THE BROWNS BOARD

Suggs

We need Tom Tupa

He fits the 3-4 that we've been running, he fits the 4-3 this board wants to run, and he's only 26. We know exactly what he can do, we know he can play in multiple systems, and we know his health history. He's a home run.

He has only 6.5 sacks this year, but that would make him a star on this team, and he leads the league with 9 stuffs. There isnt a better option available, and he would be near the top of the list even if we had our pick of the league, IMO. Bring him in. One less hole come draft day.

I beleive i had the same wuesion on a different thread and mz the pussy shot it down!

But i agree he is a great fit and would help the defence gain atitude!

We can clear up cap room with the release of Lewis, DA, Davis, McGennist, and many others!

Lets bring him in .... go and get him Marty!

I beleive i had the same wuesion on a different thread and mz the pussy shot it down!

But i agree he is a great fit and would help the defence gain atitude!

We can clear up cap room with the release of Lewis, DA, Davis, McGennist, and many others!

Lets bring him in .... go and get him Marty!

Compl agree with the above referenced cuts; that would clear up some good cap space

the only question is whether he can be effective in a defense where he's the guy the offense is trying to stop.

baltimore has so many weapons on D that he's another cog in a machine. we don't know if he can be the machine.

this is the same argument I have against the USC defensive players. They are good...but each of them seem to have a weakness that is masked by playing with other good players.

I like to see guys who are standouts and game changers on teams that AREN'T good.

So you think USC has better dlinemen than shawn Rodgers?

Bart scott would perform nect to rodgers and Williams?

Mualuga wouldn't be able to play next to Jackson?

If those are your concerns than we might as well not draft anyone becasue the same rules would apply to a lesser player!

Stop being stupid that is a stacked front 7 up there!

If those are your concerns than we might as well not draft anyone becasue the same rules would apply to a lesser player!

Mualuga (sp?) is a Hell of alot better than Davis' sorry ass

Wow...a little confrontational are we???

NO, that is not what I was saying. I think Suggs, as someone pointed out, is benefitting to a certain degree from playing next to Ray Lewis and Ed Reed...not to mention Ngata. These players are the ones the defenses key on...which then allows Suggs to run free...and still he has only 6.5 sacks.

As for Suggs playing next to DQ...I don't think that would necessarily be the best pairing.

Maualuga has a S that is known for his tackling and run support...and an OLB that has superior coverage skills. That frees him to be a downhill slobberknocker...and not be concerned with the occasional missed tackle or covering TE's/slot receivers over the middle....which is where the hole in his game lies. He tries for the BIG HIT all the time which causes him to over pursue....and he has limited coverage skills.

I prefer going the route of say Curry in round 1...an all around player know for BOTH his tackling AND his coverage skills...although not as HYPED as Maualuga. I also like Chung from Oregon at S...who is again an OVERALL player with excellent coverage AND tackling skills in round 2. This would shore up a lot. There is a guy I just put up on the draft thread...Jasper Brinkley...who has Maualuga's size and hitting ability...and runs about the same speed. He is coming off a knee injury in 2007...but seems to be back. I think a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd round (via trade) would be an ideal fit with the other 2 I just mentioned.

Just saying...sometimes you need to look beyond gaudy stats and big school reputation to find the talent.

Guest Aloysius

If we switched to a 4-3, he'd play the same spot as Wimbley (RE). Not sure if that'd be an issue or not.

And I'd second JewDago & WPB's concerns about him being a product of the system. It concerns me that he only had 5 sacks last season when the Ravens D was bad, and he's only got 6.5 this year when the Ravens D has been dominant.

Still much better numbers than any of the OLB's we currently have, but I'm not sure they warrant paying the guy elite-level money.

I do like Suggs AS A PLAYER.

It's whether we have the $/cap space to spend big in Free Agency yet again, whether we have the desire to either switch schemes or invest more $ into an end, or even if Suggs would leave his situation in BAL to come here that I question.

I do like Suggs AS A PLAYER.

It's whether we have the $/cap space to spend big in Free Agency yet again, whether we have the desire to either switch schemes or invest more $ into an end, or even if Suggs would leave his situation in BAL to come here that I question.

I'm assuming cap space is manageable. As for whether he would come, I would expect that to depend alot on the coaching situation. I think we really need to iron that out as soon as possible if we want to be fully prepared for free agency and the draft.

Do you see us having another shot at someone as good as him in the next 2-3 years?

Personally, if we think DE is a place we need to upgrade, I'd rather draft Orakpo.

I think we really need to iron that out as soon as possible if we want to be fully prepared for free agency and the draft.

Couldn't agree more. Nobody wants to walk into an undefined situation, especially via Free Agency.

Guess it all comes down to who you prefer at #8. If we could get Curry (or maybe Maualuga or Mays, I'm undecided on those guys over a guy like Orapko) at 8, then I'd agree with you. Problem is, Curry will probably be gone, and I think Orapko is the next BPA, as like I said I'm unsure about Rey or Mays...

Curry and Crowder are my preferences....but if Curry is gone...Orakpo and Crowder would be fine. Then pick up Chung in rd 2 and try to get Jasper Brinkley (see Rey Maualuga minus the hype).

We will have some cap problems. We spent a lot on Rogers, Williams and Stallworth last year. Jones is a FA and we have some guaranteed contracts that will cost us if we dumps some of these bums.

But, I would love Suggs

We had cap left after last offseason, with room reserved for KW and BE which I doubt they will be getting access to after the season theyve had. We free up almost $7 million if DA is gone by March. Then there is the normal few million in roster turnover. We can also renogotiate a couple contracts if need be (JLewis comes to mind).

With potential for a cap free 2010, Suggs could also be looking at a deal structured to hit big after year 1.

stallworth's gone. don't have to worry about that deal anymore.

the best thing about BE's slump is we might be able to knock some dollars off his deal b/c we're sticking with him through a rough patch.

and i think lewis is definitely gone. he'll have his deal altered at the very least so he won't hurt our cap nearly as much.

stallworth's gone. don't have to worry about that deal anymore.

the best thing about BE's slump is we might be able to knock some dollars off his deal b/c we're sticking with him through a rough patch.

and i think lewis is definitely gone. he'll have his deal altered at the very least so he won't hurt our cap nearly as much.

The way this team has played there better be more than few willing to play for less. Anyway of making RAC work off his salary in a different posotion than head coach? Like maybe locker room assistant.

The way this team has played there better be more than few willing to play for less. Anyway of making RAC work off his salary in a different posotion than head coach? Like maybe locker room assistant.

The Vikings could have used him as their towel boy yesterday as the owner was giving his victory speech in the locker room.

Archived