THE BROWNS BOARD

Carlos Santana has arrived

Chris.

Should play against Strasburg, dang. Marson to Columbus.

Santana, a switch-hitting slugger who is one of the more hyped Tribe prospects in recent memory, is joining the Indians in time for the weekend series against the Nationals. He has been promoted from Triple-A Columbus, which is where Lou Marson is headed

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...own_goes_m.html

Although I am glad to see Santana come up and take control behind the dish, I'm a little sad to see Marson leave. He wasn't great, but he was solid. He wasn't really a disapointment like Marte or Valbuena. He didn't really do anything to lose games either. Unfortunately for him, he was never really going to be given a chance to be a contributing playe unless he hit .330. We all knew he was a stop gap before Santana got here. Thank you Lou for givin it your best. It was much appreciated.

Meh, even a .330 OBP from Marson would've made it interesting, maybe it would be Redmond as the man out. It was fun seeing him do his Pudge impression throwing everyone out though. But once he finds his groove in Columbus he'll probably be back up to showcase himself.

Maybe a mini-platoon with Marson against lefties and Santana against righties....but I'm sure they want Santana getting as many ABs as possible. We'll see.

Fun times.

An observation from last nights game, Marson seems to drop alot of balls that poop out of his glove. The umpire looked scared to be behind homeplate.

I'm excited to see Santana tonight now If we can just give up on Hafner and take the financial hit and let a guy like LaPorta fill in and get every day at bats. We might develop a new core team that can make us contenders again. I mean really is there a worse DH in the league than Hafner

An observation from last nights game, Marson seems to drop alot of balls that poop out of his glove. The umpire looked scared to be behind homeplate.

I'm excited to see Santana tonight now If we can just give up on Hafner and take the financial hit and let a guy like LaPorta fill in and get every day at bats. We might develop a new core team that can make us contenders again. I mean really is there a worse DH in the league than Hafner

Yeah, Marson's been pretty inconsistent in terms of just catching the ball all year. But he's completely shut down the running game...which is one of Santana's biggest problems.

As for the DH...there's not a chance they just cut bait with Hafner with all the money still tied up in him. I'm fine with LaPorta finding his comfort zone again in Columbus while Kearns (.907 OPS) and/or Branyan (.847 OPS against righties) keep upping their trade value. I'd have to think by the trade deadline LaPorta and Brantley will be back in the 1B/LF spots getting some regular playing time to see what the future holds.

Holy shit its Victor 2.0, same batting stance same number same position. We can only hope so..lol

These guys know how to pick numbers. Santana wearing Victor's, Droob wearing Omar's, Redmond wearing....CC's.

And a few more. Pretty good stuff.

By John Barone / MLB.com

06/12/10 12:52 AM ET

CLEVELAND -- As the Indians filtered back into their clubhouse after taking batting practice Friday afternoon, one player glanced over at the assembled media in the Tribe dugout and belted out an announcement.

"Carlos Santana press conference!" he shouted.

It's not every day that a rookie holds court with reporters before making his Major League debut. Then again, not every player is Santana, Cleveland's heralded catching prospect who was called up prior to the Indians' 7-2 win over the Nationals on Friday night at Progressive Field.

Indians manager Manny Acta inserted Santana into the No. 3 spot of his starting lineup, making the 24-year-old the first Tribe player to debut hitting third since Jim Norris in 1977, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"Any time you get a chance to bring up the top prospect in your organization, it's a huge lift," Cleveland general manager Mark Shapiro said. "It's a great day for the fans, for the Indians and for Carlos Santana.

"He's as ready as any guy we've ever brought up."

Santana finished 0-for-3 with a walk and run scored, but he made his presence felt defensively, gunning down leadoff man Nyjer Morgan trying to steal second base in the top of the first inning.

"I felt good," Santana said. "Unfortunately, it didn't pan out the way I wanted offensively, but all that matters is we won the ballgame."

The Nationals wasted no time testing the youngster known more for his bat than his defense. Santana then introduced them to his powerful throwing arm.

"At first I was like, 'Wow,'" Santana said through interpreter Ruben Niebla. "But I knew this team liked to run, so I was ready. I felt prepared."

Indians starter Jake Westbrook appreciated Santana's effort, as the Nats followed with a pair of doubles that produced a run.

"That was huge," Westbrook said. "I gave up three straight hits. If he doesn't throw that guy out, it's 2-0. For him to do that is good for the confidence of him and this team."

Westbrook had no qualms about throwing to the rookie.

"He was great back there," Westbrook said. "He did a good job between innings, too, talking to me about the hitters. He's learning and he wants to learn. It's fun to see."

Acta had no complaints either.

"We were very impressed," Acta said. "There's a lot of baseball left, but we like what we saw."

After tearing up the International League with Triple-A Columbus for the past two-plus months, Santana could finally call himself a Major Leaguer on Friday.

"I'm very happy to be here," the Dominican Republic native said before the game. "Ever since I was a young man, I dreamed of playing in the big leagues. I want to thank God for this opportunity, and the fans for all of their support."

Many of those supporters had clamored for Santana's promotion for quite some time, as he hit .316 with 13 home runs and 51 RBIs, while posting a 1.044 OPS in 56 games with the Clippers this season. Now, Tribe fans will have the opportunity to watch Santana settle into his new role as the Indians' primary catcher.

"We're happy to have him," Acta said. "He has a chance to be a very good hitter at this level. He's a middle-of-the-order bat who is going to be a big part of our team."

Santana learned of his callup from Columbus manager Mike Sarbaugh on Thursday, and made a special phone call shortly thereafter.

"The first person I talked to was my mom," Santana said. "She is someone who has always supported me."

Needless to say, the Cleveland organization has high hopes for the switch-hitting slugger.

"We have some pieces in place here, and he's part of the next wave," Acta said. "He's going to be our everyday guy. Carlos is here to stay."

Holy shit its Victor 2.0, same batting stance same number same position. We can only hope so..lol

Hopefully we won't trade Carlos to the red sox. He did a great job with the running game last night and he is sorta fast. I think the number 3 hole for Santana isn't good. Can Carlos play 1B like Victor can?

Man I hope the game doesnt get rained out today, Strausburg (sp.) on the mound Santana coming off a great game. Indians on a 4 game winning streak, Im getting more excited everyday. And Huff's on the mound, my favorite pitcher from last year. Havent seen him pitch this year, hows he doin?

AND WHERE THE HELL'S BEANPOT AT

• 1 month later...

Archived