THE BROWNS BOARD

iPhone 4G controversy

BrownIndian

The problem surfaced first in Engadget, a U.S.-based gadget site, early Thursday morning, less than an hour after Apple (AAPL) launched the iPhone 4 in North America.

By Sunday, the London Daily Mail was quoting Steve Jobs to the effect that the entire shipment might have to be recalled -- a report that was scrubbed from the paper's website when the editors discovered that its only source was a Twitter message that was clearly not written by Steve Jobs.

The issue, if there are any readers who have not yet heard, is the iPhone 4's tendency to lose signal strength when held in the so-called "Death Grip" -- with the gap between two sections of its novel external antenna array covered by the left hand.

"Non issue," the real Steve Jobs e-mailed one customer on Thursday. "Just avoid holding it that way."

By Sunday, Jobs had changed his tune:

"There is no reception issue, " he told a second e-mail correspondent. "Stay tuned."

That's a message Apple's PR department seemed to have missed when it released its official statement on the matter:

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

That explanation was immediately seized upon as evidence of "discrimination" at Apple by a spokesperson for the Left-Handed Club, who suggested that Steve Jobs might begin employing more left-handers in his design and product-testing departments.

Meanwhile, several antenna experts have stepped forward -- one who warned of a potential problem weeks before the phone was released -- to offer contradictory theories about what's really going on.

How will the saga end?

from: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/06/27/the...eath-grip-saga/

Droid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got my Droid and dear god I love it, I have never had a smart phone and this is amazing crazy stuff, you can bump phones with ppl with the same app and exchange pictures and other stuff, technology has gone so far in the last 10 years.

I have the backflip, it is a nice phone.

The one thing I didn't care for was getting the 24/7 facebook newsfeeds so I deleted that app.

If I get bored and I am out some where all I have to do is go to happenings and it will give me a display of fb updates.

It takes nice pics as well at 5. megapixels.

Archived