THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns DE Smith charged with handgun possession at airport

POSTED BY: DON DELCO

ON THURSDAY, JULY 01, 2010 AT 21:13:00

Another Browns D-lineman facing gun charge

A report by Dana DeFever of The Flint Journal is reporting Browns defensive lineman Robaire Smith was found with a loaded gun on his carry-on luggage at the Bishop Airport in Flint, Mich. on Nov. 6, 2009.

Sound familiar? Five months after Smith was arrested, Browns defensive lineman Shaun Rogers had a similar experience at Cleveland Hopkins Airport. On April 1, 2010, Rogers had a loaded gun on his person as he tried to board a plane.

According to DeFever, Smith's charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Meanwhile, Rogers' lawyer said he plans to plead not guilty to a concealed weapon charge, which is a felony.

How this plays out in the courts remains to be seen, but we do know NFL commissioner Roger Goodell doesn't take lightly on these types of occurrences.

In 2009, Bills running back Marshawn Lynch was arrested on felony gun charges in California. Lynch was suspended by the NFL for the first three games last season.

Goodell's reign as commissioner is littered with player after player serving suspensions for off-the-field indiscretions. Now, it is time to hurry up and wait on Goddell to see how much time off he plans to issue Smith and Rogers

Could we have 2 starting D-lineman suspended for the start of the regular reason.....I never even heard anything about the Robaire Smith incident

Wow, that is just unthinkable, and is so embarrassing.

i looked up the story. i don't know what to make of it. i hope it is not true. If it is, then either the Cleveland media got scooped by some lady reporter named Dana DeFever, or the Cleveland media just regards this as a journeyman lineman facing misdemeanor charges.

Here is an exceprt.......Smith’s attorney, Frank J. Manley, called it an unfortunate incident and said Smith has been a role model for the community.

He probably has been a role model for the community, except for the part where he tried to carry a gun on an airplane. The gun had 15 to 17 rounds in it. But relax, none were in the chamber. He's got that going for him.

I will say as a long time gun owner it is inconceivable to me you simply forget you had a loaded gun in the luggage....though I did forget I had a plastic bottle of bourbon in my luggage and had it confiscated one time....

I will say as a long time gun owner it is inconceivable to me you simply forget you had a loaded gun in the luggage....though I did forget I had a plastic bottle of bourbon in my luggage and had it confiscated one time....

Here's a true story from the old stadium. Most of us carried a small flask in, especially when it got cold. We'd done it for years and i had no idea it was against the rules. Well, it was.

i didn't try to conceal it and the guard saw it in my coat as i was approaching the gate. He stopped me and told me that he couldn't let me in with the liquor. i was feeling pretty good from the pregame assembly. i told him, No problem. i left the line and walked to the trash pile to pour it out. The guard saw me grab the flask and grabbed me as i was about to pour.

He said, "Stop. Don't pour that out. I can't let you in now that I've seen it. Just go to the next gate and hide it better!" i did. i miss the old days, but not the old stadium.

Here's a true story from the old stadium. Most of us carried a small flask in, especially when it got cold. We'd done it for years and i had no idea it was against the rules. Well, it was.

i didn't try to conceal it and the guard saw it in my coat as i was approaching the gate. He stopped me and told me that he couldn't let me in with the liquor. i was feeling pretty good from the pregame assembly. i told him, No problem. i left the line and walked to the trash pile to pour it out. The guard saw me grab the flask and grabbed me as i was about to pour.

He said, "Stop. Don't pour that out. I can't let you in now that I've seen it. Just go to the next gate and hide it better!" i did. i miss the old days, but not the old stadium.

Yeah, the Young 'Uns would probably not believe the stuff you used to be able to haul into the Stadium WAY back in the day. Before you even had to hide anything, we were accustomed to bringing in a five gallon Coleman loaded up with beer, and the guards never even bothered to check what was in it.

And to those that preferred smoking to drinking there was the infamous "O" Zone in the Upper Deck.

You couldn't flagrantly wave around a fifth of Jack when you were walking through the gate- but no one was asking what was in those 2 liter bottles of Coke besides soda pop.

I have heard they even let drunken limeys in these days.

Back to topic, I find it amazing that these guys who are in such a privileged position can so so many dumb things? Do you think they like the attention or are they just plain dumb arsed idiots? As you all know, me being English, the thought of a civilian carrying a gun is terrifying, having a loaded one at an airport or on a plane is beyond belief.

If Rogers carries a loaded gun in his hand luggage to an airport, does he pack an M60 on a night out with the boys?

I hope Rogers doesn't get benched - if he does can we stop paying him for being such an idiot. Actually Ballpeen's right, he'll sit at home eating burgers cleaning out his pump action and be no good to us anyway.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818f...sion-at-airport

Cleveland Browns defensive end Robaire Smith faces a gun charge stemming from a 2009 incident in which a loaded firearm was found in his carry-on luggage at a Michigan airport, the Flint Journal reported Thursday.

Smith, 32, was scheduled to board a Nov. 6 flight from Flint to Atlanta when an X-ray machine detected the gun in his bag, Genesee County prosecutor David Leyton said. Smith then told airport security that he had forgotten the gun -- a Belgium 5.7 caliber with between 15 and 17 rounds in the magazine -- was in his possession, according to Leyton.

Smith is charged with possession of a firearm in a sterile area of a commercial airport. The misdemeanor carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Smith's attorney, Frank J. Manley, said the NFL has been aware of the incident and already imposed discipline on the player. Smith is a 10-year NFL veteran who played the past three seasons for the Browns after stints with the Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans.

The incident with Smith is similar to one that involved Browns teammate Shaun Rogers earlier this year. Rogers was arrested April 1 at Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland after a loaded gun was found in his carry-on luggage.

Rogers was charged with carrying a concealed weapon. That case has yet to be resolved.

Well, Barry Switzer did the same thing many years ago when he was Cowboys HC.

You know the one incident I am happy about?: The Plaxico Burress incident. Here you had one of these F***ing Dumbasses who was carrying a gun around Do the Right Thing: he shot his own sorry, stupid ass with it.

I wish to hell a lot more of them would do that. Shoot their own dumb asses with their own stupid gun. That is what they really deserve, and I wish more of them would get it.

:huh: so what is his punishment? was he already punished and we just didn't know about it?

The post says that the case hasn't been resolved yet. He could get a max of one year in prison and a one thousand dollar find.

The post says that the case hasn't been resolved yet. He could get a max of one year in prison and a one thousand dollar find.

i was asking about the info that i quoted. it said the nfl was aware of this incident and already imposed discipline on robaire. i was wondering about the nfl's punishment, not the police.

Smith's attorney, Frank J. Manley, said the NFL has been aware of the incident and already imposed discipline on the player.

from what this post suggests, the nfl has already punished robaire or they let him know what his punishment will be.

plastic bottle of booze......yea that's what they all say when their penis pumps are confiscated

Archived