THE BROWNS BOARD

McCoy: Let's Just Get This Out There (!)

shepwrite

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you've been very forthright about your disdain for McCoy. Sorry you feel that way, but he is a Brown now -- and probably for several years to come. I still firmly believe that he will be a success.

And Clausen? The length of his initial contract as a jouirneyman.

Well, you've been very forthright about your disdain for McCoy. Sorry you feel that way, but he is a Brown now -- and probably for several years to come. I still firmly believe that he will be a success.

And Clausen? The length of his initial contract as a jouirneyman.

I don't hold him in disdain. He seems like a nice kid and has a dry sense of humor that showed up during draft season. I just have never thought he'd end up a good pro. Just my feeling.

I haven't seen him play enough to have a strong opinion. When people said Drew Breese couldn't make it I strongly disagreed because I had watched him rip OSU to shreds during his college career. Colt has the intelligence to make it. When everyone loved brady I disagreed because I had watched him fall apart in some big games.

Colt's height and arm strength could hurt his chances and then you really need to find out just how a guy handles the pressures.

It can be debated until we are blue in the face.

Until the guy goes out and determines his fate, we are simply guessing as to whether or not he will have a solid pro career.

I liked Tebow better than any of the others, but that may be my heart overriding my brain.

The point isn't to drum up more debate. It simply shows all of the QBs this year had some good things and some negative things. I don't think any of them, including Bradford, were guys you looked at and could put a "can't miss" label on their back.

So it simply comes down to what each of us like and what each of us considers most important in a qb.

As for our guy... Pre draft I wouldn't have selected Colt. But then again I wasn't thinking he would be around in round 3 either. I think for the draft position he is solid value because he does have positive skills. How those skills translate to the NFL game, time will tell.

It is a positive that Holmgrem put his foot down at that pick. If he sees some things that makes him feel that McCoy can be a good football player, it's hard for me to argue with that.

In terms of Colt being compared with browns players of the past, he stacks up pretty closely with Brian Sipe...they seem pretty similar in size and ability as far as measurables. He also looks a bit like Paul McDonald excepting McDonald was left handed. I didn't say Frye because Colt played at a much higher level in college as did McDonald.

Is Colt going to be like Paul, or like Brian??

That's the $25,000 question.

I wouldn't have drafted him at all. I don't have a good vibe on his odds of being special in the NFL.

Well, now this is a comment I can back up, in-so-much as it makes sense based on your feelings. You don't like his skills and attributes as a player, so you wouldn't have drafted him.

But why would the guy above say, that he was not impressed at all by him, therefore figured he was a 3rd round value. I don't get that. If he didn't impress you, why would you consider drafted him at all.

On the other hand, McCoy has impressed me, and I am excited to see what the years to come will bring with him.

I wouldn't have drafted him at all. I don't have a good vibe on his odds of being special in the NFL.

That's nice, but you're not an expert, and Mike Holmgren is, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Turn the battery on your dildo off! OK, now that you have done that, what do you think? (You know, you gotta hit the g spot with those things) :P

um so we got value????

your a dumb xxxx..........

Try a reading comprehension class at your local JC. I'll try again, and type slower. Since I work on Saturdays, that game was the most I have ever seen Colt play. The only other footage of him that I have seen, was the pre-draft montages. So, in the only complete game that I have ever seen him in, he looked terrible. I know that he set some lofty numbers throughout his career, so that's why I said he was drafted where he belonged............Since team, after team, after team, after team passed on him on draft day, I guess they tend to agree with me, and not you.

Hi everyone, obviously a first time poster here.

I'm a diehard Denver Broncos/Texas Longhorns fan. I frequent the Orange Mane [ http://orangemane.com ], but might be dropping by to keep tabs on my friend Colt.

To the OP, I think Colt might surprise. He's got a high football IQ, can make all the throws, has a decent release and can make plays with his legs. You can compare him to Matt Hasselbeck (who has obviously thrived with Holmgren). He's got great intangibles and a fair arm. My biggest worry would be injury.

And just a note, I don't think we'd even be having this debate had Colt finished what he started and brought another one home to Austin. B)

Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

I watched every throw Colt made in college & can tell ya that Cleveland is getting a highly efficient, athletic quarterback. He played rather fantastic for his entire career. Granted, he inherited a premiere squad in 06/07. But for the 08/09 campaigns, he was the offense.

And he's a winner, damnit.

I watched every throw Colt made in college & can tell ya that Cleveland is getting a highly efficient, athletic quarterback. He played rather fantastic for his entire career. Granted, he inherited a premiere squad in 06/07. But for the 08/09 campaigns, he was the offense.

And he's a winner, damnit.

yeah, he was a great college QB, no doubt about that. So were Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Ty Detmer, and Eric Crouch. It doesn't mean anything about his ability as a pro, which remains to be seen.

Thanks for checking in, Hook. I clearly have reservations about McCoy's arm, zip, and sketchy spiral... way more than I do about his size. He's Brees-ish, taller than Garcia, and clearly muscling up. I just didn't see an NFL passer on tape or watching games.

But Holmgren has said the McCoy he'll unveil in another year will be a very different guy. I'm intrigued at the notion of a science experiment. Kinda cool.

Thanks for checking in, Hook. I clearly have reservations about McCoy's arm, zip, and sketchy spiral... way more than I do about his size. He's Brees-ish, taller than Garcia, and clearly muscling up. I just didn't see an NFL passer on tape or watching games.

But Holmgren has said the McCoy he'll unveil in another year will be a very different guy. I'm intrigued at the notion of a science experiment. Kinda cool.

I'd be a lot more excited about Colt and his long term future with the Brown's if his apparent mentor wasn't a 35 yo qb whose perfomance the past few years has been anything but inspiring. No doubt, Jake

has had his moments duriing his 12 year career but i question how much of a teacher he can be to a youngster entering the league when he himself is learning a new offensive system....

Jake did groom well his replacement at his past club but the atmosphere was much more stable than what he is entering now.......

I do not totally agree with walrus' assertion that Colt won't see any action this year. Colt needs to keep his edge because i sense as the season progresses Jake and his unproven backup Seneca aren't going to

provide the qb stability the MH is counting on....Hope i am wrong but memories (nightmares) of recent cleveland qb folly remain strong and impossible to ignore

I am as interested in a science experiment as the next fan.......here's hoping that it does not evolve into science fiction

Not to change the subject too much but I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis Dixon in a Browns uniform instead of the Steelers. I liked what I saw of him in Oregon and really liked what I saw against Baltimore. For having no regular season experience he played one hell of a game last year. I'd wouldn't mind in the least if we picked him up some how. Now my thoughts on Mc Coy. I liked the pick. I believe this kid will prepare himself each week and encourage the other young players to do the same. I'm sure he's well aware of his limits and will over come them as time goes along. He was fun to watch at Texas and I'm sure he'll be fun to watch as a Brown. I like guys that can play the game. Plain and simple just like Coach Boone said in Remember the Titans to "Sunshine" Ronny Bass "You can throw it a mile but can't pitch it 3 ft." As it turns out he figured that out by playing the game. Derek Anderception had an absolute cannon but couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the middle of Lake Eerie. So weaker armed guys just have to find their niche. Chad Pennington was a very accurate quarterback and had a noodle arm but was still a good qb given all of his disadvantages. He still won ball games and that's what it comes down to is if he can win. Doesn't matter how it's just if he can win.

Not to change the subject too much but I wouldn't mind seeing Dennis Dixon in a Browns uniform instead of the Steelers. I liked what I saw of him in Oregon and really liked what I saw against Baltimore. For having no regular season experience he played one hell of a game last year. I'd wouldn't mind in the least if we picked him up some how. Now my thoughts on Mc Coy. I liked the pick. I believe this kid will prepare himself each week and encourage the other young players to do the same. I'm sure he's well aware of his limits and will over come them as time goes along. He was fun to watch at Texas and I'm sure he'll be fun to watch as a Brown. I like guys that can play the game. Plain and simple just like Coach Boone said in Remember the Titans to "Sunshine" Ronny Bass "You can throw it a mile but can't pitch it 3 ft." As it turns out he figured that out by playing the game. Derek Anderception had an absolute cannon but couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the middle of Lake Eerie. So weaker armed guys just have to find their niche. Chad Pennington was a very accurate quarterback and had a noodle arm but was still a good qb given all of his disadvantages. He still won ball games and that's what it comes down to is if he can win. Doesn't matter how it's just if he can win.

Good point about arm strength its not the end all solution, an accurate noodle armed qb that knows what he can and cant do along with the right playbook and supporting cast can be an absolute nightmare to opposing teams..im not really sure colt is a true noodle arm though as much as a mid strength QB with good vision and the ability to make things happen..

oh, my.

Brian Sipe was 6'1" tall, Drew Brees 6'...

and so much analysis over arm strength, and wayyyyy too much undervaluing of

Colt Mccoy's arm.

With an offense that has enough players to be -able- to kick butt,

you dont need an all time thoroughbred qb to win. What you need, are players with heart and skills who are winners..

Colt Mccoy is a WINNER on and off the field. Two years from now, who would complain about having Mccoy and Locker? as our qb's

I love the winning with heart. That's Browns' football to me.

This is going to be a terrific, fun season with our Browms on the Right tracks.

http://www.coltmccoyfans.org/

Colt McCoy

Full Name : Colt McCoy

Born : September 5, 1986

Hometown : Hobbs, NM

Height : 6 foot 3

Weight : 205 lbs.

High School : Jim Ned HS

College : Texas Longhorns

Position : Quarterback

Colt McCoy

2008 - 2009

On January 2, 2008 UT running back Jamaal Charles decided to forgo his senior season with Texas in favor of joining the NFL as a professional football player in the 2008 NFL Draft. With Charles' departure, McCoy became the leading returning rusher for the 2008 Longhorns.[83]

McCoy rose in the record books during the first four games of the season. On August 30, 2008 McCoy passed for 222 yards and rushed for 103 yards against FAU, becoming the 2nd player in UT history to pass for 200 and rush for 100 yards in more than one game; the other being Vince Young. On September 20 Colt McCoy surpassed the Texas All-Time record for the most passing TD's with 62 while beating Rice 52–10. The record was previously held by Major Applewhite.[10] Through the first four games of 2008, McCoy completed 80% of his passes and had a quarterback rating of 209.71.[84]

Colt McCoy about to throw a 65-yard touchdown pass to Chris Ogbonnaya in the win over Colorado.The Longhorns opened conference play against the Colorado Buffaloes and UT won 38–14. McCoy threw for two touchdowns and moved past Ricky Williams into second on Texas' all-time list for touchdowns responsible for (passing, rushing, receiving). McCoy at that point had 77, while Williams had 76 with the Horns.[85] UT continued conference play by defeating #1 ranked Oklahoma Sooners in the 2008 Texas vs. Oklahoma football game. McCoy was 28 for 35 for 277 yards and one touchdown,[86] bringing Texas to the position of the #1 in the AP poll for the first time since 1984. (passing Alabama, Missouri, Oklahoma, and LSU.)

On October 18, against Missouri, McCoy completed the game with 337 yards on 29-of-32 passing with two touchdowns, rushed for two more and at one point completed a school-record 17 passes in a row. His completion ratio of 79% coming into the game improved as he completed 91% of his passes in this game. His four touchdowns put him alone in first place for the most career touchdowns scored at Texas (82), passing Vince Young (81).[12]

McCoy throws a pass against Baylor.UT lost to Texas Tech with one second remaining in the game. McCoy gave a good performance but came up short as his Red Raider counterpart, Graham Harrell had an outstanding day. Following that loss, UT fell to #4 in the BCS rankings. They climbed to #3 the following week as the Horns beat Baylor and former #3 Penn State lost. The win over Baylor was the 829th win for the UT football program, which tied Notre Dame for 2nd in the list of college football's ten most victorious programs.[87]

McCoy led the Longhorns to a 35–7 road victory over the Kansas, ensuring their eighth consecutive season with ten or more wins per season. That is the longest active streak in the nation and it ties them with Miami (1985-92) for the second-longest streak of all-time. It was Colt McCoy's 30th career win, which tied him with Vince Young for the school record.[11] McCoy completed 24 of 35 passing attempts (71%) for 255 yards and 2 touchdown passes. He was also the leading rusher for both schools, rushing for 78 yards and a touchdown.[88] McCoy's two touchdown passes put him at 31 for the season, breaking his own school record.[11]

McCoy had another great performance against in-state rival Texas A&M in the final game of the regular season. This is the the longest running rivalry both schools and the biggest margin of victory in the history of the rivalry occurred when Texas beat A&M 48–0 in 1898.[13] McCoy and the Longhorns nearly equaled that record this year by producing a 49–9 victory, the second-largest margin of victory for this rivalry series.

The win was the 31st for Colt McCoy, setting a new school record. McCoy threw ran for 2 touchdowns and threw for 2 more. He completed 23 of 28 attempted passes (82%) for a total of 311 yards. That yardage put him at 3,594 yards for the season - another school record.[13] His longest pass of the evening, 68 yarder on a post route to Jordan Shipley late in the third quarter, ended up a yard short of being McCoy’s fifth touchdown of the evening.

On December 8, 2008, after the Longhorns learned they had been passed over for the national championship game, McCoy said he would return to the team for his senior year. McCoy indicated he wants to play for a national championship. He also said, "I’m coming back because we have a solid coaching staff, and I’m coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have".

On January 5, 2009, McCoy led the Longhorns to 24–21 victory over Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. McCoy completed 41-of-59 passes for 414 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He was named the Offensive Player of the Game for his performance

Ohio State vs Texas Colt McCoy 14 yard Touchdown Fiesta Bowl 2009

Longhorns TD Colt McCoy rushed to the right for 14 yard gain (Hunter Lawrence made PAT) 6 - 10

Colt McCoy leads Texas to final minute win over OSU, Fiesta Bowl 2009 pt. 2

Colt McCoy's passes in the last minute of the game lead to victory over Buckeyes in 2009 Fiesta Bowl despite brilliant play by Pryor, Boeckman, and Wells. I do not own this video. All rights go to Fox Sports.

Colt McCoy phone interview on Sports Center after winning the 2009 Fiesta Bowl

Colt McCoy does an interview on Sports Center after winning the 2009 Fiesta Bowl against ohio state

Colt McCoy Records:

•UT - Most Total Touchdowns, Career: 82+ (Took lead on October 18, 2008 versus Missouri)

•UT - Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 62+ (Took lead on September 20, 2008 versus Rice)

•UT - Most Touchdown Passes, Single Season: 29, (2006 season),[5] beaten by McCoy in 2008

•UT - Most Touchdown Passes, Single Season: 31+, (2008 season - reached 31 on November 15, 2008 vs. the Kansas Jayhawks)

•UT - Most Touchdown Passes, Game: 6, (October 14, 2006 versus Baylor)

•UT - Most Passing Completions, Game: 32, (September 15, 2007 versus UCF)

•UT - Most Consecutive Passing Completions, Game: 18 (October 25, 2008 versus Oklahoma State (surpassed his own record of 17 on October 18, 2008 versus Missouri).

•UT - Most Career wins as a quarterback: 30+ (November 27, 2008 vs. Texas A&M, surpassed Vince Young)

•UT - Most Career passing yards, Season: 3,594+ yards (November 27, 2008 vs. Texas A&M, surpassed Major Applewhite)

•UT - Tie - Most Passing Attempts, Game: 47, (September 15, 2007 versus UCF)

•NCAA - tied the freshman record of 29 touchdown passes established by Nevada's David Neill in 1998 - This record has since been broken by Oklahoma's Sam Bradford in the 2007 season

Colt McCoy Awards:

Named the quarterback to the College Football News 2006 "All Freshman Team" •Named 2006 “National Freshman of the Year” by The Sporting News and the Touchdown Club of Columbus

•Named Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year by the Associated Press.

•Named the 2008 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press

•Named the 2008 Big 12 2nd Team Quarterback by the Associated Press

•Named the 2008 Walter Camp Award by the Walter Camp Foundation

•Named the 2008 All America 1st Team Quarterback by the Walter Camp Foundation,[110] FWAA, and Sports Illustrated

•Named the 2008 Heisman Memorial Trophy Runner-up

Colt McCoy News:

•Seven questions with UT tackle Kyle Hix

•McCoy: Didn't know rule about stopping clock

•Beasley eligible to play Saturday

•Report: Insurance policy on Colt McCoy

•McCoy placed NFL on hold for shot at national title with Texas

•Texas Longhorns Football: Offseason Workout Report

•Colt McCoy Looks to Lead Texas Longhorns to National Title

•Handicapping the 2009 Heisman Race

•Orakpo Ready to Make an Impact for the Skins

•Texas Senate honors UT's Colt McCoy

•Colt McCoy to speak at Jim Ned chamber banquet

•SPRING FORWARD

•Longhorns' return for Pro Timing Day

•McCoy will make a return trip to Peru for spring break

•UT's Brown accepts Bobby Dodd award

•UT’s Brown returns to Lubbock for West Texas clinic

•Oklahoma has apparently lost out on one of its top targets from the 2010 recruiting class

•QB Case McCoy to play for Texas

•Texas WR Shipley undergoes surgery

•UT recruit looks like can't-miss kid

•Return of top three QBs will make 2009 special

•UT, Utah, USC deserve votes of confidence

•Fiesta Bowl Recap - Ohio State 21, Texas 24

•I have seen the future of UT football

•Big D from Texas?

•Texas Longhorns backers set to launch '45-35' sign campaign

•The Eyes are on: 3 Aggies Texas must watch

•Saturday night showdown for Heisman Trophy

•Longhorns would like to run at the Bears

•Orakpo, McCoy, Brown in semis for major trophies

•Picks: Texas Tech gets big shot

•Orakpo a sack machine for No. 1 Texas

•'Horns aim to spread out passes

•Buffs host 'Horns in Big 12 opener

•Hogs and 'Horns hook up in Austin

•Owls and Longhorns tangle in Lone Star State showdown

•Keeping it clean

•Longhorns head to El Paso to tangle with Miners

•Dallas Cowboys NFL draft series: Texas running back Jamaal Charles

•USA Today has Colt McCoy as top sleeper Heisman contender

•Texas Longhorns' McCoy: Halfbacks are dead even

•This Colt is on the run

•Position Preview: Quarterbacks

•Day 3 - Big 12 Media Days

•Inside the Locker Room

•Former Texas Longhorns tackle Tony Hills signs with Steelers

•Daniel to coach Elite 11 - again

•Abrams will return to Texas

•Different type of off-season goal takes Colt McCoy to Peru

•UT Quarterback Colt McCoy in the Falls

•Mildren never will be forgotten

•Texas, Young number one on ESPN.com BCS bowl rankings

•Defensive tackle Calvin Howell is commitment 18

•Hall named to Rimington Trophy watch list

•Horns, Trojans produce NFL talent

•Longhorn pipeline may flow

•Orakpo named to Lott Trophy watch list

•Colt McCoy tells young athletes to be an example

•Spring football wrapup

•Dallas Cowboys NFL draft series: Texas running back Jamaal Charles

•Govs', Texas' Thursday interview and practice schedules set

•UT's Colt McCoy to speak at FCA event

•Tracking the Longhorns

•Texas-Texas A&M football rivalry returns to Thanksgiving night

•New coaches, systems, addresses among top spring stories

•Football: Permian’s Porter commits to Texas

•Texas whips Nation, evens series

•Ross Overcame Obstacles To Make It To Pros

•Davis to make $425,000, matching pay of Muschamp

•Applewhite returns to Texas

•Finley bolts Horns for shot at NFL

•COL FB: Texas A&M 38, Texas 30

•COL FB: Texas 59, Texas Tech 43

•Field goal at end caps Horns' stirring comeback over Pokes

•COL FB: Texas 31, Baylor 10

•Final: Texas defeats Iowa State 56-3

•Sooners Get Back On Track With 28-21 Win Over Longhorns

•Texas trying to find an identity for Oklahoma

•Wildcats turn table again on McCoy, No. 7 Longhorns

•McCoy passes for 333 yards as Horns bruise Owls

•Horns look to play football, forget arrests

•Horns' McCoy, Charles team up to end UCF's upset bid

•Win or lose, this is historic day for Knights

•McCoy, Texas regain composure to handle TCU

•Can TCU bug Texas this time?

•Arkansas State 13, Texas 21

•Richer Mack, more mature Colt lead No. 4 Texas against Arkansas State

•McCoy becomes Longhorns leader.

I'd be a lot more excited about Colt and his long term future with the Brown's if his apparent mentor wasn't a 35 yo qb whose perfomance the past few years has been anything but inspiring. No doubt, Jake

has had his moments duriing his 12 year career but i question how much of a teacher he can be to a youngster entering the league when he himself is learning a new offensive system....

Jake did groom well his replacement at his past club but the atmosphere was much more stable than what he is entering now.......

I do not totally agree with walrus' assertion that Colt won't see any action this year. Colt needs to keep his edge because i sense as the season progresses Jake and his unproven backup Seneca aren't going to

provide the qb stability the MH is counting on....Hope i am wrong but memories (nightmares) of recent cleveland qb folly remain strong and impossible to ignore

I am as interested in a science experiment as the next fan.......here's hoping that it does not evolve into science fiction

Jake's not here to mentor or teach backups, he's here to win football games.

Delhomme and Wallace are veteran QBs from winning systems, if they rub off on McCoy, fine, but it's not going to make or break McCoy, and frankly, I don't think the Browns are that focused on McCoy right now, he's a third round pick, we'll sign him to a long term contract and if he develops that's great, but we've only got a third round pick invested in him. It's one of the smartest things this new brass has done.

Holmgren brought in a couple of QBs that can help us win football games today. He has to be excited about the prospect of our running game and another year in Mangini's defensive system with some new talent on that side of the ball. The only guys Jake is supposed to mentor are the young receivers, and if they come along this year we can contend in 2010.

Zombo

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i liked McCoy the most out of any QB in this draft class just because he seems like he loves the game of football,couldnt stand really the other ones very much...I think next year is the year of the quarterback with Locker,Luck,and Mallett..Yet he may be undersized and not have the greatest arm strength but hes a proven winner and with his track record i cant see why the third round in the draft isnt a place to take a chance on a player with that kind of track record...Not to much invested in him,as far as delhomme is concerned im very skeptical about him and i had high hopes still because i remember that super bowl with patriots and panthers going back and forth like that,as far as Seneca Wallace goes wasnt Hasselbeck out for much of the past two seasons and did he really flourish i dont watch alot of there games but as i recall he was average at best..

• 2 weeks later...

l_8fea32ddb90c43ac86125a7bb8a681f7.jpg

Article from : nfl jerseys collection blog

The Cleveland Browns have signed one of the team’s two third-round draft picks,quarterback Colt McCoy.McCoy,112 touchdowns and 6-foot-1 and 216 pounds, passed for 13,253 yards at Texas, both school records. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy as a junior and a senior. McCoy went 45-8 as a four-year starter with the Longhorns, leaving as college football’s career leader in victories.

Even if he had to wait until the third round to be selected by the Cleveland in April,McCoy called joining the Browns “the perfect fit.”

Browns president Mike Holmgren already has said he wants McCoy to stay on the sideline next season, learning behind veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace.

5 million is low for Colt,a 3rd round draft pick.It’s a blessing to the Browns that Colt dropped to where he did and if I was expecting a holdout from anyone, it would have been Colt because it was rather similar to the Brady Quinn situation. But Colt can come in and learn the offense and I think he’s the type of player that will make his players better around him due to his leadership, accuracy, and desire to win.

Archived