THE BROWNS BOARD

Training Camp will be Joe Haden's proving ground

SJ_Browns

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/409250-...-proving-ground

Joe Haden hasn't had a chance to show his physical nature yet as he waits for training camp. It is there that he hopes to distinguish himself from Eric Wright and take the starter's position away from him.

In college at Florida, he was considered physical in coverage, nasty in the run game, and a rock solid tackler for a cornerback. Haden was also considered the best man-cover corner in the country.

Eric Wright is considered an excellent cover cornerback. He has a knack for simply making plays. Wright has excellent skills in man coverage and follows receivers step for step. He makes great reads and will pick off an errant pass or break up close plays.

Wright is considered a decent tackler but not physical against the run by any standards.

Or as Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter, Tony Grossi, points out "corners have to play the run in Mangini's defense and Wright had the benefit of being the best of a weak bunch of cornerbacks last year."

This year the game has changed, with the additions of former Eagle's cornerback Sheldon Brown and Haden. Both are physical corners who have reputations for supporting the run.

In Sheldon Brown's case he is a proven entity—while Haden, a rookie, has only three years of college film and the projection of scouts.

So far Haden has looked relatively smooth in drills, with good speed and excellent burst to the ball. Unfortunately for Haden and fellow draftees T.J. Ward and Larry Asante, OTAs and minicamps are performed in shorts and jerseys without any actual hitting.

All three of them were drafted in part because they are big, physical hitters who know how to tackle.

Haden waits anxiously for a chance to display his physicality in preseason games and tackling drills to prove the Browns made the correct decision in making him their first round selection.

Training camp is where Joe Haden will get a chance to distinguish himself as a physical presence and see if he can displace Eric Wright as a starting cornerback for the Cleveland Browns.

I still think Wright has the edge there, he has 3 years NFL experience already. He is not great but he is pretty good. It is going to take Haden longer than training camp to really bump anybody. With the addition of Brown, that is going to let Haden develope even more. Haden will get worked in as a nickle at first, then he will show some skills, and probably be starting by week 10. There is the big IF though. IF, he just straight up dominates from the get go then he could be starting week 1. I think our corners are going to be pretty good this year, its the Safeties that worry me, when shit hits the fan thats when I think Sheldon Brown might have to move to safety and Haden will be thrown in there. To infinity and beyond.

I am under the opinion that both Wright and Haden could be starters. Who would start in place of either of them?

Many are assuming Sheldon Brown has locked down the other starting Corner position, and that Haden will supplant Wright rather than Brown.

I am under the opinion that both Wright and Haden could be starters. Who would start in place of either of them?

I LOVE "nasty run bangers". Should JH prove in camp that he has the real potential to run amok in terrorizing the opponents run schemes, I say give him the job on the condition that he makes progress weekly in his coverage assignments

I LOVE "nasty run bangers". Should JH prove in camp that he has the real potential to run amok in terrorizing the opponents run schemes, I say give him the job on the condition that he makes progress weekly in his coverage assignments

He will.

many feel Brown played at a pro bowl level last year. i doubt Haden will contend against EW or SB this year but i think he will still be a major factor his rookie year. if he shows strong flashes this year at all we know we're set at CB for a while.

as a result, he will also push B-mac to either be get much better and realize his full potential or be trade bait. win/win

Archived