THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Starts on the Right Side of the Line?

shepwrite

Great article:

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x227291136...-to-Browns-line

Count me as one who thinks Womack played well at both positions last year, but best at RT. If Lauvao could start at RG, I think that's actually our best lineup, even though we signed Pashos to play RT. Coaches seem really pleased at everything they've seen from Lauvao, a beast and prototypical RG road-grader.

But as Steve D. (or "staff") suggests, the best line for this year might be Womack/Pashos, while Lauvao figures things out and takes over the RG spot next year.

Great article:

Count me as one who thinks Womack played well at both positions last year, but best at RT. If Lauvao could start at RG, I think that's actually our best lineup, even though we signed Pashos to play RT. Coaches seem really pleased at everything they've seen from Lauvao, a beast and prototypical RG road-grader.

But as Steve D. (or "staff") suggests, the best line for this year might be Womack/Pashos, while Lauvao figures things out and takes over the RG spot next year.

It is interesting, that as soon as Womack moved to RT, the Browns had the ridiculous rushing to end the season.

I think it a stretch to think Lauvao grabs a starting position this year.

The kid has power and good upside to turn in to a pretty good player, but OL is one of those positions where unless you are pretty much a elite prospect, experience means a lot.

He's going to need some time.

Give him a year or so and he can become the type of player who starts 7-8 seasons before the next youngblood shoves him aside..

The Browns have several new faces to go along with the returning players on the offensive line.

Over the next few weeks, ClevelandBrowns.com will take a look at the 2010 Browns, position-by-position. Today’s spotlight is on the Browns’ offensive line.

Overview:

Versatility is a word Eric Mangini used to describe a key characteristic of his offensive line during the 2009 season. Though some changes have been made in the trenches, versatility will again be an important factor for the men up front.

During the off-season, the Browns made several additions to the offensive line: Tony Pashos (signed/free agent), Joel Reinders (signed/rookie free agent), Casey Bender (signed/rookie free agent), Shawn Lauvao (Draft) and Paul Fanaika (claimed off waivers).

The off-season acquisitions add depth and strength to the returning group of linemen: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Alex Mack, John St. Clair, Floyd Womack, Billy Yates (re-signed), Scott Kooistra (signed/free agent after spending time with the team in 2009) and Pat Murray (signed/free agent after spending time on the practice squad in 2009).

The offensive line played an important role in running back Jerome Harrison’s record-breaking performances at the end of 2009. They helped Harrison gain 286 yards against the Chiefs, a team record and the third-best single-game total in NFL history. Harrison had a team-record 39 carries against the Raiders a week later.

The Browns’ offensive line will again be anchored by Thomas at left tackle. Thomas became the first Browns offensive lineman to make three consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl since the late Pro Football Hall of Famer Gene Hickerson played in six all-star games from 1966-1971. He gave up one sack during the 2009 season.

“It’s a pretty small margin for error to give up no sacks,” Mangini said during the mini-camp weekend. “He’s pretty good, in looking at a lot of left tackles we had. There’s a lot of little things that he can do better, we talk about with him and work on with him but he’s, I think, a unique guy.”

Next to Thomas will be a mainstay at left guard in Eric Steinbach. Along with versatility, Steinbach brings durability to the offensive line. After missing two games during the 2008 season, Steinbach started all 16 contests for the Browns in 2009.

What To Watch For: The development of second-year center Alex Mack.

Mack had a steep learning curve in his transition from the college to professional levels. However, he was able to turn those Training Camp and preseason laps around on the field into a successful rookie year. At the end of the season, Mack was named to The Sporting News’ 2009 NFL All-Rookie Team.

Mack was impressive in his ability to get the ball to the quarterback cleanly and have the quick reaction times needed to block the AFC North’s biggest nose tackles in Pittsburgh’s Casey Hampton and Baltimore’s Haloti Ngata. On several of the Browns’ long running plays, Mack was spotted downfield making key blocks for extra yardage.

Key Stat:

Under first-year Browns coach George Warhop, the offensive line allowed just 30 sacks last season.

Players to Watch:

In order to add depth and size up front, the Browns signed Tony Pashos during the free agency period. Pashos, a 6-foot-6, 326-pounder is an eight-year veteran and brings AFC North roots to Cleveland. Pashos spent the previous three seasons of his career with the 49ers and Jaguars, but was drafted and played for five years in the Ravens organization.

The Browns also drafted an offensive lineman when they took Arizona State product Shawn Lauvao with the 28th pick in the third round (No. 92 overall). The 6-foot-2, 315-pound Lauvao, who has trained in strongman competitions, can work in at the guard or center spots.

Clearly this is the strength of our offense, even with the question marks on the right side. I'm with most people here that Womack and Pashos on the right side with Lauvao waiting in the wings. If we have to use someone else at right tackle, someone please steal St. Clair's helmet before it's too late.

All kidding aside, this offensive line can really take games over, which is unusual to say about an offensive line. Mack is a future Pro Bowler playing alongside two current/past ones in Steiny and Joe. Tough, physical, Mangini football will be the order of the day come Sundays at 1pm this fall.

I think it a stretch to think Lauvao grabs a starting position this year.

The kid has power and good upside to turn in to a pretty good player, but OL is one of those positions where unless you are pretty much a elite prospect, experience means a lot.

He's going to need some time.

Give him a year or so and he can become the type of player who starts 7-8 seasons before the next youngblood shoves him aside..

Right, the rare ones can come in and excel right away (see: Joe Thomas), but OL is a lot like QB. It takes time to develop and understand a system and to get experience in that system and in the league. Once they get it though, and if they are any good, you may have a valuable asset for a long time.

Third round pick is fairly high for a guard. He'll be expected to start eventually. Agreed that it might not be immediately.

No doubt a 3rd round guard will be expected to turn in to a starting player.....maybe it's by the end of the season.....shoot, maybe it's the first game....I just don't expect that.

Next season he should be the guy to beat for sure.

Great article:

I go out and get Flozzo Adams and T.O and make a real run at this shtt.

Great article:

See I was surprised by the Pashos signing because I remember him being pretty terrible in Jacksonville. He's going to be camp fodder if you ask me but I guess everyone will find out soon enough. He's never impressed me and has bounced around the league quite a bit for a reason.

I go out and get Flozzo Adams and T.O and make a real run at this shtt.

Sure if you want to pay both a astronomical amount of money. Adams wants 4 million a year which is crazy and T.O can't be far behind. I'd take T.O because the man is a workhorse and in the right offense I still think he can really excel. Adams is a RT now if you ask me, certainly not a LT and really only does well in the run game. Neither would add anywhere close to enough to make a run at anything if signed by the Browns.

Archived