THE BROWNS BOARD

Goodell: NFL no longer needs 4 preseason games

BrownIndian

NEW YORK -Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL no longer needs four preseason games, but the league should change its offseason training programs.

"It's clear the fans don't want four preseason games," Goodell said Thursday after speaking to high school players at an NFL football clinic in Queens. "It's clear the players don't want four preseason games. They tell me that all the time. You ask them that question and they'll tell you. And we really don't need it to make the game better. So we have to evolve just as we did a couple of decades ago when we went from six preseason games to four."

NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February. Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

Players have expressed concerns about an increase in injuries. Goodell suggested adjustments in the offseason programs could alleviate that.

"I think you do have to make changes," he said. "We've been very open about that from Day 1. I think we have to do it regardless."

Players don't have much of a true offseason these days when they can rest and take a break from football. While certain workouts are technically voluntary, they may not feel that way.

"Obviously there's a lot of pressure from teammates and coaches," Goodell said, "so I think we're going to have to have some guidelines and restrictions on what can be done and can't be done in the offseason."

The collective bargaining agreement expires in March, which could lead to a work stoppage during the 2011 season. Goodell said he wasn't concerned about the tone of the back-and-forth between the league and the NFL Players Association.

"This is a negotiation," he said. "You have to have a dialogue about how to make the game better."

With only 2 preseason games your starters are going to play probably a half in the first one and most of the second one. Were is there a chance to evaluate players and get young guys playing time? And Goddell says he's gonna limit what teams can do during the offseason to limit injuries, this is really gonna hurt player developement IMO. I dont like it at all. If you wanna extend the season just add to games, dont take away reps from young guys buy limiting off season practice and taking away preseason games

The problem is the season ticket holders are getting screwed by preseason games. If the 4th preseason is at home, you're paying full freight to see the starters play one series. Those tickets are so worthless, I've seen them being offered on Stubhub for as little as $5. The last time the Browns played the Lions preseason in Detroit I got best seats in the house- 30 yard line, row 30 for $20.

And spare me the injury crap- LeCharles Bentley got permanently taken out on the first play of contact practice. Similar stuff has happened to other teams too.

They make it an 18 game season, there's going to have to be accommodations- like more night games early season. Yum, couple of nice day games in Tampa or Miami the end of August- there's heat stroke waiting to happen. You cant push the season back a couple of weeks either and have the Super Bowl mid February. 3-4 regular season games in Chicago, Cleveland, or Buffalo is a recipe for a snow or freeze-out.

The problem is the season ticket holders are getting screwed by preseason games. If the 4th preseason is at home, you're paying full freight to see the starters play one series. Those tickets are so worthless, I've seen them being offered on Stubhub for as little as $5. The last time the Browns played the Lions preseason in Detroit I got best seats in the house- 30 yard line, row 30 for $20.

And spare me the injury crap- LeCharles Bentley got permanently taken out on the first play of contact practice. Similar stuff has happened to other teams too.

They make it an 18 game season, there's going to have to be accommodations- like more night games early season. Yum, couple of nice day games in Tampa or Miami the end of August- there's heat stroke waiting to happen. You cant push the season back a couple of weeks either and have the Super Bowl mid February. 3-4 regular season games in Chicago, Cleveland, or Buffalo is a recipe for a snow or freeze-out.

In my opinion they have been starting the season too late now for some time. This year the first game isn't until Sept. 12. They should have been starting Labor Day Weekend. Hell, my kids high school team starts its regular season on August 27, which is two whole weeks before the NFL gets started now. If they go to 18 games, they need to start as early as that.

And yea, the major drawback I see would be outdoor games in Tampa/Miami, maybe Houston (do they play outdoor or indoor?) That's alright, just send those teams on the road to Green Bay or Buffalo for a couple of weeks.

I agree with NMills. Pre-season games might be boring to many fans but these are games that can decide if some guys have a roster spot when the season officially starts.

I think there is talk about expanding rosters a few slots.

I could also see final roster cuts not being made until maybe 2 games in to the season in order to evaluate players...maybe expand the practice squad 2-3 slots....but allow teams to protect a few of those players for 1 season....in other words 2-3 of the PC players....designated in advance couldn't be plucked by another team even if they were going to put them on the regular roster.

I think teams have to have a way to shield a few players they know can be good but can't make the team this year.

Obviously those 2-3 players designated as such would be paid more then the other PS players....say 50% more.....which might mean $7500 a week v the roughly $5000 PS players make.

It would have to be a contractual deal the player would have to sign giving up free market rights unless the NFL can swing a act of Congress.

Archived