THE BROWNS BOARD

All 5 of the Browns rfas have signed their tenders

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ricted_fre.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- All five Browns restricted free agents signed their one-year tender offers today, a league source told the Plain Dealer.

They are D'Qwell Jackson, Jerome Harrison, Matt Roth, Abe Elam and Lawrence Vickers.

All four but Roth received second-round tenders worth $1.759 million. Roth's is $1.809 million because he had five accrued seasons instead of four. The players had until 11:59 p.m. tonight to sign or they would've had their offers reduced to 10 percent of their 2009 base salaries.

In the case of all but Elam, they would have lost at least $1 million for the year.

Jackson said in a text message, "I'm just ready to play ball again regardless of the circumstances.''

Details to follow.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...well_jac_3.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson signed his one-year tender today, his agent Brian Mackler told the Plain Dealer.

"D'Qwell was ready to get on with the season and let his play dictate his value,'' said Mackler. "D'Qwell is healthy and looking forward to having a Pro Bowl-caliber season. He feels the defense has a chance to be really good this season and he's excited to get back on the field.''

Jackson's second-round tender was worth $1.759 million. He and the other restricted free agents received a letter from the Browns saying they would reduce the offers to 10% above their 2009 base salary if they didn't sign them by tonight's 11:59 p.m deadline. Jackson and three of the others stood to lose $1 million each by not signing.

"We made the decision independently to do this,'' said Mackler. "We don't know what the others have decided. The Browns have the tender.''

Jackson left this morning for Africa, where he's helping a friend open a school for underprivileged children. He'll be back in two weeks and ready for training camp at the end of July.

the updated article:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns' hardball strategy of warning their restricted free agents in writing last week that their offers would be reduced if they didn't sign by Tuesday's deadline worked, with all five signing their tender offers by Monday.

It doesn't mean they're all happy, but they're all under contract for the 2010 season. They are linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth, running back Jerome Harrison, fullback Lawrence Vickers, and safety Abe Elam.

All but Roth received second-round tenders worth $1.759 million because they have four accrued seasons. Roth, who has five, received the second-round tender of $1.801 million.

Had they not signed the tenders, their offers would've been reduced to 10 percent above their 2009 base salaries -- more than $1 million less for four of the five. Elam stood to lose the least, with a reduction to $1.65 million -- only about $100,000.

The others would've received the following: Jackson $704,000, Vickers $589,000, Harrison $593,000, and Roth.

Jackson was on his way to Sierra Leone, Africa yesterday to help his friend Madieu Williams of the Vikings open his school for the underprivileged and will be gone for two weeks. He said in a text, "I'm just ready to play ball again regardless of my circumstances."

His agent, Brian Mackler, was unhappy with the tactic on Friday, saying, "That letter has no positive effect on this situation," and "this will not sit well with D'Qwell."

But Monday, Mackler seemed resigned to Jackson playing out the tender if it comes to that. The Browns have also said they might consider extensions for the some of the former RFAs.

"D'Qwell was ready to get on with the season and let his play dictate his value," said Mackler. "D'Qwell is healthy and looking forward to having a Pro Bowl-caliber season. He feels the defense has a chance to be really good this season and he's excited to get back on the field."

Mackler said Jackson will not hold out of training camp for a new deal, which could cost a player up to $16,000 in fines per day.

None of the other agents or players were available and the Browns declined a request for comment. But high-profile agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents three of the newly-signed players -- Elam, Roth and Vickers -- made it clear to Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal this week that the situation will make for some disgruntled campers.

"Every team in the NFL I can think of has a number of unhappy players," Rosenhaus told Mullen. "I don't think anyone who waits until June to sign a contract because there is a gun to his head is going to be happy."

He also cautioned that it could translate to the field.

"Players are not machines. They are human beings and they have emotions and it affects their performance. When you go to work and you are not happy, you don't perform as well."

It remains to be seen if any of the Rosenhaus trio will hold out of camp for a long-term deal. Vickers participated in some organized team activities and the full-squad minicamp, which means he's the most likely of the three to be on time for training camp.

Roth, claimed via waivers from the Dolphins last November, has asked to be traded. He is seeking a yearly average worth up to three times more than what he's making, a league source said. Heckert has said he will not trade Roth, who had four sacks in his six games with the Browns.

Elam, who said on his Web site that he's weighing his options, is also believed to be seeking a lucrative multi-year deal.

The Browns knew they were taking a calculated risk by sending the letter, with General Manager Tom Heckert telling the Plain Dealer last month, "nobody wants to go down that road because it brings bad blood. At the same time, we want the guys in here. I've talked to most of the [RFAs], or their agents. We're not in negotiations with any of them. But to say we won't do an extension, that's not the case, either."

If the hard feelings subside and the players get back to playing good football, the Browns can benefit greatly. Harrison rushed for 561 yards in the final three games of last season, and Vickers blasted open holes for many of those yards. Jackson, coming off surgery in October to repair a torn pectoral muscle, led the NFL with 188 tackles in 2008 and has been working out relentlessly this off-season.

"I'm setting the bar really high for myself," he said. "I don't think I've even come close to what I'm capable of yet."

the updated article:

Had they not signed the tenders, their offers would've been reduced to 10 percent above their 2009 base salaries -- more than $1 million less for four of the five. Elam stood to lose the least, with a reduction to $1.65 million -- only about $100,000.

The others would've received the following: Jackson $704,000, Vickers $589,000, Harrison $593,000, and Roth.

His agent, Brian Mackler, was unhappy with the tactic on Friday, saying, "That letter has no positive effect on this situation," and "this will not sit well with D'Qwell."

Mackler said Jackson will not hold out of training camp for a new deal, which could cost a player up to $16,000 in fines per day.

None of the other agents or players were available and the Browns declined a request for comment. But high-profile agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents three of the newly-signed players -- Elam, Roth and Vickers -- made it clear to Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal this week that the situation will make for some disgruntled campers.

"Every team in the NFL I can think of has a number of unhappy players," Rosenhaus told Mullen. "I don't think anyone who waits until June to sign a contract because there is a gun to his head is going to be happy."

"Players are not machines. They are human beings and they have emotions and it affects their performance. When you go to work and you are not happy, you don't perform as well."

It remains to be seen if any of the Rosenhaus trio will hold out of camp for a long-term deal. Vickers participated in some organized team activities and the full-squad minicamp, which means he's the most likely of the three to be on time for training camp.

There's the problem right there Drew Rosenhaus. Thanks for giving your clients really lousy advice. Only in your $$$$ centric world did you think you could finagle long term contracts with big signing bonuses for marginal players when the CBA is up after this year, and NO ONE, including you knows what the financial landscape of the NFL will be like in 2011- assuming there even is a season.

And if your guys hold out or play sub par, it only seriously hurts their FA market value next year- so your veiled threats carry absolutely no weight whatsoever.

Do to the current economic times, players dont get any sympathy from the fans when they are holding out for more money.

I'm glad all of them signed, it will be good when Cribbs decides to take the offer that he was given.

i think drew is just letting the spoiled crybaby in him speak. no way in hell does a business man like drew let his players play like crap for any reason. that would hurt them at the negotiation table for a new contract. drew likes getting paid, so i'm going to disregard his comment.

Every team in the NFL I can think of has a number of unhappy players," Rosenhaus told Mullen. "I don't think anyone who waits until June to sign a contract because there is a gun to his head is going to be happy."

This babbling baboon could only wish for this kind of thing..its not like these guys are being underpaid and many players would play for love of the game...he makes his clients look as greedy as he is..

Its this idiot rosenhaus and his ill willed kind that have upped the ante for unproven and rookie talent and are going to ruin the sport if the owners dont deal them and the union a blow..the inmates are running the prison these days..

And it hurts the whole sport from the fans to the proven 6 year veteran players that dont get what they deserve because the new untested WR/QB costed the teams cap an arm and a leg...

Im not anti union or anti-player but i believe the pay scale should be based off of performance not just potential...and by the same token i believe the nfl should have an obligation to pay and care for players whose careers are cut short by injury or accumulated injuries on the field...

Hey, as i stated before, if these guys go out and play well and have amazing seasons, they'll have the Browns RIGHT where they want them, behind the 8 ball and in a position of strength. It stinks for Drew and them they lost a lot of their leverage with the offseason moves we made but those are the breaks.

That unhappy comment was pretty damn funny too. I'd love to be unhappy with 1.7 mil. Amazing the stupid crap which comes out of these agents mouths sometimes.

This babbling baboon could only wish for this kind of thing..its not like these guys are being underpaid and many players would play for love of the game...he makes his clients look as greedy as he is..

Its this idiot rosenhaus and his ill willed kind that have upped the ante for unproven and rookie talent and are going to ruin the sport if the owners dont deal them and the union a blow..the inmates are running the prison these days..

And it hurts the whole sport from the fans to the proven 6 year veteran players that dont get what they deserve because the new untested WR/QB costed the teams cap an arm and a leg...

Im not anti union or anti-player but i believe the pay scale should be based off of performance not just potential...and by the same token i believe the nfl should have an obligation to pay and care for players whose careers are cut short by injury or accumulated injuries on the field...

you brought up some very good points. the ones that i highlighted make a whole lot of sense. it's really messed up that vets get pushed to the side for the new "hot" commodity based on potential and players should definitely be taken care of in regards to having their careers cut short while playing in the nfl.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....n_lawrence.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If you're a Browns fan, you should be very happy with Jerome Harrison and Lawrence Vickers.

Those two restricted free agents were smart enough to show up for most of the voluntary off-season OTAs and last week's mandatory minicamp. They delivered this strong message to their teammates and coaches: We aren't happy with our contracts, but we believe in what the team is doing.

Neither displayed a sense of entitlement. Both understood that nothing is guaranteed for them, despite a strong finish to last season. Harrison rushed for a stunning 561 yards in the final three games. Vickers was a powerful fullback whose blocks opened some of those holes for Harrison.

They were among the five restricted free agents signed their contracts Monday -- a day before their offers could be reduced by 10 percent. All five had to know it could come to this point -- where they'd be facing a take it or leave it offer.

The question is why didn't Abe Elam, Matt Roth and D'Qwell Jackson take the same path as Harrison and Vickers?

They signed a type of insurance form and showed up for at least some of the OTAs and minicamps. Even wiser was Jason Trusnik, the Nordonia product who signed his $1.7 million offer a few months ago. He realized the key word in restricted free agent is "restricted."

That means you ain't going anywhere, because the Browns could match any offer you receive. Because the Browns had the right to match any offer ... well ... there would be no offers.

So sign the one-year deal, have a good year and then cash in when you're unrestricted and teams could freely bid for you. That's how it works. In the meantime, all are being paid about $1.7 million.

If you're Elam, didn't you notice that the Browns drafted not one, but two safeties? That happens to be your position. You also are playing for a coach in Eric Mangini who is one of your biggest supporters.

Abe, you should have been in camp. You're not good enough to hold out. You were cut twice before Mangini signed you with the Jets. You had 17 career starts before Mangini brought you to the Browns last season.

You are a guy who will always have to battle to stay in the lineup.

If you're Roth, you played a grand total of six games after the Browns picked you off waivers. That's right, you were cut by Miami, claimed by the Browns.

Yes, there were four sacks in six games. But Matt, six games doesn't make a career. Your agent's trade quest was silly.

The Browns signed two veteran linebackers in Scott Fujita and Chris Gocong. You started 23 games in your first four years with Miami. That doesn't make you another Jim Houston or Clay Matthews.

If you're Jackson, it is easy to believe you deserve a new deal because you've started 48 games for the Browns. The problem is you played only six last season, and then went down with an injury.

D'Qwell, the truth is the Browns looked stronger at inside linebacker when David Bowens took your spot leading the defense. You are a solid player, but there's a reason the Browns added Fujita and Gocong. They needed to improve at the position.

There are now rumbles that some of these guys may not show up for the start of training camp later this summer. Don't even think about that.

None of this is to attack the character of Elam, Jackson and Roth. But it is to question their judgment, and especially their agents. These guys still have a lot to prove in their pro careers, and they need to be on the field to do it.

Archived