THE BROWNS BOARD

White House summons US general to explain himself

White House summons US general to explain himself

WASHINGTON – The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has been summoned to Washington to explain derogatory comments about President Barack Obama and his colleagues, administration officials said Tuesday.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who publicly apologized Tuesday for using "poor judgment" in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, has been ordered to attend the monthly White House meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person Wednesday rather than over a secure video teleconference, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. He'll be expected to explain his comments to Obama and top Pentagon officials, these officials said.

Obama has the authority to fire McChrystal. His predecessor, Gen. David McKiernan, was sacked on grounds that the military needed "new thinking and new approaches" in Afghanistan.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen has told McChrystal of his "deep disappointment" over the article, a spokesman said.

The article in this week's Rolling Stone depicts McChrystal as a lone wolf on the outs with many important figures in the Obama administration and unable to persuade even some of his own soldiers that his strategy can win the war.

The interview describes McChrystal, 55, as "disappointed" in his first Oval Office meeting with Obama. The article says that although McChrystal voted for Obama, the two failed to connect from the start. Obama appointed McChrystal to lead the Afghan effort in May 2009. Last fall, though, Obama called McChrystal on the carpet for speaking too bluntly about his desire for more troops.

"I found that time painful," McChrystal said in the article, on newsstands Friday. "I was selling an unsellable position."

Obama agreed to dispatch an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan only after months of study that many in the military found frustrating. And the White House's troop commitment was coupled with a pledge to begin bringing them home in July 2011, in what counterinsurgency strategists advising McChrystal regarded as an arbitrary deadline.

In Kabul on Tuesday, McChrystal issued a statement saying: "I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome."

"I extend my sincerest apology for this profile," the statement said. "It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened."

Mullen talked with McChrystal about the article Monday night, Capt. John Kirby, Mullen's spokesman said. In a 10-minute conversation, the chairman "expressed his deep disappointment in the piece and the comments" in it, Kirby said.

The Rolling Stone profile, titled "The Runaway General," emerged from several weeks of interviews and travel with McChrystal's tight circle of aides this spring.

In the interview, McChrystal he said he felt betrayed by the man the White House chose to be his diplomatic partner, Ambassador Karl Eikenberry. If Eikenberry had the same doubts, McChrystal said he never expressed them until a leaked internal document threw a wild card into the debate over whether to add more troops last November. In the document, Eikenberry said Afghan President Hamid Karzai was not a reliable partner for the counterinsurgency strategy McChrystal was hired to execute.

McChrystal accused the ambassador of giving himself cover.

"Here's one that covers his flank for the history books," McChrystal told the magazine. "Now, if we fail, they can say 'I told you so.'"

Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Kabul, said Eikenberry and McChrystal "are fully committed to the president's strategy and to working together as one civilian-military team."

McChrystal has a history of drawing criticism, despite his military achievements.

In June 2006 President George W. Bush congratulated McChrystal for his role in the operation that killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq. As head of the special operations command, McChrystal's forces included the Army's clandestine counterterrorism unit, Delta Force.

He drew criticism for his role in the military's handling of the friendly fire shooting of Army Ranger Pat Tillman — a former NFL star — in Afghanistan. An investigation at the time found that McChrystal was "accountable for the inaccurate and misleading assertions" contained in papers recommending that Tillman get a Silver Star award.

McChrystal acknowledged he had suspected several days before approving the Silver Star citation that Tillman might have died by fratricide, rather than enemy fire. He sent a memo to military leaders warning them of that, even as they were approving Tillman's Silver Star. Still, he told investigators he believed Tillman deserved the award.

This week's development comes as criminal investigators are said to be examining allegations that Afghan security firms have been extorting as much as $4 million a week from contractors paid with U.S. tax dollars and then funneling the spoils to warlords and the Taliban, according to a U.S. military document. The payments are intended to ensure safe passage through dangerous areas they control.

The payments reportedly end up in insurgent hands through a $2.1 billion Pentagon contract to transport food, water, fuel and ammunition to American troops stationed at bases across Afghanistan.

__

Associated Press Writer Pauline Jelinek contributed to this report

That's odd, John, I was just going to post this.

It is not insubordination, it's honesty.

This general even VOTED for Obamao, and he's another of millions who

are disgusted at the fraudulent package that they got in return for believing Obamao's lies.

This president is going to get more and more opposition from real Americans.

But McChrystal IS a loose cannon, I don't have much use for him - but if Powell can come out in support of

electing Obamao, and his policies... McCrystal can give his opinion of what's going on in criticizing Obamao.

Obamao is the biggest crisis we have. We need our military to speak out.

This "pres" is a complete failure and a liar. You see, BUSH let the GENRALS RUN THE WAR.

Obamao is trying to run every freakin aspect of our lives - the war, etc, and he is completely bungling it.

From Joe the Plumber, to Sarah Palin, to anybody else, even one of the top generals who ,VOTED FOR OBAMAO, in our military

(which Obamao has no respect for...).

you criticize Mao, and you will get gored.

In the military, a soldier is actually OBLIGATED to NOT OBEY an illegal order.

McChrystal is a knucklehead who just is criticizing his meeting with the President after that "pres"

delayed sending more troops for months, and who has implemented rules of engagement that makes it harder

for our troops to defend themselves, and accomplish their missions.

But yeah, McChrystal is a fool for voting for Obamao in the first place.

McChrystal is a knucklehead who just is criticizing his meeting with the President after that "pres"

delayed sending more troops for months, and who has implemented rules of engagement that makes it harder

for our troops to defend themselves, and accomplish their missions.

But Obama is 'The Commander in Chief'. I would be interested in DieHard's take - as a military guy, not as somebody who dislikes (or likes) Obama.

FWIW, Powell wasn't in a military role when he supported Obama. He is / was retired and a 'private citizen'.

Right or wrong, is it acceptable for somebody to publically criticize his boss?

Of course, if McCrystal was criticizing Bush, many people who are upset about this incident wouldn't have been upset.

I am trying to get beyond the politics on this one.

GGG

Get beyond politics, John? That's no fun. LOL

Sorry, John. I was on a roll... @@

You are right though, I was wrong, Powell is retired.

There is a possibility that under the UCMJ, criticizing the president

while being an active member of the military, could be construed as

undermining the mission of the military - to defend our country.

But that's a reach, I don't even remember much of the UCMJ, though I

was very excellent at knowing military regs back in the day...

there is the chain of command that must be respected... but as a General, and in charge of ops

... well, is there any kind of chain of command problem? I don't think so...?

I once embarrassed our vicious squadron Master Sergeant back in the day, in tech school.

He harrassed all of us who used to go to the church socials retreats about 75 miles N of Biloxi.

He finally had most of the guys intimidated enough to not go.

I kept going, along with my goofy roommate and friend, a good old boy from the Louisiana bayou.

well, he had a bad cold and wasn't going to the next one.

I was going to go. But the nutjob master sergeant put me on third shift the evening before the bus left for the

retreat.

Well, he can do that. But I was not under orders to not go... so after telling my friends and our squadron leader

about midnight I was going, his car was in the shop or he would have driven me... I rode my trusty 3 speed Schwinn

bike. The trip took from 1 AM to 10:30 AM.

I had my friends tell the chaplain of the next door chapel, (some of us helped run the coffee house

on weekends).. and... I had fun. The chaplain had called the church retreat office, and let them know I was coming.

Boy, did I get a great reception, LOL.

when I got back, I was called to the commander's office. We had a nice talk, I explained myself, and he

said he was concerned I was reckless in my trip, but he changed his mind after I explained I had the Highway Patrol

and local law enforcement at my back the whole trip. They kept checking on me a lot, they were great.

Well, the commander actually never knew the ms was doing all the crap he was doing. He was badly embarrassed that

no one ever told him, not even me. I explained that I was sorry, but our human nature kicked in, and we felt the commander must have known.

I didn't even get my butt kicked for that either. The commander offered me a yellow student leader rope, but I was a short timer.

He said a lot of oustanding military men were now involved and the religious harrassment would never, ever take place again.

Even the other AFB chaplains, and the Inspector General himself flew into our AFB and had a meeting with the ...

commander of our AFB. It sent tiny ripples across the military, particularly with base chaplains cross country.

But, I was within my rights to go. And so, I did.

The ms was moved out of our squadron, and into a WAF squadron, where even one four letter word would

get him kicked out of the AF, and that's straight from my commander in his office.

The point is, embarrassing a superior is not a UCMJ offense, but it is not to be taken lightly in terms of keeping/getting promotions,

etc.

McChrystal, imho, per the UCMJ, is within his rights to be "disappointed" in a publicly known meeting, despite

that his saying so badly embarrassed any sitting president.

But I'm no Jag. But Obamao has the authority to simply move him from command position.

IMHO: McChrystal, is enlightening the voters with Obama's disregard for the military and lack of leadership.

McChrystal's statements will have his men stand behind him, they will fight for him, especially when the world percieves Obama as a clown, they need someone within the ranks to look up to and lead them.

Below is some (not all) of Article 2 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Article 2 basically states who is subject to the UCMJ Authority. I didn't copy the whole article.

I think the General will be relieved of command and forced to retire. Even retired Military are subject to the UCMJ (me) If you are receiving pay.

I don't think he made a wise choice in stating what he did during the interview. He must have known what the repercussions would be. You don't get to be a 4 star general and not have common sense. He did it to make a statement.

Article 2 of the UCMJ. Persons subject to this chapter

(a) The following persons are subject to this chapter:

(1) Members of a regular component of the armed forces, including those awaiting discharge after expiration of their terms of enlistment; volunteers from the time of their muster or acceptance into the armed forces; inductees from the time of their actual induction into the armed forces; and other persons lawfully called or ordered into, or to duty in or for training in, the armed forces, from the dates when they are required by the terms of the call or order to obey it.

(2) Cadets, aviation cadets, and midshipmen.

(3) Members of a reserve component while on inactive-duty training, but in the case of members of the Army National Guard of the United States or the Air National Guard of the United States only when in Federal service.

(4) Retired members of a regular component of the armed forces who are entitled to pay.

(5) Retired members of a reserve component who are receiving hospitalization from an armed force.

(6) Members of the Fleet Reserve and Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.

(7) Persons in custody of the armed forces serving a sentence imposed by a court-martial.

(8) Members of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Ad-ministration, Public Health Service, and other organizations, when assigned to and serving with the armed forces.

(9) Prisoners of war in custody of the armed forces.

(10) In time of war, persons serving with or accompanying an armed force in the field.

(11) Subject to any treaty or agreement to which the United States is or may be a party or to any accepted rule of international law, persons serving with, employed by, or accompanying the armed forces outside the United States and outside the Common-wealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.

(12) Subject to any treaty or agreement to which the United States is or may be a party or to any accepted rule of international law, persons within an area leased by or otherwise reserved or acquired for the use of the United States which is under the control of the Secretary concerned and which is outside the United States and outside the Canal Zone, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands.

(B) The voluntary enlistment of any person who has the capacity to understand the significance of enlisting in the armed forces shall be valid for purposes of jurisdiction under subsection (a) and a change of status from civilian to member of the armed forces shall be effective upon the taking of the oath of enlistment.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What a story, Cal. As my grandfather might say, "You are a pip"! John

Thanks, John ! It is absolutely a true story. A lot of guys started going to church retreats after that,

some who never did before. The Chapel coffee house in the Chapel 2 basement became even more popular.

and, my friend Judy, who used to lend me her Bonneville convertible to go out on dates with a gal who later became

my fiance, was the person I gave my "famous" bike to.

On that ride? At one point, about 7 am, the Highway Patrol slowed down, and said I was all the talk on Cb radios,

and my ride even made it to a local radio station, and I was about 3/4 of the way to King's Arrow Ranch.

You wouldn't believe - the really, really, really long slight uphills and downhills.

I thought Mississippi was flat. But you ride that on a bike, and one time, after wearing myself out going up

a long time, however slightly, it was a great break to have easy sailing on the flat for a good ways.

Then, it started downhill again, and stayed that way for a long time. I was building up speed over time, not pedalling,

and trying not to brake too much, because of the weird and nasty sound and vibrations.

I started feeling a lot of wind against me on a still night. The bike didn't have a headlight, so I tied an excellent

big flashlight on the handlebars, so at one point, the road actually started turning in a giant arc, and I was

really, really flying and got a good bit scared. LOL If it had been a little bike headlight, I wouldn't have

seen the curve in time.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread...

Anyways, Diehard and T are right on - the General knew what he was doing, he reportedly has huge loyalty from his troops,

used to be in charge of Special Operations - he was desperately wanting to get the message out.

I actually agree with the General. This President and his staff are clueless on how to fight a war. We are in a true downward spiral. God help us.

Actually, clueless, is you, one who in uniform or former uniform calls the Commander in Chief Clueless you is clueless...........Jim Jones former Commander of the Joints Chiefs highest military position is Obamas chief advisor did he become clueless when Obama hired him, as well as Gates who served under Bush and now is clueless on military issues. McCrystal is way down the pecking order to both. You as a vet should not be so xxxxING STUPID ABOUT INSULTING THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF

you are a disgrace to the US military and the uniform..........disgusting slug

One more thing oh uniform genius where the fqaq were your criticizing the Bush Admin spending a trillion dollars with no results in both these useless wars...........DEADLY SILENT .....you are the biggest of hypocrites

you are summarily dismissed as a mindless bigot racist, dumb and a right wing brain dead nut case..........this is proves it

this pussy pisses on the commander in chief disgracing the uniform of the US military pissing on the commander in chief for sumtim for inheiting two useless wars against nobody which we have won squat before the new commander in chief. He praised the former commander in chief for winning squat against two enemies with no planes no tanks no uniform, no ships no missiles and no capablility and now he is all up in disgust that our nation is going tits up because of Obama........what a fool.....and tool......you should be court martialed as a traitor to the US military

turn in your pension traitor to America

Al Quaida twenty guys and horse no resutls and trillion dollars spent under Bush and now it is all Obama has no clue about warfare.........totally funny.........stupid as can be

and now a word from our sponsor, and we will return to

our feature movie:

"Rich goes ballistic and incoherently vicious for some odd reason"

Actually, clueless, is you, one who in uniform or former uniform calls the Commander in Chief Clueless you is clueless...........Jim Jones former Commander of the Joints Chiefs highest military position is Obamas chief advisor did he become clueless when Obama hired him, as well as Gates who served under Bush and now is clueless on military issues. McCrystal is way down the pecking order to both. You as a vet should not be so xxxxING STUPID ABOUT INSULTING THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF

you are a disgrace to the US military and the uniform..........disgusting slug

One more thing oh uniform genius where the fqaq were your criticizing the Bush Admin spending a trillion dollars with no results in both these useless wars...........DEADLY SILENT .....you are the biggest of hypocrites

you are summarily dismissed as a mindless bigot racist, dumb and a right wing brain dead nut case..........this is proves it

this pussy pisses on the commander in chief disgracing the uniform of the US military pissing on the commander in chief for sumtim for inheiting two useless wars against nobody which we have won squat before the new commander in chief. He praised the former commander in chief for winning squat against two enemies with no planes no tanks no uniform, no ships no missiles and no capablility and now he is all up in disgust that our nation is going tits up because of Obama........what a fool.....and tool......you should be court martialed as a traitor to the US military

turn in your pension traitor to America

Al Quaida twenty guys and horse no resutls and trillion dollars spent under Bush and now it is all Obama has no clue about warfare.........totally funny.........stupid as can be

Be quiet Sand Crab!

Be quiet Sand Crab!

OK, I will be quiet, I will pretend you are Obama and I am McCrystal and do what he should have done...........taken orders and kept his mouth shut

Yes indeed Harry Truman fired McCarthy a five star general and mastermind of defeating the Japanese right in the middle of the Korean War for publically challenging Truman's War Position. And rightly so he was fired just as McCrystal should have been. I have a nice link discussing the matter in the other thread here

I have a nice link discussing the matter in the other thread here Wildman

No link, wildman Rich. B)

Archived