THE BROWNS BOARD

Giants Rookie Saftey badly injured in car crash !!

kamac19

This guy was probably quite high on our draft board, at least if he is unable to play football again, he might get a chance through baseball instead so all the best to him on his recovery.

Giants Safety Chad Jones car crash

Giants rookie Chad Jones hurt in New Orleans crash

Fri Jun 25, 6:50 pm ET

NEW ORLEANS – Chad Jones, a two-sport star at LSU who was drafted by the New York Giants, underwent surgery for a broken left leg and ankle Friday following a dawn wreck in which his SUV smashed into a pole.

Jones was admitted to the LSU Public Hospital in New Orleans in guarded condition. His agent, Rocky Arceneaux, disclosed the injuries to The Associated Press but could not be more specific about their severity until operation was over and he heard from the doctors. Arceneaux said the 21-year-old player was alert when taken to the hospital.

It was not clear what caused Jones to lose control of his vehicle at about 6 a.m. on a six-lane thoroughfare with a streetcar line on the west side of the city, police spokeswoman Shereese Harper said.

Jones was extracted from the SUV, but the two other men riding with him were fine, Harper said. She said it was too early in the investigation to know if Jones was speeding, and police will run toxicology reports to see if alcohol was a factor.

Arceneaux said he spoke to the passengers, who said Jones was in the far left lane and turned the wheel abruptly to get his tires off the streetcar tracks grooves. The vehicle then rolled into a pole that carries an overhead electrical wire powering the streetcar line.

The concrete base of the pole was cracked and broken. The pole was scuffed but remained standing, and the streetcar line reopened when the site was cleared.

The driver's side of the SUV appeared to have been violently compressed, according to people who saw the wreckage before it was removed.

"It was so crushed in," said Liz Lapre, who works across the street from the accident site at store selling recreational gear. "I kept looking at it like, 'Did they make it? Did they survive?'"

Bobby Johnson, the store's co-owner, took a photo of the wreckage, unaware at the time the vehicle belonged to Jones.

"I took a picture just because you don't see a car every day that bashed up," he said. "The whole driver's side was caved in."

Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon issued a statement from the team late Friday afternoon.

"We continue to gather information on Chad's condition, and obviously our primary concern is for his health and well being," the team said. "Jerry Reese and his staff have maintained contact with Chad's family throughout the day."

Jones, a safety, was drafted in the third round. He was part of the Tigers' 2007 national championship team and also was a left-handed relief pitcher — whose fastball surpassed 90 mph — for the 2009 LSU baseball team that won the 2009 College World Series. Known affectionately as "Dreadlocks of Doom" by teammates and LSU fans, he was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers weeks after the Giants selected him in the NFL draft. He signed with the Giants last week after taking part in a mandatory minicamp

He was one hell of a College Ball player. He will take a year to recover and I think he will get a shot in the NFL. I dont know how hard it will be to recover from a broken leg and ankle, but sports medicine today is amazing and they will figure it out.

He was one hell of a College Ball player. He will take a year to recover and I think he will get a shot in the NFL. I dont know how hard it will be to recover from a broken leg and ankle, but sports medicine today is amazing and they will figure it out.

It isn't so much the fact that he broke his leg and/or his ankle. Many players have come back just fine after broken legs.

Its the fact he broke his femur that is the most troubling thing. That is the major stabilizing bone in the body, that takes the most stress from contact sports. It was absolutely amazing that Frank Mir came back at the high level he did after that motorcycle accident where he broke his femur several years ago.

The other troubling thing, is that the reports said there were exposed arteries and nerves. This is a compound break of the femur where the bone was sticking through the skin. They were also concerned about him losing his leg due to lack of blood flow to his lower leg.

He will be lucky to still keep his leg or walk normally again, let alone play football.

I gothca, I always thought a clean break was better than a fracture. I still think in an event like that, there are all the worst case senarios being talked about, so who really knows the truth. He is a superior athlete and he will recover, he just needs some duct tape.

I gothca, I always thought a clean break was better than a fracture. I still think in an event like that, there are all the worst case senarios being talked about, so who really knows the truth. He is a superior athlete and he will recover, he just needs some duct tape.

I'm not a doctor, so all I can go on is articles I've read. Of course these articles may have their own problems when it comes to exact truths on medical issues.

But from what I've read, it depends on the type of fracture. I don't quite understand all of the medical mumbo jumbo, but from what I've read, a radial fracture is better than a fracture that runs lengthwise along the grain of the bone.

A clean break, from what I've read, can be better, certainly, than a lengthwise fracture. I think a clean break is just a bad radial fracture.

But what this guy had was a compound break or fracture, where the bone broke in more than one place and pierced the skin.

I'm not a doctor, so all I can go on is articles I've read. Of course these articles may have their own problems when it comes to exact truths on medical issues.

But from what I've read, it depends on the type of fracture. I don't quite understand all of the medical mumbo jumbo, but from what I've read, a radial fracture is better than a fracture that runs lengthwise along the grain of the bone.

A clean break, from what I've read, can be better, certainly, than a lengthwise fracture. I think a clean break is just a bad radial fracture.

But what this guy had was a compound break or fracture, where the bone broke in more than one place and pierced the skin.

Ouch! Compounds are no good. When I played football in High School our rb had a compound fracture to his femur and it sounded like a shotgun blast when it happened. It was pretty gross and he passed out from the pain. He never did recover, but I dont know if thats from the lack of sports med back then or what.

Police receive toxicology results on Chad Jones

Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2010 7:26 AM ET

Buried at the bottom of a USA Today update regarding Friday's automobile accident involving Giants safety Chad Jones is a potentially significant disclosure.

Police have received Jones toxicology test results, according to his agent, Rocky Arceneaux.

"I'm not certain, but I do not think alcohol was involved in the accident," Arceneaux told USA Today.

Though Jones faces far more important challenges as he recovery from the serious leg injuries he suffered, the question of whether alcohol was a factor in the accident could be a factor in the Giants' decision whether to withhold Jones' $320,000 base salary if/when he's placed on the non-football illness/injury list.

Archived