THE BROWNS BOARD

Marty responds to report

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/08/...-browns-report/

Former Browns/Chiefs/Redskins/Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer responded on Monday to an ESPN report linking him to the looming vacancy in Cleveland.

During an interview with Adam Schein of Sirius NFL Radio, Schottenheimer said, ”I don’t ever say ‘never’ if I don’t have to but I don’t see it as being likely. . . . I really don’t. I’ve made a major change in my life and, again, the only thing I always say, Adam, as a caveat, I don’t ever make a decision if I don’t have to and thus I haven’t made one.”

If Schottenheimer returns to the game, he might be doing it in part to wash the bad taste of his most recent experience out of his mouth. “That was an anomaly,” he said of his tenure with the Chargers, which saw him fired after a 14-2 season. “That was an aberration. That was particular to the organization. . . . My issues in San Diego were because of the people in the front office that I could not interact with.”

Schottenheimer also said that he doesn’t need complete control over the roster, although in our view it was the lack of such control that set the stage for his troubles with Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith.

And Schottenheimer wouldn’t rule out assuming a Bill Parcells-type role, possibly in a situation that would allow him to work with protege Bill Cowher.

“Bill and I have remained very very close friends throughout our NFL careers and it goes back to when he was a player and I was an assistant,” Schottenheimer said. “I would be less than candid if I didn’t say that that is, at the very least, intriguing. But there are so many movable parts there it would be like a Rubik’s cube.”

Sure this is what he's going to say. 1. He's at a point in life were he probably doesn't need another job and thus 2. Why lobby for it, or rule it out, when its just too early to tell and there's nothing on the table yet.

To me it sound like he's willing to listen, and that's about the maximum you can expect at this point.

A Cowher/Marty combo? I don't see how that could possibly go wrong, especially if what he says about them being friends is true.

Yinz will ruin them, just like yinz ruined your last handful of coaches.

Belicheat was just smart enough to get out when the getting was good.

Regards

..... an'at

Is it just me or does Steeler SChuck come across as one of the most pathetic people you have ever met.

How sad that he just can't be happy that his Steelers are a good team and the Browns suck!

We know that but dude, really?

Get a life!

Is it just me or does Steeler SChuck come across as one of the most pathetic people you have ever met.

How sad that he just can't be happy that his Steelers are a good team and the Browns suck!

We know that but dude, really?

Get a life!

He is a tool; posts on a ton of other team message sites....do not respond; ignore is a sweet thing

Jim Donavan's entire Channel 3 sportscast was devoted to the Browns HC search. He said that Cowher will be contacted and is at the top of the list. If that doesn't work out, then Marty will be next. He said that Marty could be hired at half the price of Bill, and with less conditions.

He characterized the chances of the Browns contacting Bill first as a certainty.

Put me in the minority on this board. I do NOT want Marty back as a coach. I do NOT want Marty back

as a GM.I like the guy and he had a great run when he was here earlier in his life.

Let's face some facts here. First of all the man will be 66 years old next September. Do we really want a

guy here who is a short-termer?? He will try the win now strategy at all costs since he knows he won't be

here that long. That's all well and good but if you don't win now you destroy the team for many years into

the future. Outside of George Halas has there ever been a coach that old in the NFL???

Marty will get you to the altar but he won't get you married.He WILL improve this team if he does get

the head coaching job-- maybe into the playoffs.But will he ever get you a championship?? I don't think

so. How many times has he choked (I hate that term with him but...) in the past. It got so bad with him

that the Chargers took away his ability to call plays or even simple timeouts. (I know he had issues

with the GM etc.).

I for one simply don't want to go to the playoffs. I want to win championships. I DON'T want Marty.

If you take into account all the Browns COULD have capitalized on this year with all those primetime game spots, then how they actually dropped the ball (literally) more than any team that has been given those oportunities, from a business perspective, Lerner would be a fool NOT to go overboard with his oprganization. Marty and Cowher would be the talk of the NFL, even for a team that sucks this bad. The spotlight would again be on the 'sexiest' team in the NFL even after having one of the worst records in the league in '08. It might only be a short lived combination, just enough to get the Browns back on the map, but it WOULD put them back on the map. If it were a shortlived combination, it would also be enough to jumpstart this program back into playing competitive football again.

I would say Marty and Cowher is a very real option at this point. If the team were anything other than pathetic, it would not, but the support and the bucks will stop flowing into this program from fans, league, etc. (if not already), if they don't do something drastic right now.

How many of us BROWNS FANS don't care to watch OUR team on Sunday right now. They're losing support from even their own fanbase. Additionally, to get any respect from Shitsburg, Baltimore and the rest of the AFC, what else can they do ?

Other teams will be looking for coaches very soon, if not already. They are in a corner where '09 looks as bad as '08 with DA not panning out (and likely traded), Dorsey proving he needs replacing - even as a 3rd string - JL losing his stride, Braylon Edwards, Willie McGinest and Winslow needing to be traded or let go, etc. They need a second AND third QB, RB (or 2), Receivers, Linebackers, etc. The only GOOD news for this team is BQ - who is almost STILL an unknown at this point as a franchise QB - and Big Shawn.

Again, something drastic needs to happen very soon and very fast to keep people paying any attention at all to the Cleveland Browns and as far as any shot at all at a competitive 2009.

Marty and Cowher - Woo Hoo, I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!

The only way I would be happier is if they had Bernie as an offensive coordinator.

Does Don Shula count?? (wasn't he pretty old when he retired?)

Shula WAS pretty old but he RETIRED at 65 and his best coaching years were pretty much

done years before that. Marty will be 66 when he STARTS back when/if he gets the Browns

job.

Apart From Marty and Cowher (If he does decide to come back and that too to Cleveland) What are the realistic headcoaches who will be available for 09 ? Not someone with superbowl rings but someone who took the team to the playoffs ? I know ESPN had some article about it but they i think had co-ordinators and Andy reid also in the picture !

Yinz will ruin them, just like yinz ruined your last handful of coaches.

Belicheat was just smart enough to get out when the getting was good.

Regards

..... an'at

Neither one of those 2 guys will step foot in cleveland unless the price is right and they get exactly what they need to run the team their way i doubt lerner has the balls or would spend the bucks required to get this team playing football again..

Archived