THE BROWNS BOARD

The Albert Haynesworth situation

BrownIndian

Albert Haynesworth(notes) didn’t show. Teammates called him selfish. Now the Washington Redskins want their money back.

The Redskins are going to see if they can recoup all or part of a $21 million bonus from the disgruntled two-time All Pro defensive tackle, an official within the league with knowledge of the deliberations told The Associated Press on Wednesday. The team decided to take the action after Haynesworth failed to report for a mandatory two-day minicamp.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because coach Mike Shanahan declined to make the team’s plans public. But the coach and players had plenty else to say about a player who has collected huge sums of money from the Redskins but has decided he doesn’t want to play for them because he doesn’t like the new defense.

Shanahan also revealed that Haynesworth earlier this year was given the option of freedom or money—and chose money. The coach said he told Haynesworth in February that the Redskins would agree to release him and let him go to another team—in exchange for not paying him the $21 million bonus due April 1.

“Obviously, he took the check,” Shanahan said, “so I was surprised he wasn’t here today. … Don’t take our check and then say that, hey, you don’t want to be part of our organization.”

The Redskins can fine Haynesworth up to $9,442 for missing the minicamp practice, hardly a dent in the money he’s collected from the team for one season’s worth of work. He been paid $32 million of the $41 million guaranteed in the seven-year, $100 million contract he signed as a free agent last year.

Coincidentally, Haynesworth missed a practice that lasted all of 15 minutes, with the players stretching and running 10 100-yard dashes before a thunderstorm cut the session short. The minicamp wraps up Thursday.

Shanahan’s options are limited. He could release Haynesworth, try to trade him, look through the nooks and crannies of contract legalese to see if there’s a way to get some of the bonus money back, or keep him on the roster and force another showdown when training camp opens July 29.

I know this is vindictive & not practical, but....

If I was the owner (knowing I've already blown 21 million), I'd CUT that jerk, take the loss & never pay him another dime! Let him sue! I really feel there needs to be some strong messages sent to some of these guys. I've had working conditions I didn't care for, but I STILL worked. Too bad that big fat baby boy doesn't like the new defense.....poor wittle albert! (please note I didn't capitalize his name-that would show respect).

Mike

If you believe what Shanahan is saying, they told him he could go out and work for a trade prior to April 1st. The trade didn't happen. Then they said they would cut him if he didn't want to commit to playing nose tackle, but if he accepted the $21 million dollar signing bonus, they would expect him to play where they felt he would do the best work.

They would never have given him the $21 million bonus if that tacit agreement weren't in place.

So now after they give him that money, he's being an asshole.

If Haynesworth were released, another decent team might give him a chance in a 4-3 defense and if Haynesworth stars for them, then the Redskins will look stupid for cutting him.

The best thing is to let him sit on the bench for 2/3 years without cutting him. Then cut him. Then, With his age and lack of playing time he is a gonner for sure.

the kid has some kahoonas.......THE highest paided D lineman in the entire solar system has the nerve to say he doesn't LIKE something about his job?....Somebody needs to tell him the facts of life and quick..

4-3, 3-4, 2-11 ,whatever they scheme, just get out there and play....they want you to park cars and clean pubes off the pissers? Make sure your driver's license isn't still suspended and put on your

rubber gloves.....Dumb yourself down, do what the team asks of you to help them win football games and please just STFU

Haynesworth has a point in that he's mad because Dan Snyder promised him they wouldn't switch to a 3 - 4 and they did. That was the main selling point to him is that he'd be able to play in a 4 - 3 and wreak havoc like he did in Tennessee.

However he is going about it in a totally wrong way. If he really wanted out he would have taken the option to be traded or released. He got his $21 million bonus, more money than he should have might I add, he needs to get his ass into camp and help his team instead of bring it down.

Archived