THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland more manly than Shitsburgh

DieHardBrownsFan

By Peter Chakerian, Associated Content

The old Cleveland motto splayed across T-shirts in the 1970s and 1980s read, "Cleveland: You've Got to Be Tough!" Apparently, you have to be manly, as well. At least, that's what Bert Sperling, research expert behind the ever-popular "Best Places to Live" studies, says.

Cleveland, along with four other major Ohio cities, made Sperling's top 50 "Manliest Cities in America" list — born from a study commissioned annually by Mars Chocolate North America, maker of Combos-brand pretzel snacks, to aid a product-driven contest.

Columbus nearly topped the list this year, moving up five spots to No. 2, with Cleveland (No. 15), Cincinnati (No. 20), Toledo (No. 26) and Dayton (No. 34) rounding out the Buckeye State finishers.

All five Ohio cities ranked ahead of Pittsburgh for manliness — the Steel City is ranked No. 37.

Take that, Steelers fans!

Manliness? Do tell...

Clevelanders like Christine Borne Nickras are quick to crack up at the distinction, despite there being some semblance of truth to it.

"This is a city where we put pierogi on grilled cheese sandwiches and stuff them in our faces with abandon," Nickras says, referring to a menu item that nationally recognized Melt Bar & Grilled restaurants in Lakewood and Cleveland Heights serve.

"There is really not much ladylike about that."

"I would say that men in Cleveland: A. love sports; B. love beer; C. love being in Cleveland and defend it to the death; and D. love food," concurs Michelle Weitzel Knapp, who now calls Atlanta, Ga., home. "Does this all constitute 'manliness?'"

And the winners are?

Sperling has a fairly complex ranking system for the 2010 "Manliest Cities in America" list — one with a number of testosterone-driven categories by which a city's manliness points are scored.

The number of professional sports teams in a city, consumer behaviors including vehicle purchases, extracurricular activities, concentrations of "manly" stores, male magazine subscriptions (e.g., Maxim and Sports Illustrated), and occupations were among the items analyzed to determine rankings.

Alternately, "emasculating criteria" were also factored in to balance the statistics. Think minivans, cafés, and outlet and apparel shopping, and one might gain a handle on the counterpoint criteria.

It's a far cry from many "best/worst of" lists that Cleveland has landed on over the years. Forbes magazine's 2010 "Most Miserable City" index was the most recent, with "high unemployment, high taxes, lousy weather, corruption by public officials and crummy sports teams" used to calculate that ranking.

Cleveland was No. 1 on that list.

We're No. 15?

Unlike the Forbes ballyhoo, this manlier distinction has been confusingly humorous to current and former Clevelanders.

"Cleveland has nothing, according to Forbes earlier in the year," jokes North Ridgeville native Jim Rothgery. "If that is the case, you have to be manly to live in Cleveland!"

"(What) constitutes manly?" counters Cleveland native Genna Petrolla, who keeps her pulse on Cleveland at the helm of a local arts blog Messy Magazine. "Lots of dudes grunting and eating meat and watching sports? Gross, gross, gross!"

"I don't know," says Rob Humphries of Solon, continuing with a laugh. "A part of me thinks it's kind of un-manly to get excited about coming in 15th at anything."

Referring to the long-standing "sports curse" and championship drought suffered by residents, Cleveland expat Phil Shepley sums up the "win" with a line every Clevelander can relate to.

"Any man in Cleveland who hasn't cried for the past 46 years is a real man," says the Tampa, Fla., resident. "That being said, (Sperling's) definition of 'manly' seems to be a little, well, off."

Content provided by Associated Content from Yahoo!

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

I've partied plenty in both cities, and Cleveland is definitely more manly, and has much better-looking women too.

And dudes in Cleveland don't wave little yellow towels at football games or get all emotional when the QB gets a boo boo.

Zombo

I have kicked ass in both cities.........and they are both below Ytown in manliness............Zombo

I am sure you were wearing your TuTu while performing your analysis.................so gay

I have kicked ass in both cities.........and they are both below Ytown in manliness............Zombo

I am sure you were wearing your TuTu while performing your analysis.................so gay

Youngstown is manly in an old-man-scratching-his-nuts kinda way.

Zombo

Youngstown is manly in an old-man-scratching-his-nuts kinda way.

Zombo

I literally spit out a little of my milkshake when I read that! Great reply!

I have been all over this state and I would to rate the bigger cities like this

1)Cleveland

2)Cincinnati

3)Canton

4)Akron

5)Dayton

6)Columbus

Columbus isn't manly at all! I don't get how they are ranked that high!

But I will say that there are tons of small towns, redneck type of towns that are much more manly then any of the above towns. Where I live is one of them by far more manly. And not because I live here. HaHa!

There are too many gheys in Columbus for it be #2 in the country in MANLINESS!

And how can a town that subsists on being the center of government, education, and insurance, be considered more manly than a town that has subsisted on steel mills, auto manufacturing, electronics manufacturing.

The only thing to my knowledge that was ever really made in Columbus was when Anheuser-Busch put a brewery there. So, maybe that is why Columbus gets it ranking as manly: it has a brewery. I can think of no other explanation.

This list was mentioned on Lanigan nearly a month ago, and considering that one of the criteria was NASCAR related; I'd rather not be considered that manly; but one does wonder why the toothlessness and trailers associated with Pittsburgh area didn't earn greater NASCAR points. That aside, both cities have much to offer, but Cleveland wipes the floor in several important categories not the least of which is food! And Toledo and Columbus really? That makes this whole list questionable; there's not a man to be found in Columbus aside from Tressell!

Funny and the one quote in the thread says it all by mentioning the Forbes magazine list with 5 cities from Cleveland rated in the top 25 worst cities in the U.S with Cleveland at number one. "You have to be manly to live in Cleveland" because it's the worst city in the United States. I do like Columbus but it wasn't on the top 25 worst cities list.

NASCAR and ignorance should put Cleveland on the top! Yeah food really makes a city manly! I'll say one thing though....Cleveland fans can sure take a licking and keep on talking, they do both better than any other city!

Dude, we get it. You ain't F***in' tough enough to live here.

Funny and the one quote in the thread says it all by mentioning the Forbes magazine list with 5 cities from Cleveland rated in the top 25 worst cities in the U.S with Cleveland at number one. "You have to be manly to live in Cleveland" because it's the worst city in the United States. I do like Columbus but it wasn't on the top 25 worst cities list.

Looks like Speedy was right. Here comes the troll free for all.

Though I don't know how a few slaps here at Columbus brought about these Squishers ire.

(Squishers is my new name for whiny Steeler trolls. I think I like it. I may catch on. I have done it before with Ratbird fans)

NASCAR and ignorance should put Cleveland on the top! Yeah food really makes a city manly! I'll say one thing though....Cleveland fans can sure take a licking and keep on talking, they do both better than any other city!

Dude if you can't see how a Michael Symon bar devoted entirely to burgers, brats, and beer isn't manly; you're hopeless...

I have just moved to (Near) Springfield MO from Bowling Green. There are little to no jobs there. I found better work here in a week than I found in BG in six months. They call that area "The rust belt" seems to be true. I have lived there since I was 5... watched most the local business move out, Walmart crushed the local businesses.. now there is nothing. (not to mention NAFTA, or any of the other bs in washington that goes on) I'll look em up closer to game time but does anyone know a browns backer bar near Springfield? No cable or satelite, my only hope here is to catch the games at the bar if I don't have to work. My brother also streams them on the net for our loyal Browns Buddy near Niagra Falls but it looks awful. Any suggestions or help?

Looks like Speedy was right. Here comes the troll free for all.

Though I don't know how a few slaps here at Columbus brought about these Squishers ire.

(Squishers is my new name for whiny Steeler trolls. I think I like it. I may catch on. I have done it before with Ratbird fans)

I just said I like Columbus and thought the article was funny. I'm a troll now? let's define troll anyway. Is it a individual with a differing view point? I guess you like the complacent nature of this message board and your football team. I know on my Steeler boards I appreciate the view points of the rival fan base as long as they aren't acting like idiots for the sake of acting like idiots. Speed is the troll of all trolls seeing as he took the time to post messages on more than a few of my message boards and my youtube account which I hardly use. He then realized I graduated college less than 30 minutes from his residence and still had friends in the area. Mind you after he made some kiddie threats in my direction. He's a big pussy.

I just said I like Columbus and thought the article was funny. I'm a troll now? let's define troll anyway. Is it a individual with a differing view point? I guess you like the complacent nature of this message board and your football team. I know on my Steeler boards I appreciate the view points of the rival fan base as long as they aren't acting like idiots for the sake of acting like idiots. Speed is the troll of all trolls seeing as he took the time to post messages on more than a few of my message boards and my youtube account which I hardly use. He then realized I graduated college less than 30 minutes from his residence and still had friends in the area. Mind you after he made some kiddie threats in my direction. He's a big pussy.

Maybe he is a troll too....and a big pussy. That is for you to confront him with.

Operative term: too.

There you go. We even get imported testosterone!

LOL, nice one! I am sorry that you will not be able to make the Jets game this fall Gipper, I didn't get a chance to have a MANLY Cleveland chat with you last year - one Hoorta's Orange Shit comes out things get very hazy!

By Peter Chakerian, Associated Content

The old Cleveland motto splayed across T-shirts in the 1970s and 1980s read, "Cleveland: You've Got to Be Tough!" Apparently, you have to be manly, as well. At least, that's what Bert Sperling, research expert behind the ever-popular "Best Places to Live" studies, says.

Cleveland, along with four other major Ohio cities, made Sperling's top 50 "Manliest Cities in America" list — born from a study commissioned annually by Mars Chocolate North America, maker of Combos-brand pretzel snacks, to aid a product-driven contest.

Columbus nearly topped the list this year, moving up five spots to No. 2, with Cleveland (No. 15), Cincinnati (No. 20), Toledo (No. 26) and Dayton (No. 34) rounding out the Buckeye State finishers.

All five Ohio cities ranked ahead of Pittsburgh for manliness — the Steel City is ranked No. 37.

Take that, Steelers fans!

Manliness? Do tell...

Clevelanders like Christine Borne Nickras are quick to crack up at the distinction, despite there being some semblance of truth to it.

"This is a city where we put pierogi on grilled cheese sandwiches and stuff them in our faces with abandon," Nickras says, referring to a menu item that nationally recognized Melt Bar & Grilled restaurants in Lakewood and Cleveland Heights serve.

"There is really not much ladylike about that."

"I would say that men in Cleveland: A. love sports; B. love beer; C. love being in Cleveland and defend it to the death; and D. love food," concurs Michelle Weitzel Knapp, who now calls Atlanta, Ga., home. "Does this all constitute 'manliness?'"

And the winners are?

Sperling has a fairly complex ranking system for the 2010 "Manliest Cities in America" list — one with a number of testosterone-driven categories by which a city's manliness points are scored.

The number of professional sports teams in a city, consumer behaviors including vehicle purchases, extracurricular activities, concentrations of "manly" stores, male magazine subscriptions (e.g., Maxim and Sports Illustrated), and occupations were among the items analyzed to determine rankings.

Alternately, "emasculating criteria" were also factored in to balance the statistics. Think minivans, cafés, and outlet and apparel shopping, and one might gain a handle on the counterpoint criteria.

It's a far cry from many "best/worst of" lists that Cleveland has landed on over the years. Forbes magazine's 2010 "Most Miserable City" index was the most recent, with "high unemployment, high taxes, lousy weather, corruption by public officials and crummy sports teams" used to calculate that ranking.

Cleveland was No. 1 on that list.

We're No. 15?

Unlike the Forbes ballyhoo, this manlier distinction has been confusingly humorous to current and former Clevelanders.

"Cleveland has nothing, according to Forbes earlier in the year," jokes North Ridgeville native Jim Rothgery. "If that is the case, you have to be manly to live in Cleveland!"

"(What) constitutes manly?" counters Cleveland native Genna Petrolla, who keeps her pulse on Cleveland at the helm of a local arts blog Messy Magazine. "Lots of dudes grunting and eating meat and watching sports? Gross, gross, gross!"

"I don't know," says Rob Humphries of Solon, continuing with a laugh. "A part of me thinks it's kind of un-manly to get excited about coming in 15th at anything."

Referring to the long-standing "sports curse" and championship drought suffered by residents, Cleveland expat Phil Shepley sums up the "win" with a line every Clevelander can relate to.

"Any man in Cleveland who hasn't cried for the past 46 years is a real man," says the Tampa, Fla., resident. "That being said, (Sperling's) definition of 'manly' seems to be a little, well, off."

Content provided by Associated Content from Yahoo!

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

LOL... Retarded ~~ But Congrats !!

Archived