THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland/Akron/Canton vacation

The Gipper

Though this might better belong on another board here, I will post it here nonetheless to get some input. I have friends and family coming in from out of town for a Cleveland/Akron/Canton vacation. Here are some of the sights and sounds of the area that I am proposing to put on the itinerary. Hey...football is on here. Any additional suggestions, particularly dining are welcomed. Let me know if I have missed any quality attractions:

Sunday: Rock and Roll HOF/Tower City/maybe a ball game at night. Dining suggestions? Say Italian?

Monday: Cleveland Museum of Art/Natural History Museum/University Circle area. Dining suggestions out near there. Perhaps a steakhouse?

Tuesday: Put-In Bay. Perry Victory Monument. Have to yell "F**k You Westside". (Its tradition, ain't it?) Dining suggestions perhaps for Sandusky and environs after coming off the Jet Express

Wednesday: Pro Football Hall of Fame/McKinley Tomb/First Ladies NHS in Canton. Dining suggestions for Canton?

Thursday: Garfield House/Holden Arboretum. Any other suggestions for out that way including dining?

Friday: Christmas Story House, then Stan Hywet which is also putting on the play "Taming of the Shrew" in their Garden.

Dining suggestions

Saturday: Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Biking/hiking/sightseeing. Cleveland Orchestra concert/picnic at Blossom in the evening.

(not planning Cedar Point, too crowded) But did I miss anything else major that I should consider? Canoing at Mohican is another possibility at some point if there are extra days. Thanks for any tips.

I have found the trolly tour a fun way to see the main sights and kill a few hours.

Maybe include lunch in Little Italy when you go out to the museums...

I would make it a point to hit the Westside Market and then catch lunch and a beverage across the street at GLB.

Sushi Rock is an excellent sushi place down in the Flats. A little pricey, but fantastic food and not a bad walk from the R&R HoF. There's also that one restaurant right on the water, the name escapes me but if you've been down to the Flats you know which one I'm talking about. I think it's the Dock Waterfront Pub and Eatery but I'm not 100%. They've got pretty good Seafood and some other Pasta dishes and steaks that are good.

Big pluses for Put-In Bay and Jacob's Field. Those are wonderful things to see and experience when visiting NE Ohio.

I have found the trolly tour a fun way to see the main sights and kill a few hours.

Maybe include lunch in Little Italy when you go out to the museums...

I would make it a point to hit the Westside Market and then catch lunch and a beverage across the street at GLB.

Great ideas. Little Italy after the University Circle day. Westside market after the Christmas Story house. Its out in that neighborhood.

Sushi Rock is an excellent sushi place down in the Flats. A little pricey, but fantastic food and not a bad walk from the R&R HoF. There's also that one restaurant right on the water, the name escapes me but if you've been down to the Flats you know which one I'm talking about. I think it's the Dock Waterfront Pub and Eatery but I'm not 100%. They've got pretty good Seafood and some other Pasta dishes and steaks that are good.

Big pluses for Put-In Bay and Jacob's Field. Those are wonderful things to see and experience when visiting NE Ohio.

Are you thinking of the place on the West side of the Flats? Used to be D'Poo's? Or The Watermark? It has been quite some years since I have gone down that way....the places I mention have probably gone out or had name changes long ago.

Canton has mostly chain restaurants but there are some nice local ones. La Pizzeria is my favorite. Its on Dressler Ave. It's really big portions for a fair price. The bread is great and the only hostess I've seen is a freaking ten. She has really big brains, if you know what I mean. If you want any other suggestions, let me know.

Sunday: Dining suggestions? Say Italian? If it wasn't Sunday, I would say Luigis.

Monday: Dining suggestions out near there. Perhaps a steakhouse? BDs Mongolian BBQ in Coventry

Tuesday: Dining suggestions perhaps for Sandusky and environs after coming off the Jet Express? Red Gable Mesquite Grill

Wednesday: Dining suggestions for Canton? Fedeli Restaurant (friend is head chef)

Thursday: Any other suggestions for out that way including dining? I have no idea where that is

Friday: Dining suggestions? Vegiterranian Resturant in Akron

Are you thinking of the place on the West side of the Flats? Used to be D'Poo's? Or The Watermark? It has been quite some years since I have gone down that way....the places I mention have probably gone out or had name changes long ago.

Honestly I don't remember where exactly. I know it's been there forever though. Basically there's an upper portion that's like a big wooden deck where the bar is, and then there's a lower restaurant that goes out on this little pavillion which sits on the water. You have to go through another restaurant to get back to the outdoor area, but it's a fun place to go eat. I'll find out the name of it tonight and post it.

You are going to be beat after that week!

I will try to think of some more ideas for you. But off the top of my head here is what I am thinking right now.

I really enjoyed the ss cod submarine that is right down the street from the rock hall. If you have never been inside a sub it is pretty cool to see.

I also was talking with a friend yesterday about a resturaunt downtown that has a top chef. It is supposed to be great. I will try to get the name.

I also liked the imax next to the rock hall.

In Canton area

I would consider the museum and next to the Monument (tomb) It has been years since I have been there but I remember it was pretty cool and it also has a planetarium. (who doesn't enjoy leaning back in a chair and checking out the stars for a few.)

If you want to enjoy the night life in thr Canton area stay in Belden Village area, or whatever the mall is called now. (Jackson Township) The Pub is always hoping at night with beautiful young women. And you will feel like you are in Cleveland because there is a Panini's right next door.

There is also a state park up in Cuyahoga falls that I used to hike. One where the glaziers stopped and it has some really cool rock formations.

Also although its not high class eating at all but if you are in that region and you don't hit Swenson's for a

burger and a shake it would be a crime!!!

And another favorite snack in that area is a Kraus's double crust (topper pizza) people who grew up there alway seem to have to get one when they go back to visit.

Let me know if you want any additional info. I lived there for 25 years.

Canton has mostly chain restaurants but there are some nice local ones. La Pizzeria is my favorite. Its on Dressler Ave. It's really big portions for a fair price. The bread is great and the only hostess I've seen is a freaking ten. She has really big brains, if you know what I mean. If you want any other suggestions, let me know.

Once upon a time Chris Spielman owned a place called The Stables one exit past the HOF. It was a total football themed place. They had a great Sunday Brunch, but I don't know if that place is even operating now under that name or any other.

Or, as Monty Python would say "she has huge....tracts of land"?

You are going to be beat after that week!

It is an idealized itinerary only, nothing is set in stone.

I will try to think of some more ideas for you. But off the top of my head here is what I am thinking right now.

I really enjoyed the ss cod submarine that is right down the street from the rock hall. If you have never been inside a sub it is pretty cool to see.

I also was talking with a friend yesterday about a resturaunt downtown that has a top chef. It is supposed to be great. I will try to get the name.

I also liked the imax next to the rock hall.

Those would be all good for the "Downtown Cleveland day", though, like you said, it might be a bit much to chew.. I think the chef you are thinking of is this Michael Simon, who said he would come to LeBron's house once a month to cook him dinner if he stayed here.

In Canton area

I would consider the museum and next to the Monument (tomb) It has been years since I have been there but I remember it was pretty cool and it also has a planetarium. (who doesn't enjoy leaning back in a chair and checking out the stars for a few.)

If you want to enjoy the night life in thr Canton area stay in Belden Village area, or whatever the mall is called now. (Jackson Township) The Pub is always hoping at night with beautiful young women. And you will feel like you are in Cleveland because there is a Panini's right next door.

Picking up chicks or even ogling them will probably not be on the menu, given the company....but I appreciate the thought.

There is also a state park up in Cuyahoga falls that I used to hike. One where the glaziers stopped and it has some really cool rock formations.

That is not a state park. That is the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. (One of only 58 in the whole USA.) I am well familiar with that.

Also although its not high class eating at all but if you are in that region and you don't hit Swenson's for a

burger and a shake it would be a crime!!!

I occasionaly hit Skyway. Which is better?

And another favorite snack in that area is a Kraus's double crust (topper pizza) people who grew up there alway seem to have to get one when they go back to visit.

Where is this? Never heard of it. Sounds good.

Let me know if you want any additional info. I lived there for 25 years.

http://www.facebook.com/krauspizza

I think that is a topper in the picture. They are all over the Canton/North Canton and surrounding areas.

http://www.swensonsdriveins.com/

Swenson's is great. I think they put brown sugar in the meat. And they have a million dif shakes. Never had Skyway

And I don't know if that is the same park. It may be but we didn't call it that.

Swenson's is great. I think they put brown sugar in the meat. And they have a million dif shakes. Never had Skyway

And I don't know if that is the same park. It may be but we didn't call it that.

You may have called it Virginia Kendall, or The Ledges but it is all part of the CVNP

Once upon a time Chris Spielman owned a place called The Stables one exit past the HOF. It was a total football themed place. They had a great Sunday Brunch, but I don't know if that place is even operating now under that name or any other.

I forgot about Stables. It's still there and has really good food. I'm not usre if Speilman still owns it though.

I forgot about Stables. It's still there and has really good food. I'm not usre if Speilman still owns it though.

Boy, its been a long time then since I went there. I will have to check it out. (Spielman may have only lent his name to it or was a minority partner perhaps?)

My little sis waited tables and Corky and Lenny's deli on Chagrin Blvd back in the late 90's. Upon visiting her i discovered some delicious chow. ie overstuffed samiches, soups, salads even seafood.

The quality was as good as it gets for a deli..Guess the joint has been around forever....Give it a whirl

http://www.corkyandlennys.com/menu/menu.htm

1) Swenson's is a MUST stop in Northeast Ohio. BTW, I understand it's HONEY in the meat. My Bride & I grew up in Akron as Swenson's addicts & still are.

2) Canton Restaurants depend upon what you want and/or like. National Chains are everywhere & you've been given good suggestions for Canton, but I'll throw out another....It's our favorite.....

Irish Exchange on West Tuscarawas...It has ZERO atmosphere (it's a casual bar with a small, very plain dining room with a couple TVs), but GREAT food & an extremely varied menu. We've probably had just about everything on the menu over time & never been disappointed. It's always difficult to decide, from appetizers to sandwiches, to steaks, but I order the homemade chicken noodle soup EVERY trip, regardless what else I decide.

I will only say that if you are looking for fancy decor, it is NOT the place....Good food & relaxed?...OH YEAH!!!

Mike

Great ideas. Little Italy after the University Circle day. Westside market after the Christmas Story house. Its out in that neighborhood.

Why I mentioned it....though you will need to check when the market is open....it's not open 7 days a week....you may need to adjust.....but to me, the Market is one of the greatest attraction in Cleveland....it is Cleveland

JMO

My little sis waited tables and Corky and Lenny's deli on Chagrin Blvd back in the late 90's. Upon visiting her i discovered some delicious chow. ie overstuffed samiches, soups, salads even seafood.

The quality was as good as it gets for a deli..Guess the joint has been around forever....Give it a whirl

http://www.corkyandlennys.com/menu/menu.htm

Wow! That brings back memories. I didn't think Corky and Lenny's was still there. Don't know why I thought that. (Maybe because its compadre restaurant in Akron, Lou and Hy's has been gone a long time) I was very much a frequenter of Corky and Lenny's in Law School when I lived on Shaker Quare, but it has been probably 25 years since I was there.

Thanks for the memories.

I went to the Stables a year or so ago. It wasn't nearly as nice as it used to be. Consider The 356th Fighter Group. Great food, cool atmosphere.

www.356fg.com

I think the park in Cuyahoga Falls is Gorge Metropark. It's part of the Summit County park system

http://www.summitmetroparks.org/ParksAndTrails/Gorge.aspx

It could be The Gorge, or Sand Run I guess. Based on his description of the rock formation I thought it sounded like The Ledges though in CVNP

Depending on what your time frame is... and what they are interested in...

If you are going to the Canton area, you could drive on down to Dover Ohio,

and not far, about 1/2 mile off the expressway, there is the Warther Museum -

he carved fascinating toy trains bigtime, and in SugarCreek in Amish country, his son does ships...

and near that there is an Amish restaurant.

Kids would like Rolling Acres Ranch for the kids, you ride around on a wagon, and see and can feed exotic animals...

And, there is the Classic Car museum in downtown Canton... and the McKinley Monument and the Discovery Museum next door...

there's the Hartville flea market - M, Thurs, Fri, Sat with the Hartville Kitchen restaurant and amazing gift shop, with unique

hand crafted relief scultped pictures on the wall, and paintings for sale upstairs.

well, not far from that, is the biggest attraction, over 900 tomato plants on our farm... GGG

You may have called it Virginia Kendall, or The Ledges but it is all part of the CVNP

Virginia Kendall!!!! That was it!!! Thamk you.

he carved fascinating toy trains bigtime, and in SugarCreek in Amish country, his son does ships...

Kids would like Rolling Acres Ranch for the kids, you ride around on a wagon, and see and can feed exotic animals...

And, there is the Classic Car museum in downtown Canton... and the McKinley Monument and the Discovery Museum next door...

there's the Hartville flea market - M, Thurs, Fri, Sat with the Hartville Kitchen restaurant and amazing gift shop, with unique

hand crafted relief scultped pictures on the wall, and paintings for sale upstairs.

well, not far from that, is the biggest attraction, over 900 tomato plants on our farm... GGG

Well, I had thought about the whole "Amish Country" thing. And like Cedar Point, it was something that I thought would not fit in the one week plan. But you are right, there are a myriad of things to do on such a venture. Especially eating!

(But no can do on a Sunday, everything is closed)

There's a restaurant just East of the Rock & Roll HOF... It's right on the water, and it's called "Hornblowers". The food is alright, but the view on Lake Erie is really nice (especially if you sit outside).

The last time I was at the Tower City Mall (last year), it had changed alot, since I was there 15 years ago. There were large groups of thug kids wondering around. Many of the better stores were closed, too. It wasn't like how I remembered it.

i am all about that amish comfort food....chicken n noodle, beefy noodles, cooked apples and mashed taters amd fresh maters and three kinds of gravy... There is an amish

establishment near me in Plain City, Oh called Der Dutchman where the viddles are off the j

1) Swenson's is a MUST stop in Northeast Ohio. BTW, I understand it's HONEY in the meat. My Bride & I grew up in Akron as Swenson's addicts & still are.

2) Canton Restaurants depend upon what you want and/or like. National Chains are everywhere & you've been given good suggestions for Canton, but I'll throw out another....It's our favorite.....

Irish Exchange on West Tuscarawas...It has ZERO atmosphere (it's a casual bar with a small, very plain dining room with a couple TVs), but GREAT food & an extremely varied menu. We've probably had just about everything on the menu over time & never been disappointed. It's always difficult to decide, from appetizers to sandwiches, to steaks, but I order the homemade chicken noodle soup EVERY trip, regardless what else I decide.

I will only say that if you are looking for fancy decor, it is NOT the place....Good food & relaxed?...OH YEAH!!!

Mike

It has been a very very look time since I have been to Tim's Tavern but I hear it is still really good. What do you think about that place.

Also If your Sunday ends up with you being by the Akron/Canton airport The brunch and the 356 Fighter Group is the bomb!

Archived