the Browns decided to pick their quarterback. The Browns president said he informed the coaching staff that he'd make the final decision. But it would only come after some in-depth study of Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. The first question was, "Can the Browns win with either guy?"

2. Holmgren talked to Eric Mangini, who gave his opinions on both men. It was obvious by how Mangini switched from Quinn to Anderson to Quinn that he wasn't committed to either one. But the coach also made it clear that he was open to anything Holmgren thought was best, as he wasn't sure what was the best road to take on the quarterback question.

3. After Mangini, Holmgren talked to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, quarterback coach Carl Smith and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "I checked with a couple of defensive coaches because I wanted their perspective," said Holmgren. "It can be different than the offensive coaches."

4. He also gave videos of both quarterbacks to his assistants, Gil Haskell and Keith Gilbertson. Both were on Holmgren's staff in Seattle. Haskell is Holmgren's special assistant, Gilbertson is the Browns' director of pro personnel. They were told not to consult with each other, and to prepare written reports on the quarterbacks.

5. Holmgren also studied the videos: "Part of me wanted to roll up my sleeves, dive up and try it again with Quinn," he said. "I have to be careful, because I sometimes think I can fix anyone. We may have done that if Jake [Delhomme] had not become available."

6. Holmgren's football people believed the Browns had several issues. Neither QB was an accurate passer. Neither had the full confidence of the team. Both were younger players trying to establish themselves, and neither was able to emerge as a leader. Neither was considered a star in the making. Anderson ($7.5 million) was viewed as way too expensive.

7. So Anderson was released. When Delhomme was cut by Carolina, Holmgren decided to trade Quinn to Denver for Peyton Hillis and a future draft pick. Holmgren said, "You need to stagger your quarterback situation -- everyone knowing who is the starter, who is the backup. That wasn't the case here. One guy was a fan favorite [Quinn], the other had a good year [Anderson in 2007]. Everyone was divided on who should start, and the opinions would change. You can't have that."

8. "The consensus was we desperately needed a leader," said Holmgren. "After talking to Jake, I knew that he was the guy who could change the attitude in the building."

9. Holmgren knew Delhomme was coming off a terrible year in Carolina with 18 interceptions, four fumbles and only eight TD passes in 11 games. "I looked him in the eye," Holmgren said. "We talked about what happened last season, and it was an awful year for him. But I believe it's an aberration. He never came close to being that bad in any other season."

10. Before signing Delhomme, Holmgren tried to trade for Donovan McNabb. But at that point, the Eagles wanted a first-round pick and more. They also didn't seem committed to trading him. That would change later, as McNabb would be shipped to Washington for a second-rounder and another future pick. But Holmgren wasn't willing to wait.

11. While Delhomme received a contract worth about $7 million guaranteed, Holmgren decided the 35-year-old was worth it. The Browns didn't have to give up any draft picks or players. They needed to add talent. Delhomme only cost them money and salary cap space.

12. Holmgren also added Seneca Wallace, who was drafted by Holmgren in 2003 and started 14 games as a backup in Seattle. Holmgren compares Wallace to a relief pitcher. "He can get ready to go in quick. He doesn't need a lot of reps in practice. He's a tough guy, an accurate passer, much better than people think. He can beat you running the ball."

13. The Browns using a variety of WildDawg packages is not a decoy. "It's going to be a part of our offensive with Josh [Cribbs] and Seneca," said Holmgren. "We have two guys who can run and throw, we should take advantage of that."

14. While Holmgren said he talks to Mangini "nearly every day" and the coach does ask his opinion, "It's Eric team. I make suggestions." It's the same with Haskell, who spends a lot of time with Daboll, discussing offense. The idea is not to have a "West Coast offense" or a "New England" style offense, but an offense that fits the talent.

15. Holmgren said the final decision to trade Quinn, cut Anderson and to start Delhomme "is all on me." He said both Delhomme and Wallace "are quarterbacks who can help you win the game, if you need it. They can make some plays."

1. I talked to Mike Holmgren earlier this week about how the Browns decided to pick their quarterback. The Browns president said he informed the coaching staff that he'd make the final decision. But it would only come after some in-depth study of Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. The first question was, "Can the Browns win with either guy?"

2. Holmgren talked to Eric Mangini, who gave his opinions on both men. It was obvious by how Mangini switched from Quinn to Anderson to Quinn that he wasn't committed to either one. But the coach also made it clear that he was open to anything Holmgren thought was best, as he wasn't sure what was the best road to take on the quarterback question.

3. After Mangini, Holmgren talked to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, quarterback coach Carl Smith and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. "I checked with a couple of defensive coaches because I wanted their perspective," said Holmgren. "It can be different than the offensive coaches."

4. He also gave videos of both quarterbacks to his assistants, Gil Haskell and Keith Gilbertson. Both were on Holmgren's staff in Seattle. Haskell is Holmgren's special assistant, Gilbertson is the Browns' director of pro personnel. They were told not to consult with each other, and to prepare written reports on the quarterbacks.

5. Holmgren also studied the videos: "Part of me wanted to roll up my sleeves, dive up and try it again with Quinn," he said. "I have to be careful, because I sometimes think I can fix anyone. We may have done that if Jake [Delhomme] had not become available."

6. Holmgren's football people believed the Browns had several issues. Neither QB was an accurate passer. Neither had the full confidence of the team. Both were younger players trying to establish themselves, and neither was able to emerge as a leader. Neither was considered a star in the making. Anderson ($7.5 million) was viewed as way too expensive.

7. So Anderson was released. When Delhomme was cut by Carolina, Holmgren decided to trade Quinn to Denver for Peyton Hillis and a future draft pick. Holmgren said, "You need to stagger your quarterback situation -- everyone knowing who is the starter, who is the backup. That wasn't the case here. One guy was a fan favorite [Quinn], the other had a good year [Anderson in 2007]. Everyone was divided on who should start, and the opinions would change. You can't have that."

info like this is why i'm more and more optimistic for the future of the browns. in the past, alot of us have been optimistic as a result of estimations, guestimations (lol), hypothetical situations in regards to the unknown. we thought people like policy, butch, rac, phil, etc. would come in and be the ones to turn the browns into winners. but these people were untested in the positions they took on when they came to cleveland. they had no experience in their respective fields they were hired for (by the browns). we always assumed they would do well since they had success in their lesser positions with the winning orginaizations they came from.

which is why there's a reason to be optimistic now. if you take this present browns fo and compare it to those of the past, there's no comparison. compare holmgren, his resume and how he runs things in berea now, then compare it to those who held the browns prez position before him. compare heckert, his resume and how he handles the gm position to those who have held the browns gm position before him. from top to borttom list the browns front office and then list those who have held their positions in the past and honestly ask yourself, is there any previous browns fo who can compare to the 2010 browns fo?

i really like how the present browns fo are doing things and this, my friends, is a reason for being optimistic. not cockiness, arrogance or being unrealistic, just optimism.

Archived