THE BROWNS BOARD

Can the Browns be the team to make a comeback in 2010?

SJ_Browns

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x150190777...-why-not-Browns

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff writer

Posted Jun 19, 2010 @ 05:46 PM

It’s the wish of every Browns fan: Please let this be the year. Let it be the year the orange helmets finally take their turn as that surprise team — the one that goes from 5-11 or worse and slaps up a season of 10-6 or better.

There’s even a wildest dream: Please let the Browns be the 2001 Patriots.

We have said more than once — some version of the vision comes true every year in the NFL. But does it really?

Almost always.

Let’s take a peek at the decade that just wrapped up with the Browns failing to do better than 5-11 for the sixth time in 10 years.

The Bengals got their quarterback back and won the AFC North. In 2008, they were 4-11-1.

Browns application Carson Palmer, who previously took the Bengals to the postseason just once in four years, was coming off a bad injury. Jake Delhomme, who quarterbacked three Carolina playoff teams in the last six years, is coming off a bad year.

The Falcons woke up from their Michael Vick hangover and won a wild-card spot at 11-5 with rookie QB Matt Ryan. In 2007, they were 4-12.

Browns application Being a rookie, Ryan was treated gingerly. The Falcons protected him with the running platoon of a newcomer, Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood. The Browns think their new guy, Montario Hardesty, can work with Jerome Harrison to make life easier for Delhomme.

Jon Gruden’s honeymoon was back on for a minute when Jeff Garcia had a surprise year for a Tampa Bay team that won the NFC South. The Bucs were 4-12 in 2006.

Browns application Garcia had a bounce-back season at age 37, five years after he last led a team to the playoffs. Delhomme needs to recover from a bad season, but he is only 35, and he had Carolina at 12-4 two years ago.

New quarterback Drew Brees arrived and steered New Orleans to an AFC South title. With Aaron Brooks and Todd Bouman splitting the job in 2005, the Saints were 3-13.

Browns application Most would agree Delhomme is no Drew Brees, but he did beat Brees, 21-18 and 31-21, in the 2006 season. Most would agree Delhomme is an upgrade over the Brady Quinn-Derek Anderson tag team.

Chicago won the NFC North with rookie fourth-round pick Kyle Orton starting 15 games and posting a miserable 59.7 passer rating. The Bears were 5-11 in 2004.

Browns application If the defense comes around, it can offset trouble at quarterback.

Brees bounced back from the worst year of his career, leading San Diego to a 12-4 record. In 2003, Brees posted a 67.5 passer rating — Quinn’s was 67.2 in 2009 — and the Chargers went 4-12.

Browns application Good quarterbacks have been known to come back from rotten years, which is what Delhomme is attempting to do.

Behind 24-year-old QB Quincy Carter, who started every game, the Cowboys went 10-6 and won a wild-card spot. The Cowboys were 5-11 in 2002.

Browns application Dallas boasted a new, credible football authority, Bill Parcells, leading the way in 2003. Mike Holmgren isn’t coaching, as Parcells did, but you get the picture. Carter posted a 71.4 rating in ’03 and made only three NFL starts thereafter. Yet the Cowboys went to the playoffs with him.

No team went from 5-11 or worse and made the playoffs. The biggest turnaround was made by Carolina, which went from 1-15 in 2001 to 7-9 in ’02.

Browns application If the Browns improve by six wins, as Carolina did in this case, they would be 11-5.

Presumed doomed when 2000 Round 6 pick Tom Brady had to replace Drew Bledsoe at quarterback, New England won the Super Bowl. In 2000, the Patriots were 5-11, losing to a Cleveland team that finished 2-14.

Browns application Browns Head Coach Eric Mangini and coordinators Rob Ryan, Brian Daboll and Brad Seely all worked for the Patriots in 2000 and 2001. Brady wasn’t a superstar yet, passing for a modest 2,843 yards in 15 games — Tim Couch gave the Browns 3,040 passing yards that year. It wasn’t about the quarterback.

Behind 24-year-old Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia went 11-5 and won a first-round playoff game. In 1999, when McNabb started six games as a rookie, the Eagles went 5-11.

Browns application Andy Reid inherited a 3-13 team when he took over in 1999 and pulled things together in Year 2. That’s what Mangini, who inherited a 4-12 team in 2008, is trying to do.

Summing up the decade

The examples detailed above show nine different teams making the playoffs after a year of 5-11 or worse.

For what it’s worth, we do hear the Browns talking amongst themselves ...

“Why not us?”

while we all know there are no guarantees, this article takes an interesting look at how losing teams can turn things around for the better.

the browns not only have vet leadership on the field, they have some damn good vets in the fo as well.

I believe the browns are going to shake things in the AFCN up this year...this is the beginning of a new era, a lot of things have changed in berea and the browns now have all the elements in place that indicate that if it all comes together and clicks under mangini they could be one of this years surprise teams...to me the big if factor comes from mangini himself i think many of us and holmgren as well are still evaluating him and his philosophies as a head coach...

Mangini, ryan and especially daboll all still need to prove that they can plan ahead for the unexpected, take chances when needed and match wits/cunning with the leagues best coaches all without turtling up, looking lost and otherwise playing to lose..

Im hoping that mangini and daboll will have more trust/faith in their playmakers to find ways to get it done..jake is a true veteran and if given the right options and freedom to exercise them will make things go pop...

There has been much improvement in our team over the last year , and off season . I think the only thing that will get the Browns to the next level is their ability to buy into what the coaches and FO is selling , and play for the team . Being un-selfish , and doing everything asked of them ........ie special teams , position changes , and anything else needed to get-er-done . That is what team work is . That is who wins .

There has been much improvement in our team over the last year , and off season . I think the only thing that will get the Browns to the next level is their ability to buy into what the coaches and FO is selling , and play for the team . Being un-selfish , and doing everything asked of them ........ie special teams , position changes , and anything else needed to get-er-done . That is what team work is . That is who wins .

I think the Browns will be a team that will play tough in every game. However your QB situation is still pretty terrible and that is going to be the teams downfall. McCoy isn't going to get thrown in to the lineup this season. I have ZERO faith in Delhomme and don't believe he's going to have a career resurgence and Wallace is a total wild card. If the Browns can get some QB stability they should be a tough team to beat. I still don't like your LB corp even tho Fujita for example is a savvy veteran and the defensive line IS pretty much Shaun Rogers and he's still in trouble no? Either way the Browns should definitely be better than they were last year but I still see a 6-10 finish. Although I also expect them to be in most of those games which is the difference. I guess we'll find out. The season is is like 70 something days away.

I think the Browns will be a team that will play tough in every game. However your QB situation is still pretty terrible and that is going to be the teams downfall. McCoy isn't going to get thrown in to the lineup this season. I have ZERO faith in Delhomme and don't believe he's going to have a career resurgence and Wallace is a total wild card. If the Browns can get some QB stability they should be a tough team to beat. I still don't like your LB corp even tho Fujita for example is a savvy veteran and the defensive line IS pretty much Shaun Rogers and he's still in trouble no? Either way the Browns should definitely be better than they were last year but I still see a 6-10 finish. Although I also expect them to be in most of those games which is the difference. I guess we'll find out. The season is is like 70 something days away.

Perhaps the one thing that can be said about the QB situation is that this year the Browns will know for sure who is going to start for them. It will be Delhomme, and Wallace will be the backup. That wasn't the case the last couple of years.

I guess you can call that some sort of stability, but, of course, it is no guarantee that Jake will be worth a spit. That remains to be seen.

Perhaps the one thing that can be said about the QB situation is that this year the Browns will know for sure who is going to start for them. It will be Delhomme, and Wallace will be the backup. That wasn't the case the last couple of years.

I guess you can call that some sort of stability, but, of course, it is no guarantee that Jake will be worth a spit. That remains to be seen

I think he's going to be terrible but once again we'll see. He's always been wildly inconsistent but maybe the Cleveland Colors is the change of scenery he needs/needed for a career turn around. He's a leak plug if you ask me and they'll either groom McCoy or draft a top prospect next year.

It's really simple . You take the talking heads word on things I do not .

You are correct sir . "we will see"

I think he's going to be terrible but once again we'll see. He's always been wildly inconsistent but maybe the Cleveland Colors is the change of scenery he needs/needed for a career turn around. He's a leak plug if you ask me and they'll either groom McCoy or draft a top prospect next year.

Well, they will probably be grooming McCoy who by all accounts is/was considered a "top prospect" at least prior to the draft.

Whether Delhomme will be terrible and wildly inconsistent remains to be seen. He has, in the past while leading the Panthers had his team either playing .500 ball or they were big winners. A 12-4 season, a couple of 11-5 seasons, some 9-7,8-8 and 7-9 seasons. Who really knows.

It's really simple . You take the talking heads word on things I do not .

You are correct sir . "we will see"

Talking heads? That's my own personal opinion and has zero to do with what I've read/heard in the media which honestly isn't a lot. I haven't been watching a lot of ESPN and usually don't when the Steelers/Pens aren't in season. Delhomme was/is all over the place and your LB corp could be really dismal. Racking up a bunch of tackles doesn't define a LB. Fujita is a savvy veteran and D'qwell Jackson is probably better than average, solid. Beyond those two the LB corp is totally meh and even Fujita is a little on the meh side. I watch a lot of football and do the fantasy football thing so I follow other teams more than the average football fan and or basic team die hard. I have ZERO faith in Delhomme. Absolutely zero, brown or not.

I believe the browns are going to shake things in the AFCN up this year...this is the beginning of a new era, a lot of things have changed in berea and the browns now have all the elements in place that indicate that if it all comes together and clicks under mangini they could be one of this years surprise teams...to me the big if factor comes from mangini himself i think many of us and holmgren as well are still evaluating him and his philosophies as a head coach...

Mangini, ryan and especially daboll all still need to prove that they can plan ahead for the unexpected, take chances when needed and match wits/cunning with the leagues best coaches all without turtling up, looking lost and otherwise playing to lose..

Im hoping that mangini and daboll will have more trust/faith in their playmakers to find ways to get it done..jake is a true veteran and if given the right options and freedom to exercise them will make things go pop...

good post. it will be interesting to see how jake plays this season. he pin pointed why he failed last season and even though the panthers failures on offense wasn't all of his fault, he never threw any one under the bus. he looked at his own mistakes and knows what he needs to do to bounce back. that says alot about a qb when he can be upfront and honest about himself. he must have said something to win over holmgren and co. now it's all a matter of jake putting all the parts together to have a solid season. if he can do that, if he can hold things down on his end, he should be able to capitalize off of a good core of rbs and then he won't have to carry the team on his back. the coaching staff will also have to do their part to help him (play calling wise) and the rest is on jake.

I like Jake...always have.

He is what we have needed for a good while.....he'll stick his finger in peoples faces if needed.

While I don't have any illusions the guy will be a pro-bowl QB, I am willing to bet the guys entire body of work is a better indication of his play than is his play of last season.

One thing i know about the guy is he is tough....and not just physically...he's going to play with determination.

Long term he isn't a answer....for this season and maybe next as the starter....he works...we need to be more worried Colt learns his lessons and becomes a fairly decent player.

I think that the Browns are going to catch a few teams napping this year! It's too early to tell, but the great thing is that with the NFL teams can go from worst to first pretty fast. We seem to be on the right course right now, and I'm willing to be patient to see how this thing plays out. They play 2 crappy teams right off of the bat. Starting 2-0 can go a long way in boosting the player's confidence, as well as momentum to build on. I think the Ravens unfortunately are the team to beat, and I don't know if we can sneak out a win against them, but I can certainly see us splitting with Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. If I had to say that we were going to sweep a division opponent I'd say this year would be the best year to sweep the Steelers for the first time in forever. They certainly have had their issues with running the ball, and protecting Worthlessburger (not to mention he is out 4-6 games) and their defense couldn't hold a lead in the 4th qtr last year.

All in all I am excited. While I doubt we get to the Super Bowl or deep into the playoffs for that matter, I can see us possibly getting a wild card spot. We just need to avoid key injuries, and need our players to buy into the system.

I think that the Browns are going to catch a few teams napping this year! It's too early to tell, but the great thing is that with the NFL teams can go from worst to first pretty fast. We seem to be on the right course right now, and I'm willing to be patient to see how this thing plays out. They play 2 crappy teams right off of the bat. Starting 2-0 can go a long way in boosting the player's confidence, as well as momentum to build on. I think the Ravens unfortunately are the team to beat, and I don't know if we can sneak out a win against them, but I can certainly see us splitting with Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. If I had to say that we were going to sweep a division opponent I'd say this year would be the best year to sweep the Steelers for the first time in forever. They certainly have had their issues with running the ball, and protecting Worthlessburger (not to mention he is out 4-6 games) and their defense couldn't hold a lead in the 4th qtr last year.

All in all I am excited. While I doubt we get to the Super Bowl or deep into the playoffs for that matter, I can see us possibly getting a wild card spot. We just need to avoid key injuries, and need our players to buy into the system.

1. We have rushing problems? Mendenhall will rush for over 1400 yards and double digit TD's and it's not a BOLD prediction.

2. Big Ben and the sacks. You guys do realize he creates a lot of those by trying to extend plays and more often than not he does? This is something grasped around here right?

3. Defense: No Aaron Smith or Troy Polamalu last year, plus problems at corner. Smith and Troy are back. We deepened our LB corp and brought Bryant McFadden back.

4. Big Ben will serve 4 games.

The Browns will not sweep the Steelers. The Browns aren't going to take a game from the Steelers. Write it down and hold me to it if you must.

What I find funny is the fact that Steelers fans find it necessary to defend their team on a board for Cleveland Browns fans! Hello... It's the CLEVELAND BROWNS board!!!!! I certainly wouldn't sign up to a Steelers message board, a: because I F***in' hate the Steelers, and b: I have no need to defend my team on the rival team's board. It's a waste of time anyway.

I have no issues with decent Steelers fans by any means (there a few), it just doesn't make sense to try and defend your team on a board that is set up for Browns fans.

What I find funny is the fact that Steelers fans find it necessary to defend their team on a board for Cleveland Browns fans! Hello... It's the CLEVELAND BROWNS board!!!!! I certainly wouldn't sign up to a Steelers message board, a: because I F***in' hate the Steelers, and b: I have no need to defend my team on the rival team's board. It's a waste of time anyway.

I have no issues with decent Steelers fans by any means (there a few), it just doesn't make sense to try and defend your team on a board that is set up for Browns fans.

I come here for a rival perspective and just general division information. I've actually been here for a while under this name and another and I only post occasionally. I "defended" my Steelers because your initial post didn't make much sense. If you're going to talk about the upcoming season and winning this game or that game at least factor in the variables rationally. I simply disagreed with your assessment and presented my own. Pittsburgh will have NO trouble running the ball and the Stains sure as hell aren't going to run the table. You're going to have a 6-10 season and I'll go out on a limb and say you may not win a single division game. I mean you're knocking a defense that has finished inside the top 10 for how long now? Yes the defense was partially to blame for a good number of losses last year but we were also missing more than a few key players that are now returning. Mendenhall didn't get a full season and went over 1000 yards and that was with a focus on the pass and not the run. The Rooney's want things going back to the run and defense. I just ask that when you make these predictions you make them with some sort of rational thought process, not just a bunch of Retarded assumptions based on poor football judgment. It's annoying if anything else.

I come here for a rival perspective and just general division information. I've actually been here for a while under this name and another and I only post occasionally. I "defended" my Steelers because your initial post didn't make much sense. If you're going to talk about the upcoming season and winning this game or that game at least factor in the variables rationally. I simply disagreed with your assessment and presented my own. Pittsburgh will have NO trouble running the ball and the Stains sure as hell aren't going to run the table. You're going to have a 6-10 season and I'll go out on a limb and say you may not win a single division game. I mean you're knocking a defense that has finished inside the top 10 for how long now? Yes the defense was partially to blame for a good number of losses last year but we were also missing more than a few key players that are now returning. Mendenhall didn't get a full season and went over 1000 yards and that was with a focus on the pass and not the run. The Rooney's want things going back to the run and defense. I just ask that when you make these predictions you make them with some sort of rational thought process, not just a bunch of Retarded assumptions based on poor football judgment. It's annoying if anything else.

Soooo then defend your team on your own team's board! I mean really. And of course you're looking like the typical Steelers fan. Right off the bat, you have to start hurling your insults and calling us the "Stains" and crap like that! Is there something in the water in Pittsburgh, or is it just a Pennsytuckey thing? I know a few Steelers fans, but man you guys are really full of yourselves when it comes to being arrogant! If you don't like what Cleveland Browns fans are saying about the Steelers on a board meant for Cleveland Browns fans, then don't come here! It's simple! It ain't a lovefest for your team, that's for sure, and I certainly wouldn't expect it on your board!

Furthermore, it's funny how the Steelers can as they say just plug anyone in at any position because they draft so well. Well, if that is the case how come it didn't work last year? Are we actually using the injury excuse? Come on, I thought that didn't matter with the "high and mighty" Steelers???? :rolleyes: Face it, your team will be lucky to sniff the play offs this year!

Soooo then defend your team on your own team's board! I mean really. And of course you're looking like the typical Steelers fan. Right off the bat, you have to start hurling your insults and calling us the "Stains" and crap like that! Is there something in the water in Pittsburgh, or is it just a Pennsytuckey thing? I know a few Steelers fans, but man you guys are really full of yourselves when it comes to being arrogant! If you don't like what Cleveland Browns fans are saying about the Steelers on a board meant for Cleveland Browns fans, then don't come here! It's simple! It ain't a lovefest for your team, that's for sure, and I certainly wouldn't expect it on your board!

these steeler trolls are hillarious! every time someone says something about the steelers on this browns board these sissies go into an emotional frenzy. i see their names pop up immediately after any negative comment about the steelers is made. i guess they do expect this to be some steeler haven or something. these steeler trolls cry more than a bunch of girl scouts that got their cookies stolen. these sissy steeler trolls need to grow a pair of balls, thicker skin and get a spine. :lol:

Furthermore, it's funny how the Steelers can as they say just plug anyone in at any position because they draft so well. Well, if that is the case how come it didn't work last year? Are we actually using the injury excuse? Come on, I thought that didn't matter with the "high and mighty" Steelers???? :rolleyes: Face it, your team will be lucky to sniff the play offs this year!

You do realize that being "full of yourself" and being "Arrogant" are one in the same correct? I'm also not asking for a love fest and I do post on my Steelers board. I'm not all that ill-received around here, plenty of people will tell you I'm not here to troll even though I take a very opinionated stance and do occasionally call the Browns the "Stains". I also suggested you at least stick to the facts. You're absolutely delusional if you think the Browns are going to run the table on the Steelers first and foremost. You're also delusional to believe you're going to get a wild card spot. Pittsburgh with all the bs last year didn't lose a game by more than 7 points. We had a heinous skid and still finished the year strong enough to have a outside shot at the playoffs. You do realize we've won the Super Bowl twice this decade and have only lost 3 or 4 guys and we lost those games last year largely because of poor special teams play. Polamalu is back, Aaron Smith is back. We brought back McFadden for a steal of a deal and Larry Foote for veteran LB depth. Add in the further maturation of some of our young guys and the Steeler defense is going to Super Bowl good yet again. What you do need to face is that the Browns are going to be a 6-10 team or worse and the Steelers will once again be playing for something in January. I'm not the one that's delusional. I just have a problem with absolutely Retarded delusions of grandeur and that runs rampant like a virus on this message board. Some of the posters are ridiculous and football savvy, others are just internet cheerleaders. You fall in to the latter category. Enjoy getting steam rolled twice this coming season.

And like i said previously i'm not here to troll but I do speak up from time to time and I also contribute on occasion to threads completely unrelated to the Steelers. The problem is a contingent of your faithful can't stand the fact that I have a brain between my ears.

i know alot of diehard browns fans on this board might disagree with me, but there are a couple of steelers fans on this board (that post regularly) that i do like hearing from. robo and silverback i can deal with. at least they are fans of their teams and don't jump from one ship to the other depending on the W-L record of that nfl weekend. and seeing what they do add to this board i guess they're not 12 yrs. old cranking it to some megan fox fakes in their grandma's basement.

i know some posts are made to infuriate one or the other but it's like anything else in the world.......if you don't like what you're listening to or watching then turn the channel or just not go outside. that's why god made caves. ask tom hanks. wilson. if they didn't give us the rival's outlook we'd be still talking about the draft.

on topic: i think the browns win 9 or 10 games........the one game difference hinges on a special teams + or - for us.

You do realize that being "full of yourself" and being "Arrogant" are one in the same correct? I'm also not asking for a love fest and I do post on my Steelers board. I'm not all that ill-received around here, plenty of people will tell you I'm not here to troll even though I take a very opinionated stance and do occasionally call the Browns the "Stains". I also suggested you at least stick to the facts. You're absolutely delusional if you think the Browns are going to run the table on the Steelers first and foremost. You're also delusional to believe you're going to get a wild card spot. Pittsburgh with all the bs last year didn't lose a game by more than 7 points. We had a heinous skid and still finished the year strong enough to have a outside shot at the playoffs. You do realize we've won the Super Bowl twice this decade and have only lost 3 or 4 guys and we lost those games last year largely because of poor special teams play. Polamalu is back, Aaron Smith is back. We brought back McFadden for a steal of a deal and Larry Foote for veteran LB depth. Add in the further maturation of some of our young guys and the Steeler defense is going to Super Bowl good yet again. What you do need to face is that the Browns are going to be a 6-10 team or worse and the Steelers will once again be playing for something in January. I'm not the one that's delusional. I just have a problem with absolutely Retarded delusions of grandeur and that runs rampant like a virus on this message board. Some of the posters are ridiculous and football savvy, others are just internet cheerleaders. You fall in to the latter category. Enjoy getting steam rolled twice this coming season.

And like i said previously i'm not here to troll but I do speak up from time to time and I also contribute on occasion to threads completely unrelated to the Steelers. The problem is a contingent of your faithful can't stand the fact that I have a brain between my ears.

You Steelers fans just can't handle the fact that not everyone likes your scumbag team, and that their are fans of other teams out there! And those so call "delusions" are us being fans just like you! Being optimistic is part of being a fan. Otherwise, why watch the game? So just because YOU think that we're going to suck, we should just say "F*** it"? Your attitude is that of "you guys are going to suck, don't even bother." Quite frankly I like the direction that the Browns are going. It's been a long time coming! We've finally got credible football people in the front office for the first time since they've returned. So you'll have to excuse me being a FAN of MY team, and not liking it when some Stooler fan posts on a Browns board about how we're going to suck!

You Steelers fans just can't handle the fact that not everyone likes your scumbag team, and that their are fans of other teams out there! And those so call "delusions" are us being fans just like you! Being optimistic is part of being a fan. Otherwise, why watch the game? So just because YOU think that we're going to suck, we should just say "F*** it"? Your attitude is that of "you guys are going to suck, don't even bother." Quite frankly I like the direction that the Browns are going. It's been a long time coming! We've finally got credible football people in the front office for the first time since they've returned. So you'll have to excuse me being a FAN of MY team, and not liking it when some Stooler fan posts on a Browns board about how we're going to suck!

You haven't been here long so you likely haven't had the opportunity to read a majority of my posts. I've on more than once occasion conceded that the Browns are headed in the right direction and I could care less if you hate the Steelers. You SHOULD hate the Steelers if you're a diehard Browns fan. I post my objections and or opinion when someone from this fan base is being a blind cheerleader and not a rational football fan. Do you honestly believe this year is as good as any to walk the Steelers both games? Based on what? Big Ben's suspension? He'll be back before our game against you and will have the bye week at that point to further prepare. I can make very rational arguments against everything else. Oh and you can bet your a$$ I'm going to talk injuries or the lack thereof for the upcoming season. A health Polamalu and Aaron Smith makes a SUBSTANTIAL difference to our defense as does the return of McFadden and the maturation of our younger corners. Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett have supposedly progressed with leaps and bounds are ready to play now. Add in those two, the return of Troy and Aaron Smith and our new LB depth and the defense is better. Our defense could return to Cardinals Super Bowl good which is/was arguably one of the best defenses of all time. You then mention the run game but please explain. Mendenhall didn't run well last season? he's also going to get a full 16 games and the Rooney's want to get back to pounding the rock.

Either way you're allowed to be optimistic. You should be, but you should also be realistic and suggesting a sweep of the Steelers and a deep playoff push when you've had your first solid draft in a well and you brought in Jake Delhomme is amusing. I'm respectfully predicting a 6-10 kind of season, possibly 7-9. You aren't going to blank the Steelers.

You haven't been here long so you likely haven't had the opportunity to read a majority of my posts. I've on more than once occasion conceded that the Browns are headed in the right direction and I could care less if you hate the Steelers. You SHOULD hate the Steelers if you're a diehard Browns fan. I post my objections and or opinion when someone from this fan base is being a blind cheerleader and not a rational football fan. Do you honestly believe this year is as good as any to walk the Steelers both games? Based on what? Big Ben's suspension? He'll be back before our game against you and will have the bye week at that point to further prepare. I can make very rational arguments against everything else. Oh and you can bet your a$$ I'm going to talk injuries or the lack thereof for the upcoming season. A health Polamalu and Aaron Smith makes a SUBSTANTIAL difference to our defense as does the return of McFadden and the maturation of our younger corners. Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett have supposedly progressed with leaps and bounds are ready to play now. Add in those two, the return of Troy and Aaron Smith and our new LB depth and the defense is better. Our defense could return to Cardinals Super Bowl good which is/was arguably one of the best defenses of all time. You then mention the run game but please explain. Mendenhall didn't run well last season? he's also going to get a full 16 games and the Rooney's want to get back to pounding the rock.

Either way you're allowed to be optimistic. You should be, but you should also be realistic and suggesting a sweep of the Steelers and a deep playoff push when you've had your first solid draft in a well and you brought in Jake Delhomme is amusing. I'm respectfully predicting a 6-10 kind of season, possibly 7-9. You aren't going to blank the Steelers.

I didn't necessarily say we would sweep the Steelers. I think that we have a better chance for the first time in a long time. I didn't flat out say we're going to sweep the Steelers. I realize how hard it is regardless of how the Steelers record is to go into Heinz Field and get a win! It's hard for anyone to do that! As for Delhomme, he is a short term solution until McCoy is ready to go. He is on the back 9 of his career, but he has experience in the post season, and has the leadership in the QB position that has been severely lacking. We didn't have that when we drafted Quinn, and I think that hurt him, because he didn't have a solid veteran to mentor him. For a team that has had some very good QBs in it's history, Graham, Ryan, Sipe, and Kosar, getting a solid QB has certainly alluded us.

I agree with you regarding Polamalu. He is an absolute beast (and the only Steelers player that I like) and it definitely hurt you guys without him. I'm not here to make enemies, and I'm sorry I flipped, but I get a little wound up when a fan of another team cuts down mine, especially on a Browns message board. I'm sure that you can appreciate that. I do hate the Steelers, but I'll be kind enough to say good luck in 2010. I don't think anyone is getting past Baltimore this year.

I didn't necessarily say we would sweep the Steelers. I think that we have a better chance for the first time in a long time. I didn't flat out say we're going to sweep the Steelers. I realize how hard it is regardless of how the Steelers record is to go into Heinz Field and get a win! It's hard for anyone to do that! As for Delhomme, he is a short term solution until McCoy is ready to go. He is on the back 9 of his career, but he has experience in the post season, and has the leadership in the QB position that has been severely lacking. We didn't have that when we drafted Quinn, and I think that hurt him, because he didn't have a solid veteran to mentor him. For a team that has had some very good QBs in it's history, Graham, Ryan, Sipe, and Kosar, getting a solid QB has certainly alluded us.

I agree with you regarding Polamalu. He is an absolute beast (and the only Steelers player that I like) and it definitely hurt you guys without him. I'm not here to make enemies, and I'm sorry I flipped, but I get a little wound up when a fan of another team cuts down mine, especially on a Browns message board. I'm sure that you can appreciate that. I do hate the Steelers, but I'll be kind enough to say good luck in 2010. I don't think anyone is getting past Baltimore this year.

I totally get it and I absolutely wish the Browns luck next season. The stronger our division opponents the stronger our division and the more prepared any team that exits the AFC north is for the playoffs. As far as Baltimore is concerned I'm not at all worried about them. Will they be good? Absolutely. The Steelers will still take at least one from them I'll wager but it's definitely going to be a beat down and drag out affair in the AFC north this season.

I totally get it and I absolutely wish the Browns luck next season. The stronger our division opponents the stronger our division and the more prepared any team that exits the AFC north is for the playoffs. As far as Baltimore is concerned I'm not at all worried about them. Will they be good? Absolutely. The Steelers will still take at least one from them I'll wager but it's definitely going to be a beat down and drag out affair in the AFC north this season.

Yea, though the Browns will still probably be predicted to come in last, this division is no doubt in my mind going to have much more parity than it has had in a long time. People seem to forget that it is The Bengals who are defending Division champions. Baltimore is expected to be tough again. Pittsburgh is not expected to fall off much, and the Browns should be much improve notwithstanding. It will definitely be a rough and tumble season.

Yea, though the Browns will still probably be predicted to come in last, this division is no doubt in my mind going to have much more parity than it has had in a long time. People seem to forget that it is The Bengals who are defending Division champions. Baltimore is expected to be tough again. Pittsburgh is not expected to fall off much, and the Browns should be much improve notwithstanding. It will definitely be a rough and tumble season.

Yes it will, and it's about time that we start giving a little bit back to our division foes. We've been a doormat for too long. I love that we are getting our front office right, and I am anxious to see what Mangini can do by just focusing on being a coach. He had a lot on his plate last year, and after a horrible start things came together in the end. Too little too late of course, but the team didn't quit, whereas most would have given up, and under previous regimes this team did quit. That is certainly momentum that the Browns can build on going into 2010. I like our chances in the first 2 games of the schedule, and coming out 2-0 can do wonders for the team as opposed to starting out 0-2. Get those 2 wins, build confidence, continue to gel, stay healthy, and ya never know! :D

Although we all know what Cincy is going to do. They play well once every 5 years and then half the team gets arrested and Marvin Lewis is on the verge of getting fired. He'll have that stupid look on his face in no time. Carson Palmer will be crying and Cedric Benson will be bringing guns to practice.

Although we all know what Cincy is going to do. They play well once every 5 years and then half the team gets arrested and Marvin Lewis is on the verge of getting fired. He'll have that stupid look on his face in no time. Carson Palmer will be crying and Cedric Benson will be bringing guns to practice.

The Bengals are still the Bungles. I actually see Marvin Lewis giving up saying "f*** this" and quitting before he gets fired. Too much drama on that team, and it's ashame for them, because they do have some talent.

The Bengals are still the Bungles. I actually see Marvin Lewis giving up saying "f*** this" and quitting before he gets fired. Too much drama on that team, and it's ashame for them, because they do have some talent.

Nah it's not a shame. First and foremost that fan base is easily the most annoying I've ever encountered. Well it's a tie between the Bengals and the diehard browns fans that were at every game Sunday at Buffalo Wild Wings in downtown kent. It was a group of social outcasts for sure with one vocal leader. The white haired gremlin if you will and the entire time and in a raspy voice he'd yell about Joey Porter getting shot in the a$$ anytime the Steelers did anything positive or for him negative. He was doing this even when Porter had moved on to the Dolphins. Either way Bengal fans are much worse because they're delusions of grandeur are astronomical, at least most Browns fans have come to grips with the franchise rebuilding. In Bengal land they're team is preordained. Add in the fact that they routinely take on the headcases and Palmer cries more than he throws TD's. It's a recipe for heartache. I do like Chad Johnson but he's the token. I'd take him on the Steelers in a New York minute.

Archived