THE BROWNS BOARD

Steelers writer challenging browns fans

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/411400-..._medium=twitter

Throwing Down the Gauntlet: Challenge to Any Browns Fan

by Nick Signorelli Senior Writer

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

As a Steelers fan, I have had the privilege of being a fan of the Greatest Team Ever. That is not anything anyone can dispute. The Steelers are the owners of 6 Lombardi Trophies, more than any other team.

So, until the Cowboys or 49ers win one, then we sit on top of the mountain alone.

I do have to admire fans of other fan bases. I am doing a series right now about, Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl , stating why each of the 32 teams will not win it this year. Those fans that have bad teams, like the Lions, are optimistic about who they are.

Other fan bases, like the Browns, are a little more than optimistic.

There is a writer for the Browns, Samuel Ingro. Sam started writing about the same time I did here on Bleacher. Though he is a Browns writer, I still follow him, because, honestly, I think he is a good writer.

Sam recently wrote an article, titled "Cleveland Browns: What If Jake Delhomme Falters in Training Camp ?"

Now, me being the sarcastic person I am, left a comment, What if? Don't you mean when?

I say that for two reasons.

1 - Jake Delhomme, in MY opinion, is not now, or ever really was a great QB. The 2009 season for Delhomme was a nightmare. He would even admit to that.

2 - The only reason Delhomme is a Brown right now, is to give Colt McCoy the chance to develop.

I believe that the Browns are not a good team right now. I believe that they are at least a couple years from being even good.

But, some Browns fans have decided to go after me, and MY Steelers.

Jerry Desualniers wrote - Do I detect a Steelers fan that can't stomach the pending outcome of his team. We understand, we can help, we know how you feel. We even know how you will feel by game 7. The cellar of the AFC North is a lonely place, keep it warm for the Bungles. They will fight you for it next year.

Brandon Sommers wrote - Nick, the Steelers D has been excellent for years, but they're running out of gas. Polamalu will be out for the season by the 3rd week. By the time Ben gets back(providing he can stay out of prison), he'll be massively distracted and the team will be in a complete state of disarray. Hines Ward is like 150 years old now and you've traded Holmes, so you have no one left to catch the ball. The Browns line in WAY better than the Steelers line. Our Defense is greatly improved. We have one of the top 5 running games in the league. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think the Browns are anywhere close to a playoff team, but I think the Steelers are gonna be REALLY bad this season. Browns:7-9 Steelers:5-11

And Sam himself, even wrote...

I think our offensive line is SIGNIFICANTLY better than yours. Mack and Thomas are Pro Bowlers all the way.

I also think our secondary blows yours out of the water, I'll give you linebackers, flip a coin on the defensive line.

I wouldn't mind having Roethlisberger, but I think McCoy has a bright future as well, he is the most accurate and winningest QB in college football, and if Gil Brandt and Mike Holmgren believe in him, then I tend to lean that way as well.

The running game IS as good as I think, Hardesty, Harrison, Davis, and Hillis being led by Vickers? I'll take that all day compared to your lone back in Mendenhall.

If I was in Vegas and had $1000 to bet on the Browns or Steelers, I would put it on Cleveland, since there is no sense in betting money on a sinking ship (Pittsburgh).

So, if these three men, or any other Browns fan really believes this, then I would like to throw out a challenge for you.

The bet - If the Steelers do not finish with a better record than the Browns, you win. Even if the Steelers and Browns end the season with the same record, you win.

If the Steelers finish with a better record than the Browns, then I win.

The wager - Two articles.

Article #1 - Why the winners team is so much better than the losers team. History, coaches, players, and even the city.

The article has to be NO LESS than 2,000 words, and it must be completed before the Super Bowl.

Article #2 - Why the other teams fan base is so much better than the losers.

This article has to be NO LESS than 1,000 words, and it must be completed and published the day of the Super Bowl.

So, what do you say, Browns fans? Any of you want to take me up on my bet?

Who really gives a shit what this guy says or thinks. He was dead ass wrong right from the first sentence. When he says "ever" he doesn't really mean ever. He probably only means "since my sorry ass started sucking my mommies tits."

If he meant "ever" then he would have to go back 90 years to make that determination.

Thus, he loses all credibility right off the get go, and anything from there on is sure to be pablum.

Who really gives a shit what this guy says or thinks. He was dead ass wrong right from the first sentence. When he says "ever" he doesn't really mean ever. He probably only means "since my sorry ass started sucking my mommies tits."

If he meant "ever" then he would have to go back 90 years to make that determination.

Thus, he loses all credibility right off the get go, and anything from there on is sure to be pablum.

Nevermind that the Browns have 8 championships combined in the NFL and AAFC. Why is it they recognize the players stats from the AAFC, but not the championships? Furthermore, doesn't Green Bay have like 12? I guess in Pittsburgh they don't recognize anything prior to the 70's? :rolleyes: Let's face it, I realize the Browns haven't won s*** since 1964, but the Super Bowl is a fancy word for championship. I'm sure we'll get the typical response "well it was a different league back then, and blah blah blah..." They're still championships, and in my book they count!

Sure Pittsburgh has a huge fan base. Outside of Pittsburgh though, a ton of them are front runners. I think our fanbase is better, because we have stayed devoted despite our short comings! What would happen in Pittsburgh if they let's say string together a couple of below .500 teams? Also, try losing a team! Yet we fought for it's return, and got it! Now those are fans!

Nevermind that the Browns have 8 championships combined in the NFL and AAFC. Why is it they recognize the players stats from the AAFC, but not the championships? Furthermore, doesn't Green Bay have like 12? I guess in Pittsburgh they don't recognize anything prior to the 70's? :rolleyes: Let's face it, I realize the Browns haven't won s*** since 1964, but the Super Bowl is a fancy word for championship. I'm sure we'll get the typical response "well it was a different league back then, and blah blah blah..." They're still championships, and in my book they count!

Sure Pittsburgh has a huge fan base. Outside of Pittsburgh though, a ton of them are front runners. I think our fanbase is better, because we have stayed devoted despite our short comings! What would happen in Pittsburgh if they let's say string together a couple of below .500 teams? Also, try losing a team! Yet we fought for it's return, and got it! Now those are fans!

good post! other than samuel ingro (the browns writer who made a couple of good points) the rest of those guys in the op sound like a bunch of nostradumbasses who guarantee things that they have absolutely no control over.

Some of the comments made by the Browns fan in that article are completely ridiculous. The defensive line is a coin flip? Your secondary is better? and then talking about Colt McCoy and his college production as a preview for coming events? lol. I know not everyone subscribes to that camp so I'm not going to dive to far in to it. As far as the "front runners" comment by SJ is concerned I totally disagree. Are there front runners? absolutely but is it a majority of the fan base outside of Pittsburgh? absolutely not. I'm sure most of the history buffs know that Pittsburgh was the industrial capital of the world at one point of time. When the Steel industry crashed a lot of people were displaced and with that displacement they still maintained their "fandom" if you will of the Steelers. There are Steeler bars all over the United States. It's not a "front runner" mentality. I'm sure someone will argue my point but they'll be incorrect. A majority? Absolutely not.

Some of the comments made by the Browns fan in that article are completely ridiculous. The defensive line is a coin flip? Your secondary is better? and then talking about Colt McCoy and his college production as a preview for coming events? lol. I know not everyone subscribes to that camp so I'm not going to dive to far in to it. As far as the "front runners" comment by SJ is concerned I totally disagree. Are there front runners? absolutely but is it a majority of the fan base outside of Pittsburgh? absolutely not. I'm sure most of the history buffs know that Pittsburgh was the industrial capital of the world at one point of time. When the Steel industry crashed a lot of people were displaced and with that displacement they still maintained their "fandom" if you will of the Steelers. There are Steeler bars all over the United States. It's not a "front runner" mentality. I'm sure someone will argue my point but they'll be incorrect. A majority? Absolutely not.

You are looking at it with rose colored, or is that urine colored glasses. Yes, there IS a large loyal Steeler fan base out there....but...there absofrakkinglutely is a LARGE pile of frontrunners with frontrunner mentality. (I don't know about a majority, but it is s significant percentage). You are correct that there is a large displaced group of Steeler fans, (and a large displaced group of Browns fans)

So, you are both right about that, but wrong if you don't think there are scads of frontrunners out there wearing maize and black.

(and if the tables were turned, I suspect there would probably be huge numbers of FRAK Browns fans as well. Look at the huge pile of FRAKs that exist for the Cowboys and other teams. The 49ers had them....including your Steelers QB)

No doubt there are a bunch of bandwagon fans, but i don't see a problem with that. it's really something you want IMO. It means you are pretty good.

We have, or maybe had that with the Cavs the last couple of years. I see quite a few Cavs jersey's and hats around here. I finally quit going up to people asking them if they were Cleveland fans, as none were.

No doubt there are a bunch of bandwagon fans, but i don't see a problem with that. it's really something you want IMO. It means you are pretty good.

We have, or maybe had that with the Cavs the last couple of years. I see quite a few Cavs jersey's and hats around here. I finally quit going up to people asking them if they were Cleveland fans, as none were.

I have this categorization of fans that I think applies here:

Diehard fans: they are a fan of a team, win, lose or draw. You can especially tell how good a team's fans are when times are toughest as fans will stick by their team throught elongated losing. The Browns, obviously have a significant diehard fan base.

Fairweather Fans: they ARE fans of a particular team or teams in a city....but basically only when they are doing well. The Indians for a time had a lot of its fairweather fans come out of the woodwork. They will not shed their allegiance for another team, but they will only show up when the getting is good.

FrontRunnerAssKissers: FRAKs. These are essentially fans whose allegiance is for sale. They will suckle the scrotum of whomever is winning. You have seen tons of these types at time wearing their Yankee/Cowboy/Celtic/Laker/Steeler gear.

Our resident FRAK is none other than LeBron James. Big Ben was a 49er FRAK. They are all over the place, really.

Diehard fans: they are a fan of a team, win, lose or draw. You can especially tell how good a team's fans are when times are toughest as fans will stick by their team throught elongated losing. The Browns, obviously have a significant diehard fan base.

Fairweather Fans: they ARE fans of a particular team or teams in a city....but basically only when they are doing well. The Indians for a time had a lot of its fairweather fans come out of the woodwork. They will not shed their allegiance for another team, but they will only show up when the getting is good.

FrontRunnerAssKissers: FRAKs. These are essentially fans whose allegiance is for sale. They will suckle the scrotum of whomever is winning. You have seen tons of these types at time wearing their Yankee/Cowboy/Celtic/Laker/Steeler gear.

Our resident FRAK is none other than LeBron James. Big Ben was a 49er FRAK. They are all over the place, really.

You can also call some of these so called Cavs fans FRAKS!! Where were the fans in the 90s, when they sucked? Now you're lucky to be able to get tickets to a Cavs game. The Indians are the same way. When they suck, nobody goes, and you can walk up and buy a ticket on game day. Further proof to me that the Browns are still the #1 sports team, and football is still king in this town even with the Cavs having Lebron. The Browns no matter what sell out. All though we had a few close ones last year, when I thought they were going to be blacked out. Anyways, I'd be willing to see how many fans the Browns accumulate once they start becoming a playoff and Super Bowl contender. I'm sure you'll hear that they "were always Browns fans" RIIIIIIIIGHT! :rolleyes:

Fairweather yes but "FRAKs" I respectfully disagree. I don't believe that percentage is substantial. You also can't possibly lump in the kids growing up that are fans of specific players. The Niners had Montana, the Broncos had Elway. Hell I was a HUGE Bulls fan growing up but I also lived and breathed basketball through most of my childhood. MJ was the best and everyone worked to "BE LIKE MIKE". It those sort of players that are hard to dislike and very easy to like because their at the top of their craft. Once again you can't lump kids growing up loving a franchise because of a certain player as members of the "FRAK" camp.

As far as the Steelers are concerned the 70's were tough on Pittsburgh and the Steelers were EVERYTHING to the city. I already mentioned the displaced fans. Those same displaced fans had kids of their own and their kids had kids and so on and so forth. Those kids may have been born in Ohio but grew up loving the Steelers because their dad, grandad or whomever did. I encountered my fair share in Ohio and honestly questioned every last one. 90% of the time I'd get a very real and legit response explaining why they are Steeler diehards despite being born in Ohio. I also encountered the other 10% but those fans exist with most franchises that win.

And just because your team has lost for the last 20 years and fans have stuck by doesn't make your fan base any "Tougher" than any number of bases in the NFL. The Steelers lost plenty in the 80's and it was still impossible to get tickets. Fans had the highest of highs in the 70's and then endured some lows in the 80's. All the while understanding that Pittsburgh was going to rebuild and get back to the top. All of which is evidenced by the two Lombardi's this decade. The Browns base is no stronger or weaker than what Pittsburgh is bringing to the table and I always get a good laugh when I read that your fan base is somehow more "diehard" because you've stuck by your team when they've lost. Plenty of people don't and I saw it first hand while I was in Ohio.

Fairweather yes but "FRAKs" I respectfully disagree. I don't believe that percentage is substantial. You also can't possibly lump in the kids growing up that are fans of specific players. The Niners had Montana, the Broncos had Elway. Hell I was a HUGE Bulls fan growing up but I also lived and breathed basketball through most of my childhood. MJ was the best and everyone worked to "BE LIKE MIKE". It those sort of players that are hard to dislike and very easy to like because their at the top of their craft. Once again you can't lump kids growing up loving a franchise because of a certain player as members of the "FRAK" camp.

Dayton, Ohio report- 70% Steeler fans FRAKS or Fairweather. I've lived in Dayton a long time and grew up in Cleveland. FWIW, Steeler fans were non-existent in Dayton in the early 70's, and don't try and hand me the BS line 1\2 of Pittsburgh relocated to SW Ohio after the mills shut down. Bengal Fans 90% fairweather. Browns fans 90%+ hardcore- you have to be with the Stripers just 50 miles down the road. Lots of oldtimers that predate the Bengals when the Browns were the only show in town- and that's been passed down to the next generation. Sorry, just the way it is.

In response to Robotron.

Just like u support MJ and the bulls there are various people who have taken a liking to Steelers. Would you have supported Bulls if they did not win so many championships or if MJ was not there ? Do you still support the Bulls ? Whom you support is your choice and fairly so; but to a person in New York who was a fan of the Ewing era you will be not be a "hard core" Bulls fan. And if u have changed allegiance now then more so.

It is similar with many other Steeler fans. Sure the hardcore fans are there; but to pretend like the fair weather fans dont exist is silly. Also in the 1970s many teams had loyal supporters and the population of the USA did not explode like it did in this decade nor was marketing such a huge deal. loyalty was handed from parents to the kids and not from the TV to the kids. So rest assured that in this period of marketing and brand conciseness, a lot of fair weather people do exist and with the Steelers having seen the success that they have, they too will have their share of such fans.

And regarding loyalty. If you are going to compare just the hardcore fans then the loyalty can be deemed even. But if you were to compare the total fan base (including the fair weather ones) then the Steelers will outnumber the Browns in quantity but the Browns will have the higher quality. That is just a curse that comes with winning and is not the fault of true fans.

I can do anything I damn well please. If a kid grows up in the Pittsburgh area, I believe he should be loyal to that local team and root for the Steelers, not the 49ers or the Cowboys...or even the Browns. You are describing the perfect FRAK: I like the Bulls because I like Montana, I like the 49ers because I like Jordan. Classic frontrunnerasskisser behavior.

When I was Growing up, the Yankees were the best team, and some of the best players like Mickey Mantle, who I thought were great and liked to watch....but I sure the F*** didn't become a Yankee fan because of it. Also, the Celtics were right in the middle of their great run. Did I become a Celtic fan because I like Russell and Havlicek? F((( NO. Jordan was a great player...not as good as Magic Johnson, but I sure the F*** wasn't going to become a Bulls/Lakers fans because of what I thought of the talents of those players.

As far as the Steelers are concerned the 70's were tough on Pittsburgh and the Steelers were EVERYTHING to the city. I already mentioned the displaced fans. Those same displaced fans had kids of their own and their kids had kids and so on and so forth. Those kids may have been born in Ohio but grew up loving the Steelers because their dad, grandad or whomever did. I encountered my fair share in Ohio and honestly questioned every last one. 90% of the time I'd get a very real and legit response explaining why they are Steeler diehards despite being born in Ohio. I also encountered the other 10% but those fans exist with most franchises that win.

I can halfway buy that if a person's dad was from Peetown and was a Steeler fan that a kid in Ohio would follow his dad's lead and be a Steeler fan. But 90% of the Ohio Steeler fans being that way? I think not. I suspect that any reason somebody gave you might consider legit. I might think those reasons completely spurious.

And just because your team has lost for the last 20 years and fans have stuck by doesn't make your fan base any "Tougher" than any number of bases in the NFL. The Steelers lost plenty in the 80's and it was still impossible to get tickets.

The Steelers had all of 3 losing seasons in the 80s. Boophukinghoo. Then why did they have games in which only 35-40 K people show up at in a 59000 seat stadium if they were so supportive? As bad as the Browns have been, they never sunk that low.

Fans had the highest of highs in the 70's and then endured some lows in the 80's. All the while understanding that Pittsburgh was going to rebuild and get back to the top. All of which is evidenced by the two Lombardi's this decade. The Browns base is no stronger or weaker than what Pittsburgh is bringing to the table and I always get a good laugh when I read that your fan base is somehow more "diehard" because you've stuck by your team when they've lost. Plenty of people don't and I saw it first hand while I was in Ohio.

Well, how about we put this to the test. Let's have the Steelers duplicate the Pirates and have a losing season for the next 18 years. Then we will put your theory to the test. We don't even have to go that far. Let's say that we have the Steelers duplicate in the next 20 years what the Browns accomplished the last 20 years. That will give you 2 playoff seasons and maybe 3-4 winning seasons.

In response to Robotron.

Just like u support MJ and the bulls there are various people who have taken a liking to Steelers. Would you have supported Bulls if they did not win so many championships or if MJ was not there ? Do you still support the Bulls ? Whom you support is your choice and fairly so; but to a person in New York who was a fan of the Ewing era you will be not be a "hard core" Bulls fan. And if u have changed allegiance now then more so.

I have seen some people use the line "well, I became a fan because when I was young I became a fan of blah, blah, blah. But, I notice they still profess their "fandom" but it is always for the teams that have won a lot, like the Yankees, Steelers, Lakers, Celtics, etc. How often have you heard guys say, I am a fan now of the Kansas City Royals because I liked George Brett when I was growing up, and the Royals were winners. Don't hear much of that, now do you?

It is similar with many other Steeler fans. Sure the hardcore fans are there; but to pretend like the fair weather fans dont exist is silly. Also in the 1970s many teams had loyal supporters and the population of the USA did not explode like it did in this decade nor was marketing such a huge deal. loyalty was handed from parents to the kids and not from the TV to the kids. So rest assured that in this period of marketing and brand conciseness, a lot of fair weather people do exist and with the Steelers having seen the success that they have, they too will have their share of such fans.

Yes, well the one thing I rue is the attempt by some people, particularly the NBA it seems to have people be a fan of a specific player, be that Jordan, LeBron, Kobe etc. That's fine if this were golf or tennis. But these are team sports. Those guys are only part of a team that represents a city. When they rename the city LeBronville I guess I will root for LeBron the player, but now, I root (rooted?) for him because he was a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Some of the players are of the mindset that fans should root for them individually. F*** that. LeBron thinks perhaps "I need to go get my ring, and my fans should be happy for me to get my ring, whereever I get it" BUZZZZZZ. NOT!

If LeBron thinks that any Cavs fan should root for him or be glad he would get a ring as a member of the Bulls, or Knicks or Nets or whoever, he is smoking his own shorts. I would root for him to never win a title. Let him go without a title just like we have. I root for my team, my city. I have been very glad to have him on my team, playing for my city. And I would be very glad for him to continue to do so. But if he leaves, F*** him. He can lose every damn game.

I might understand his decision to leave, but I sure the flack ain't going to wish him well.

I suppose I can give that kid who was born here who was a Steelers fan if they had a parent that grew up in PA. My wife has a cousin with that exact same situation. Her uncle was born in PA and so his first son followed the Steelers along with his dad. However; his other 2 kids were Browns fans. You can only imagine that household during football season! :lol: What I can't stand is the Ohio born Steelers fan who roots for them having absolutely NO ties to Pittsburgh whatsoever!! Go f***in' move there then! I'm with Gip on the MJ thing too. Sure he was great! But I sure as Hell wasn't going to root for him, because I am a CLEVELAND FAN!!!! Bottom line is I root for my city and it's teams! If you aren't on that team, I don't care how great you are, how many championships or whatever the case may be, I'm not rooting for you! What kills me is that same Ohio born Steelers fan will root for the Cavs, Indians or Buckeyes. Either you root for all of your home teams, or none!

No disrespect for Steelers fans that relocated here from PA BTW. I would do the same being a Browns fan if I had the misfortune of moving to Pittsburgh. However; it's doubtful that will ever happen, so no worries here.

What a pompous @SSHole!

But everyone in Ohio knows he had to write an article directed towards those people who know how to read.

If the schools in PA could teach those morons how to read we wouldn't be hearing about this crap.

Archived